The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

International Watch

<< < (420/582) > >>

Legs:

--- Quote from: El Lobo on May 25, 2022, 10:44:32 am ---Didn't he pretty much have that response when asked about where its taking place?

--- End quote ---

Yes he did and Eddie Howe has borrowed it fron him too !!

oojason:

--- Quote from: thaddeus on May 25, 2022, 10:20:37 am ---I don't rate Southgate as a tactician but he's the best we've had in my lifetime for everything else the England job entails.  He's been really clear and consistent on "taking the knee" and he went in two-footed on the trolls after the penalty shoot-out loss.  When players have, in his eyes, disrespected the privilege of playing for England he's bombed them out.

He also took a broader view of the stupid pitch invasions we've seen in the past few weeks (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61569269).  The usual cowardly response of "my job is just to pick an England team" isn't one I've ever heard him use.

--- End quote ---

He's an apathetic twat on Qatar...

--- Quote from: oojason on March 26, 2022, 12:48:46 am ---'Gareth Southgate has questioned what England would achieve by boycotting this year's World Cup due to human rights issues in Qatar.':-

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1507478234430062594 (2 minute video)

"The biggest issue that is non-religious and non-cultural is what happened with the building of the stadiums - and there is nothing we can do about that either".

Then goes into whataboutery on Sainsburys and investments in the UK... can't even bring himself to acknowledge or mention the 6500+ deaths of the stadium workers.

--- End quote ---

He won't even mention the numbers of deaths for the construction workers there, or talk about the appalling conditions for the workers - just a glib "there is nothing we can do about that either" -in various situations where Qatar has been brought up in conversation with him. Like others said in Qatar thread, he's in the best job he'll ever likely have - so he won't rock the boat - safe pair of hands and all that.

I've no doubt in the future... he'll come out with a few lines about 'having some regrets' about not speaking up more etc - but it'll likely just be glib lip-service.

El Lobo:
I can't imagine why he'd decline to talk about human rights records of Gulf states involved in football tho....oh

thaddeus:
I take it back.  Either you have morals or you don't - cherry picking them depending on who has money/influence is crap.  Reminiscent of the yellow-ribbon wearer.

It's doubly a shame as I think Southgate seems a genuinely decent man and I'm still glad he made the comments he has in the past few days.  It shows how insidious the influence of Qatar is that he can't or won't speak out on this issue.

kavah:
Hendo gets the Summer off, Trent, Walker, Trippier and Reece James look like they'll all get a game each.

“... we felt that with Hendo, we didn’t need to see him this summer and with Trent, slightly different. We’d like him to be with us from the start of the camp. We gave him the option of reporting a bit later so he got a longer break after the final, but he felt more comfortable to keep going and finish a bit earlier.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/24/england-gareth-southgate-jarrod-bowen-james-justin-first-call-ups-squad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version