Author Topic: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]  (Read 142204 times)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Re: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]
« Reply #40 on: September 7, 2018, 11:04:35 am »
I think we’re going to get thumped. 6-0 or so. Alison and Bobby doing huge travel. No one clicking yet. Et al swings and roudabouts
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 7, 2018, 11:10:45 am »
There were 2 instances last year when our Brazilian lads were traveling the same distance and played (flew in on thursday,played on Saturday) so it wouldnt be surprising if Bobby played.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2018, 12:53:13 pm »

**wanders in to the Match Preview for a sconce, reads 2 paragraphs, comes up for air, rolls a fag, makes a coffee and settles down to be regaled by one of the best reads I have had on RAWK (and thats saying something)

Thank you E2K for bring light to an otherwise dull football-less (of any consequence) weekend and not least for your use of the word bockety!! I haven't heard that in 40 years, brought a massive smile to my face..

Discussion points
— Which 3 should get the nod in midfield? Firmly with you on this.

— Given the quality of the opposition, is there any way that Fabinho features in the manager’s thinking for the first time this season? Off the bench for Naby to see out the game maybe?

— Should Bobby get a rest given his exertions with Brazil and with PSG to come on Tuesday? If so, will Sturridge take his opportunity to impress? I don't think Bobby plays, maybe start Shaquiri?

— Should anyone else be rested with PSG in mind? Or is it too early in the season to be giving players a breather?  No way, this game is too important..
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #43 on: September 7, 2018, 01:06:34 pm »
There were 2 instances last year when our Brazilian lads were traveling the same distance and played (flew in on thursday,played on Saturday) so it wouldnt be surprising if Bobby played.

I think that was later in the season though, plus we had fewer options then
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 7, 2018, 01:59:18 pm »
Just want to start by echoing the praise for the OP. RAWK's finest doing what he does. A pleasure to read at any time, but especially on this dull, dragging Friday morning.

Think it's too early to get into the meat of the selection discussion, but a word on the Firmino question. I'm not convinced that Klopp rests him. Think Bobby is robust, intelligent and important enough to the team for Klopp to take the risk and seem to remember this happening at least once or twice before. If this was a "Southampton" at home, or easier away, no doubt he plays Sturridge, but it's one of the best teams in the league, away. I'm not convinced that it's Sturridge that gets the nod if he does rotate Bobby anyway. I like the Shaqiri shouts that others have put forward, and think that's the more likely, but if he's gonna bring in an out and out striker I reckon it's Solanke that gets the shout. Think the lad is more robust, and fit/able to press with the same sort of intensity, if not intelligence, as Bobby.

Assuming there's no injuries, I fancy us to take some points from this. If we hit our peak, we'll win.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #45 on: September 7, 2018, 02:21:01 pm »
E2K,

This is just fantastic.  Your work deserves more than recognition here, but some compensation.  The time and energy you put into this is just a RAWK treasure, and the places you take us, a gift.

Thank you mate!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 7, 2018, 02:28:47 pm »
E2K,

This is just fantastic.  Your work deserves more than recognition here, but some compensation.  The time and energy you put into this is just a RAWK treasure, and the places you take us, a gift.

Thank you mate!

I echo this, well done  :)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #47 on: September 7, 2018, 03:08:48 pm »
Really have grown to hate spurs more so their players than the club , Kane and Ali just make my blood boil

2-3 away win

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »
Can't understate how lucky we are not to be playing the first game at the new stadium. They and their fans would have been extra pumped up. Gutted I can't visit their cheese room however.

Is it just a cheese room and not an authentic 17th century Cheddar cheese cellar?

Don't get much for a billion pound stadium do you?

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: September 7, 2018, 04:06:12 pm »
Probably needs a Keita to hurry them all over the pitch. So its Henderson (Milner) Keita Wijnaldum in the middle. Lovren must be back, he usually has Kane in his back pocket. Lets go Liverpool.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 7, 2018, 04:11:14 pm »
I'm sure most of you have seen this but if you haven't enjoy...

78/79 season, just after the world cup when the two Argentinian stars who had just won it came to Anfield to show us how to play real football....I'm not sure they even touched the ball too many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzKcNevWbO4
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #51 on: September 7, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »
IMO they are just as strong a team as we are from front to back and there is very, very little to choose between the 2 sides.

This will come down to a bit of good luck or a moment of class. Could be one nil either way.

We're due one at Wembley though..
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #52 on: September 7, 2018, 04:45:28 pm »

78/79 season, just after the world cup when the two Argentinian stars who had just won it came to Anfield to show us how to play real football....I'm not sure they even touched the ball too many times.

Thanks for that not watched that in years, bring back some great memories, what a team.
The last goal is just fantastic.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 7, 2018, 04:55:37 pm »

;D
Mentioned that game earlier in thread - great memories, glad I'm not only one who associates Spurs with that game.
What.....a......goal

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #54 on: September 7, 2018, 04:57:19 pm »
;D
Mentioned that game earlier in thread - great memories, glad I'm not only one who associates Spurs with that game.
What.....a......goal

What a magnificent selection of staches, bloody hipsters

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 7, 2018, 05:10:55 pm »
However, they did actually get relegated once during the time period quoted above, spending the 1977/78 season in the second tier.

Spurs did fall out of the top division some time in the 1970s but your general argument is sound.

Well bollocks, how did I miss that ;D Fuck ye Spurs :no
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 7, 2018, 05:15:41 pm »
;D
What.....a......goal

I remember we rushed out the Anny Road end back to the car so we could listen to the headline report on the BBC radio, Sports Focus.
it had a particularly stirring, militaristic theme tune and we had to listen to the blow by blow account of the game. Mind you at the time Spurs were just another team of southern softies.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #57 on: September 7, 2018, 05:59:17 pm »

We are Liverpool, Tra la la la la,
We are Liverpool, tra la la la la la,
We are Liverpool, tra la la la la,

The best football team in the world - yes we are!

Great OP. Spurs fans are just painfully desperate to have some sort of rivalry with us. Desperate for legitimacy?

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: September 7, 2018, 06:25:25 pm »
There's really not that much to hate about them is there. On the one hand they are a fairly insipid unremarkable club that you'd really hardly notice and on the other hand they are actually a well run club and not a billionaires plaything, I'm indifferent to them but would prefer to see them succeed than a few others

Rivalry? Hardly, it would be like having a rivalry with Alan Carr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 7, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
There's really not that much to hate about them is there. On the one hand they are a fairly insipid unremarkable club that you'd really hardly notice and on the other hand they are actually a well run club and not a billionaires plaything, I'm indifferent to them but would prefer to see them succeed than a few others

Rivalry? Hardly, it would be like having a rivalry with Alan Carr

In terms of how the club is run it is the standard to which Everton can only aspire.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #60 on: September 7, 2018, 09:40:43 pm »
Great OP!
We're not matchsharp yet, but Spurs are not even fit yet. They have players who can hurt us, but we have more- as well as a very good defense and a class goalie. I can see a 1-2, but I'll go for a 0-2. First 20 minutes is going to be crucial, but it will deliver a goal at least- whether it's us or them remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2018, 09:45:27 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 7, 2018, 10:10:45 pm »
Wow, what an OP (the first one I’ve copied and pasted to Notes so I could read it offline). Rawk is privileged to have E2K as a writer. It beats any preview in any of the papers.

I don’t care about the performance in this match, I just think a win would be so important given the fixture list coming up.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 7, 2018, 10:41:43 pm »
Excellent OP. Thank you for the time spent. Often I’ll skim over long posts online, as they don’t really hold my attention very well, and once you get the jist of what’s being said you sort of scroll through. But this was excellent. Well researched and well written. Thank you.

Midfield three:
Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita

I think Henderson misses out, for a few reasons. He will probably play for England, so Milner will be fresher. We lose a bit of control with Henderson when under the cosh, and there will at least be a decent sized spell in the game when Spurs will have the upper hand. Henderson hasn’t fully got up to speed yet, and Wijnaldum has done well as the 6, so the trio named is what I think Klopp will do.

Fabinho
I think if our Brazilian players had got the same treatment as their Man City counterparts, and been allowed to stay home, Fabinho would have got the nod and started. Since he will be flying back from America on Thursday, and since he hasn’t started yet, I think he will miss out on this one. Mind you, with the games coming thick and fast, and plenty of big matches too, it won’t be long before we see him start.

Bobby
I think he will be rested after the Brazil games and the travel, and my prediction is he won’t even make the subs bench for Spurs. (Alisson will play).

PSG
Bobby will be back for PSG. It’s not so much that he will be rested for the Spurs game though, more that he won’t be about to perform at his peak and do himself justice due to the international schedule. We will work with it and go with the flow, as we have a lot of games coming up thick and fast.

Henderson will be back for PSG too.

I think we will start with Shaqiri up front with Mane and Salah. In the bits we’ve seen of him so far he has looked like a man on a mission, eager to impress. That energy will help us at Spurs. Sturridge is fit, but I don’t really see him as a 90 minute sort of player these days. He would be better suited to coming on for the last 20 mins or so. He has the quality to make his mark even in a short time, and he could well come off the bench and score again.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2018, 10:44:07 pm by G Richards »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #63 on: September 8, 2018, 12:46:14 am »
Is it true the cheese room couldn't open because Harry Kane went around all the cases and got a touch on everything? The game probably would have been a cracker, but for that.

Awesome op, gonna need some serious football to match that for entertainment.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 8, 2018, 03:15:38 am »

That team was fantastic.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 8, 2018, 04:40:29 am »
Huge, huge game for us and them. A win would put as in a driving seat toward the upcoming tricky fixtures.
Believer

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
  • Rafa's Red And White Kop
« Reply #66 on: September 8, 2018, 07:36:28 am »
I remember the defeat to Spurs in 2008-09 season. It felt like it ended up costing the title. (Yes, I know it was those 12 draws)
But I've never let it go.
If we beat Spurs at their own place, for me I'll already be believing. It's one of those fixtures, very underrated in the level of difficulty it brings. A really good marker possibly for where we are.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Waiting for Gerrard is like waiting for Goku.
Only a few moments remaining until Goku arrives.
Next week:

Goku is almost there, can he stop the ginyu force?
Next week:

Goku is about to arrive, is he up to the challenge?

;)

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 8, 2018, 07:38:55 am »
A win would be a massive statement of intent. We are due to give someone a good humping. I’ve a feeling it could be Spurs.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 8, 2018, 08:22:19 am »
How annoying is this international break?

We've only just started the season, still haven't seen us at our best yet. We've had a whole summer of international football and this break condenses our fixture list that includes games against Spurs, Chelsea x2, PSG, Napoli, City. In addition, all of our players seem to have been called up and all of our players seem to be earmarked to play (inevitably getting injured in the process). City, the spawney pricks, have managed to get all of their players out of playing for their countries.

After been quite keen during the World Cup, I'm back to my usual International-hating self.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 8, 2018, 08:33:07 am »
Wonder if we make some tactical tweaks to this game? Spurs will play Eriksen and Alli narrow and look to crowd and press our midfield, which is something they struggle to deal with.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #70 on: September 8, 2018, 09:11:59 am »
Fabinho and Alisson played the full 90 mins with firmino playing 75 mins and scoring one

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 8, 2018, 09:39:15 am »
That's quite a remarkable post E2K mate, I hope people put time aside with a cuppa to read that. I doubt anything better will be written anywhere ahead of this game.
e.g. Ray Clemence,
It was a long time ago and I'll always recollect how mad it was. We were a club drenched in glory with the finest keeper in the land, next thing Ray - an idol -  was gone. Bonkers.

I think it's extremely poignant to reassess that grim defeat last year - thank you, as you say there were huge questions about everything associated with our back-line and keeper. At the time I literally shrugged the game off, most people knew there was a lot of rebuilding ahead.
Window by window Jurgen replaces a percentage of this team. Not a lot has changed, he always needed a spine its just that he'll have realised he needn't be so patient.
And that's precisely what Jurgen has done. And it's not over.
We now enter this next game as an ominous threat to Spurs, with our organisation and depth of quality significantly improved. I suspect our run will continue, with hopefully the reverse result.

Thanks again E2K, efforts like this really are appreciated. You're a fucking star mate.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 8, 2018, 09:46:12 am »
Fabinho and Alisson played the full 90 mins with firmino playing 75 mins and scoring one

Good for Fabinho and Firmino, hopefully we see Fabinho having his debut soon enough and Firmino scoring is never a bad thing.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #73 on: September 8, 2018, 09:47:36 am »
I think we’re going to get thumped. 6-0 or so. Alison and Bobby doing huge travel. No one clicking yet. Et al swings and roudabouts
7 hours from Washington DC back home.. probably quicker on a private jet ....  full beds etc..

Way way better than the 12 hour flight from Rio.  Not ideal, but could have be so much worse.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 8, 2018, 09:53:59 am »
7 hours from Washington DC back home.. probably quicker on a private jet ....  full beds etc..

Way way better than the 12 hour flight from Rio.  Not ideal, but could have be so much worse.

Had no idea they were in US for second match too. Happy days. Could get then home Wednesday night now which like you say, much better than Rio

Offline commando

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: September 8, 2018, 10:57:32 am »

I was talking to my nephews about that game, pre match against Brighton this season.  Saying how a a sunny Saturday afternoon KO often brings that game to mind. Although, if I’d have been asked what season that game was from I’d have said the season before.  They were great days. 

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #76 on: September 8, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
Excellent OP - as comprehensive a preview I've ever seen. I'm sure it took a long time but it was totally worth it... at least for the reader :)

As for the game itself - I'm worried this useless international break might hinder more than help us, considering a lot of our squad is playing in these matches so soon after the World Cup. I can only hope that, apart from poor Adam (whose injury, thankfully, doesn't seem to be that bad), none of our players get injured in this ridiculous break. And, hell, I'm a guy who actually enjoys international football and cares about the national team, but this one just seems absurd.

Anyway, I'd like to see Fabinho involved against Spurs but considering his travels with the Brazilian NT and the fact that he hasn't started a match for us yet, I'm afraid we will have to wait a bit longer before we see him on the pitch. So as for the midfield, I think I agree with most of you and will see Keita/Gini/Milner - or maybe I'd prefer that. Even if I'm a Hendo fan, he wasn't at his best against Leicester and we looked better after he was replaced by Keita (and Shaqiri replacing a tired Mo).

Considering Bobby is also involved with his NT, maybe Klopp will give him a short rest before our fixtures list gets incredibly congested and we need everyone available, so maybe Sturridge starts? I'd love to see Dan (and Shaqiri) playing more than just a couple of minutes at the end of a match, and a fit/injury free Sturridge is still one hell of a player, so maybe I'll be hopeful...

As for them,  they haven't been at their best and neither have we. It's gonna be a lot harder than it seems, for both of us, but if our front three (especially Sadio, who's having one hell of a start!) click, then I'm sure we'll give them far more than what they bargained for.

Let's twat these twats ;) :scarf

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #77 on: September 8, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »
Impetuous! Homeric!
A truly epic OP, I only wish football writers who do it as their day job could produce this level of depth and analysis.

Agree on the calls for Milner and Shaqiri starting for rested Hendo and Bobby.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 8, 2018, 05:12:21 pm »
We've had several starts to the season in reason years where a bad result again Spurs put us in a bad position, especially in Kenny's first full season back and last season. Despite the lost to Watford and the WC they seem quite a lot fresher than us. Lets hope we can sneak a win here as we work back to full fitness.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 8, 2018, 05:24:02 pm »
We've had several starts to the season in reason years where a bad result again Spurs put us in a bad position, especially in Kenny's first full season back and last season. Despite the lost to Watford and the WC they seem quite a lot fresher than us. Lets hope we can sneak a win here as we work back to full fitness.

Think you're massively exaggerating a bit. That defeat under Kenny wasn't during the start of the season it was towards the end of the season, in March or April as far as I can remember. That was the last time we lost to them at Anfield, and that was 7 years ago.

Prior to their win at Wembley I believe it was 5 or 6 years since they beat us at their ''ground''

I can't recall any recent seasons where we started well and lost to them other than last year