Author Topic: Champions League - Europa League/Conference Match Day 1  (Read 22754 times)

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Champions League - Europa League/Conference Match Day 1
« Reply #320 on: September 14, 2021, 10:06:21 pm »
Depends on who they get further on, and this time around it's with supporters in the ground, that does make a difference for certain sides. They are organized for sure but they're also very thin at the back given that they play with 3 CB's

Don't think they're matchup dependent. They have played Man City quite a few times since he's been manager and he's completely shut Guardiola down. We struggled like mad to create a chance in the box in the second half against their 10 and there's many more examples. I would not want to face them over 2 legs. The English version of Atletico but even more quality.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #321 on: September 14, 2021, 10:06:36 pm »
Since Tuchel took over they've conceded 1 Champions League goal. They won't batter many teams but they're going to be extremely difficult for any team to beat. With a squad like this and a goalscorer like Lukaku they're going to be mighty dangerous.

Teams will learn to play against them though, Lukaku will score of course, but there are a number of other good players elsewhere too. I think it's quite an open competition this year. Naturally United are the team to beat.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2021, 10:10:11 pm »
Said it at the start of the season Barcelona will not finish top 4 in Spain this season. On the evidence tonight they won't be getting out of that group either.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2021, 10:11:34 pm »
Don't think they're matchup dependent. They have played Man City quite a few times since he's been manager and he's completely shut Guardiola down. We struggled like mad to create a chance in the box in the second half against their 10 and there's many more examples. I would not want to face them over 2 legs. The English version of Atletico but even more quality.

They have been successful against City, but City have also let them off the hook in both of the recent matches and were wasteful in front of goal. I agree, they are good defensively, but imo they'll need multiple things to go their way, to have repeat of their success.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2021, 10:12:36 pm »

I don’t think anyone wants to play Chelsea in a European knockout game. Probably the most difficult tie for a top team in Europe thanks to their defence.

Having said that, I think they are in a bit of a honeymoon period as regards to their setup. They are still far too passive and eventually I think teams will tailor their setup to ensure they don’t play into their hands.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:14:07 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2021, 10:16:48 pm »
Any links to highlights of all games?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2021, 10:17:59 pm »
I don’t think anyone wants to play Chelsea in a European knockout game. Probably the most difficult tie for a top team in Europe thanks to their defence.

Having said that, I think they are in a bit of a honeymoon period as regards to their setup. They are still far too passive and eventually I think teams will tailor their setup to ensure they don’t play into their hands.

That's exactly my point, in the end teams learn how to exploit set-up's I don't think Chelsea will be any different. It also helps that they get relative easy groups so they can find momentum from the beginning.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 14, 2021, 10:21:19 pm »
Since Tuchel took over they've conceded 1 Champions League goal. They won't batter many teams but they're going to be extremely difficult for any team to beat. With a squad like this and a goalscorer like Lukaku they're going to be mighty dangerous.
They are very hard to beat but 2 shots on target and 11 overall shots with 66% of the ball is not a sustained winning formula(caley has .9x to .7xg). since the cl knockout you can have fluky results but it very hard to win the CL on a consentient bases doing this. There CBs are not good enough to run a back 4 is the biggest issue if they could it would help solve the issues they have as asking one the CMs who are not penetration  style CMs to do that in build up and into the box. There CMs are very good but the best at protect the counter and with buildup play doing stuff in the final 3rd isnt their strength
https://twitter.com/Caley_graphics/status/1437887553005359109

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #328 on: September 14, 2021, 10:21:40 pm »
Barca just aren't at Bayern's level is all that reinforced but that really isn't much of a surprise.  With that said the doom and gloomers are a bit much as they still have a good chance to win La Liga.  Just says more where La Liga is these days than anything else.

As far as Chelsea, didn't watch any of the game but what I'd say is it's probably worth revisiting prior assumptions about what Tuchel is as a manager.  I always thought of him, similar to Nagelsman, in that they are so full of their own shit that they come up with these increasingly intricate ways of playing just to seem cute or smart that get blown away when up against similar or better quality of players.  Never thought of him as much of a pragmatist but at this point there's no hiding from the fact that he's now been managing what is arguably the best defensive side in Europe for quite sometime now.  They're going to be within a shout for every competition this year just because of that.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #329 on: September 14, 2021, 10:24:52 pm »
Excellent entertainment today from the Boys Vs Man U game.

Hoping Ronnie keeps his stats looking pristine, and glosses over any (admittedly surmountable) negatives his lack of top level pace causes up top. Unfortunately,  he's still an amazing player with the ball at feet or in the air. With a bit of luck and lots of stats padding against the minnows, I hope both him and Ole survive the winter.

Of course, occasionally,  one faces much stronger teams, with a huge array of resources and unfair wealth advantage, no shame in losing, to the likes of Young Boys. Onwards and upwards,  lets turn a corner, Ole at the wheel.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2021, 10:27:02 pm »
That's exactly my point, in the end teams learn how to exploit set-up's I don't think Chelsea will be any different. It also helps that they get relative easy groups so they can find momentum from the beginning.

Nobody has found a way to exploit us with VvD in the lineup in years now.  I don't think this is really accurate as any other examples I can think of happened due to injuries or a change in manager more than someone being found out.

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2021, 10:31:28 pm »
I can't believe the vultures are not circling around Barca - the club is in turmoil, financially in shit streak and are open to any money coming in....players must see the writing on the wall for the next couple seasons.

I'd have been fucking ruthless this summer in approaching some of their young talent from a position of strength, much like those pricks have been doing for a couple decades...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2021, 10:37:55 pm »
Nobody has found a way to exploit us with VvD in the lineup in years now.  I don't think this is really accurate as any other examples I can think of happened due to injuries or a change in manager more than someone being found out.

People do find ways of getting around systems, Athetico did it to us, we lost to Napoli on a couple of occasions. Every team gets beaten by someone in the end, Chelsea will be no different. Especially if they continue to only get one goal, that is always risky in this compeition. When Napoli beat us 2-0 Van Dijk was in the line up too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:39:26 pm by jillc »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2021, 10:40:17 pm »

We haven’t got close to winning the CL in two seasons now albeit last season we had no Van Dijk.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2021, 10:41:45 pm »
People do find ways of getting around systems, Athetico did it to us, we lost to Napoli on a couple of occasions. Every team gets beaten by someone in the end, Chelsea will be no different. Especially if they continue to only get one goal, that is always risky in this compeition. When Napoli beat us 2-0 Van Dijk was in the line up too.

Atletico had to get a lot of things going their way in the 2nd leg to do so. Including some luck, and us missing Becker, as Adrian made two massive mistakes in ET when we were up 2-0.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2021, 10:44:55 pm »
Atletico had to get a lot of things going their way in the 2nd leg to do so. Including some luck, and us missing Becker, as Adrian made two massive mistakes in ET when we were up 2-0.

We still had Van Dijk in the line up, also in the two other games I mentioned. I am not having a go at our record merely pointing out that teams learn how to play against other teams. We had two losses against Napoli for example in the group stages, some teams have players which can exploit even the top teams. We did it ourselves when Klopp first got us into the CL, it's crazy this idea that some claim that it cannot be done, when it clearly does happen.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2021, 10:45:13 pm »

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2021, 10:51:04 pm »

Try https://ourmatch.me/ if you don't mind annoying ads.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2021, 10:55:45 pm »

Is something happening once a trend or a fluke?  In almost all examples for us that you're siting it's either a one off or was an attacking issue on the day which happens way more than a defensive issue. Nobody is invincible but to think Chelsea will be found out is a stretch at this point.

We haven’t got close to winning the CL in two seasons now albeit last season we had no Van Dijk.

Being 2nd or 3rd favorite to win it but having a coin flip not go our way in 180 minutes isn't close?  I guess but if that's the barometer then there are no truly successful teams.

We still had Van Dijk in the line up, also in the two other games I mentioned. I am not having a go at our record merely pointing out that teams learn how to play against other teams. We had two losses against Napoli for example in the group stages, some teams have players which can exploit even the top teams. We did it ourselves when Klopp first got us into the CL, it's crazy this idea that some claim that it cannot be done, when it clearly does happen.

Away loss v Napoli in 2019 we had 12 shots for .7 xG.
Away loss v Napoli in 2018 we had 4 shots for .1 xG

If Napoli learned anything it was how to make our attack look comically inept when playing at the Stadio San Paulo.  Not that there weren't defensive lapses but they were pretty immaterial to the real issue on the nights in question.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:59:05 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2021, 11:01:38 pm »
Is something happening once a trend or a fluke?  In almost all examples for us that you're siting it's either a one off or was an attacking issue on the day which happens way more than a defensive issue. Nobody is invincible but to think Chelsea will be found out is a stretch at this point.

Being 2nd or 3rd favorite to win it but having a coin flip not go our way in 180 minutes isn't close?  I guess but if that's the barometer then there are no truly successful teams.

Napoli beat us twice from memory two years running in the group stages. I think their manager found areas in our game, that he could exploit. They had some fast players, sometimes the really good coaches find something, if they have the right players it can be successful. I don’t think any team is unbeatable as circumstances can happen on the day and players can make mistakes.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #340 on: September 14, 2021, 11:02:06 pm »

10 or so match highlights sites in here (for any game - including some full match replays)...

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.0 (the 'Some useful info for following the football + TV, Streams, & Highlights etc' thread)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #341 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:15 pm »
Napoli beat us twice from memory two years running in the group stages. I think their manager found areas in our game, that he could exploit. They had some fast players, sometimes the really good coaches find something, if they have the right players it can be successful. I don’t think any team is unbeatable as circumstances can happen on the day and players can make mistakes.

Yes, I'm assuming you were writing this as I edited my reply with the stats from those games but I agree no team is unbeatable.  I just am disagreeing that Chelsea will become worse defensively anytime soon.  There may be a one off game where they are poor defensively and I'd say letting us shoot 20 times is an example of that even with a man advantage.  But that clearly is a one off and not an indicator of a trend and so far there is nothing since Tuchel got there that makes it look like that is going to change. Even Kante being unavailable seemingly makes them no worse in that regard. 

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2021, 11:53:04 pm »
A 5 man defence is not winning the Premier League, not when Guardiola and Klopp are around and play attacking football, 100% certain of it. May take a while with still riding their European success but they’ll drop points when they come up against bus parkers and lack an extra attacking player to create chances.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: September 15, 2021, 12:38:13 am »
10 or so match highlights sites in here (for any game - including some full match replays)...

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.0 (the 'Some useful info for following the football + TV, Streams, & Highlights etc' thread)

Thanks a lot!

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2021, 07:38:05 am »
It's crazy how much Barca have fallen. I would almost (almost) feel sorry for them, but fuck 'em. After their antics over the years, they deserve all they get. Hopefully Madrid are next.

This year's CL is between the 4 English teams, Bayern and PSG. I think with Ole in charge United would ultimately fluff it, but with Ronaldo in the CL and a good 11, they are in with a fair shout. It's a toss-up between the rest for me. We have as much chance as the next side. As far as the first 11 goes, there aren't many better than us. And there certainly ain't nothing like a CL game at Anfield.

Fancy us to do well this year in Europe.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2021, 08:13:40 am »
Be interesting to see if Benfica or Dinamo have enough about them to get ahead of that woeful Barcelona team.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2021, 08:27:23 am »
The body language of the Barcelona players doesn’t bode well.

They've took so many hammerings in the CL over the last few years that their heads have gone when they play a big name. Bayern put 8 past them in 2020. Liverpool, Roma, PSG, Juve have all turned them over. Now Messi, Neymar and Suarez have all gone and there's not much quality left either and their defence is even worse.

They'll be best off finishing 3rd and having a go at the Europa League rather than getting smashed when they face an English team or PSG in probably the next round.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2021, 08:32:31 am »
It's crazy how much Barca have fallen. I would almost (almost) feel sorry for them, but fuck 'em. After their antics over the years, they deserve all they get. Hopefully Madrid are next.

This year's CL is between the 4 English teams, Bayern and PSG. I think with Ole in charge United would ultimately fluff it, but with Ronaldo in the CL and a good 11, they are in with a fair shout. It's a toss-up between the rest for me. We have as much chance as the next side. As far as the first 11 goes, there aren't many better than us. And there certainly ain't nothing like a CL game at Anfield.

We've got a chance as our XI is as good as any, and we have some good depth in some areas, but the others simply have stronger squads. We need to keep players fit and available. We couldn't afford to go to PSG or City - or play the final - and not have Trent, Fabinho or Mo for example.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:34:58 am by Fromola »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: September 15, 2021, 08:35:04 am »
Barcelona have never been the same since the 4-0 at ours. It completely broke them.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 15, 2021, 09:10:54 am »
Barcelona have never been the same since the 4-0 at ours. It completely broke them.

But for that they'd have won another treble which would have propped up the last president (as it did in 2015) so it probably did them a favour in the long run. They still had the same issues with an ageing team, unstable finances and shocking recruitment, hence the hammering they took at Roma the previous season (and Juve the year before).

Messi was covering so many cracks and 2019 would have been the biggest had he pulled off that CL win (his first leg performance was a masterclass in a team who were second best to us all over the pitch otherwise even with that scoreline and a depleted Liverpool team).

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #350 on: September 15, 2021, 11:03:05 am »

I reckon there’s Roma fans who think they broke Barcelona.

To be fair they broke themselves by making various poor financial, sporting and managerial/presidential decisions. The big defeats and the loss of key players have magnified those poor decisions to the wider football world. Think defeats, like the 4-0 v us, probably accelerated things to a degree since they didn’t get certain trophies that would have papered over the cracks
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 15, 2021, 01:30:28 pm »
Glorious watching Barca decline into the abyss

Offline ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:31 pm »
But for that they'd have won another treble which would have propped up the last president (as it did in 2015) so it probably did them a favour in the long run. They still had the same issues with an ageing team, unstable finances and shocking recruitment, hence the hammering they took at Roma the previous season (and Juve the year before).

Messi was covering so many cracks and 2019 would have been the biggest had he pulled off that CL win (his first leg performance was a masterclass in a team who were second best to us all over the pitch otherwise even with that scoreline and a depleted Liverpool team).

We were all over them in that first leg and they somehow managed to come away with a 3-0 victory which absolutely flattered them. I never expected us to go through after that, with our depleted squad, but their mentality was absolutely shocking.

Offline ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:53 pm »
Glorious watching Barca decline into the abyss

I'd rather it was Real Madrid but I'll take what I can get.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #354 on: September 15, 2021, 05:13:39 pm »

4 English Teams? Mate you've been overrating the Red Mancs now. Come on.. they're barely Quarter Final material, let alone going to the Finals and winning it all.

They've massive holes in their team. Maguire can be got at. De Gea can be got at. Wan Bissaka can be got at. Fred can be got at. Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo are going to jog around defensively. The big names are masking their weaknesses. They aren't any good.

The other three English sides have a good chance though along with PSG, Bayern and maybe Atletico, if they bring being their UCL of the years they reached the finals under Simeone.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #355 on: September 15, 2021, 05:19:27 pm »
I'd rather it was Real Madrid but I'll take what I can get.

Real Madrid aren't a lot better as well. They've Bale, Benzema and Hazard - two of those are done, and the other will be in an year or so. Vinicius' recent form is the only bright side.

Apart from them, Kroos, Modric and Carvajal are no longer who they were, they're done or close to being done as well. Casemiro has declined as well. Fabinho is counting his days  ;) Valverde is good, but that is one midfielder. Their defense has Eder Militao and Nacho, none of whom will ever be World Class.

Only Courtois and Alaba are in their peak now.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #356 on: September 15, 2021, 05:51:29 pm »
Heck of a save that is from Gregor Kobel.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2021, 05:52:06 pm »
Beşiktaş starting strong here.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #358 on: September 15, 2021, 06:04:56 pm »
what a goal from Jude.

Great finish through the goalies legs!

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #359 on: September 15, 2021, 06:05:37 pm »
Certainly against the run of play to that point but great goal.