Author Topic: Commuting to Salford/Manchester  (Read 21664 times)

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Commuting to Salford/Manchester
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:19:08 am »
I've been offered a job in the are (more specifically Trafford Park) and I'm exploring the option of a car share. If one can't be worked out, then the train isn't the worst option, but nearly £300 a month to travel on a fucking bus on wheels doesn't sit well with me.

Just exploring the potential of anyone working there, or near there, who'd be willing to do a car share. Happy to be generous with petrol money as well.

I live just off Everton Rd, but may be able to get to other parts of the city to get picked up.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Commuting to Salford/Manchester
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:34:33 am »
I've been offered a job in the are (more specifically Trafford Park) and I'm exploring the option of a car share. If one can't be worked out, then the train isn't the worst option, but nearly £300 a month to travel on a fucking bus on wheels doesn't sit well with me.

Just exploring the potential of anyone working there, or near there, who'd be willing to do a car share. Happy to be generous with petrol money as well.

I live just off Everton Rd, but may be able to get to other parts of the city to get picked up.
Are there other variants?

I'd also take into account the extra travel buddy. Adding 2 hours a day onto your travel, is 10 a week. It's time you're not being paid for and eats into your work/life balance. Setting off at 7am and getting back after 6pm doesn't leave much time for anything else during the week.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
I just couldn't be arsed doing that commute personally. As Titi says it's basically two hours every day spent commuting (best case scenario) which you aren't getting paid for.

When I've been looking for jobs in the past I've always been offered stuff in Manchester as there's just a lot more businesses based there in my industry and I've always said it would need to be silly money for me to even consider it.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:40 am »
I just couldn't be arsed doing that commute personally. As Titi says it's basically two hours every day spent commuting (best case scenario) which you aren't getting paid for.

When I've been looking for jobs in the past I've always been offered stuff in Manchester as there's just a lot more businesses based there in my industry and I've always said it would need to be silly money for me to even consider it.
25% higher would be the minimum I would even consider.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:54:39 am »
25% higher would be the minimum I would even consider.

Absolute minimum and even then I'm not sure the extra money would outweigh the absolute misery of seeing 10+ hours of my life every week go down the drain.

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:18:08 pm »
Agreed with the concerns so far!

It’s very good money, just over 40k, which at the age of 28 I can’t really knock at all, and in terms of career development it’s also a brilliant position - something which Liverpool is lacking. Got mates who do a similar journey, only they do it by train.

I know about the 10+ hoes a week, and it’s something I’m willing to do.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Perks of the job is it? Sounds more like Wall Street than Salford ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:55 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Perks of the job is it? Sounds more like Wall Street than Salford ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hahahahaha fuck that was meant to say hours! :lmao :lmao

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:25:36 pm »
Got mates who do a similar journey, only they do it by train.

Can you not all get together and do the trip by car?

For the amount you'd all be spending you could rent a decent apartment in Manchester together for cheaper!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 12:37:37 pm »

It’s very good money, just over 40k, which at the age of 28 I can’t really knock at all, and in terms of career development it’s also a brilliant position - something which Liverpool is lacking. Got mates who do a similar journey, only they do it by train.

Suppose it depends on your lifestyle as to whether it suits or not. I have a 15 month old daughter so commuting to Manchester just isn't something I'd consider at all right now as it would basically mean I wouldn't see her on week days.

I have a friend similar age to me but is single, lives in the city centre and recently left his job which was about a 5 minute walk from his door to start a new job in Manchester, purely because there was more money and future prospects.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 12:42:36 pm »
a fucking bus on wheels doesn't sit well with me.

10+ hoes a week, and it’s something I’m willing to do.

Ste you're a daft bastard ;D

Noone share a car with this guy, he will no doubt send you photos of him on the loo.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »
Suppose it depends on your lifestyle as to whether it suits or not.

He has no friends, or hobbies.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:45:31 pm »
Ste you're a daft bastard ;D

Noone share a car with this guy, he will no doubt send you photos of him on the loo.

*rails hahaha.

Okay the above may be true.

Suppose it depends on your lifestyle as to whether it suits or not. I have a 15 month old daughter so commuting to Manchester just isn't something I'd consider at all right now as it would basically mean I wouldn't see her on week days.

I have a friend similar age to me but is single, lives in the city centre and recently left his job which was about a 5 minute walk from his door to start a new job in Manchester, purely because there was more money and future prospects.

Yeah absolutely. Understand where you're coming from.

I'm in a similar position to your mate, only I moved from town to here about 4/5 months ago when I bought me house, on me own with no kids (that I know of). Still it's not exactly a long distance from Lime St, thankfully!

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:12 pm »
He has no friends, or hobbies.

Certainly -1 now ya c*nt

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 01:59:12 pm »
I'm commuting to Manc for work everyday. I use the train, since they've electrified the line it's a bit better, 45 minutes from Lime St and you can laugh at the traffic stood on the motorway.

However, the commute sucks the life out of you, especially being back an hour after everyone else at night. And the constant work on the railways this year doesn't make it any easier. Jobs are like gold dust in my sector though and at least I didn't have to move down south.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 02:04:51 pm »

I commuted from Southport to just off J10 of the M60 for 6 years, until I met a Manc and ended up marrying her and moving up here. Looking back I've no idea how I did the commute and I'd never do it again, its ok in Summer and a total nightmare from September until May, regularly 2 and a half hours to get into work and over an hour going home. Its gotten worse over the years as the City has got busier without the roads getting any better. The Tram Works extending the line to the Trafford Centre and the M60 works have only fucked it up more. My 5 mile commute from right by Old Trafford cricket ground to just over the M60 can take between 20 and 60 minutes, its running at 20 minutes most nights. The M60 used to be dead after 6pm, its fucked til 7 most nights now.

Where abouts in Trafford Park is the job?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »
I commuted from Southport to just off J10 of the M60 for 6 years, until I met a Manc and ended up marrying her and moving up here. Looking back I've no idea how I did the commute and I'd never do it again, its ok in Summer and a total nightmare from September until May, regularly 2 and a half hours to get into work and over an hour going home. Its gotten worse over the years as the City has got busier without the roads getting any better. The Tram Works extending the line to the Trafford Centre and the M60 works have only fucked it up more. My 5 mile commute from right by Old Trafford cricket ground to just over the M60 can take between 20 and 60 minutes, its running at 20 minutes most nights. The M60 used to be dead after 6pm, its fucked til 7 most nights now.

Where abouts in Trafford Park is the job?

Just off Third Avenue mate.

Not sure what the deal is with the American-style street names mind!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:26 pm »
Just off Third Avenue mate.

Not sure what the deal is with the American-style street names mind!

Yeah bit of an odd one that. I know that area well, an HGV agency I used to be registered with was on Third Avenue and my missus worked in a cafe on there as a teenager. I drive in along Village Way in the morning and back along Westinghouse Road of a night due to the One Way because of the Tram Works.

Whats the plan if you can't car share, train from Limey to Trafford Park station and then walk over the canal and down Fraser Place?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 02:43:00 pm »
I used to do this commute this time 2 years ago, would never ever go back and do it again. Come to think of it I have no idea how I lasted as long as I did. What kind of hours would you be doing? My shifts were 7:30-17:30 so it mean't waking up at 5am and getting home around 7pm. Really exhausting and made me very naggy and stressed. This was city centre too so walking to Lime St took 15 mins and Manchester job was in city centre too, again 10/15 min walk to the place from Picadilly. Perhaps if you found a car share it would be a lot easier but I can't imagine the traffic making the journey any quicker. I suppose if you are definitely up for it the only advice I have is Manchester Victoria used to have a train running 25 to every hour which only takes half hour, direct to Lime St no stops. With the works going on now it might not be running but if you do get the train may as well get that one.
Justice for the 97

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 03:05:51 pm »
I suppose if you are definitely up for it the only advice I have is....
Move to Manchester ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »
Without wanting to be 'that' knobhead, is moving not an option? And get yourself back to the motherland at weekends?

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 03:41:17 pm »
Yeah bit of an odd one that. I know that area well, an HGV agency I used to be registered with was on Third Avenue and my missus worked in a cafe on there as a teenager. I drive in along Village Way in the morning and back along Westinghouse Road of a night due to the One Way because of the Tram Works.

Whats the plan if you can't car share, train from Limey to Trafford Park station and then walk over the canal and down Fraser Place?

Yeah mate. That's what I was gonna do. About 15 mins which isn't too bad I suppose!

I used to do this commute this time 2 years ago, would never ever go back and do it again. Come to think of it I have no idea how I lasted as long as I did. What kind of hours would you be doing? My shifts were 7:30-17:30 so it mean't waking up at 5am and getting home around 7pm. Really exhausting and made me very naggy and stressed. This was city centre too so walking to Lime St took 15 mins and Manchester job was in city centre too, again 10/15 min walk to the place from Picadilly. Perhaps if you found a car share it would be a lot easier but I can't imagine the traffic making the journey any quicker. I suppose if you are definitely up for it the only advice I have is Manchester Victoria used to have a train running 25 to every hour which only takes half hour, direct to Lime St no stops. With the works going on now it might not be running but if you do get the train may as well get that one.

9 - 5 mate. Thankfully not the 7:30 start you were doing! That's heavy!

Without wanting to be 'that' knobhead, is moving not an option? And get yourself back to the motherland at weekends?

Haha! That would've certainly been an idea - only I bought a house around 5 months ago!  :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 03:45:12 pm »
What's the average commute for people in here then? I'm about an hour and ten minutes each way which is a bit of a ballache, especially when a few days a week I have to drop the kids at school so can't get in early.

Actually I don't mind the commute so much in the era of Podcasts and Spotify!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:47:00 pm by Chris Jericho Nick »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »
The direct train to Victoria is the TP to Newcastle. Takes about 35 minutes tho.

If you're going by train, the cheapest option is with a split ticket via Newton-le-Willows, but it limits the amount of trains you can get.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 03:49:07 pm »
Haha! That would've certainly been an idea - only I bought a house around 5 months ago!  :D

Ah, what a ballache :D No option to do something like rent out your place and get a flat in MCR?

I'd absolutely hate doing the train every day, and would do anything I could to avoid it!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 04:05:17 pm »
Yeah mate. That's what I was gonna do. About 15 mins which isn't too bad I suppose!

9 - 5 mate. Thankfully not the 7:30 start you were doing! That's heavy!

For those hours get the train. If you go by car, in the morning the queue starts at about J8 on the M62 and runs all the way to the M60, then you could spend another 10 minutes on the Parkway getting to the first roundabout and coming home you will be spending half an hour just getting to the M62.

I used to join the M62 from the M6 at about 8am and I'd get to our work at about 10 to 9 and I'd leave at half 5, 2 mins to the M60 and get onto the M62 at about 10 to 6.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »
What's the average commute for people in here then? I'm about an hour and ten minutes each way which is a bit of a ballache, especially when a few days a week I have to drop the kids at school so can't get in early.
If the kids are on their holidays the commute tends to be less than ten minutes, can probably double that in term time or if the weather's shite.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 04:33:01 pm »
The direct train to Victoria is the TP to Newcastle. Takes about 35 minutes tho.

If you're going by train, the cheapest option is with a split ticket via Newton-le-Willows, but it limits the amount of trains you can get.

He needs to go through the Trafford Park station though, as he needs to get off there and the walk to the place. If he goes into Victoria, he's got the hassle of getting back out to Trafford Park.

Mine went from 2 and a half hours to 5 minutes when I moved to Manc. Then the fuckers moved the office to Old Trafford, so even though its only about 4 miles it can take 15 to 20 minutes in the morning and the 20 to 30 to get home. If there is a crash on the M602 or M60 of a night, that can kill the roads and I can be looking at an hour. Last year there was one crash and it messed the roads up that bad, it was taking an hour to go half a mile.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »
Been doing same commute to Manchester and more recently Salford for the last 4 years. I live nearer the M62 than you and always leave at 630 usually in Salford Media City for 730 - depends how flexible the job is I always leave just before 4 and home for 5. Obviously you get the bad days 3 hours is the worst i've had and October to Jan is the worst - somehow gets a bit better after christmas not sure whether its people just used to the dark mornings.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:26 pm »
He needs to go through the Trafford Park station though, as he needs to get off there and the walk to the place. If he goes into Victoria, he's got the hassle of getting back out to Trafford Park.

Don't think any of the trains from Liverpool stop at Trafford Park - or if they do, its one of the really slow local stopping ones. Its likely quicker to get to Piccadilly and back out.

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 05:28:08 pm »
Don't think any of the trains from Liverpool stop at Trafford Park - or if they do, its one of the really slow local stopping ones. Its likely quicker to get to Piccadilly and back out.

Amazingly enough there's a direct one! Takes about 50 mins - but it's direct!.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 05:49:10 pm »
Amazingly enough there's a direct one! Takes about 50 mins - but it's direct!.
Ah ok, I'm using the other route so don't go past there. 50 minutes isn't bad, 45 minutes is normal from Lime St to Ocford Rd.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »
Unless your on flexi time I'd avoid driving. You'd have to be on the 62 before 7 to avoid Even a small queue. Driving to Manchester Monday to Friday would be soul destroying and take you a hell of a lot longer than the train. Cheaper but longer. Trains best part of 300 quid a month. Double edged sword. Worst commute I ever did. Lasted six months working in Manchester couldn't hack the commute despite the extra pay. I now work in Crewe. Commute is far quicker an hour door to door. On a bad day going to Manchester or coming back be it by train or car could be way over two hours one way.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:39 pm »

From my local station (Urmston) to Lime Street is only an hour on the stopper. The non stopper only goes to Oxford Road if I remember right. Trafford Park is two stops on from Urmston, so less than 5 minutes. The only bus from Piccadilly to Third Avenue is the X250 and that takes half an hour, so any time made up on the direct train is lost getting back out.

Unless your on flexi time I'd avoid driving. You'd have to be on the 62 before 7 to avoid Even a small queue. Driving to Manchester Monday to Friday would be soul destroying and take you a hell of a lot longer than the train. Cheaper but longer. Trains best part of 300 quid a month. Double edged sword. Worst commute I ever did. Lasted six months working in Manchester couldn't hack the commute despite the extra pay. I now work in Crewe. Commute is far quicker an hour door to door. On a bad day going to Manchester or coming back be it by train or car could be way over two hours one way.

If I didn't live up here now I'd have jacked my job and got one closer to Southport. It was a stop start queue from the M58/M6 junction all the way until the M62/M60 junction. It takes one lad an hour and a half to travel from Bacup to work, a lad who lives near Wigan changed his start time to 10 because it was taking an hour and a half to get in for 9 and another moved from Blackpool as he got sick of the traffic.

Anyone interested, put M16 in google maps any time after 4pm, click on the traffic icon on the side menu and look how many road are dark red.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 11:39:06 pm »
From my local station (Urmston) to Lime Street is only an hour on the stopper. The non stopper only goes to Oxford Road if I remember right. Trafford Park is two stops on from Urmston, so less than 5 minutes. The only bus from Piccadilly to Third Avenue is the X250 and that takes half an hour, so any time made up on the direct train is lost getting back out.

It's the local stopping one via Warrington that stops at Trafford Park. It goes to Oxford Road.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:14 am »
How much is a season ticket between Liverpool and Manchester out of interest? Could you not ask your new employer to subsidise it? To be on 40k at 28 is pretty good going, I’m sure there’s similar people on probably half your salary making the same commute.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:57 am »
It's the local stopping one via Warrington that stops at Trafford Park. It goes to Oxford Road.

I always get the destinations of the stopper and non stopper mixed up, its not like I've not seen them enough when sat in the pub at Urmston station  ;)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 07:47:21 am »
I despise the commute home and I only work in Liverpool city centre. Normally if I leave my desk at say 4.30pm, I dont walk into the house until 5.45pm - its that fooking 10/10A bus, its literally the Rocky Horror Show on wheels, traffic jams, piss-heads, smack heads and everything in between.

As for the OP, I would defo speak to your employer or HR people about getting a travel advance, we have them in here.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline AnfieldIron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:56 am »
How much is a season ticket between Liverpool and Manchester out of interest? Could you not ask your new employer to subsidise it? To be on 40k at 28 is pretty good going, I’m sure there’s similar people on probably half your salary making the same commute.

This is it. Great salary and the prospect of working with great, international brands in my field of work. May just have to stick it out!

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:33 am »

I do Wallasey to Northwich 5 days a week, M53-M56 mostly, takes about 50 mins usually. The 56 is a pain in the arse especially around 15-14 East bound and 11 - 12 West bound, this part especially on a Friday.

Not too bad I suppose as I'm on the road from about 6:40 and leave work at 3:20 so miss the worst of the traffic. If any thing goes wrong on the 56 though it can be a nightmare, especially the stretch between 12 and 14, no J13 so this is quite a long stretch to be stuck on.