Author Topic: Liverpool Parks (without their own thread!)  (Read 1729 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Liverpool Parks (without their own thread!)
« on: April 1, 2021, 09:13:31 pm »
I noticed their are already threads on Sefton Park, Reynolds Park and Calderstones, so rather than take those threads off topic, I thought I would start a new topic to do with all other Liverpool parks.

I love our Parks, I think outside London, Liverpool can proudly boast the most free public parks and gardens. Here are a few favourites of mine and the reasons why!

Dovecote Park..as a kid growing up in Dovecote in the late 60's Dovey Park was my second home, it was just one big vast footy pitch to us, and we played there till it was dark. I always remember Everton player Alan Whittle, would often walk through it with a pair of white boots over his shoulder ( in the days players did stuff like that!) I know it was Alan Ball who people associate with white boots but Whittle deffo had a pair too!

The Mystery (Wavertree Playground)..named after a 'mystery' donator purchased a large piece of demolished land and offered it to the Council to build a purpose built playground with children in mind, which the Council did. Later it was known the generous offer was from Philip H Holt. This was my home footy pitch when I played in the Business House League for a team based in a nearby Restaurant on Wavertree High St, not much of a team but we had a fantastic kit!

Newsham Park..very underrated this Park, but I love it, something for everyone! Nice little place to get a snack there too now. Living in Kensington, I would take my partners little lad there loads of times, great play areas, a lake, skate board / bike area, and overall a really clean and well looked after Park. It backs onto the very haunted house on Orphan Drive too!

Poets Park (Bootke)..more recently some friends of mine moved to Wordsworth Street in Bootle, all the surrounding Street names are named after poets, so that's how this Park got its name. It's just little swing Park for children really, but  there is a grassed area  and a basket ball court area there too. I now take my friends children there to play there. Haha...I just had to knock out a poem about this Park!

I took a little stroll down Bibby's Lane.
The clouds had shifted, no more rain.
Then I walked up Wordsworth Street.
My walk to the park almost complete.
Then up streets called Gower and Gray.
Then into 'Poets Park' I made my way.
All around me I see poet named streets.
Tennyson, Longfellow, Byron and Keats.
I then sat in the park beneath the Sun
Lots of children playing, all having fun.
A flock of birds flew above, wing to wing
A beautiful day in Bootle, in early Spring.
Glorious sunshine now decorated the sky.
Then I visited Simona, who lived nearby.

Stanley Park..I live in Arkles Road now, so this magnificent park is on my door stop. Stanley Park has everything including children's play areas, the palm House, a lake, Delilah Walk and loads of well kept grassed areas. As I love writing poetry I have wrote loads sitting in this Park, just simple observations really, so much to see and take in.

I sat in Stanley Park with my late tea.
A 3 piece meal, plus a coke for me!
I saw a halo like sun, pale but bright.
As late evening slowly turned to night.
I minded 3 children earlier in the day.
North Park in Bootle we went to play.
That  park was full, in the glorious sun.
It felt just like the summer had come!
I sat on the bench, a little time to think.
I finished my supper, my food and drink.
Then to Highclere House, Liverpool 4.
My little flat, my home on the 3rd floor.
Now the sun was handing over the key.
As it said its goodnight to you and me.

« Last Edit: April 3, 2021, 09:50:42 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Parks (without their own thread!)
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2021, 09:36:11 pm »
My Dads mate lived in Tuebrook so we used to play in Newsham Park as kids. Their son was really accident prone, one time he fell and cut his face so we nipped into Newsham Park Hospital to get him fixed up, then we goes back and he falls in the lake, I had to fish him out.

As a baby we lived off Walton Road and my Mum used to take me to Stanley Park for a walk. As kids we'd go the Palm House or just play in the Park with my cousins. As I got older it was Karate in the Vernon Sangster, where my Dad met Shanks or walking through going to/from the match.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2021, 10:02:50 pm »
I spent a lot of time in Newsham Park as a child.  It's a charming place, but always seemed badly in need of maintenance.  The pathways especially would flood badly in the rain, with the grass around the submerged path becoming a muddy quagmire at least sixty feet across.  A right pain in the arse.

Sort the drainage and it would be really nice to walk through.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 1, 2021, 11:28:06 pm »
Little known fact.

Can't find it now, but I read  somewhere once that Liverpool City Engineer, and major contributor/inventor of football nets, John Alexander Brodie, trialled the use of football nets in games on Stanley Park, before proving successful, and introduced by the Football League to all games.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 1, 2021, 11:41:15 pm »
Always enjoyed visiting Allerton Towers, and Camp Hill.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2021, 01:30:10 am »
^ same
Nice one Mike. Liverpool’s parks are wonderful
Spent every childhood summer in a Clark gardens, Allerton Towers and Camp Hill when my mum worked in the Derby Arms on Menlove.
Teenage years playing tennis at Caldies with a crappy racket and a few scrounged tennis balls. and as a young man doing my running laps around Sevvie.
Then teaching my daughter to ride her bike in Caldies again. Good times

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2021, 09:36:10 am »
crocky park - or croxteth hall & country park as it's officially called

don't be put off visiting this park because of the named link to croxteth and all the bad press that that gets because of the gangs and nobheads that live there - they are the minority as 90% of the people who live in crocky are good honest people - as it's a great park really large in size with nice wooded areas and long walks

there's stables there, a falcon centre - when open - and a separate section for the kids by the main hall and it also has a visitor centre and a cafe area - when open - but the main lake/pond needs attention as it's the only part of the park that looks unkempt

it also holds the odd event and concert - lewis capaldi played there not my bag but he seems a decent fella

anyhoo, i'm off to collect my £50 from them now  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #7 on: April 2, 2021, 11:10:10 am »
Some great shouts here, Crocky Park is fantastic, I've spent loads of time there when my daughters where young, great memories.

The Parks in Woolton/Allerton are loveky too, remember as kid going to Clark Gardens but can't remember exactly where that is now, by Allerton Towers?

Camphill, great place to chill as not so many kids there, no play area as such but loads of big slopes to roll down!
When I was a Postie in Woolton Village, we would often go over to Camphill for a short game of cricket in our break. It was just for a laugh, one pad between between us etc, but some fella took it really seriously, short of wearing whites he looked and acted the part. He use to twat my 'bowling' all over the park!

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #8 on: April 2, 2021, 02:01:08 pm »
I live right by Everton Park, cracking views up there if you can avoid the scallies on quad bikes.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #9 on: April 2, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »
I live right by Everton Park, cracking views up there if you can avoid the scallies on quad bikes.

Yes, I was up there a few weeks ago, one of the tallest points in the City I believe, great views over the river. These kids on the bikes need dealing with, they seem to be everywhere making a nuisance of themselves.

Botanic Park is another decent small  park, handy when I lived in Toft St just across Edge Lane with my girls. Played footy there too in one of the Sat/Sun Leagues, played in so many can't remember which team. Good, flat pitches but quite small.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #10 on: April 2, 2021, 03:28:05 pm »
crocky park - or croxteth hall & country park as it's officially called

I spent half of my childhood in Crocky Park as all we had to to was to jump over the wall at the top of our street. The amount of times Ive fell in the Alt or one of the ponds is mad.

Iam surprised nobody has mentioned Greenbank yet. Wools.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: April 2, 2021, 06:34:09 pm »
As a former resident of Norris Green I can vouch that my footballing skills where honed on
the green fields of Norris Green park.
Many happy memories of scoring wonderful goals in my Gola football boots.
Also was a place where we used to meet the local girls for some love action.
Keep meaning to go back and relive my youth.

Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 2, 2021, 07:04:47 pm »
As a former resident of Norris Green I can vouch that my footballing skills where honed on
the green fields of Norris Green park.

Bloody hell Jack mate, I just had to look at that on google earth. A typical south-ender, I didn't even know there was a Norris Green Park, even though my cousin married a girl from Lorenzo Drive  ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 2, 2021, 07:42:11 pm »
I spent half of my childhood in Crocky Park as all we had to to was to jump over the wall at the top of our street. The amount of times Ive fell in the Alt or one of the ponds is mad.

Iam surprised nobody has mentioned Greenbank yet. Wools.

One of my favourites actually. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #14 on: April 2, 2021, 08:23:23 pm »
Nice little cafe in the Greenbank Park now...bit pricey like, but good to have. I think it's called The Watering Can.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 2, 2021, 08:39:56 pm »
Nice little cafe in the Greenbank Park now...bit pricey like, but good to have. I think it's called The Watering Can.

Yeah, I've gone there a lot during lockdown.  It's a good 80 minute round trip for me so a great way to get some steps in.  They do a very nice chicken club for about £8.50 but their breakfast menu is a bit steep.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16 on: April 2, 2021, 09:57:57 pm »
As a very young kid Princes Park, my sister in her pram, me whinging to my mum I wa tired. We lived off Mill Street so would get the 85 to Aigburth Vale and walk down to Otterspool prom through the park (name escapes me). There was a sandstone bridge carrying the railway and I loved the noise of the train going over head.

Clarke Gardens has been mentioned and I spent a lot of time there from about 8 onwards. There's an old machine gun shelter and a great place to jump off. There was some form of pets corner there in the 70s and have fond memories wandering around there in a hazy, stoned space when I had shoulder length hair and a Charles Mansonesque beard.

If you go through Clarke Gardens heading towards Camp Hill (there's a small forest there now) before the football fields there is a minature Rift Valley which was known as No Man's Land when we were kids. We'd spend hours there with our home made bow and arrows and playing split the kipper with our sheath knives. A stream of sorts ran through the middle of the territory, very handy for seeing who could piss the furthest.

Allerton Towers and Sudley are both ace as well.

Newsham Park was were the High Court judges stayed when in Circuit. Well not in a tent but in the Judges House.