Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 79549 times)

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:11 pm »
What a muppet, I remember something similar happening to Death Note.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:00 pm »
I finished watching he whole set of Death Note the other day and I have to say it was a massive, massive let down for me. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and it never did. I honestly can't see the fuss over the series, I thought it was predictable, went at a pedestrian pace and had a criminal lack of anything shinigami after the first couple of disks. Maybe it's just one of those series's that I did click with, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I also watch Ponyo. Good film, but not great, beautiful as you'd expect, good story, but maybe a little too aimed at the younger generation for me. Still thought it was very enjoyable though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:24:35 pm by Red_Isle_Chap »
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:08 am »
Death Note is like the japanese Twilight. You've no idea why people like it so much... they just do. Fandom to the highest levels!

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2010, 02:06:55 am »
Really loved the 12 volumes I read of Death Note, thought it was really fresh when I picked up a copy in Liverpool library inbetween revising Shakespare.  Didn't realise it was popular till I wikipaedie'd it after finishing it.  Don't really like the idea of people bemoaning it, just because it has high levels of crazy fanatics.  I get the same feeling  from others when I buy the latest Pokémon game.  Though I do think the same towards people who read Harry Potter.

Oh yeah the Anime of Death Note was bollocks.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:02 am »
Concerning One Piece I honestly have no idea where that is or was, but at the moment everything is coming together finally

You talking about the anime or comic?

Concerning the anime,  I feel like it's horribly slow at the mo, checked the chapters and there only seem to be a few separating the anime from the comic.   I think they're stretching each show to 1 chapter per episode, whilst Naruto has like a 100 chapter buffer and has just begun a horrible filler.

I recently watched the Zanpakto filler of Bleach and whilst I thought it was good teenage entertainment, was blown away by the quality of the animation.  Comparing it to some main cannon episodes of Naruto (where saskue forms team Hebi) and the impel down arc in One piece, the animation is just atrocious.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:17:14 am by DanFromMars »

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2010, 09:50:33 am »
does Dragonball Z count? Though I loved Akira, thought that was awesome, was really into Dragonball when it was on Cartoon Network
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:49 am »
I also watch Ponyo. Good film, but not great, beautiful as you'd expect, good story, but maybe a little too aimed at the younger generation for me. Still thought it was very enjoyable though.
I know it's blasphemy to say this, but I'm starting to find Hayao Miyazaki's material a little too repetitive these days.

The animation, sound etc are fantastic, but the story telling just doesn't do it for me anymore, I welcome fantasy and maybe I'm guilty of looking at too much detail here, but the reactions of characters to events just do not add up.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2010, 11:41:54 am »
I finished watching he whole set of Death Note the other day and I have to say it was a massive, massive let down for me. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and it never did. I honestly can't see the fuss over the series, I thought it was predictable, went at a pedestrian pace and had a criminal lack of anything shinigami after the first couple of disks. Maybe it's just one of those series's that I did click with, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

deat note is clearly over rated, It went all down hill when L died. 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3750r 

Monster is better IMO and very under rate.  I haven't watched anime in ages though,  I'm more of a manga fan meself.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:46:52 pm by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:29 pm »
You talking about the anime or comic?

Definitely the manga! Anime is garnered too much towards the little kids. This whole Ace arc has been fantastic and has showed up the other two big series in Jump, Sasuke and Bleach.

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »
I know it's blasphemy to say this, but I'm starting to find Hayao Miyazaki's material a little too repetitive these days.

The animation, sound etc are fantastic, but the story telling just doesn't do it for me anymore, I welcome fantasy and maybe I'm guilty of looking at too much detail here, but the reactions of characters to events just do not add up.

Haven't seen Ponyo yet, but on the basis of advance word and Howl's Moving Castle that's not blasphemy. Howl was a great visual spectacle, but didn't have an engaging story or characters - just cause a filmmaker is using a fantasy setting, it doesn't make it a good idea to throw logical plotting and coherent character development to the wind. Especially in that kind of movie, aimed mainly at young people (we're not talking about David Lynch or some arthouse director here!) What else is supposed to hook the viewer into the fantasy world, if not the story and characters? How can we relate to them if things just seem to just unfold randomly and don't follow the 'rules' we expect a movie to adhere to? His storytelling powers may on the wane as he gets older, it wouldn't be unusual.

This is blasphemy though - I found My Neighbor Totoro boring. But everything else from Nausicaa through Spirited Away was ace.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:41:06 pm by Driver 8 »

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2010, 08:48:32 pm »
This is blasphemy though - I found My Neighbor Totoro boring.
Burn the witch. Burn him now!! :)

I don't agree with Howl's as I love that film and it makes sense to me. I think, at times, there's a bit too much expectation now, and a lot of it was caused by Spirited Away being so, so good. I do agree though that at times it is a bit repetative and yes, a little bit over the top fanciful, but I still enjoy them far more than any of the other drivel that's pumped out for 300 million or whatever as blockbusters in the west.

All that being said, i've just got Akira out on the blue ray to watch tonight. I'm in the need for a classic ;D
Gratitude

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »
Haven't seen Ponyo yet, but on the basis of advance word and Howl's Moving Castle that's not blasphemy. Howl was a great visual spectacle, but didn't have an engaging story or characters - just cause a filmmaker is using a fantasy setting, it doesn't make it a good idea to throw logical plotting and coherent character development to the wind. Especially in that kind of movie, aimed mainly at young people (we're not talking about David Lynch or some arthouse director here!) What else is supposed to hook the viewer into the fantasy world, if not the story and characters? How can we relate to them if things just seem to just unfold randomly and don't follow the 'rules' we expect a movie to adhere to? His storytelling powers may on the wane as he gets older, it wouldn't be unusual.
You sir, are spot on.

This is exactly my point with some of his work, it's just those little things I find myself asking, like in (Ponyo) "how on earth would a mother leave her 5 year old son alone in a house in the middle of a flood, with a little girl he'd just met and yet she has no interest in finding out where her parents are, or where she came from ?!"

....and it seems to happen over and over in his cartoons; people just go through the motions and no-one stops to say "hang on, doesn't anyone find what's going on a tad odd ?!!".

The young Sophie Hatter in Howl gets a curse put on her by the Witch of the Waste, and she just decides I'll go hitching a ride with Howl as their cleaning lady ....no-one asks erm, who are you ?!! how did you get in here, what are you doing here ? they just treat it with total indifference, meh, ok, so she confronts the Witch of the Waste later on, and yet the reaction is totally not what you'd expect if you know, someone had placed a curse on you  :rollseyes

It's just the little things like that. I know it's fantasy, and again the art, sound, setting, scenery is sometimes breath-taking, but for me these little irrational reactions of his characters are now really starting to get in the way of the story/plot for me, and in turn it's making me care less for the film, but just to treat it as a visual wonder and take it at no more than that, and that's a shame.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:23 am »
You sir, are spot on.

This is exactly my point with some of his work, it's just those little things I find myself asking, like in (Ponyo) "how on earth would a mother leave her 5 year old son alone in a house in the middle of a flood, with a little girl he'd just met and yet she has no interest in finding out where her parents are, or where she came from ?!"

....and it seems to happen over and over in his cartoons; people just go through the motions and no-one stops to say "hang on, doesn't anyone find what's going on a tad odd ?!!".

The young Sophie Hatter in Howl gets a curse put on her by the Witch of the Waste, and she just decides I'll go hitching a ride with Howl as their cleaning lady ....no-one asks erm, who are you ?!! how did you get in here, what are you doing here ? they just treat it with total indifference, meh, ok, so she confronts the Witch of the Waste later on, and yet the reaction is totally not what you'd expect if you know, someone had placed a curse on you  :rollseyes

It's just the little things like that. I know it's fantasy, and again the art, sound, setting, scenery is sometimes breath-taking, but for me these little irrational reactions of his characters are now really starting to get in the way of the story/plot for me, and in turn it's making me care less for the film, but just to treat it as a visual wonder and take it at no more than that, and that's a shame.
I do know what you mean TTK, there are some bits where I do sit there and think exactly the same. They do detract from the overall enjoyment of the story, no 2 ways about it and it's a shame. (and you're right about Sophie in Howls, despite the overall film making sense in my head)

But if i'd posted what you did there in the film thread, I'd be bombarded with posts along the lines of

"It's just a cartoon, sit there, switch off and just enjoy it" because that's what people do nowadays. I honestly think that the movie watching public in general have allowed themselves to talked down to a bit by anyone making films, like glaring plot holes and WTF moments, and Hayao Miyazaki is no different at times.
Gratitude

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 7, 2010, 02:23:07 pm »
For those following Eden of the East, gg subs have the first movie complete.

http://www.ggkthx.org/2010/03/27/eden-of-the-east-movie-1/

Currently downloading now 8)

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2010, 03:08:53 pm »
Definitely the manga! Anime is garnered too much towards the little kids. This whole Ace arc has been fantastic and has showed up the other two big series in Jump, Sasuke and Bleach.
I totally agree. The manga is on another level to the anime. Even without 4kids treatment of it, it is still nowhere near the manga. Which in my opinion its one of the best manga's ever. Up there with Akira, Dragon ball, Slam dunk etc. The whole thing is just incredibly original especially in a genre that is a walking cliche like shonen. Only thing that gets close to it this decade i would say are Urasawa's work.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2010, 04:38:36 am »
Can anyone recommend any good new series? There's such a massive saturation of anime out there that I trust pretty much nothing. 99% of it is amazingly predictable, it's really wonder that so many people are willing to watch the same shit over and over.

Is there anything really fresh worth watching? I'm thinking S1 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or S1 of Fullmetal Alchemist good. Anything less and it's a waste of time.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2010, 07:44:46 pm »
If you're willing to go back in time

- Macross
- Neon Evangelion Genesis
- Slam Dunk!
- Rurouni Kenshin

They're old but have far better writing than the generic stuff you get nowadays.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2010, 08:35:37 pm »
Anyone heard of 'Black Rock Shooter'? New OVA anime which is apparently going to be streamed on 24th July for free (not sure if it will be outside Japan). Don't know too much about but it looks pretty good:

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWSeSlH-Gdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzOrik5YJ8
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2010, 10:09:10 pm »
One Manga is closing down :((

Anyone know of a similar alternative for weekly translated manga goodness?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »
Depends on what you read. I use Mangastream as that tends to have the big 3 up on wednesday nights (as opposed to friday/saturday with OneManga).

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2010, 12:00:05 pm »
im into comedy anime recently, the best ones so far are:

Ouran High School Host Club - hilarious
Worlds Strongest Disciple Kenichi

cant find the anime called Ranma 1/2 anywhere to download, which is sad ;/
next on the list is Slam Dunk
but still my fav is Full Metal Alchemist
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:03:04 pm by cim-pim-param »
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

royhendo

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2010, 06:11:22 pm »
Just watched Steamboy (remake of Thunderpants). (Only jokin.)

Magnificent.

royhendo

« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2010, 06:11:51 pm »
Cheers to Hassinator for the recc.

Offline Myshkin

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »
Watched Pokémon and DBZ as a kid. I used to watch Naruto and Bleach a few years ago but slowly got bored with it. I've seen bits and pieces of different stuff but never really stuck with anything. I remember Claymore a few years ago that got off to a decent start but again I got a bit bored with it.

I'm slowly watching Welcome to the NHK which seems different. I'm liking that at the moment.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:31 am »
Just watched Steamboy (remake of Thunderpants). (Only jokin.)

Magnificent.
Steamboy is awsome Roy! :thumbup
Gratitude

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2010, 08:39:29 am »
currently watching Fairy Tail (amaaaaazing show) and Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto which is cool but kind of weird and transformations before battle reminds me of Sailor Moon which is not good lol

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »
I stopped watching Star Driver after the 4th ep, the everyplot just bored me to tears :'(

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
« Reply #147 on: February 2, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »
Death note is just great, i'm watching it a second time, Naruto is a great shout as well

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: February 3, 2011, 03:49:11 pm »
About to go through all 7 mini-films of kara no kyoukai. Afterwards thinking of starting star driver just to see what all the fuss is about (both good and bad).

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #149 on: February 4, 2011, 02:05:39 pm »
Anyone got any decent shout outs for anime, short series or films, really stopped watching anime all together and want to get back into it now I've run dry of things like Dexter.

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: February 4, 2011, 09:50:35 pm »
What type of thing are you looking for, action, mecha, drama?

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #151 on: February 4, 2011, 11:46:16 pm »
Well I loved Berserk and Death Note, Last Exile and Claymore.  Short complete series like that with lots of drama/action.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 6, 2011, 05:17:34 am »
Anyone got any decent shout outs for anime, short series or films, really stopped watching anime all together and want to get back into it now I've run dry of things like Dexter.
Battle Angel if you haven't already seen it, or read the comic. I've only seen the amime short series, and when I say short, it was only two episodes short for some mad reason. I downloaded the comic a while ago, but never got round to actually checking them out. Also, James Cameron is to direct the live action version of this sometime next year.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 6, 2011, 06:52:13 am »
Used to watch Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star when they were on Toonami, still watch Outlaw Star sometimes as it's an excellent series IMO.

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #154 on: February 6, 2011, 10:08:55 am »
Well I loved Berserk and Death Note, Last Exile and Claymore.  Short complete series like that with lots of drama/action.
FLCL? Its quite short but one of the greatest series ever imo. Hellsing is another good one, it has one 13ep series that is awesome. Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) also has two OVa's (which are like stand alone episodes or mini-series). These ones are mini-series. They are really good, they are called Samurai X: trust and betrayal, and samurai x: reflection.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2011, 07:21:36 am »
the beserk is my favourite anime to be honest well actually cowboy bebob, monster etc are my favs as well, but i read the berserk manga so the actually story line and character development is amazing.

anyone recommend a new anime?

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2011, 11:34:20 am »
Not seen anyone mention Teknoman.  Can watch the fill series starting from here on youtube aswell.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4DrqMYzdLg

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »
Haha fuckin hell just the other day I was trying to remember an anime, and it tense out to be technoman. Didn't that used to be on foxkids or something? Used to love comic home from school and staying up late watching technoman, cowboy bebop, Outlaw star etc good times

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »
Akira is out next weekend on BR, I've got it pre-ordered ;)

If you're after some new anime to watch, don't bother as the majority of it that comes out these days is shite. Best to go for something that came out at least 5 years ago.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2011, 01:08:42 pm »
Was there ever an anime series of akira? I have read a few volumes of akira and thought it was amazing. and I know there is a film, but I would love to watch a whole anime series of the storyline.

The problem I have is I have watched most of the decent anime that have come out, and I watched the ones people recommend but turn out to be shit.

I also accept recent anime has been fuckin shite, other than FMA brother hood and deathnote, has there been any stand outs the last few years?