Author Topic: Older places that have gone/changed in Liverpool  (Read 82472 times)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Older places that have gone/changed in Liverpool
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:42 pm »
A must watch for me this, thanks 5 times.

It was rather good that.
Did I mishear that bit when he said 75%(?) of terraced stock was demolished?

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:45 pm »
A request!

If you were to enter Stanley Park from Anfield Road, you would walk down a path that splits two playing fields in half, and leads you all the way down to the crematorium on Priory Road.

Jesus. Most of us have walked or played on it at one time or another.

It's a straight, yet unremarkable path through the park, but how many of you realise that it has an official name?

You'll find that name on some maps, yet not on others.

It's name, I here you ask?  ---  Mill Lane.

Now I have maps of the Anfield area going back to about 1900, but something has always bugged me.

Stanley Park was opened in 1870.  Anfield crematorium was opened circa 1861, but what was there before?

I've always presumed that prior to the park being laid down  in 1870, there must of actually been a thoroughfare in that spot, called Mill Lane, in fact, there might of been an actual mill in the area at one point, and they just kept the name. It would stand to reason.

So, to the request.

Has anyone got, or has access to a map of the Anfield area, prior to 1870, and or if possible, prior to 1860?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2016, 12:34:16 am »

This might be why Richie...Mill Bank House on the map, with a quarry behind it.

No sign of any mill though.

No idea of the date of this, can't see it on the page I found it on here, but it's interesting to see that everything is spelt Annfield or preceded by Ann on the map and that both Anfield and Priory Rd were once lanes.

Source - http://www.liverpoolhistorysociety.org.uk/

edit...found another map from 1768 by Yates and Perry here.

Unfortunately the map isn't zoomable but it's an  interesting page with lots of details on it.

There appear to have been lots of mills around as in these pics from that page...

Liverpool from Everton...

Copperas Hill...

(Looks like those mills in that picture are being used to make rope, I expect constantly needed for the rigging on the sailing ships)

So I imagine it's highly likely there was a mill in the vicinity of Mill Lane originally, but with the coming of steam power most of them probably rapidly fell into disuse, at a guess by the 1850's, hence none marked on the map at the start of the post.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:03:55 am by The Gulleysucker »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2016, 08:21:33 am »
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/d5accb6b06be488b228cf20032465e85.jpg

Is your map like this richie , this one of mine also shows mill lane running between anfield road and priory , we used to call it the cinder path . On my map the road where I lived is slightly different to on the map due to it being outline permisssion ...been told it's around 1917

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:10 am »

Richie, I had a few moments to spare this morning so carried on ferreting to try and add to the above...

Super page here

In the footnotes it says..

6. Sherriff's map of 1823 shows a windmill in Anfield Road at the corner of what is still called Mill Lane. Breck House is marked on a map of about 1850 as standing on the Liverpool side of Walton Breck Road.

I've tried finding the map in question but only portions of it seem to be on the web.

There's some fragments and mentions of the map here, plus lots of other interesting stuff.

And in this excellent link here, there is also a specific mention of a windmill..

In the early 19th century only a handful of roads criss-crossed the area and the villas, congregating along those roads which offered an elevated outlook, stood in what was otherwise an almost entirely rural landscape, with here and there a quarry of red sandstone supplying building materials, and a solitary windmill on Anfield Road (then known as Annfield Lane).

As well as this 1823 map,  the map by Yates and Perry from 1768 I posted above might add to the detail.

A fragment is on this site, but unfortunately doesn't quite stretch to the Anfield area.

This site also has a fragment of the Sherriff map..again unfortunately not quite stretching to the Anfield area...

If you look closely, you can see some windmills marked on it like little x's.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:45:22 am by The Gulleysucker »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2016, 11:00:55 am »
The 'Brownsoil House' shown on Gulley's map was still called that in 1869, but in 1875 has changed its name to Coney Green; this is going by the 'evidence' of a newspaper search.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2016, 05:32:13 pm »
Cheers for the replies fellas.  :wave

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2016, 04:13:12 pm »

Quite apt that there's a Lunatic Asylum on Walton Lane there , and even more apt that there's a "Hope Cottage" on Spellow Lane directly opposite where Goodison Park now stands.  ;D
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #170 on: August 3, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »
Maxims in the precinct & The Wooky Hollow that was on Belmont road.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #172 on: September 1, 2016, 12:58:57 am »

Just spotted this.

I wouldn't mind if it was Richie,  but I think the time required and the fanaticism for the sheer level of precise detail is probably a bit beyond my capabilities (or maybe the patience of wifey ;)).

But it does look absolutely superb.

It's reminiscent of some of the layouts I remember seeing back in the mid to the late 60's at the Bluecoat each year, before I discovered girls in a big way... ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:39 am »
The Green Man pub - made famous for "shake hands" in Boys from the Blackstuff - is about to be demolished to make way for (you guessed it) new flats.

I would have shared the article but it was the Echo website and it just wouldn't feck off with the video long enough for me to stand trying to copy/paste it.  :no

here's the link if you can stomach it. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/last-look-pub-made-famous-12598398#ICID=FB-Liv-main
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:32 pm »
Aye. The Green Man has already been ripped out on the interior. Shame. 

Another one bites the dust.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2017, 07:30:44 am »
My mate's dad swears down there was an underpass at the end of Lark Lane going under Aigburth Road towards the station - anyone remember this?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2017, 08:27:56 am »
There's an underpass further up under aigburth road connecting Jericho lane to by ashfield road . Yet when you look at Images of that particular area you mention there is grass verge there that possibly could have been an entrance to one and the other side at the top of dalmerny street has an unusual large pedestrianised area .

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2017, 12:07:38 pm »
The foyer of the ABC cinema which is/was at Lime st.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:18 pm »
Also the giants were here in '66  :D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:27 pm »
Last one for now..very sad to see.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2017, 12:46:32 pm »
Seeing the Barker and Dobson shop next to the cinema makes me wonder if the factory is still in West Derby road?

Probably not.

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:07 pm »
Barker and Dobson, Whitefield road closed in 1982, there are houses there now and the Peel pub that was next to the factory is now a mini market. Ogdens factory has also gone and the land is currently having houses built on it.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »
I lived by Ogdens aged 7-16. The smell was absolutely horrendous, but it was a properly massive factory;really vibrant the streets around it at shift change. I remember the billboard on West Derby Road that used to blow off steam to simulate smoke.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »
The tanyards in Garston had a horrendous stink coming from them. 40 foot flatback trailers piled high with animal hides with flesh still on them parked up on Window Lane.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2017, 10:02:37 pm »
I lived by Ogdens aged 7-16. The smell was absolutely horrendous, but it was a properly massive factory;really vibrant the streets around it at shift change. I remember the billboard on West Derby Road that used to blow off steam to simulate smoke.

When was that? I lived by Ogdens too but have to say I never noticed the smell or just that it was a nice sweet smell, noticed the buzzer that used to wake me up in the Morning though.  Loved the billboard with the glowing pipe.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2017, 10:34:11 pm »
The tanyards in Garston had a horrendous stink coming from them. 40 foot flatback trailers piled high with animal hides with flesh still on them parked up on Window Lane.

I worked in the Crosshall St area in the 1970s and you would often get a whiff of decayed animal flesh from the rending plant in Carruthers St.

Aah the good old days.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:05 pm »
My mate's dad swears down there was an underpass at the end of Lark Lane going under Aigburth Road towards the station - anyone remember this?
It vaguely rings a bell.

I don't remember anything on the Lark Lane side, but I remember a wall about waste high being on the other side of the road, which ran parallel to the road for about 20/30 meters, and was set back from the kerb.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:40 pm »
^ massive 60s 70s type under pass with graffiti and unruly teenagers, murderers etc. you had to run through it :D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2017, 12:35:28 pm »
It took me far to long to know that the Cavern (the one that is there now) is not the original Cavern & is opposite the site where the original was knocked down.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2017, 03:26:18 pm »

I'm assuming you mean St Michaels station, as Aigburth station is way further up?

There's an underpass further up under aigburth road connecting Jericho lane to by ashfield road . Yet when you look at Images of that particular area you mention there is grass verge there that possibly could have been an entrance to one and the other side at the top of dalmerny street has an unusual large pedestrianised area .

It's hard to judge now.  There used to be toilets on the Aigburth Road/Lark Lane side, but they're gone and the area has been heavily landscaped.  But there's strong evidence on google map that you could be right.  The screen cap below suggests the entrance may have actually been on Parkfield Road.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:10 pm »

There's a couple of references to one here

This is our introduction to The Old Bank Alehouse, a reinvigorated pub on Aigburth Vale situated on one of the busiest crossings in South Liverpool.
Around a decade ago the underpass that connected Lark Lane with St Michaels was demolished and a nice pedestrian crossing installed. This was better for everyone, as it was safer, actually more convenient for pedestrians and rather more pleasant than the concrete scar with its flickering yellow lights.

Further down the road, past the Fulwood Arms at Aigburth Vale, there’s still a grotty, sinister concrete underpass that connects the Jericho Lane side to the Ashfield Road side. Pass a couple of closed public conveniences that look like something out of Silent Hill (and Eddie and partner) and you will find something worth the journey: The Old Bank Alehouse.

and in the comments section here..

If it’s maintained, it may fare better than a very similar project that took place with the underpass that used to be further towards the town end of Aigburth Road – the now defunkt and filled in underpass that came out b Lark Lane had paintings chosen and painted by local kids of the day back in the mid-to-late 70’s. The thought was local kids would not scrawl over their own pictures and would protect them – they lasted a few years before they were covered in graffitti.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »
Thanks Gulley, Red Beret, Richie and everyone who responded to the underpass query.

Yep I meant St Michaels station. I remember the toilet block being disused for ages and now its that Churrasco restaurant I think.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:20:06 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2017, 05:33:25 pm »

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2017, 10:58:52 pm »

I'm trying to recognise that place, that back wall especially the balustrade on the left, looks vaguely familiar, but try as I might I just can't place it.

Where is it?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2017, 11:43:37 pm »
its the open-air car park on Victoria street mate...pics 2 and 3 are from this week....the existing long standing tree-lined car park has been nuked ......to make way for a 5 floor multistorey car park.....

pre-war and pre-Luftwaffe, it was the site of Government offices ...you can see in this pic that the stone balustrade wall that surrounds it was part of the original construction......unfortunately that's going too as they cant incorporate it into the new 'design' ....

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:41 am »

Cheers mate..

I suppose an architectural salvage firm will probably get the balustrade, or at least I would hope so rather than it simply being pounded up and used as landfill.

On another place, I discovered this blog about Chisenhale Street.

...Chisenhale Street, which runs from Pall Mall to Vauxhall Road was once described as being a place that was a pestilential and crime haunted den which ‘nowhere in the world could parallel in moral and sanitary foulness.’.....

...Clearance of the insanitary properties meant that the 1891 census meant there were only 84 persons residing in the street as opposed to 2,000 ten years earlier....

Fascinating stuff.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »
its the open-air car park on Victoria street mate...pics 2 and 3 are from this week....the existing long standing tree-lined car park has been nuked ......to make way for a 5 floor multistorey car park.....

pre-war and pre-Luftwaffe, it was the site of Government offices ...you can see in this pic that the stone balustrade wall that surrounds it was part of the original construction......unfortunately that's going too as they cant incorporate it into the new 'design' ....

Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me??  I saw them cutting down the centre line trees but I thought they were just trying to redraw the car park to make extra parking space!  How the feck has this slipped under the radar?  :no

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »
To be fair, it's been reported in the echo for the last four or five months.  It went on to consultation with the planning department on I think two occasions, after a protest.

March 2016.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/victoria-street-multi-storey-car-11025303

October 2016 (with picture of proposed development)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/heres-what-new-victoria-street-12071213?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:09:06 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2017, 02:22:21 pm »
The Josephine Butler House on Myrtle St.

I was proper pissed losing this & the manner in which it went too.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:28:46 pm by Medellin »

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »
It's hard to judge now.  There used to be toilets on the Aigburth Road/Lark Lane side, but they're gone and the area has been heavily landscaped.  But there's strong evidence on google map that you could be right.  The screen cap below suggests the entrance may have actually been on Parkfield Road.

The toilets building is now the Churrascos restaurant (as Sam has said above!). From the aerial image it looks more like the entrance was where the larger bit of grass is now at the end of Lark Lane. Livingston drive would have joined Aigburth road where the smaller strip of grass is.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly