Author Topic: Gerrard  (Read 134873 times)

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
Re: Gerrard
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2011, 09:54:06 pm »
Aquilani is not in the same league as Gerrard. In fact it is not even close.

One plays when he feels like it, one plays even when he doesn't feel like it and is not fit and still plays better.

Think you're going too far there.
Aquilani is a fantastic playmaker and if he had Gerrard's injury record over the past 6 or 7 years, we'd have been blessed to have him.
Don't get me wrong; Gerrard > Aquilani, but in terms of playing in and around a midfield/attacking midfield role Aquilani is no more than 2 leagues below Gerrard, probably the league below him. Aquilani is that good.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2011, 10:02:31 pm »
Think you're going too far there.
Aquilani is a fantastic playmaker and if he had Gerrard's injury record over the past 6 or 7 years, we'd have been blessed to have him.
Don't get me wrong; Gerrard > Aquilani, but in terms of playing in and around a midfield/attacking midfield role Aquilani is no more than 2 leagues below Gerrard, probably the league below him. Aquilani is that good.
Gerrard is one of the best players around. He has all of Aquilani's ability plus pace, stamina, strength, aerial power, a tackle......and so on and so on.

Aquilani is a good player in Italy where he always wanted to be but even then he is not in Gerrard's class.

It's all immaterial anyway, Alberto didn't really want to be here and when that is the case it will always impact upon performances.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »
Gerrard is one of the best players around. He has all of Aquilani's ability plus pace, stamina, strength, aerial power, a tackle......and so on and so on.

Aquilani is a good player in Italy where he always wanted to be but even then he is not in Gerrard's class.

It's all immaterial anyway, Alberto didn't really want to be here and when that is the case it will always impact upon performances.
Only the last sentence of that is true...
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2011, 11:08:45 pm »

I'd say it was all spot on.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:42 pm »

To me, only the last sentence is wrong..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »
I'd say it was all spot on.

Same here.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24:29 pm »
To me, only the last sentence is wrong..
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »
Really bemuses me that any Liverpool fan could seriously compare Gerrard, one of our greatest ever  players, with Aquilani, whose starts I doubt make double figures!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2011, 12:32:30 am »
Is it just me? But i have a bad feeling about Stevie's latest injury......he wont be the same again!  :'(
We need his Mk 2 fast!   
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2011, 12:33:19 am »
As a liverpool fan it bemuses me how you can seemingly judge a players quality on their appearances. Mascherano ring any bells? Maxi has barely played this season but there's no doubting his quality. Appearances in the grand scheme of things mean fuck all imo, Aquilani was & is a quality player. I have no doubt he'll show that consistently at Milan.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2011, 12:39:41 am »
Anyone who rates Aquilani above Gerrard can suck a dick. Gerrard was the best midfielder in the world a few years ago. Aquilani will never hit those heights as good as he is.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2011, 12:41:07 am »
Funny how people have forgotten just how good Gerrard is..or was (hopefully not the case).  Not too long ago we had the best striker in the world and even at Torres's height he was only thought of as our second best player.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2011, 01:10:18 am »
Funny how people have forgotten just how good Gerrard is..or was (hopefully not the case).  Not too long ago we had the best striker in the world and even at Torres's height he was only thought of as our second best player.
No one can honestly say how good Gerrard is anymore. Even he doesnt know. At his best he was one of if not the best midfielder in the world, and if he can be even half the player he was he will be a good asset. Lets hope there is still some magic in those boots, though it wont surprise me if there isnt.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2011, 01:11:38 am »
Anyone who rates Aquilani above Gerrard can suck a dick. Gerrard was the best midfielder in the world a few years ago. Aquilani will never hit those heights as good as he is.
I dont know if anyone is rating aquilani higher as such, but anyone saying he wouldnt be able to be an asset to us at the minute is a loon.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2011, 01:24:53 am »
I dont know if anyone is rating aquilani higher as such, but anyone saying he wouldnt be able to be an asset to us at the minute is a loon.

Kenny's a loon then.  ::)

I'm sick of people bringing Aquilani into threads and comparing him with our current midfielders. He's gone, get over it.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2011, 02:12:55 am »

So would about 40 other CMs who aren't Liverpool players so really who cares?!

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2011, 03:33:53 am »
I'm as big an Aquilani fan as you'll find but FUCK OFF comparing him to Gerrard. He is absolutely nowhere near Gerrard.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2011, 10:21:17 am »
Really bemuses me that any Liverpool fan could seriously compare Gerrard, one of our greatest ever  players, with Aquilani, whose starts I doubt make double figures!

No one did.

Someone was merely discussing what options we have through the middle, if Gerrard's injury is longer than we initially expected.
Just as others have said bring Shelvey back, give Henderson a run through the middle, others have said we still have Aquilani on the books and of the three mentioned here he is terms of footballing ability now, is the best option.

The only comparisons have been in recent fitness issues, and in the last couple of seasons Alberto has turned a corner.
The two players would complement each other in an XI, they are not the same sort of players, but while missing Gerrard, someone with Aquilani's guile may be helpful.

And considering he only had one season (and fit for half of it) it wouldn't be a surprise if he hadn't hit double figures.
But we didn't have to farm him out to Juventus in favour of Joe Cole, and I don't for the life of me know why we sent him to Milan considering the problems we have had with Gerrard for the last three years with form and fitness.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2011, 11:22:29 am »
I'm as big an Aquilani fan as you'll find but FUCK OFF comparing him to Gerrard. He is absolutely nowhere near Gerrard.

:wellin

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2011, 11:26:08 am »
One is the best midfielder of the last ten years, the other is Alberto.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:47 am »
One is the best midfielder of the last ten years, the other is Alberto.

No one said otherwise. At no stage did anyone say otherwise.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2011, 11:29:56 am »
Of course Gerrard is better than Aquilani but considering the recent injuries of Gerrard it wouldn´t be a bad thing at all to have Alberto here.

Obviously he wanted to play regular top level football in order to secure his place in the italian squad for the euros but again I don´t see this to be valid from the clubs point of view. We are no charity only, we are a football club and if we need him he has to stay. But this didn´t happen.

If Gerrard is injured, there are no options or competition for the Adam position here at the moment, same with Suarez and Lucas and this isn´t a good thing at all if you wanna do everything to make it 4th.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline JN Jonsson

• Considerably richer than yow... richer even than Southern Pansy
  • Kopite
  • Hub of the Internet-Terrorists.
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2011, 11:31:23 am »
Hums. Henderson and Shelvey could be considered for backups in the center when Gerrard is out? Oo
Gimme gimme jon, Gimme jonjoooohhh
(Britney Speares - Give me moore)

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2011, 11:35:24 am »
Of course Gerrard is better than Aquilani but considering the recent injuries of Gerrard it wouldn´t be a bad thing at all to have Alberto here.

Obviously he wanted to play regular top level football in order to secure his place in the italian squad for the euros but again I don´t see this to be valid from the clubs point of view. We are no charity only, we are a football club and if we need him he has to stay. But this didn´t happen.

If Gerrard is injured, there are no options or competition for the Adam position here at the moment, same with Suarez and Lucas and this isn´t a good thing at all if you wanna do everything to make it 4th.

Exactly, I thought it was an error to let both Aquilani and Meireles go in the window for percisely that reason, we need competition for places, we need people who can change a game, and for me we need to build a squad that assumes Gerrard's absence, such has the rate of his injuries over the last three years. Then we can cope when he is out, with plenty of quality and personnel and then have the bonus of competiton and his talents when he is fit.

His fitness is of huge concern. Anyone have somewhere I can look for appearance stats? I'd be intrested to see when he last started three games on the spin for us. I just hope we bolster the squad in January and that this injury issue can be sorted once and for all.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2011, 11:36:10 am »
Hums. Henderson and Shelvey could be considered for backups in the center when Gerrard is out? Oo

Both are not from the quality of Aquilani YET. We need the quality now, this year. Todays football, as painful as it might be, is all about CL and so it´s about now.

Offline PhlegmJehst

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2011, 11:37:26 am »
Aquilani and Gerrard comparisons are laughable, different planets.....

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2011, 11:37:41 am »
Aquilani and Gerrard comparisons are laughable, different planets.....

None have been made.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2011, 11:40:00 am »
Exactly, I thought it was an error to let both Aquilani and Meireles go in the window for percisely that reason, we need competition for places, we need people who can change a game, and for me we need to build a squad that assumes Gerrard's absence, such has the rate of his injuries over the last three years. Then we can cope when he is out, with plenty of quality and personnel and then have the bonus of competiton and his talents when he is fit.

I think the plans of Kenny and Comolli for this position included Meireles. But they underestimated that he wouldn´t accept being benched after making such a big impression last year.

Offline JN Jonsson

• Considerably richer than yow... richer even than Southern Pansy
  • Kopite
  • Hub of the Internet-Terrorists.
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2011, 11:41:43 am »
Both are not from the quality of Aquilani YET. We need the quality now, this year. Todays football, as painful as it might be, is all about CL and so it´s about now.

Can't agree. If Henderson was given a go in the central midfield i bet he would be as nifty as someone called TC from the north...
(Britney Speares - Give me moore)

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:01 am »
Can't agree. If Henderson was given a go in the central midfield i bet he would be as nifty as someone called TC from the north...

I think his error rate in center midfield is too high yet, not strong enough yet for this position at the moment, but he will be in the next years, I am very sure of. I really like Henderson, he will come very good.

Offline LFCYNWA

• Anny Roader
  • Professional Kloppite
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:25 am »
Errrr - Sorry to talk about the subjuect matter (not Aquilani) but
Anyone got any news on our captain . . .
Is the ankle infection healed, still healing or getting any worse ?
Has he been at melwood doing any light training or is it physio stuff and just resting the injury ??

Gutted he won't be playing against City not holding much hope for the next game against Chelsea,
perhaps an off the bench cameo at the next home game - QPR -10th Dec ??

In the King we trust . . .

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:38 am »
I think the plans of Kenny and Comolli for this position included Meireles. But they underestimated that he wouldn´t accept being benched after making such a big impression last year.

It was a disappointing departure Raul's.
You are probably right and if he'd have stuck around he'd have got plenty of games, he played so well alongside Maxi and Luis that I do feel he was a lot in spite of so many persisting the 'shithouse' tag he was a very capable footballer and effective in a red shirt.
I do think something has to be done in January regardless of where Gerrard's fitness is at.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2011, 11:46:06 am »
I think his error rate in center midfield is too high yet, not strong enough yet for this position at the moment, but he will be in the next years, I am very sure of. I really like Henderson, he will come very good.

Think he is a perfect substitute playing in front of Lucas and Adam at this stage in his Liverpool career but starting is probably a season or two, too soon.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2011, 11:48:09 am »
Think he is a perfect substitute playing in front of Lucas and Adam at this stage in his Liverpool career but starting is probably a season or two, too soon.

I do think something has to be done in January regardless of where Gerrard's fitness is at.

I agree, one top quality striker besides Suarez and one top quality creative midfielder to play behind them and we come very very good.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:01 am »
I agree, one top quality striker besides Suarez and one top quality creative midfielder to play behind them and we come very very good.

Indeed, and experience is key for me too, not Gerrard's age but someone around 26/27 who can have an instant impact.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2011, 12:12:34 pm »
It was a disappointing departure Raul's.
You are probably right and if he'd have stuck around he'd have got plenty of games, he played so well alongside Maxi and Luis that I do feel he was a lot in spite of so many persisting the 'shithouse' tag he was a very capable footballer and effective in a red shirt.
I don't think Meireles departure was anything to do with him being benched.

He clearly felt he was due a (non-contractual) pay rise and I think Kenny and Commolli have viewed him as a reasonably valuable asset, the wrong side of mid-20's who was non-essential.

We got a good year out of Raul and he did well for us, but getting 12-13m for him was good business. We have signed Adam and Henderson to play midfield and so there was an element of balancing out payments or hopefully keeping some powder dry for the next window.

I think both parties were happy with the move, he's got CL football and double his money (probably) and we have got decent money for one of our older assets.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2011, 12:16:21 pm »
He will only come good by playing.

Suddenly he will score a big goal (like the winner he could have had v ManU) or set up a winner and he will get some credit some support from the fans and a huge boost in confidence.

This lad is a good player. He will never be Stevie G but he will go a long way to filling the void in 2 or 3 years time, I am really confident he will be nailed in as a first team midfield player.

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »
Errrr - Sorry to talk about the subjuect matter (not Aquilani) but
Anyone got any news on our captain . . .
Is the ankle infection healed, still healing or getting any worse ?
Has he been at melwood doing any light training or is it physio stuff and just resting the injury ??

Gutted he won't be playing against City not holding much hope for the next game against Chelsea,
perhaps an off the bench cameo at the next home game - QPR -10th Dec ??

In the King we trust . . .

Progressing well according to Dalglish beyond that we dont know anything apart from he hasn't even started training yet unless he has behind closed doors. Someone on here seems to think it will be nearer the end of the year before we see him again which I have to say I agree with.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LFCYNWA

• Anny Roader
  • Professional Kloppite
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2011, 12:42:02 pm »
thanks for the update :-)

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »

I certainly wasn't comparing the two, don't get me wrong. Gerrard is the superior player, this is visible to anyone who watches football. It's just I feel Aquilani is a very good playmaker, underrated by many in Britain. He has great vision, technique and awareness of his surroundings.
Gerrard's game is more effective and I would certainly favour Steven, but isn't as fluid.
They would compliment eachother so much in a midfield with Lucas.