Author Topic: Liverpool v AC Milan - Champions League Group Stage - 15/09/2021, 8pm, BT Sport  (Read 15719 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
<snip>

Let's do them. Let's take a revenge.
Ought to be a site-wide blanket ban on posting pics of Athens :nirnir

Other than Xabi’s dragback taking out Kaka and vague flashbacks of Pennant ripping them to shreds down the right (with Kuyt’s “quality” as a striker brutally exposed for what it was), I’ve blocked out all memories of that painfully frustrating night.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
I think we'll rotate a fair bit, yes we want to win all of our home games but equally those games can be the best time to bring squad players in and have their backs, rather than in a more hostile away ground. It's important to win but it's also important to avoid running players into the ground early on, and with quite a few of our rotation options being sharp from getting early games this season I think we'll make use of them.

With van Dijk only just returning and Matip having a poor injury record, I can see Gomez and Konate, who were brilliant in preseason, coming in. Robertson has played a ton too and Tsimikas will be sharp still so I can see him playing.

Midfield we have a few players still feeling their way back, I have a feeling Henderson was saved for this which is why he was on the bench against Leeds, Keita had a great start to the season and hasn't played for the last couple so I think he could come in, possibly Milner too depending on his recovery.

Front three I think we'll stick with the usual and hope to get the chance to sub them early.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Today I feel fortunate that last year's group was a bit underwhelming with Atalanta and Midjytlland, the games being behind closed doors. It was annoying then, but the situation was what it was. It would have been criminal for this year's group to be played behind closed doors, especially the Milan games.

Great chance to get three points tonight. They're missing their very old, very cringe inducing talisman, and have an inexperienced squad at this level. They seem to have good squad spirit that gets them through games with adequate quality sprinkled throughout. I'd expect Liverpool to be in control of the game, and hopefully the grandeur of the night makes us that bit more composed and ruthless in front of the goal. Looking at you, Sadio  ;D - Tonight would be an excellent occasion for his century goal, he was the man who helped get us back into this competition when he first joined the club, and got those important goals against Palace at the end of last season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
I think we'll rotate a fair bit, yes we want to win all of our home games but equally those games can be the best time to bring squad players in and have their backs, rather than in a more hostile away ground. It's important to win but it's also important to avoid running players into the ground early on, and with quite a few of our rotation options being sharp from getting early games this season I think we'll make use of them.

With van Dijk only just returning and Matip having a poor injury record, I can see Gomez and Konate, who were brilliant in preseason, coming in. Robertson has played a ton too and Tsimikas will be sharp still so I can see him playing.

Midfield we have a few players still feeling their way back, I have a feeling Henderson was saved for this which is why he was on the bench against Leeds, Keita had a great start to the season and hasn't played for the last couple so I think he could come in, possibly Milner too depending on his recovery.

Front three I think we'll stick with the usual and hope to get the chance to sub them early.

I can see a few changes too. I think Henderson will definitely come in, and can see Keita accompanying him with Fabinho. Front 3 and keeper pick themselves. Trent will play you'd be fairly certain of that. Robertson or Tsimikas? Could really be either or, though I'd not expect Robertson to play this and Palace. Personally I think despite their quality, playing Gomez and Konate who have no proper minutes this season would be a risk. I'd keep Van Dijk in tonight and rest Matip for the weekend, bringing Gomez in tonight.

May have passed people by too, but it's still 5 subs allowed in Europe.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for the OP.
Personally I am sorry Ibra is not playing. It's good to have a good bogeyman to raise the spirits as he flounders around. Giroud is a good percentage player and generally gives our defenders a bit to think about. Flying absolutely blind otherwise about Madrid but they are young, on the way up and first time back in the competition for a long time. (Reminds me of us in 17-18).
I could see a new centre half in. If Virgil plays there is the option of playing Tsimikas as well. (Robbo was great last weekend, back to his buzzing best).
Fab, Hendo and Tiago plus the usual suspects.
Wouldn't surprise me if Naby got a start and it wouldn't shock me if Curtis played some game time tonight.
2-0 the Reds.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Can someone explain why despite playing our CL match tonight, we are playing on the Saturday in the PL, while both United and Chelsea played yesterday, yet play their PL games on the Sunday? City seem to have been shafted as well, not that I give two fucks about them..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
Cheers for the OP. Personally I am sorry Ibra is not playing. It's good to have a good bogeyman to raise the spirits as he flounders around.
He was utter shite at his peak 13 years ago, the last time he played CL at Anfield (Inter, 2008).
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Someone said they expect Milner to start....I sure hope not.

He's an amazing pro - but we don't need him to be starting these games when we have Thiago, Fabinho, Keita, Jones, Henderson all fit and available.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
Boss
https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1437868762376462338?s=21

Fantastic video featuring two storied clubs. A proper European fixture.

State of the comments under that video, though. Twitter really is just a flowing pit of shite.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
And long before Istanbul and Athens, AC Milan supporters showed their class in our darkest hour. They made sure we never walked alone and they've sung our song on a few occasions since then. Great club and class supporters. Hope their fans are made welcome tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFX07w2-4ls

Up the reds!

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Anyone know if Antonio Conte is in town 99% sure just walked past him round the corner from the Indigo hotel
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Anyone know if Antonio Conte is in town 99% sure just walked past him round the corner from the Indigo hotel

Tug his hair and see how he reacts, then you'll know for sure.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
Yes. He's working for Sky Italia.
https://sport.sky.it/calcio/champions-league/2021/09/15/conte-liverpool-milan-beatles?social=twitter_skysport_link_null
And secretly meeting with Moshiri to discuss the inevitable event in the next 6 months (he is infamously attracted by the very same thing that lured Ancelotti, and by that I don’t mean Duncan Ferguson).

Separately, it’s sweet the reverence and aura they seem to give to the “Cavern”, Conte signing the low vault ceiling bricks and feeling the history by the sounds of it. I guess nobody’s explained the truth of it ;D

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
He'll be letting them know up the M62 that he's still out of work. A few bob from Sky till Ole is sent packing. I guess nobody's explained the truth of that lot to him either.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
First CL game with fans in a while. At Anfield. Against AC Milan. We're playing our strongest XI.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
First CL game with fans in a while. At Anfield. Against AC Milan. We're playing our strongest XI.

2 changes max with 1 being the Elliot replacement

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
I'm surprised at the calls for VVD to be rested. Palace at the weekend is far more winable than tonight, he could have a rest then. I think same team as Sunday but with Henderson in.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
I think you might know since he walked past you :D

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
I’d rotate VVD and Matip both here. Henderson and one of Keita/Milner/Jones probably come in too.

Shame we don’t have many interchangeable forward options - looks like Mane and Salah will be expected to play 45+ games this season.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can someone explain why despite playing our CL match tonight, we are playing on the Saturday in the PL, while both United and Chelsea played yesterday, yet play their PL games on the Sunday? City seem to have been shafted as well, not that I give two fucks about them..

Just swings and roundabouts, I think. In the next round of games, we play Tuesday (Porto) then Sunday (City).

Also we're playing this coming Tuesday in the League Cup, so a Saturday game is probably preferable to a Sunday one. Klopp's issue is with a 12.30 Sat after a Wed night game, don't think he'll be bothered about this gap at all especially since both games are at home.

Actually, Chelsea are playing Spurs and United are playing West Ham on Sunday - both of those are playing European football on Thursday nights so they have to play their PL games on the Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:54:58 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Yeah, this is a no brainer for me. To throw in a brand new CB pair would be madness. Maybe Matip is rested, maybe Kostas or Keita get to play. But my guess is the same team as last game, with Henderson obviously.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
I'm surprised at the calls for VVD to be rested. Palace at the weekend is far more winable than tonight, he could have a rest then. I think same team as Sunday but with Henderson in.

I think it's more important we rest Matip given his recurring injury problems. It's basically guaranteed he'll pick something up from time to time. Van Dijk doesn't have those recurring problems even if the injury he's coming off of is worse. Hope Virgil does start tonight with one of Gomez/Konate alongside him. One game a week for Matip at the moment I'd think.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I think what makes it hard to predict is that the vast majority of the first XI will be rested against Norwich next Tuesday. So if you rest someone against Palace, they'll end up going 10 days without a game which is arguably where the rest starts being too long.

Question for me is whether Klopp wants to start giving Konate and Gomez gametime. I think something like Matip/Gomez tonight then Virgil/Konate against Palace makes sense, then you do Konate/Gomez at Norwich. That spreads things around nicely.

But FWIW I think Virgil plays tonight and on Saturday  :D

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We need to win this game, it's a tough group so winning the home games is imperative.

Strongest team possible.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Personally i don't think we'll see much team changes to be honest. This and league is all that matters strong sides all the way until we are in the next round then rotate. Rest all first teamers for league and Fa cup games.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
Personally I'd go with a Gomez - Konate pairing tonight, not just to give Virg and Joel a rest but because we need them to have minutes in their legs. In the areas we have strength we need to make use of it.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Ac Mlan players coming off the bus yesterday at Anfield and the fans only want Maldini's autograph. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qOccg5mmmpc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qOccg5mmmpc</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
I’m also in two minds about rotation. I suspect we might start with our strongest team, including Matip and Van Dijk, and look to sub around the 60-min mark. Then do something similar in the league. But I have no idea what Jurgen will go eventually go for.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Matip will break if we play him twice a week. It’s sad but it’s the way it is. Gomez or Konate to start tonight, the rest should be our strongest XI.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
I’m also in two minds about rotation. I suspect we might start with our strongest team, including Matip and Van Dijk, and look to sub around the 60-min mark. Then do something similar in the league. But I have no idea what Jurgen will go eventually go for.

He never does that.

Personally would make two changes for this - Henderson and Gomez in

Are there five subs?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
He never does that.

Personally would make two changes for this - Henderson and Gomez in

Are there five subs?

yes

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Salivating

this is going to be great

Two historic enemies, gladiators... and we will conquer them once more

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
We really do have a tough group but that's part of what makes it exciting, really looking forward to this in full stadia, so much better. gonna be great.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
It's a tough group but we're the best team in there  :D

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Milan are a good side, with some excellent young players. They’ll come and attack with pace and intensity. Leao is a quality player and will cause us problems. They’ll probably be open at the back though, and we’ll be too strong. Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them still in the mix on Match Day 6.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mate, if Big Ali scores another last minute header I want you to be a bit more partial in commentary okay?

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Mate, if Big Ali scores another last minute header I want you to be a bit more partial in commentary okay?
;D
Ok mate; I’ll go full Martin Tyler when commentating on Yernited.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
In the taxi waiting to get to the ground… dizzy with excitement. I’m back. Fuck me, this feels like my first time again.

Come on Redmen
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
;D
Ok mate; I’ll go full Martin Tyler when commentating on Yernited.

I don't want RAWK to get complaints mate. Don't straddle the line that far.