Author Topic: Glen Johnson  (Read 11112 times)

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Glen Johnson
« Reply #40 on: April 2, 2018, 01:53:16 pm »
It explains a lot.
I really liked him as a player, he started well and then tailed off. He came across as someone who wasn't particularly bothered about football, more of a job than a passion, and I think to be consistent at the top of the game for a long period, it has to be all consuming.

I thought the same, a good player but not a consistent one.
Justice for the 96!

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: April 2, 2018, 10:31:27 pm »
Good luck to the lad

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 01:03:43 pm »
Announced his retirement today. Great player back in his day.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 06:51:59 pm »
Announced his retirement today. Great player back in his day.

Was never the same after that injury, but in his first few seasons with us he was excellent
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 07:25:02 pm »
All the best for the future Glo Jo :wave

Fascinating player- phenomenally talented but perhaps never quite got to fulfill that brilliance because his skill set didn’t quite match any positions in modern football. I remember Neil Atkinson describing him as (and I’m paraphrasing here) not quite excelling as a full back in the defensive third, not quite excelling as a fullback in the attacking third because his end product wasn’t top class, but in the middle third he was immense, the best full back around.

Shame for him, and us, that he didn’t join us a few years earlier. With all due respect to Finnan and Arbeloa, I think Johnson was a level above. Would have been great seeing how he would have got on in our peak Rafa teams.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:22 pm »
I thought Glen Johnson had his best time with us while Kenny was in charge. Never had the best of luck with injury but always seemed a decent lad.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »
Always like Glen and always spoken very well of us, seems a nice chap. Little bit like Robbie Fowler, although not as talented, in that he finishes his career with a lot of great moments and medals but could have been absolutely phenomenal without the injuries.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2019, 12:30:39 am »
Wonderful player on his day, couldn't help feeling like he never quite hit the heights he was capable of though

Loved the late goal and hilarious 'oh shit did i just do that' celebration against Chelsea

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 12:45:22 am »
and he's still a Red!

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:18 pm »
All the best. It's a shame he couldn't crown his time with us with the 2014 title, but he had some great games and scored some belters. He has won the league (2005), the FA Cup (2008) and the League Cup (2005, 2012) during his career, so he's surely made up regardless  ;) Sometimes he wasn't doing well going back, other times he did. Rather inconsistent but with a very high ceiling. I wish him all the best. 34-35 is a good age to retire when you've been playing top-level footie since 2002.

Signing him made me rather excited, it seemed like such a coup at the time. Sadly, it wasn't as good as we'd hoped, but he was a good and loyal servant for six years so he deserves a round of applause for that. Fine footballer.
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 02:26:09 pm »
Two amazing boots he had...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2_uyTIUOrps" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2_uyTIUOrps</a>
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:29:39 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »
Don't think we've had a better goalkick receiver since, used to win so many

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 4, 2019, 06:36:36 pm »
Do you reckon peak Glen Johnson would be in the team ahead of Trent?
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #53 on: February 4, 2019, 06:50:12 pm »

Yeah, comfortably.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 4, 2019, 07:22:57 pm »
Johnson had quite a bit of experience by the time he came to us so he's got that edge over TAA. He'd be great in our current team though.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #55 on: February 5, 2019, 05:36:14 pm »
Easily!

Don't know why people on here big up Trent so much! He's young and still quite raw. But definitely a bright prospect if he keeps on his present trajectory.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 5, 2019, 06:30:13 pm »
Easily!

Don't know why people on here big up Trent so much! He's young and still quite raw. But definitely a bright prospect if he keeps on his present trajectory.
Because he's 20, part of the top defence in the league and played a part in getting us to a Champions League final and top of the league. Theres not a defender in his age group who's done better.