Poll

Just curious about the impact Covid-19 is having

I work in the UK and normally work from home
30 (17.8%)
I work in the UK and don't normally work from home but have started  to \ expect to by April
80 (47.3%)
I work in the UK and working from home isn't an option
33 (19.5%)
I live but don't work in the UK
0 (0%)
I don't live in the UK
26 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 23, 2020, 02:56:14 pm

Author Topic: Working From Home  (Read 168495 times)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: Working From Home
« Reply #1720 on: September 9, 2021, 12:47:34 pm »
Really does have a negative impact on my mental health at home.

I'm noticing on the days I'm in the office I feel less exhausted in the evenings (despite me running in yesterday morning I felt better waking up today and had a better night's sleep last night).

At home today and feel fucked off already

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1721 on: September 9, 2021, 02:46:10 pm »
I know mate nice one, I think I will decide tomorrow  :)
Did you make a decision about the job?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1722 on: September 9, 2021, 02:49:36 pm »

I'm noticing on the days I'm in the office I feel less exhausted in the evenings (despite me running in yesterday morning I felt better waking up today and had a better night's sleep last night).

I'm completely the opposite, being stuck in traffic or stuck on a crowded train for two hours with other commuters is worse for me.  I much prefer getting up at 08:30am for a 9am start to getting up at 5:00am to catch the train to London at 6am then a three hour commute into London before I have even done a stroke of work.  At first I missed the unwind time and the time being able to read a book both before and after work but the longer it goes on, the more I don't want to go back to the constant travelling that I was doing before

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1723 on: September 9, 2021, 03:02:25 pm »
I'm completely the opposite, being stuck in traffic or stuck on a crowded train for two hours with other commuters is worse for me.  I much prefer getting up at 08:30am for a 9am start to getting up at 5:00am to catch the train to London at 6am then a three hour commute into London before I have even done a stroke of work.  At first I missed the unwind time and the time being able to read a book both before and after work but the longer it goes on, the more I don't want to go back to the constant travelling that I was doing before

I have a 1.5 mile commute. That's sort of my point. It's great my work is leaving it up to individuals. Others maybe aren't so lucky

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1724 on: September 9, 2021, 03:24:23 pm »
I have a 1.5 mile commute. That's sort of my point. It's great my work is leaving it up to individuals. Others maybe aren't so lucky
That's a bit different then, I know some of my colleagues who live relatively close to the office have been struggling, more so those that live alone.  I might feel the same if I lived closer too.  Yes it is good that your employer is leaving it up to individuals.  Found out that two weeks ago the business I work for has been sold to a different company and I suspect this new lot might not be as keen on home working as the previous management, time will tell...

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1725 on: September 9, 2021, 03:27:45 pm »
That's a bit different then, I know some of my colleagues who live relatively close to the office have been struggling, more so those that live alone.  I might feel the same if I lived closer too.  Yes it is good that your employer is leaving it up to individuals.  Found out that two weeks ago the business I work for has been sold to a different company and I suspect this new lot might not be as keen on home working as the previous management, time will tell...

Sorry to hear that. I know how lucky I am and it's not because I want to "work collaboratively" with anyone. I'm quite happy in the office when there's only a handful of us in. Long term permanent WFH isn't for me. I realise for a many it's great

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1726 on: September 9, 2021, 03:59:04 pm »
Its really screwed me over working from home. I've put on at least two stone and was already a fat git! Its the sitting in my kitchen within easy reach of the cupboard and fridge, the ability to click a few buttons and have Amazon Prime come to my house within a few hours, and the lack of commuting (ie walking from the bus stop to the office), then walking around the office all day.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1727 on: September 9, 2021, 04:23:01 pm »
Its really screwed me over working from home. I've put on at least two stone and was already a fat git! Its the sitting in my kitchen within easy reach of the cupboard and fridge, the ability to click a few buttons and have Amazon Prime come to my house within a few hours, and the lack of commuting (ie walking from the bus stop to the office), then walking around the office all day.

I took delivery of an exercise bike today. Been walking 2 miles every dinner time since I started wfh, but its the other exercise like walking to and from the car park, climbing 11 flights of stairs, the 100yard walk to the coffee machine and back and going down 6 floor for a piss that is missing, so I want to do 30 mins as soon as I get up and maybe 30 mins after tea.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1728 on: September 9, 2021, 04:29:29 pm »

Totally the opposite. Having to spend 3-4 hours a day travelling and stuck on shitty trains/caught up in traffic and then finishing for the day knowing that you're not going to be home for another 2 hours or so.

Basically adds 3-4 hours to your working day.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1729 on: September 9, 2021, 04:56:19 pm »

I've been working on a kitchen table (in our conservatory) the last couple of weeks. The not ideal set up is hurting my back.
Feel for those that have no choice but shitty set ups.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1730 on: September 9, 2021, 05:09:16 pm »
And, if you, AndyMuller, go for the lower paying option, be sure to tell your wife that you chose that because of the feedback and advice you received at RAWK! I expect that'll go down wonderfully. ;D
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1731 on: September 9, 2021, 06:15:45 pm »
I've been working on a kitchen table (in our conservatory) the last couple of weeks. The not ideal set up is hurting my back.
Feel for those that have no choice but shitty set ups.

That doesn't sound great. I'm lucky in that we have two spare rooms and one of them is big enough for two desks. I have a monitor and it's not a bad set up. The natural light in works office is much better though. We have ceiling to floor windows whereas at home it's obviously a normal bedroom window.

Real first world problems  ::)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1732 on: September 9, 2021, 06:19:09 pm »

Ended up sticking with the current job but told them I want to work from home more because of the commute, see what happens next week  ;D

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: September 9, 2021, 07:53:30 pm »
That doesn't sound great. I'm lucky in that we have two spare rooms and one of them is big enough for two desks. I have a monitor and it's not a bad set up. The natural light in works office is much better though. We have ceiling to floor windows whereas at home it's obviously a normal bedroom window.

Real first world problems  ::)
Yeah. I'm only in the conservatory for a change of scenery to be fair. Going to have to jack that in.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: September 9, 2021, 07:54:16 pm »
Ended up sticking with the current job but told them I want to work from home more because of the commute, see what happens next week  ;D
Good on you. Worrying that companies are already paying you less while they save on office space

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1735 on: September 10, 2021, 12:30:33 am »
fair enough, at least you have a bargaining chip that you are actively seeking alternative employment if they don't let you

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: September 15, 2021, 11:41:22 am »
Network down at work, can't connect via VPN, can't do any work ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1737 on: September 15, 2021, 11:52:09 am »
Sorry to hear that. I know how lucky I am and it's not because I want to "work collaboratively" with anyone. I'm quite happy in the office when there's only a handful of us in. Long term permanent WFH isn't for me. I realise for a many it's great

Me either. I'm in no hurry to get back to the office full time, but I know I'm just dossing about at home.
There's no one in my chain of command that can do my role, so none of them know exactly what it entails, how long it takes me to do things, whether what I'm doing is a piece of piss or pretty difficult. They basically trust what I'm telling them.
The issue there is what I am telling them isn't necessarily the exact truth. I can do something in 20 minutes, but tell them it took 4 hours, and they are none the wiser.
Open my emails in the morning, nothing urgent to do, straight on RAWK and that can be me for the whole day at times.
I reckon I'm easily 80% less effective at home than I would be in the office.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1738 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:42 pm »
Me either. I'm in no hurry to get back to the office full time, but I know I'm just dossing about at home.
There's no one in my chain of command that can do my role, so none of them know exactly what it entails, how long it takes me to do things, whether what I'm doing is a piece of piss or pretty difficult. They basically trust what I'm telling them.
The issue there is what I am telling them isn't necessarily the exact truth. I can do something in 20 minutes, but tell them it took 4 hours, and they are none the wiser.
Open my emails in the morning, nothing urgent to do, straight on RAWK and that can be me for the whole day at times.

In saying all that Barney I was in the office for a half day today.

Noise and general excitement from people who haven't been in so far.

Couple that with some dirty bastard who had a shit and didn't wash his hands after ....

Thankfully, I'm in the pub before the train to Liverpool later.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1739 on: September 15, 2021, 01:02:18 pm »

But if all you are doing at home is surfing RAWK , why are you any more productive in the office?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1740 on: September 15, 2021, 01:09:11 pm »
But if all you are doing at home is surfing RAWK , why are you any more productive in the office?

Pre covid, there would have been about 80-100 people on the office floor. That included the line managers and pretty much the full chain of command. Would be pretty obvious if I was sitting on RAWK the whole day rather than doing my job.
A large part of the role was one to one coaching. We can still do that over Teams, but mainly it's all just through messaging rather than video or calls, so it's too easy to just send a quick link with instructions rather than talk someone through the issue or sit with them to explain where they are going wrong.

I don't do it every day. There are some parts of the job that are pretty difficult and can take a full day, or even a few days. There are things I need to do that have a deadline etc. But if there are none of those to do, it's just far too easy to do very little.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:12:41 pm by Barneylfc∗ »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1741 on: September 21, 2021, 01:11:54 pm »
if you're still able to effectively do your job at home, even with 80% of procrastinating, i don't really see the issue. a lot of us just end up doing busy work in the office to look busy because people are around.

a lot of my team take a long time to do things which take me significantly less time for the same exact work. work is still getting done at a good standard and no deadlines are being missed. i can also do it now without someone nattering in my ear about the weather for 4 hours too.
YNWA.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1742 on: September 21, 2021, 01:13:55 pm »
I wonder if recent energy price increases will make people more willing to get back to the office.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1743 on: September 21, 2021, 01:18:11 pm »
I wonder if recent energy price increases will make people more willing to get back to the office.

for me going into the office full time = £1800ish annual travelcard, £50/month-ish gym in the city, £10/day food/drink (minimum) and just general TFL aggro and time wasted.

unless they're crazy price hikes I think it wouldn't force the hand of many office workers unless you live very local or in a 'cheaper' commute area when you add up the extra costs of going in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:21:01 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1744 on: September 21, 2021, 01:19:59 pm »
Clinical or cynical?
You aren't suggesting Boris lot are smart enough to engineer that....

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1745 on: September 21, 2021, 01:20:50 pm »
for me going into the office full time = £1800ish annual travelcard, £50/month-ish gym in the city, £10/day food/drink (minimum) and just general TFL aggro and time wasted.

unless they're crazy price hikes I think it wouldn't force the hand of many office workers unless you live very local when you add up the extra costs of going in.
I live really local to my house .

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #1746 on: September 21, 2021, 01:27:43 pm »

only if it compares to the £400 a month it used to cost me to go to the office four days a week.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: September 21, 2021, 01:38:12 pm »

but does it let you bounce ideas off people?  ;D
YNWA.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1748 on: September 21, 2021, 01:40:13 pm »
definitely think the commute plays a big part in how you feel about WFH.

went back in for the first time since March 2020 last week. was only for 1 day but it was absolutely miserable, sitting on that rammed bus for 1hr in the morning, then 2hrs on the way home with the traffic. could just feel a black cloud descending on me, remembering it, realising the last 18 months of WFH will seem like a dream soon enough. can't believe i did it 5 days a week, just so much dead time, utterly wasted. wouldn't be anywhere near as depressing if my office was a short walk or cycle away.

given me a whole new appreciation for working from home after taking it for granted for so long, will definitely need to be something I consider jobwise if we do end up going back in full time.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1749 on: September 21, 2021, 04:28:02 pm »
It does become difficult when you've been shown the other side - identical levels of productivity and success within the company, all without you sat in traffic for 10+ hours a week. I've moved house recently and been without internet so been having to 'commute' to my parent's up the M53, sat on that for 2 -3 hours a day (office is being refurbed and not ready yet). It makes a huge difference to your mood and how you feel to start the week. It also means I can't go for a swim or run etc in the morning unless I'm getting up at 5am odd, which just isn't good.

Dench, hopefully your work will have some flexibility around wfh.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1750 on: September 21, 2021, 06:40:23 pm »
It absolutely does. I know if I was still living off Stanley Road and getting the train to Gatley everyday I'd be in a different mood than I am with a 30 minute walk to work (or as I will do tomorrow take a longer route but run in).

I know it's a first world problem, but I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck at home five days a week

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: September 21, 2021, 07:12:13 pm »
I love the flexibility, started at 7:30 this morning, went the shops at quarter to 9, then at 2:45 nipped out again to go the chemist and get an anniversary card for tomorrow.

I don't even feel guilty when I skive, as in the office we'd waste hours every week just chatting shite, Mondays would be footy chat for at least an hour first thing.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1752 on: September 21, 2021, 07:41:57 pm »

Most people live extremely local to their house to be fair :P
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1753 on: September 21, 2021, 08:39:18 pm »
Most people live extremely local to their house to be fair :P

Just a short walk from the doghouse to my house most mornings.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: September 21, 2021, 08:51:47 pm »
Just a short walk from the doghouse to my house most mornings.

Most used room in our house

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1755 on: September 21, 2021, 09:18:28 pm »
I know it's a first world problem, but I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck at home five days a week

being stuck is a pretty negative view of things.

Its nice to make a nice lunch, exercise for 45 minutes during the day and have lunch in front of the telly or try to have lunch with a friend in the same boat

I think age makes a difference, if you are younger home may suck. I'm older and not trying to climb a corporate ladder or mingle. I'm fairly happy not putting up with office shite

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1756 on: September 21, 2021, 09:39:16 pm »
being stuck is a pretty negative view of things.

Its nice to make a nice lunch, exercise for 45 minutes during the day and have lunch in front of the telly or try to have lunch with a friend in the same boat

I think age makes a difference, if you are younger home may suck. I'm older and not trying to climb a corporate ladder or mingle. I'm fairly happy not putting up with office shite
Agreed.

Not WFH isn't something I want or I'm comfortable with. It doesn't lessen my output working from home and my morale wouldn't change being in office.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1757 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:33 pm »
Still loving working from home.

In terms of being stuck at home - I've started regularly going to the gym almost every day which is something I was never able to do while having to travel into the office

I used to get home and I'd be nackered, just want to relax. Whereas now, I'm itching to do something as soon as I've finished work most of the time and can use the last hour or so to properly hype myself up

Thinking of it the commute really did tire me mentally and physically. In fact, in the months before Covid I had actually started walking to and from work every day - around 40 min walk - because I hated it that much.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1758 on: September 22, 2021, 06:25:29 am »
I'd challenge that it's a negative view. It's how it feels to me.

I'm not putting pressure on anyone in the team or wider business to be in the office, personally the option of being able to go in to the office massively helps me in a number of ways.

When the office was shut and I was working from home all the time, I was mentally and physically shattered at the end of the day. I don't get that way with my current arrangement that works for me

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1759 on: September 22, 2021, 06:50:37 am »
It's all personal preference, some people prefer to be in the office all week, some part and some like me who are happy to never set foot in the place again. Whatever works for the individual, especially where their mental health is concerned should be every employers main focus.