Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 246835 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Cancer
« Reply #2600 on: September 3, 2021, 07:38:22 pm »
Great news Nick mate, puts everything in to perspective eh!

Take care of yourself.

It does - be good to get the meeting next week done
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2601 on: September 3, 2021, 07:41:29 pm »
It does - be good to get the meeting next week done

Then get that holiday booked mate 👍

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2602 on: September 3, 2021, 07:43:48 pm »
Then get that holiday booked mate 👍

Exactly that.

Would love to be in the sun having a few beers.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2603 on: September 4, 2021, 09:24:56 am »
I have some positive news 😀

The tumour was cancerous but it is what is called a Stage one Seminoma. It’s the earliest stage of testicular cancer. The cancer is only in the testicle and hasn't spread to nearby lymph nodes or other organs.

I will still need to see the orcologist in Brighton to determine next steps but the nurse thinks it is monitoring only in these cases. The worse case would be preventative chemo.

I am at my Hospital on Tuesday to assess the wound.

Good stuff,must be a huge relief. :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2604 on: September 4, 2021, 10:36:12 am »

The tumour was cancerous but it is what is called a Stage one Seminoma. It’s the earliest stage of testicular cancer. The cancer is only in the testicle and hasn't spread to nearby lymph nodes or other organs.

I will still need to see the orcologist in Brighton to determine next steps but the nurse thinks it is monitoring only in these cases. The worse case would be preventative chemo.

That sounds like great news. Got all my fingers crossed for you mate.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2605 on: September 5, 2021, 10:15:14 pm »
The news about Sarah Harding is extremely sad, heart-breaking isn't t.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2606 on: September 5, 2021, 10:20:25 pm »
Really sad news John mate. She was only 8 years older than me.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2607 on: September 5, 2021, 10:23:47 pm »
Very sad John. Just feels very tragic when it happens to someone so young.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2608 on: September 6, 2021, 01:36:18 pm »
The news about Sarah Harding is extremely sad, heart-breaking isn't t.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Hit me hard cause of her age and what I have been through recently.

It’s such a shit disease.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2609 on: September 14, 2021, 02:19:09 pm »
Got oncologist appointment tomorrow morning on the phone to move forward.

Developed a pretty nasty thing post op and had to go back in for a second op but seem to be on the mend.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2610 on: September 14, 2021, 02:27:30 pm »
Got oncologist appointment tomorrow morning on the phone to move forward.

Developed a pretty nasty thing post op and had to go back in for a second op but seem to be on the mend.

Get well soon mate
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2611 on: September 14, 2021, 02:29:00 pm »
All the best Nick, for tomorrow.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #2612 on: September 14, 2021, 02:58:29 pm »

That is good news, best of luck tomorrow Nick!
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2613 on: September 15, 2021, 11:16:37 am »
Had the call and over in Brighton tomorrow for another blood test to compare with one pre first op.

At this stage, he thinks it would be surveillance only and no preventative chemo given my age and size of tumour.

Annoyingly, he did say that a critical illness policy would still pay out in my case - I don’t have one as work have great sick pay for serious stuff but thought I would flag for others in case they don’t. It may not be that easy but worth mentioning especially for the self employed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:01:55 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: September 15, 2021, 12:27:29 pm »
Had the call and over in Brighton tomorrow for another blood test to compare with one pre first op.

At this stage, he thinks it would be surveillance only and no preventative chemo given my age and size of tumour.

Annoyingly, he did say that a critical illness policy would still pay out in my case - I don’t have one as work have great sick pay for serious stuff but thought I would flag for others in case they don’t. It may not be that easy but worth mentioning especially for the self employed.

Sounds promising that mate.

My work has just started a critical illness scheme so I've joined that, nearly 55 so you never know.

I can fully support why its worth taking out, when I was about 27 I signed up for one, paid in regularly then one day a few years down the line I decided it was a waste of time and jibbed it off. Year or so later I'm getting told I needed heart surgery and was off work for 2 years. I ended up £800 overdrawn, getting £50 a week off the govt as that was deemed enough to live on, until I was able to  claim motability/disability living allowance, which was a c*nt to get even though I was ultimately dying if I didn't have surgery.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2615 on: September 15, 2021, 12:34:30 pm »
Sounds promising that mate.

My work has just started a critical illness scheme so I've joined that, nearly 55 so you never know.

I can fully support why its worth taking out, when I was about 27 I signed up for one, paid in regularly then one day a few years down the line I decided it was a waste of time and jibbed it off. Year or so later I'm getting told I needed heart surgery and was off work for 2 years. I ended up £800 overdrawn, getting £50 a week off the govt as that was deemed enough to live on, until I was able to  claim motability/disability living allowance, which was a c*nt to get even though I was ultimately dying if I didn't have surgery.

Yeah - the benefits are certainly there but you can see why people jib it off if they can’t afford the monthly outgoing.

I have been lucky with this and my boss is amazing as not pressurising me to go back in.

I wouldn’t wish the last six weeks on anyone - mentally as draining as it is physically.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: September 15, 2021, 02:08:32 pm »
Yeah - the benefits are certainly there but you can see why people jib it off if they can’t afford the monthly outgoing.

I have been lucky with this and my boss is amazing as not pressurising me to go back in.

I wouldn’t wish the last six weeks on anyone - mentally as draining as it is physically.

You deserve a break mate, hope you can get a holiday sorted soon.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2617 on: September 15, 2021, 02:20:57 pm »
You deserve a break mate, hope you can get a holiday sorted soon.

Fingers crossed we can have a week off on 27th September - would stay local.

Maybe then look to get some sun at end of October.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2618 on: September 15, 2021, 02:31:32 pm »
Fingers crossed we can have a week off on 27th September - would stay local.

Maybe then look to get some sun at end of October.

A lodge/cabin with a hot tub is a great way to relax. We used to go to Ribblesdale Park nr Gisburn around those dates, as its our WA on the 22nd and our youngests birthday on the 26th. We'd chill in the tub, go for walks and go into Skipton for a meal/walk along the canal/visit the castle, really stress busting weekend that was. White Cross Bay in Windermere is great too, we went there in August and are going for Christmas.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2619 on: September 15, 2021, 05:22:24 pm »
A lodge/cabin with a hot tub is a great way to relax. We used to go to Ribblesdale Park nr Gisburn around those dates, as its our WA on the 22nd and our youngests birthday on the 26th. We'd chill in the tub, go for walks and go into Skipton for a meal/walk along the canal/visit the castle, really stress busting weekend that was. White Cross Bay in Windermere is great too, we went there in August and are going for Christmas.

Sounds perfect

Just need to keep on top of wound with nurses then it will be ok to get away once that heals

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2620 on: September 19, 2021, 05:15:52 pm »
Went to Brighton to meet the Oncologist on Thursday.

I have been advised that I should have one lot of preventative chemo now due to size of tumour (larger than they thought). It’s only advice and my choice but it reduces the chances of reoccurrence from 30% to 5%.

It’s obviously a lot to take in but numbers make it a no brainer in my opinion.

I need wound to fully heal from second op (seeing Nurse tomorrow) and have a kidney test then it’s all go.

Had a bit of a hard weekend mentally as kind of crashed after everything but will pick myself up to go again.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #2621 on: September 19, 2021, 05:38:17 pm »
Best Wishes Nick...a tough battle but you'll make it...enjoy the stuff you enjoy and take strength from that and the Redmem winning!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2622 on: September 19, 2021, 05:44:23 pm »
Best Wishes Nick...a tough battle but you'll make it...enjoy the stuff you enjoy and take strength from that and the Redmem winning!

Exactly right.

Slow process but will get through it.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: September 19, 2021, 09:35:09 pm »
but will pick myself up to go again.
Do that and focus on that Nick.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2624 on: September 19, 2021, 10:10:33 pm »
Had a bit of a hard weekend mentally as kind of crashed after everything but will pick myself up to go again.

Haven't been in this one for a while but the words and support here are worth a lot to a lot of people. Chopper the mad bastard helped me out a few years back more than he knows.
Nick, stay strong mate. Of course you will crash and you'll feel down and shit about it it's good to feel that way so you can hit the reset. But you know what, I'll bet when it comes down to it you have more in the tank than you think.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2625 on: September 20, 2021, 02:02:22 pm »
Haven't been in this one for a while but the words and support here are worth a lot to a lot of people. Chopper the mad bastard helped me out a few years back more than he knows.
Nick, stay strong mate. Of course you will crash and you'll feel down and shit about it it's good to feel that way so you can hit the reset. But you know what, I'll bet when it comes down to it you have more in the tank than you think.

Exactly.

Only natural to have the odd down day but got all appointments sorted this morning and booked in for 5th October all being well with the wound healing from second operation.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2626 on: September 20, 2021, 03:31:05 pm »
Exactly.

Only natural to have the odd down day but got all appointments sorted this morning and booked in for 5th October all being well with the wound healing from second operation.

Good that it's not too far in the distance mate, you probably weirdly feel a little better when you have a plan in place and dates. I'm shit at giving advice on most things like but if it's any use keeping active as possible (not that easy I know) and seeing the positive things in life fairly lift your spirits and fight when it comes to this bastard of a thing. And of course talking about it. Good on you

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2627 on: September 21, 2021, 02:51:02 pm »
Good that it's not too far in the distance mate, you probably weirdly feel a little better when you have a plan in place and dates. I'm shit at giving advice on most things like but if it's any use keeping active as possible (not that easy I know) and seeing the positive things in life fairly lift your spirits and fight when it comes to this bastard of a thing. And of course talking about it. Good on you

Good advice from where I am sitting.

Plan in place and should have the preventative chemo two weeks today at 2pm (all dependent on the wound healing).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2628 on: September 21, 2021, 10:18:11 pm »
Good advice from where I am sitting.

Plan in place and should have the preventative chemo two weeks today at 2pm (all dependent on the wound healing).

Wish you all the best Nick, you will come through this.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2629 on: September 22, 2021, 11:25:18 am »
Went to Brighton to meet the Oncologist on Thursday.

I have been advised that I should have one lot of preventative chemo now due to size of tumour (larger than they thought). It’s only advice and my choice but it reduces the chances of reoccurrence from 30% to 5%.

It’s obviously a lot to take in but numbers make it a no brainer in my opinion.

I need wound to fully heal from second op (seeing Nurse tomorrow) and have a kidney test then it’s all go.

Good luck with the chemo mate.

As for the crash, its to be expected. When I had my heart surgery I was all over the place and my then G/F asked the doctors why. He said to her, look what he's been through, he was thinking he was going to die and all of a sudden he's not and its normal. You'll had gone through similar I expect, the 'C' word always makes people think the worst. When they (wrongly) told my wife in 2019 she had ovarian cancer, our world fell apart to be restored 30 minutes later when they said she didn't and that bothered us for a few weeks later.

As slaphead said, be positive, stay active, find joy in watching the Redmen and look to the future and the many many more years to come.

Good Luck.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2630 on: October 7, 2021, 10:47:08 am »
Had the chemo on Tuesday.

Apart from not sleeping great over the last two nights, I feel alright on the whole. I was just a bit restless and got anti sickness drugs until tomorrow.

Nurses in the Centre were incredible people and eased my anxieties.

Basically, they advise to listen to your body but try and keep as much normality as possible without being silly.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2631 on: October 7, 2021, 01:55:24 pm »
Nice to hear that your chemo doesn't seem too rough on you. How many sessions do you need?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2632 on: October 7, 2021, 02:17:44 pm »
Nice to hear that your chemo doesn't seem too rough on you. How many sessions do you need?

It’s just one mate.

My options were monitoring only or one bag of carboplatin then monitoring. They only advise you.

This option reduces the reoccurrence from 30% to 5% so seemed a no brainer even though monitoring would catch any reoccurrence early but would probably mean longer treatment.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2633 on: October 7, 2021, 02:32:47 pm »
It’s just one mate.

My options were monitoring only or one bag of carboplatin then monitoring. They only advise you.

This option reduces the reoccurrence from 30% to 5% so seemed a no brainer even though monitoring would catch any reoccurrence early but would probably mean longer treatment.

That's good to hear. I'd have gone the exact same route as you, do anything to lessen the chances of getting a reoccurence.

Got that holiday sorted yet?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2634 on: October 7, 2021, 02:36:48 pm »
That's good to hear. I'd have gone the exact same route as you, do anything to lessen the chances of getting a reoccurence.

Got that holiday sorted yet?

Sevilla in December I think.

Allows this to flush through system and then a couple of weeks to get back to normal.

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2635 on: October 9, 2021, 11:14:19 am »
Fuck. Just off the phone to my mum, who's given me the news that a close family friend has terminal cancer. He's about 14 years or so older than me, and is more like a cousin than just a friend. He was who I wanted to be like when I was a kid - big Liverpool fan, played the guitar, rode a motorbike. He gave me a Liverpool mug (which I still have, over 50 years on!) as a Christening present, and passed on the love of LFC. I never did learn to play the guitar or ride a bike though!

I've not seen him for a couple of years now, due firstly to COVID and now because I moved to NZ earlier this year. No idea if I'll be able to see him again, or how long he's expected to have left - my mum hadn't asked that.

Fuck  :'(

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2636 on: October 13, 2021, 04:59:59 pm »
Bournemouth's David Brooks announced that he's been diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin Lymphoma

Only 24  :'(
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: October 13, 2021, 05:18:04 pm »
Bournemouth's David Brooks announced that he's been diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin Lymphoma

Only 24  :'(

Its actually not as bad as you might think, pretty high recovery/survival rate, something like 87%. My Mates lad has just been given the all clear from that, he's 21 and just finished his chemo, in the late 80's/90's I worked with a lad who'd had it twice, once when he was in his late teens and again at about 23/24 and bike racer Jamie Whitham has also had it twice,  in his 20's and again when he was 52, he's still riding and working on telly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2638 on: October 18, 2021, 05:37:27 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58955333 - Another young player with cancer. Hopefully, he has caught it early and be all ok.

2 weeks since my chemo tomorrow and feeling better each day - it is just the tiredness that is worse thing.

Returned to work today and doing reduced hours for this week.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2639 on: October 21, 2021, 09:41:46 pm »
Go pink for breast cancer awareness day tomorrow folks.