Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586931 times)

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8160 on: December 29, 2021, 02:39:01 pm »
Found a bit of a gem a while back and just read it - Before and After by Andrew Shanahan. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

It's a post apocalyptic story involving a 600lb man and his dog. Found it quite sad in places as he recounted his previous life. It's a bit like The Martian, in that he has to solve problems and I was really rooting for him.

Apparently it's now being filmed and a follow up book is released this Friday. I'm desperate to find out what happens.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8161 on: December 29, 2021, 03:43:22 pm »
Recently started The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, my first le Carré, which I'm also enjoying so far.
Funnily enough, just finished The Spy Who... yesterday. I had read Tinker Tailor a while back, so I'm trying to get into Le Carré by reading them in the proper order, which should help.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8162 on: December 30, 2021, 01:35:41 pm »
Just finished Mel Brooks autobiography, absolutely hilarious.  Be a sad day when he shuffles off this mortal coil.

He’s only called Brooks because Brookstein didn’t fit on his drum.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8163 on: January 4, 2022, 10:12:03 am »

Great book about Punk and Fell Running and there similarities.  The story of fell runner Gary Devine (who is 3-4 years older than me and although i didn't do a lot of fell running I'd run against him in Cross country races - he was far better than me).  It also touches on the punk sensibilities of doing your own thing against the establishment - squatters rights etc.

Finally read this.  I read Cartel not knowing there was a prequel so I've finally finished the series.  Love his writing (and his stuff he does on Twitter calling out Republican corruption)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8164 on: January 4, 2022, 01:41:46 pm »

Finally read this.  I read Cartel not knowing there was a prequel so I've finally finished the series.  Love his writing (and his stuff he does on Twitter calling out Republican corruption)

Thought The Power of the Dog was good, but The Cartel and The Border were far superior in dealing with the causes and implications of the drug war. The Power of the Dog sort of read like Winslow wrote it to be a film, whereas the other two he wrote because he was progressively shocked by the escalating failures of the drug war.

Highly recommend Broken, collection of short stories/novelettes, if you liked the POTD series...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8165 on: January 6, 2022, 10:16:51 pm »
Great book about Punk and Fell Running and there similarities.  The story of fell runner Gary Devine (who is 3-4 years older than me and although i didn't do a lot of fell running I'd run against him in Cross country races - he was far better than me).  It also touches on the punk sensibilities of doing your own thing against the establishment - squatters rights etc.

I'll be getting onto that one cheers, have been trying to get back into the running recently so need all the motivation!

Books I've finished recently:
Dave Grohl - Storyteller - Well written but contains stories that are appropriate for dinner parties, not enough grunge. 3/5
Kim Gordon - Girl In a Band - Written while Kim was in divorce turmoil, would have been a better book if her head was in the right space, too much negativity 3/5
Sayaka Murata - Convenience Store Woman - Funny, quirky, easy read. A work life doesn't have to be complicated to lead to contentment.  4/5
Adrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin - Story set in Ukraine of a loner who write obituaries about mostly criminals who aren't dead yet. He also has a pet penguin. Really sweet book. 4/5
John le Carre - The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - Stone cold classic novel. One of the best, it will keep you thinking throughout and will give you a satisfying ending. 5/5
Ondjaki - Transparent City - Book about Angolan city which is on the brink of chaos. Some wistful passages intertwined by violence. Definitely a contemporary piece of work  4/5
Michael Crawley - Out of Thin Air  - Book about a top tier athlete running with Ethiopian Olympic grade Marathon runners. Interesting to see what it takes. In short, a miserable existence! 3/5

Currently reading Running The Light by Sam Tallen. Really enjoying it, its about a standup comedian who is in peril. Depressing and laughout loud funny throughout, highly recommened for US stand up fans.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2022, 10:18:32 pm by damomad »
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8166 on: January 6, 2022, 10:21:35 pm »
My wife has bought me the Dave Grohl  book.  Despite me never knowingly having heard a foo fighters song and I certainly couldn’t name one.

Is it still worth it?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #8167 on: January 6, 2022, 10:30:18 pm »
Richard Beard...Sad Little Men : Public Schools and the Ruin of England.

A great insight into the current rulers of this country and their schooling from the author, himself an ex boarder at one of the country's top public school. He is critical of the whole tiered  education  system to say the least.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8168 on: January 6, 2022, 10:49:09 pm »
My wife has bought me the Dave Grohl  book.  Despite me never knowingly having heard a foo fighters song and I certainly couldn’t name one.

Is it still worth it?

One chapter is dedicated to him drinking too much coffee.
Another is about him trying to get home from tour to make his daughters school dance.
You get the gist?

Read the Nirvana chapters, skip the rest.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8169 on: January 7, 2022, 09:51:27 am »
I'll be getting onto that one cheers, have been trying to get back into the running recently so need all the motivation!

Currently reading Running The Light by Sam Tallen. Really enjoying it, its about a standup comedian who is in peril. Depressing and laughout loud funny throughout, highly recommened for US stand up fans.

Read the Sam Tallent book when it came out, though it was brilliant.  Stanhope said it was the best book ever written about life on the road as a stand up.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8170 on: January 7, 2022, 12:47:45 pm »
Read Nina Simone’s Gum by Warren Ellis (of Bad Seeds fame) over Christmas. Really unique and strangely powerful book, loved it.

Now reading Pat Nevin’s autobiography. I’ve always liked listening to him as a pundit and this is a good insight into his personality. Just got to the part where he claims we cheated in the cup final of 1989…because it should be illegal to bring on Ian Rush as a sub!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8171 on: January 8, 2022, 11:01:11 pm »
I am going to retry reading Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy books beginning with The Winter King. I did try some years ago but it was tough going with the number of characters involved. It will have to go some to beat Mary Stewart's trilogy though. ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8172 on: January 8, 2022, 11:50:17 pm »
I am going to retry reading Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy books beginning with The Winter King. I did try some years ago but it was tough going with the number of characters involved. It will have to go some to beat Mary Stewart's trilogy though. ;D

Have you read the 4th book in Stewart's trilogy? I had a hard time reconciling it with Merlin assuring Arthur that the Orkney boys would be a credit to his kingdom.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8173 on: January 9, 2022, 01:31:39 am »
Have you read the 4th book in Stewart's trilogy? I had a hard time reconciling it with Merlin assuring Arthur that the Orkney boys would be a credit to his kingdom.

I absolutely adored The Wicked Day she wrote the best Mordred of all the authors.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8174 on: January 9, 2022, 09:13:22 am »

I can recommend Jack Whytes Legends of Camelot series. It's a 9 book series but well worth it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8175 on: January 9, 2022, 09:26:24 am »
I can recommend Jack Whytes Legends of Camelot series. It's a 9 book series but well worth it.

I haven't even heard about that one before, thanks for the recommendation..

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8176 on: January 9, 2022, 09:33:54 am »
Presumably you've read Rosemary Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset (which is a follow up to The Lantern Bearers, the third of the Eagle trilogy). Another of her historical novels, less well known than her British novels, is Flowers of Adonis, which is about Alcibiades of Athens.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8177 on: January 9, 2022, 10:49:01 am »
Presumably you've read Rosemary Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset (which is a follow up to The Lantern Bearers, the third of the Eagle trilogy). Another of her historical novels, less well known than her British novels, is Flowers of Adonis, which is about Alcibiades of Athens.

I keep looking at her books, but haven't taken the step yet. More to put on my list though.  :D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8178 on: January 12, 2022, 11:45:35 am »
Reading "Notes from the the Underground" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Pretty hard slog to be honest with you
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8179 on: January 12, 2022, 02:00:34 pm »
Reading "Hellhound on His Trail" which goes heavy on James Earl Ray and the lead up to him murdering MLK.

Although a podcast I've begun listening to is attempting to showcase the conspiracy theories out there that it wasn't Ray that murdered MLK.

It's an area of modern US history I have limited knowledge of and after reading a number of JFK books, I can say I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. When I was younger I was convinced that Oswald was indeed a patsy but there's a lot of noise out there.

I never really knew there was opposition to the line that Ray acted alone and was indeed responsible for murdering MLK.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8180 on: January 12, 2022, 06:04:55 pm »
Reading "Notes from the the Underground" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Pretty hard slog to be honest with you

I think I spent more time reading it than even Brothers K and still couldn’t finish it!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8181 on: January 12, 2022, 10:27:05 pm »
I think I spent more time reading it than even Brothers K and still couldn’t finish it!

I'm determined to read it, but fucking hell :D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8182 on: January 17, 2022, 08:05:51 pm »
I struggled through The Rachel Papers for months at a time. so, if you enjoyed that, his others will probably impress you more. I know that Money is the most lauded, but I think that London Fields is his best. He does have some nice ones and you always feel it is an accomplishment to read them; it's a strange feeling to have, but it's rewarding.

Le Carré, love his work. I do think you started with the best though.

I read the latest Tim Weaver - The Stranger at the door - in the David Raker series. Enjoyed it. Must read some more 'worthy' stuff next month though.

Tbf although I enjoyed The Rachel Papers I don't think it was amazingly paced and defintely gives the impression of an author at the beginning of his career. Ironically, Money, London Fields and Time's Arrow are the ones I have sitting on the shelf. I've been thinking Money once I'm done with TSWCiftC.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8183 on: January 17, 2022, 08:09:04 pm »

That's good to hear because I liked (maybe admired is the better word) but didn't love Notes. It's the only Dostoevsky I've read and while it didn't put me off reading his others at some point it, it didn't exactly do the opposite either.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #8184 on: January 20, 2022, 08:47:59 am »
Reading book 2 of NK Jemisin's Broken Earth series. Wholly unusual, yet interesting book.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8185 on: January 20, 2022, 11:31:01 am »
The Plotters by Kim Un-Su.

Set in an alternate Seoul, Korea where assassinations are common practice with rival factions competing for contracts with the Plotters, Assassins and crematers being the job roles in this dangerous industry.

Hopefully this is made into a film in Korea, the book is fantastic, it hooks you in straight away.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8186 on: January 20, 2022, 01:41:06 pm »
Finished The Rachel Papers a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more of Amis. Recently started The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, my first le Carré, which I'm also enjoying so far.
I loved The Rachel Papers. I think if you go into it knowing it's a debut, you have a lot more fun with it.

Money is a masterpiece. I need to get more of his novels because the only other one I've read is The Pregnant Widow, which was very disappointing.

If you're into non fiction I'd recommend checking out his memoirs Inside Story and, one of the best you'll ever read, Experience.

Kim Gordon - Girl In a Band - Written while Kim was in divorce turmoil, would have been a better book if her head was in the right space, too much negativity 3/5
I read this when it came out, which feels like an age ago now. I felt the exact same as you.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8187 on: January 21, 2022, 05:30:54 pm »
It's just been announced that Philip Pullman is releasing another book which will be a companion book to the original His Dark Materials trilogy and his latest book of dust trilogy, it's due to be released on the 28th of April this year. It's called the Imagination Chamber and that's another one on my list for this year.  ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8188 on: February 7, 2022, 03:54:12 pm »
Finished 'The Power of the Dog' over the weekend and loved it. I will be reading something lighter as my next book before I jump into 'The Cartel' as it was heavy going!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8189 on: February 7, 2022, 09:24:27 pm »
Read 'Piranesi' by Susanna Clarke after seeing it recommended  in a few places.

Was not disappointed. One of my books of the last few years. Started fairly slowly but quickly became hooked.

Definitely recommended for anyone who likes books which are 'riddles' in a way, reminded me of Shutter Island. Won't say more than that.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8190 on: February 8, 2022, 09:36:57 am »
That's good to hear because I liked (maybe admired is the better word) but didn't love Notes. It's the only Dostoevsky I've read and while it didn't put me off reading his others at some point it, it didn't exactly do the opposite either.

He may have been a Nazi bastard but try Knut Hamsun's Hunger

It's sort of a Notes lite. I like it, very vivid, existential. Easier read with a good modern translation

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8191 on: February 8, 2022, 09:56:04 am »
He may have been a Nazi bastard but try Knut Hamsun's Hunger

It's sort of a Notes lite. I like it, very vivid, existential. Easier read with a good modern translation

Speaking of Nazi bastards, has anyone read Peter Rabbit - Tank Killer by Beatrix Potter and Sven Hassel?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8192 on: February 8, 2022, 10:12:05 am »
^^^I would read that.

I haven’t read a fantasy book in ages but I picked up “The Name of Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss at work, and my it’s incredibly well imagined & written. Loving it so far.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8193 on: February 8, 2022, 10:16:18 am »
"Peter Rabbit: Tank Killer" - A collaboration between Beatrix Potter, author of 'The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin', and Sven Hassel, author of 'SS Death Bastard Regiment'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6-YPiqOh_w
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline neilmc74

• Boys Pen
« Reply #8194 on: February 8, 2022, 11:55:32 am »
^^^I would read that.

I haven’t read a fantasy book in ages but I picked up “The Name of Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss at work, and my it’s incredibly well imagined & written. Loving it so far.

I listened to the audiobook last summer and thought it was a great listen.  I am halfway through the follow up "the wise Man's fear" and think it might be even better.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8195 on: February 8, 2022, 12:43:29 pm »
Reading 'The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro,' by Joe McGinnis.

Joe McGinnis is an American sports writer who became obsessed with football, specifically Italian Calcio in the run up to the 1994 World Cup.

He basically read an article in a magazine in the mid 90s about a provincial Italian village team who'd risen from the amateur ranks through all the divisions in quick succession to get up to Serie B. He then flies out to Italy to live there for a season and follow the team, Castel Di Sangro, as they play their first season in Serie B. I believe, they're still to this day the smallest team (in terms of town population) to play that high up the pyramid - 5,000 population total.

I'm about half way through and although the author can somewhat be a bit grating in his occasional brashness (not unlike a lot of American sports broadcasters) he clearly has decent knowledge and loves the game. Still not googling about the team as I don't want to spoil it for myself.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8196 on: February 8, 2022, 06:06:45 pm »
I listened to the audiobook last summer and thought it was a great listen.  I am halfway through the follow up "the wise Man's fear" and think it might be even better.
Excellent, I’ll put a request in.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8197 on: February 17, 2022, 09:14:00 am »
Reading 'Childhood's End' by Arthur C. Clarke.

It's a book about first contact with a vastly superior race.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8198 on: February 17, 2022, 09:52:33 am »
Reading 'Childhood's End' by Arthur C. Clarke.

It's a book about first contact with a vastly superior race.

Have you read the reverse perspective, about a vastly superior race's first contact with humanity? I don't usually read that kind of thing, but Jacob Rees-Mogg's autobiography is fascinating.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8199 on: February 17, 2022, 04:53:16 pm »

18yr old Crew Chief/Door Gunners brutal story of flying in a Huey gunship in Vietnam
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA