Author Topic: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]  (Read 142161 times)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]
« Reply #80 on: September 8, 2018, 05:28:13 pm »
Think you're massively exaggerating a bit. That defeat under Kenny wasn't during the start of the season it was towards the end of the season, in March or April as far as I can remember. That was the last time we lost to them at Anfield, and that was 7 years ago.

Prior to their win at Wembley I believe it was 5 or 6 years since they beat us at their ''ground''

I can't recall any recent seasons where we started well and lost to them other than last year
18 September 2011   Tottenham Hotspur   4–0   Liverpool

^This one
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 8, 2018, 05:51:43 pm »
18 September 2011   Tottenham Hotspur   4–0   Liverpool

^This one

So how is that recent mate?  ;D That was seven years ago! And it wasn't exactly a good start to the season, we got 7 points out of 12 games prior to playing them.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #82 on: September 8, 2018, 05:55:50 pm »
So how is that recent mate?  ;D That was seven years ago! And it wasn't exactly a good start to the season, we got 7 points out of 12 games prior to playing them.

Nah start of that season we had two wins, a draw and a loss and then got beat 4-0 by them. But I think that had a lot to do with getting wid of the pwevious manager, who deserved more time quite fwankly.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #83 on: September 8, 2018, 06:02:28 pm »
Think you're massively exaggerating a bit. That defeat under Kenny wasn't during the start of the season it was towards the end of the season, in March or April as far as I can remember. That was the last time we lost to them at Anfield, and that was 7 years ago.

Prior to their win at Wembley I believe it was 5 or 6 years since they beat us at their ''ground''

I can't recall any recent seasons where we started well and lost to them other than last year

We didn't start well and lose to them. The defeat was a culmination of poor performances early in the season and plenty of draws (Coutinho saga had an impact as well). We did well to recover after this defeat. After the 1st 9 games (after the Spurs fixture), we had only 13 points in hand last season.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 8, 2018, 06:06:53 pm »
Nah start of that season we had two wins, a draw and a loss and then got beat 4-0 by them. But I think that had a lot to do with getting wid of the pwevious manager, who deserved more time quite fwankly.

Meant to say 7 points out of 12.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 8, 2018, 06:49:12 pm »
This thread should basically be locked with only the OP there to be read.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 9, 2018, 11:07:22 am »
Excellent op thanks
bollocks

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: September 9, 2018, 11:15:33 am »
Another early kick off away from home. Feels like we get more than others at this time, away from home.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 9, 2018, 11:19:23 am »
Another early kick off away from home.

Last one of those we had, we won it. Actually, make that the last two we had.

If we do, it's because we actually provide entertaining matches compared to the likes of United.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2018, 11:21:00 am by sms1986 »

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 9, 2018, 11:57:11 am »
God imagine if we win this to go 5/5. I'd make us favs for the title.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 9, 2018, 12:01:02 pm »

Easily, especially as City have already dropped points. I know it's early days but I don't see us losing many games this season, especially not as many as we lost last season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 9, 2018, 12:12:53 pm »
Easily, especially as City have already dropped points. I know it's early days but I don't see us losing many games this season, especially not as many as we lost last season.

We only lost what, 5 games last year? Losing games wasn't the issue, it was the 12 games we drew.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 9, 2018, 12:14:02 pm »
We only lost what, 5 games last year? Losing games wasn't the issue, it was the 12 games we drew.

We're also grinding out wins in games this season that we would have drawn last season, which helps.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 9, 2018, 12:44:13 pm »
I work every Saturday till 5pm so when the fixtures come out I have to try and work out which will be the early kick off in the hope I can book them off.

I have to spread them out too and because we were planning on being away from 29th Sept to 6th October I had to forego this one. 

Then last week we decided against the holiday (another story) and somehow the hairdressing Gods decided that all of my clients booked for the 15th rearranged their appointments so woohoo!  I'm going to get to watch it now [emoji847][emoji847]

Looking forward to watching us chalk up another 3 points and then seeing who else falls behind trying to keep up.

« Last Edit: September 9, 2018, 12:45:47 pm by reddebs »

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #94 on: September 9, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »

Lets get us through this next 10 games or so -- injuries, wobbly results, playing well and overcoming more adversity before we put the favorites label on us...  We are good.  We will be around, but not sure just yet that we are a runaway train.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 9, 2018, 01:26:06 pm »
Feels just like yesterday!

I think we lost the previous game to Fulham (who did the double over us), but that game was the one where it was clear we were going to struggle that season.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #96 on: September 9, 2018, 03:17:24 pm »
In some ways this is the most exciting game of the season so far, the first time where we are expected to raise our game to get a result. We will not win by staying in second gear, so the stars up front have to sparkle a bit more next week. I am also hoping for a start from the cube and Milner.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #97 on: September 9, 2018, 05:02:36 pm »
 :L
I work every Saturday till 5pm so when the fixtures come out I have to try and work out which will be the early kick off in the hope I can book them off.

I have to spread them out too and because we were planning on being away from 29th Sept to 6th October I had to forego this one. 

Then last week we decided against the holiday (another story) and somehow the hairdressing Gods decided that all of my clients booked for the 15th rearranged their appointments so woohoo!  I'm going to get to watch it now [emoji847][emoji847]

Looking forward to watching us chalk up another 3 points and then seeing who else falls behind trying to keep up.

Lucky you!! Saturday early K.Os are nightmares for me and the only games i cant watch as it's my busiest day in my barbers shop, even the 3pms I can catch the second half as we're out of there at 3.45.
Doesn't help that the other owner is a spurs fan either  >:(
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 9, 2018, 06:24:39 pm »
:LLucky you!! Saturday early K.Os are nightmares for me and the only games i cant watch as it's my busiest day in my barbers shop, even the 3pms I can catch the second half as we're out of there at 3.45.
Doesn't help that the other owner is a spurs fan either  >:(
I just about get home in time for the 5.30s and if I'm lucky enough to not be too busy I can at least check the scores occasionally for the 3pms but the 12.30s are the nightmare ones agreed.

My late nights are Wednesdays till 7 so could just about make it home for the Champions League 7.45 games but now some of them are going to be at 6!  Wtfs that all about.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 9, 2018, 06:28:19 pm »
Quality op that.. especially the rivalry or the lack of it..

As for the game.. we owe them one for last season..

Gini, Keita, Milner in midfield for me.. Henderson to come on for Milner in the second half..

I would go with Bobby for the first half and see how he feels.. Bring in Shakiri early in the second or at the start itself..

Back 5 remain the same for me..

Let's test these twats..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 9, 2018, 06:47:09 pm »
Excellent stuff E2K.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #101 on: September 9, 2018, 09:36:26 pm »
Lets get us through this next 10 games or so -- injuries, wobbly results, playing well and overcoming more adversity before we put the favorites label on us...  We are good.  We will be around, but not sure just yet that we are a runaway train.
Absolutely. Its been a great start but we've been unlucky with a cluster of very difficult fixtures in the lead up to Christmas which is always difficult anyway. For the next few months it might well be about just keeping within breathing distance, it would be a massive ask to get into a dominant position through that run. We'll need some luck with injuries too.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #102 on: September 9, 2018, 09:55:33 pm »
I want us to completely destroy them.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 9, 2018, 10:18:32 pm »

Man City got 100 points last season. Hypothetically, if we win the first five, and they lose the first five, and last season’s results are replicated thereafter, they will still win the title!

We’ve a long way to go before we can be considered title favourites, and we need to stay calm.

Yes, the team is good. Yes, we’ve been grinding out wins even when not at our best yet, which is obviously a good sign. In previous years you would imagine that one of two of the last three games would have seen points dropped, which is all good. But steady on, as Raheem once said to Brendan!

Let’s see how we look after the tough run we’ve got coming up. There’s a long, long way to go yet. I don’t look at Bookies odds and whatnot, but I’d have Man City as clear favourites, with us second favourites, but one or two other teams, like Spurs, closer to us as second favourites than we are to Man City as favourites.

One game at a time and all that. Beating Spurs at Wembley, after last season’s collapse, will be lovely.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative, A smile would crack your face.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2018, 12:39:50 am »
What an opening post that is. Great read.

I have a feeling we'll win this narrowly and put in another great defensive performance, something along the lines of 2-0 or 2-1 but look much closer to our best. Firmino looked sharp playing for Brazil, Mane has been fantastic and even Salah has been making defenders look like fools despite sort of a sluggish start. They'll be right up for it so I expect us to score a couple. And given how more rounded we look as a team - particularly in defense - I think we'll continue with our newly found solidity as well.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2018, 01:06:55 am »
Very eager to see what Klopp goes with in midfield and to see if we can play better than we have so far, the first big game of a very busy period. Proper test, hopefully we pass them all

Offline biscuitme

• cakeyou
  • Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2018, 02:45:18 am »
Fucking hell mate was trying to sneak on her for a quick read and you put in this monumental effort and here I'm set.

Applaud your thoroughness and point of view. Should be proud.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2018, 06:59:08 am »
Absolutely fantastic OP that was E2K.

I don’t see this game being our most difficult out of the other games we have lined up, given what Spurs are going through. That’s not to say it won’t be tough but they’re clearly a team whom are still finding their way after the WC. Clearly we are as a team are also not quite there yet but we’ve got a lot more options to switch things around.

Midfield 3 - I’d not be surprised if it was Milner and Keita for definite, and the last place being between Wijnaldum and Henderson. I don’t know much of hat Wijnaldum has done during this international break. Would be surprised if Fabinho started but if he does then it’ll be a test for him!

The front 3 in general - I wouldn’t be surprised if we started our usual 3, but there could be an argument that they need to be kept fresh and we have other quality players whom can slip in and do a job. We have to be careful now more than ever though as we are a bit more blessed with our squad but if we fail to utilise them then we could be creating a problem for ourselves.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:23 am »
Fantastic OP, with an unusual slant focusing on the "rivalry" between the two clubs. Was with my mate in London last week and all his spurs fan mates are practically rabid,  frothing at the mouth at our situation and the intense rivalry it's created.
Yeah, that's what I thought. There is no great rivalry. It's all in their minds. And to them it's real.
Like, fucking hateful stuff, anti-hillsborough, bin dipper bile. From people who are usually sensitive and caring in other spheres of life. Problem is, it forces a reaction. This in turn makes it look like the rivalry is from both sides which in turn justifies their lunacy.

Let's have a few more high profile matches that have something more in the balance than 3pts. Let them win a few things. Let them move into their toilet bowl of a stadium!
When that's done we can talk about possible rivalry. Until then it's a process of educating the ones that'll listen. And avoiding the planks that won't.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:55 am »
Fantastic OP E2K. Spent a nice cup of coffee reading through that and thoroughly enjoyed it. In particular the section about control, Henderson and Wijnaldum.

Over the past few years I have found this one of the hardest games to "call". Spurs are a well oiled machine and have some quality players. Rarely do they seem to play badly. It will take a huge effort to beat them away this weekend. The fact that it is the early Saturday kick off following yet more pointless internationals doesn`t help. That said, the same will apply to Spurs. The point E2K makes about Firmino and tiredness wasn`t one I had considered as he is always a player I expect to see start. That said, now you have put the idea in my head (thanks for that - he is in my fantasy side !) I can see the benefits of playing Sturridge.

I really don`t know what to expect. If I am honest my instinct is draw. Obviously I desperately want another win to keep this mini run turning into a longer sustained set of results and I think a lot will depend on the midfield E2K expertly references in terms of the different options.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:38 am »
Top post E2K! Hard to know what to expect here, internationals are a pain in the arse, we’ve not looked too great in our last game but hard to know if that was a bit of arrogance as it was too easy or early season rust / bad day. One things for sure, win one of these aways v Spurs or Chelsea and we are going to be in an amazing position with 4 difficult aways done. Win both and they may as well engrave our name already. Can’t wait.

Hope for good officials, we’ve been fucked over quite badly v these lately. We can already remember last season at home and the year before we had a shit offside call disallowing a goal for 2-0 to us then we drew 1-1.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2018, 11:32:46 am »
Absolutely fantastic OP that was E2K.

I don’t see this game being our most difficult out of the other games we have lined up, given what Spurs are going through. That’s not to say it won’t be tough but they’re clearly a team whom are still finding their way after the WC. Clearly we are as a team are also not quite there yet but we’ve got a lot more options to switch things around.

Midfield 3 - I’d not be surprised if it was Milner and Keita for definite, and the last place being between Wijnaldum and Henderson. I don’t know much of hat Wijnaldum has done during this international break. Would be surprised if Fabinho started but if he does then it’ll be a test for him!

The front 3 in general - I wouldn’t be surprised if we started our usual 3, but there could be an argument that they need to be kept fresh and we have other quality players whom can slip in and do a job. We have to be careful now more than ever though as we are a bit more blessed with our squad but if we fail to utilise them then we could be creating a problem for ourselves.

From what I've heard, Wijnaldum has been doing quite well in the internationals, although he only played 45 minutes in their first game.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2018, 11:35:13 am »
Dele Alli has picked up a minor muscle strain, I know some will assume it's fake or something, but it could keep him out of the game on Saturday or at least on the bench.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2018, 11:48:22 am »
Dele Alli has picked up a minor muscle strain, I know some will assume it's fake or something, but it could keep him out of the game on Saturday or at least on the bench.

;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2018, 11:50:51 am »
Totally awesome OP

Team wise I think our captain has to be man enough and responsible enough to admit he's well off the pace. Would like to see Keita, Gini and Jimmy Duracell back as a unit.
Shakiri has had good reviews playing for Switzerland this week playing as a 10, so if Bobby isn't up to it after his midweek exertions then maybe Shak could be tried there. On the other hand I hate the idea of no Bobby in the side.   :(
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »
Spurs can be dangerous. But if Lloris isn't back yet, we can nick it. Otherwise, I go for a 0-0.
Watford will go top as they will outmuscle and outplay Man Utd.
City may win by a lot - so we can conceivably finish the week end 3rd or 4th on the table, depending on how Chelsea do.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2018, 12:44:58 pm »
Spurs can be dangerous. But if Lloris isn't back yet, we can nick it. Otherwise, I go for a 0-0.
Watford will go top as they will outmuscle and outplay Man Utd.
City may win by a lot - so we can conceivably finish the week end 3rd or 4th on the table, depending on how Chelsea do.

They can be dangerous, but so can we.

At this point of the season, it doesn't matter where we are in the table, we just need to keep winning most of our matches and ensuring that most of the rest are draws.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:13 pm »
what an OP that was, great read, thank you!

get stuck in early and try and give ourselves some kind of cushion, may be a roller-coaster type of game but I think we have the form to edge it.
- all in my opinion of course -

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:56 pm »
what an OP that was, great read, thank you!

get stuck in early and try and give ourselves some kind of cushion, may be a roller-coaster type of game but I think we have the form to edge it.

Yeah I really would like to see us press them  and apply pressure from the get go and grab a goal early