Author Topic: PL: Crystal Palace 1 v 3 Liverpool VVD 8’ Ox 32’ Edouard 54’ Fabinho 89’  (Read 28014 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
CRYSTAL PALACE v LIVERPOOL, Sunday January 23, 2pm

Nobody thought January, traditionally our bogey month, would be any easier this year without Salah and Mane (and Keita – thanks for the reminder, boss), but we’ve managed to cruise through so far, putting Brentford to the sword and dominating a resurgent Arsenal at their place. Jota and Jones have both looked lethal excellent but for me, the star has been a defence that’s largely looked impenetrable, a great flashback to the first half of our last title winning season. But when has this fixture ever been a low-scoring affair? Two of my earliest football memories involve the 9-0 thrashing when Aldo bid adieu by throwing his boots into the Kop, and the 4-3 FA Cup semi-final when we narrowly missed out on a double for the third consecutive year.

After four years, Roy Hodgson left Palace in the summer, to be replaced by Patrick Vieira. We got the Vieira era off to a great start in September with a 3-0 win punctuated by an excellent Keita volley. The less said about Jota blazing the ball over from three yards out the better. They’re still a mid-table team, but one that’s far more entertaining to watch, with young talents like Conor Gallagher, Marc Guehi, Michael Olise, Tyrick Mitchell and Odsonne Édouard having staked places in the first team.

Chelsea loanee Gallagher is their danger man, a strong box-to-box midfielder who’s drawn comparisons to Frank Lampard due to his goalscoring record, but Palace aren’t any better defensively than they have been in recent years, also conceding three to Chelsea, Spurs, Burnley and, on New Year’s Day, West Ham. They did inflict one of Man City’s two league defeats this season so they have it in them to pull off a shock, but the fact their sole wins over the last two months have come against relegation candidates Norwich and Everton mean we should be expecting a win.

So how will the teams line up?

For us, it’s likely to be a largely unchanged team, particularly since we’re about to head into yet another international break and we don’t have another match for a fortnight afterwards. None of Thiago, Origi or Elliott are back to full fitness and Oxlade-Chamberlain remains a doubt due to the ankle injury he picked up against Brentford. Curtis Williams Jones has been very impressive in midfield and will surely keep his place while Minamino looks a good bet to come back into the team following a couple of cameo appearances where he’s looked dangerous.

Palace meanwhile are without holding midfielder Cheikhou Kouyaté, who’s playing alongside Mane at AFCON, and Wilfred Zaha, who’s representing the Ivory Coast. They do however have Eberechi Eze back from a torn achilles, and he’ll probably start in a front three. This is how they lined up against Brighton last week:

Essentially, Palace’s team is young, fast and hungry with an extra few days rest, but they’re also raw and relatively inexperienced. Let’s see this one out and move on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:46:38 pm by TepidT2O »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Crystal Palace v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 01:26:18 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 01:57:46 pm »
Crystal Palace: Guaita, Ward, Andersen, Guehi, Mitchell, Gallagher, Hughes, Schlupp, Olise, Edouard, Mateta.

Substitutes:
Butland, Milivojevic, Ayew, Eze, Clyne, Benteke, Kelly, Ferguson, Riedewald.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 01:58:28 pm »
The two teams are out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 02:01:29 pm »
0 The game kicks off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 02:02:40 pm »
1 Liverpool quickly in their stride but an early offside occurs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 02:05:37 pm »
4 Liverpool get a free kick, but we are unable to make it count and it goes to a Crystal Palace goal kick.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 02:06:21 pm »
4 A good move which has Trent putting in a really good deep cross but it's headed over the bar.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 02:08:03 pm »
6 We get a corner after Kevin Friend makes his mind up. It is initially cleared, then we retrieve the ball and go again and Henderson shoots wide.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 02:09:18 pm »
7 Another corner on the left and Robbo's delivery finds Van Dijk and he nicely heads it into the back of the net. 0-1 to the Reds.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: PL: Crystal Palace 0 v 1 Liverpool VVD 8’
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 02:10:12 pm »
That’s what you call a bullet header!

Wow

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 02:11:17 pm »
9 So close to number 2. We are playing some lovely stuff, a great through ball by Jones but Chamberlain just fails to make contact.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 02:13:03 pm »
11 So many chances, as first Henderson hits wide, CP clear then it comes back but Chamberlain can't get the right contact on it. CP can't clear their area at the moment.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 02:14:37 pm »
12 Palace are so deep at the moment, just allowing us to keep passing the ball around. We've had some lovely cross field balls going really using Trent and Robbo to full effect.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 02:15:41 pm »
13 Gorgeous forward ball from the captain, but Guaita just gets to the ball before Chamberlain.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 02:16:14 pm »
Chamberlin  is getting in some terrific positions
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 02:17:24 pm »
15 A rare entry into our area by Palace, Fab has to be very clever getting the ball back to Alisson, but we manage it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 02:17:49 pm »
Chamberlin  is getting in some terrific positions

Really unlucky not to score especially that second chance.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 02:19:08 pm »
17 Palace have had a bit more possession at least without creating anything.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 02:19:59 pm »
Klopp holding a conference with Hendo.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 02:21:11 pm »
19 That was a beautiful defensive header into Alisson by Matip there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 02:22:36 pm »
20 Crazy! Palace get in behind our defence, but again so clearly offside. Flag goes up, Alisson saves brilliantly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 02:23:12 pm »
20 Crazy! Palace get in behind our defence, but again so clearly offside. Flag goes up, Alisson saves brilliantly.
Massive foul on Jones in the build up too.

Would never have stood even if it was onside.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 02:23:46 pm »
22 Palace getting a bit more confident. We are still in control for now.

Over to Tepid.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 02:25:49 pm »
24 really good start by Jones today, he’s been really influentual.

Bobby  down the by line, cuts it back to Jota, he lays it off to Fabinho who shoots over.

Should have hit the target 
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 02:28:40 pm »
27 corner to the reds, it’s cleared for another one.

Goes low and through everyone, anything could have happened there!
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 02:30:08 pm »
29 Bobby tries a shot form a tight angle, it’s defected if the list and behind.

Corner

Cleared, and Robbo is sharp to stop a counter by their albino
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 02:32:11 pm »
Curtis is everywhere today the pressure he put in Guaita there was fantastic.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 02:33:09 pm »
Ox lad!!!!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 02:33:20 pm »

0-2

Chamberlain

Some lovely football down our right, then it’s switched to Robbo, his cross finds Chamberlain at the back post who chests it down and fires home.  He’s deserved that
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 02:34:11 pm »
Chamberlain deserved that, he's looked really good today. Aren't Robbo and Trent tying now in their competition?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Crystal Palace 0 v 2 Liverpool VVD 8’ Ox 32’
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 02:37:22 pm »
36 Jones loses the ball near our box, a better final ball and they were in then, but Gallagher couldn’t control it.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 02:40:29 pm »
39 Olise is in, but he can’t beat Alisson

Sloppy to let that happen.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 02:42:50 pm »
We haven't half got sloppy last ten minutes. Need to hold it together here.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 02:42:54 pm »
41 bloody hell Mateta is in behind and shoots across the face of goal. ….

Corner because Alisson got a touch on it.  Wake up reds!
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 02:47:33 pm »
HT 0-2

A shakey last 10, but some really good football before that
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2022, 03:02:58 pm »
45 The game kicks off.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2022, 03:03:51 pm »
Van Dijk tried to accelerate to get back and there was nothing there... looked a bit laboured a couple of times.

True,.. but it’s been an intense few games… and how quick is Mateta?
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 03:04:23 pm »
46 First chance goes to CP but the ball goes right across the box and past the goal.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 03:05:24 pm »
46 First chance goes to CP but the ball goes right across the box and past the goal.
Gallagher got a touch on it.. how didn't he score?
W