Author Topic: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]  (Read 142223 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2018, 12:47:33 pm »
Yeah I really would like to see us press them  and apply pressure from the get go and grab a goal early

Us scoring early would hurt their confidence, us scoring twice before half time will really deflate them. Hope Salah gets a first half hat trick.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »
Ooh I wonder if Dele Alli will be fit. 😏

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2018, 02:49:48 pm »
Ooh I wonder if Dele Alli will be fit. 😏

What’s he done, injured himself practicing celebrations from fortnite?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2018, 02:50:50 pm »
What’s he done, injured himself practicing celebrations from fortnite?

He has a slight muscle sprain, although the tin foil hat brigade think otherwise.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2018, 04:08:29 pm »
I’d like to see us take a lead into half time. Start fast, maybe even two goals, and then our defence can stand strong. If they come looking too much we can pick them off again.

A reverse of last season’s result would be fantastic, any win very good, a draw acceptable, a loss disappointing.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2018, 04:19:29 pm »
We have a decent number of our first XI returning early, while quite a few others that have gone on international duty should be rested on Wednesday and/or are in the UK. As far as midday kickoffs after an Inty break go, it could be an OK build up for the squad.

Might be a case of let Spurs overextend in the first 15 and look to capitalise on mistakes.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2018, 06:27:33 pm »
What an opening post. Best I've ever read on this site, by some margin.

First of many tough tests over the coming weeks - hard to not look at the upcoming fixtures and feel both a sense of excitement and nerves. Test after test for our squad and manager, who knows how we're going to look come late October.

There's a lot to admire about Spurs and their model of success in recent years. Pochettino is a great manager and they've got some excellent players who know his system inside and out. Glad that we aren't the opening fixture for their new stadium, had a feeling that was going to be a boost for them. They're a good side and we owe them for last season - both that first humiliating loss and the undeserved draw at Anfield. Prediction is a narrow 2-1 victory for us but would still be very much content with a draw, unless it's in similar circumstances to the one at Anfield in February.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2018, 06:57:16 pm »
If we get anywhere near our high levels for 30-45 minutes then these lot wont be able to live with us.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »
Are we done with international football for this break now, or is there still some more faffing left before all our players come back?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2018, 09:15:15 pm »
Are we done with international football for this break now, or is there still some more faffing left before all our players come back?

Scotland are currently playing at home against Albania, England play Switzerland tomorrow in Leicester, whilst Brazil play El Salvador in the US on Wednesday - so apart from the Brazilians we don't have a lot of travelling players left.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2018, 09:55:45 pm »
I just about get home in time for the 5.30s and if I'm lucky enough to not be too busy I can at least check the scores occasionally for the 3pms but the 12.30s are the nightmare ones agreed.

My late nights are Wednesdays till 7 so could just about make it home for the Champions League 7.45 games but now some of them are going to be at 6!  Wtfs that all about.

Those 6pms will be a nightmare as we work till 7 on Wednesdays too but as we're a barbers I stick on 5Live to keep up to date  :D
Customers keep saying we need a tv in the shop for match days but the majority would want spurs/west ham etc on.
Ears would be sliced off if we're on so not a good idea lol.
We've got to win Saturday or I'l be in for extreme banter for the next month.
Hopefully Kane is out by the looks of it.

Great OP btw.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:59:01 pm by pezzzer »
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2018, 10:03:52 pm »
Great time to play a big away game just after the internationals. Midday after the break against anyone is a potential banana skin so you might aswell play a top side away. Tottenhams high line should suit out front 3 aswell
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2018, 10:31:30 pm »
Like to think there’s a real determination to put in a performance after last years game at Wembley. We’ve obviously come along way, particularly defensively, since that game and already proven we’re better than that, but I can see those who played in last seasons game wanting to show that in this game especially.

Hopefully that should give us an extra edge and we can keep up the winning run as we begin a much harder set of games than we’ve faced so far. I’d settle for a scrappy win, but think we’re gonna win scoring 2 or 3.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2018, 10:49:21 pm »
I just want our midfield to stand up and be counted for 90 minutes. Felt that the spurs and Chelsea centre mids really schooled us last season, much more than city’s who we successfully disrupted and utds who were essentially bypassed by their own defenders launching the fucker at every opportunity.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what our team can do now the engine rooms are more evenly matched.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2018, 12:23:24 am »
Spurs performances this year haven't been all that great and it shows as Pochettino has been tinkering.  Much as we all like to think they have a settled squad and team the tactics Spurs have used for the first 4 games are way different than anything they've done before.  Essentially they're using two strikers with Kane and Moura being pared, somewhat of an old school little guy/big guy combo, while rotating between Dier and Dembele at the base of midfield in a super lopsided 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 where Trippier a lot of the time is solely responsible for the right hand side.  Trippier is not very good defensively.  A lot of this leaves open questions, does Poch see Lucas as a better striker than Kane?  Is Kane even really healthy?  Does moving Alli into midfield take away from what he does best?  Is Dembele basically washed up at this point?  Maybe Son's return will solve all of this.  I somewhat doubt it but it's a really interesting set of questions.

In my mind the worst case scenario should be a scoring draw.  Otherwise assuming Keita is starting then between him, Mane and Robertson we really should be able to get at them down our left side.  We should be able to keep them at bay defensively, they're nothing great going forward so far this year.  We should be able to win this one.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2018, 12:48:23 am »
12:30 Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool
Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
Fourth official: Kevin Friend
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2018, 04:39:42 am »
Spurs performances this year haven't been all that great and it shows as Pochettino has been tinkering.  Much as we all like to think they have a settled squad and team the tactics Spurs have used for the first 4 games are way different than anything they've done before.  Essentially they're using two strikers with Kane and Moura being pared, somewhat of an old school little guy/big guy combo, while rotating between Dier and Dembele at the base of midfield in a super lopsided 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 where Trippier a lot of the time is solely responsible for the right hand side.  Trippier is not very good defensively.  A lot of this leaves open questions, does Poch see Lucas as a better striker than Kane?  Is Kane even really healthy?  Does moving Alli into midfield take away from what he does best?  Is Dembele basically washed up at this point?  Maybe Son's return will solve all of this.  I somewhat doubt it but it's a really interesting set of questions.

In my mind the worst case scenario should be a scoring draw.  Otherwise assuming Keita is starting then between him, Mane and Robertson we really should be able to get at them down our left side.  We should be able to keep them at bay defensively, they're nothing great going forward so far this year.  We should be able to win this one.
I watched the Watford game and never even heard Kane's name. I thought he was injured! Southgate is saying he is resting him, something Poch is loathe to do.
I am paraphrasing Southgate here, from the Guardian.

Offline N_n_s

• Boys Pen
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2018, 07:35:48 am »
It's a bit of a nervous wait, really hoping all the boys come back fit and ready to fight.

I'd like to see us press at certian points in the game but I'm reluctant to have both FBs pushing up though as I'd like us to keep our backline strong. I think Gomez will be crucial in providing that pace needed to cover in case moura gets some open space.

I cant give a score prediction just yet but I anything other than a win will feel like a lose

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:39 am »
Given that Spurs barely bought anyone this year, they have a well gelled squad and everyone knows what is expected of them. That sort of cohesion only comes with time and the advantages of a well drilled side cannot be underestimated.  At the very least, I expect them to be defensively solid and structured. We will do well to get a win here, irrespective of form.

Phuk yoo

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2018, 08:23:59 am »
Given that Spurs barely bought anyone this year, they have a well gelled squad and everyone knows what is expected of them. That sort of cohesion only comes with time and the advantages of a well drilled side cannot be underestimated.  At the very least, I expect them to be defensively solid and structured. We will do well to get a win here, irrespective of form.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't beat them. We have improved our side on last season I'm confident we will raise our game and do what we have to. Also, Spurs not making signings could seriously bite them in the arse by the end of the season.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:26 am »

Arent both Lloris and Dele Alli out? That Will Also help us

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2018, 09:37:37 am »

Alli pulled out of the England squad with a MINOR strain.. Which i'm pretty sure will miraculously vanish on Saturday..
As for Lloris.. I don't mind him starting.. Hopefully he'll have a mare with everything going on at the moment..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2018, 09:46:43 am »
12:30 Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool
Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
Fourth official: Kevin Friend

Good stuff. Wish we could have him every game.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2018, 09:53:41 am »

Alli might be back for Saturday but he's currently out with a minor muscle strain.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:11 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-firmino-fabinho-alisson-hand-15135707 - great news for us if true!

Must have gotten the brown envelopes there in time or something. :P

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:03 am »
Imagine they'll go with a similar side/set up to the Watford game. It's their better defensive set up but keeps the midfield three who would be best playing quickly through our press like last year.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:56 am »
Can't wait for this game as it is for me the real measure of how far we have improved this season. We could not finish them in both of our games against them last season. So, to win this one will be a clear sign that we are in for real. It's also good to know that our African-continent players only played once for their respected country and they are ready to go this Saturday.
0-3 :)
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2018, 10:55:37 am »

Yeah, but i am not entirely sure if their absence is a negative for Spurs.
There is absolutely no reason why we can't beat them. We have improved our side on last season I'm confident we will raise our game and do what we have to. Also, Spurs not making signings could seriously bite them in the arse by the end of the season.

We'll definitely 'earn' our win, if we do beat them..
Phuk yoo

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2018, 11:10:07 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-firmino-fabinho-alisson-hand-15135707 - great news for us if true!

Must have gotten the brown envelopes there in time or something. :P

Better if they were sent home early if not going to be used as subs

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2018, 11:12:29 am »

True, although at least this way they aren't playing a game on Wednesday and again early on Saturday.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2018, 11:25:22 am »
True, although at least this way they aren't playing a game on Wednesday and again early on Saturday.

True enough.

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2018, 11:40:31 am »
Would love us to get something on Saturday.
Winning 4/4 is great and despite some people saying that we would have lost or drawn some of those games last year, the fact is we won them, so until we start to turn last years defeats and draws into wins we need to be a bit cautious.

What the first 4 games have shown us is that we've conceded even fewer chances, and when we've needed the keeper to make a save, he has done. 1 out of 4 clean sheets in those games last year against 3 out of 4 this year really gives me hope that we won't need to score 3 or 4 goals to secure the win this year. So many of our draws really should have been those 1 or 2 goal wins that league winners always manage.

The signs are good, it's just doing it now.
A pace goal from a throw in with a resolute defensive performance would do me fine.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2018, 12:14:49 pm »
A section of Tottenham fans have expressed their anger on Twitter after Son Heung-Min was selected to skipper South Korea in their friendly against China today. ;)

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2018, 12:28:09 pm »
Would love us to get something on Saturday.
Winning 4/4 is great and despite some people saying that we would have lost or drawn some of those games last year, the fact is we won them, so until we start to turn last years defeats and draws into wins we need to be a bit cautious.

What the first 4 games have shown us is that we've conceded even fewer chances, and when we've needed the keeper to make a save, he has done. 1 out of 4 clean sheets in those games last year against 3 out of 4 this year really gives me hope that we won't need to score 3 or 4 goals to secure the win this year. So many of our draws really should have been those 1 or 2 goal wins that league winners always manage.

The signs are good, it's just doing it now.
A pace goal from a throw in with a resolute defensive performance would do me fine.

A win with a dubious penalty in the final minute will do me.

Just kidding. Would prefer a 3-0 stroll.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2018, 12:44:33 pm »
A section of Tottenham fans have expressed their anger on Twitter after Son Heung-Min was selected to skipper South Korea in their friendly against China today. ;)

Can't see him starting, and if he does he is surely going to be fatigued. Son is boss, by far my favourite Spurs player.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:43 pm »
Good news about our Brazilian trio.

As I said earlier I would be content with a draw,as they are a tough side to beat, but a win would be massive for the next block of games.

I am really looking to see if our intensity is up and if we play better for longer periods.

Midfield will be key.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2018, 12:57:12 pm »
Can't see him starting, and if he does he is surely going to be fatigued. Son is boss, by far my favourite Spurs player.

Definitely up there with Firmino as a team player.

And I'm sure that Vorm has played well against us in the past so they probably won't miss Loris.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2018, 01:07:12 pm »

They’ll likely fly right back to England after the game right?  Looks like the game is being played at 9:30 local time so finished by 11:30.  On a flight home by 1AM?  Imagine they’ll be back in England by early afternoon on Wednesday.  Day off Wednesday, train Thursday and Friday and ready for the match.  Not ideal preparation but that’s what we deal with during international breaks. 

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2018, 01:15:13 pm »
Great player.
Would be perfect for us.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2018, 01:19:17 pm »
They’ll likely fly right back to England after the game right?  Looks like the game is being played at 9:30 local time so finished by 11:30.  On a flight home by 1AM?  Imagine they’ll be back in England by early afternoon on Wednesday.  Day off Wednesday, train Thursday and Friday and ready for the match.  Not ideal preparation but that’s what we deal with during international breaks. 

Thinking the same if we laid on private jet