Author Topic: Danny Murphy  (Read 10166 times)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Danny Murphy
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:55:17 am »
I've just finished watching 'Every goal from LFC' series on YouTube (Stops at 03/04)

Murphy was seriously good wasn't he? Why did we let him go in '04? Probably had another season or 2 in him in the squad...

Such a shame he didn't get a Champions League medal!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Danny Murphy
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 10:00:18 am »
Yeah he comes across as a bitter bellend on the telly but I reached the same conclusion as you watching those highlights.  Very good player on his day, seemed to be involved in everything during that season.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:01:07 am »
I've just finished watching 'Every goal from LFC' series on YouTube (Stops at 03/04)

Murphy was seriously good wasn't he? Why did we let him go in '04? Probably had another season or 2 in him in the squad...

Such a shame he didn't get a Champions League medal!

I think you might be in a very, very small minority in thinking that!

He was good for a couple of seasons though.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:05:13 am »
I’m not sure he was ever very good. He certainly had his good games and some decent free kicks (I remember a lot more shite free kicks than good ones though).

Maybe on a highlights reel he looks better than he was.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 10:14:55 am »
My memory is hazy but I don’t think Rafa booted him out. I think he told him he wouldn’t be first choice and Murphy got a bit of a cob on and wanted to go.

Ultimately he would have been a useful squad option still as he was capable of some very good moments but Alonso was an upgrade. He could still have done a job out wide given we had to play Finnan and Warnock I’m more advanced roles at times but I think he wanted to play centrally.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:16:47 am »
I assume we let him go for similar reasons to Shelvey. He wasn't quite at the required level, nor consistent enough. He's certainly never let anyone forget it either.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:17:27 am »
He was on that Match Of Their Day a couple of weeks ago and said he was players of the season for us in 02/03. That was a terrible season on the whole so not sure if that was a reflection that the bigger players were collectively bad or just that he shone more in a worse team (which is why he then stood out at Charlton).

When he came through here I remember him being technical very decent and had a good brain on him but he probably lacked a bit of pace and physicality to make him really top level

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:26:39 am »
Ultimately there was always better options through the middle for us and he didn’t have the pace or skill to be an out and out winger. Done a job out wide in Houllier’s teams, as he always seemed to prefer playing two banks of central players, certainly it’s where the success came from under him.
AHA!

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:22 am »
He had some great moments but was never a great player. He had a really poor attitude as well, especially about 'foreign' managers. Says everything about him that he preferred to play for Hodgson at Fulham than fight for his place under Rafa. Rafa preferred Xabi Alonso to Murphy and you'd have to say Alonso is on a completely different level to Murphy.

Murphy is also on record saying that Hodgson was the perfect appointment for Liverpool because they needed an English manager.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 10:47:46 am »
Think he thought he was better than he actually was. If you're going to have "game raising" players in your squad then they need to be a couple of levels above where Murphy was.

Popcorn's Art

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 10:55:37 am »
I completely forgot he went to Charlton and Spurs before Fulham.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 10:58:51 am »
Think he thought he was better than he actually was. If you're going to have "game raising" players in your squad then they need to be a couple of levels above where Murphy was.

Yeah think he saw himself in the category of influential homegrown players, alongside Stevie, Carra and Owen.

I don’t remember the full games from back then but I’m pretty sure his all round game wasn’t great and he was always pretty slow too. Scored some screamers over a couple of seasons, maybe would have been a good player to keep around (like Heskey) and it would have been interesting to see how he developed under Rafa (like Heskey) but certainly don’t sit here wondering what if (like Heskey)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 11:13:25 am »
I assume we let him go for similar reasons to Shelvey. He wasn't quite at the required level, nor consistent enough. He's certainly never let anyone forget it either.
plus we needed the money to get other players like alonso and garcia who were much better

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 11:16:08 am »
He was OK and scored some decent free kicks, but really just an average premier league player.
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 11:23:08 am »
Watching clips of him and I think he'd have been more suited to as a 10 where he could link play and thread passes.   He wasn't the quickest but he moved the ball well and had a continental-style passing game.  Kind of like an average Deco.

He would never have made it here playing the same position Alonso did, just doesn't have the physical presence of Xabi.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:02 am »
Watching clips of him and I think he'd have been more suited to as a 10 where he could link play and thread passes.   He wasn't the quickest but he moved the ball well and had a continental-style passing game.  Kind of like an average Deco.

Present day Mata is probably an apt comparison if he was in that position.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 11:37:15 am »

He would never have made it here playing the same position Alonso did, just doesn't have the physical presence of Xabi.

When he first got some chances in the first team in 97/98 that’s where he played, just off Owen with (I guess) Ince and Redknapp) giving the platform behind him and probably McManaman and Leonhardsen (shudder) our wide.

Good call on Houllier earlier. In big games especially he loved four midfielders who could all play centrally. Think Murphy and Gearrd both started the UEFA Cup final out wide didn’t they?

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 11:37:35 am »
Was a clip of an interview with Linekar the other week where he said he had regrets and he regretted leaving Liverpool when they went onto win the champions league. Said he'd wished he's stayed and battled it out for a place in the team. I thought, fair play to admit that and I'll always think fondly about him because of his goals against United. Wish he wasn't a pundit though.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 11:45:42 am »
I always liked him as a player, thought he was very underrated. We got rid because it was back in the days when we needed to sell to buy. Selling Murphy meant we could sign Alonso. It was brilliant business by Rafa.

As a man and a pundit I think Murphy is an absolute tool.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »
When he first got some chances in the first team in 97/98 that’s where he played, just off Owen with (I guess) Ince and Redknapp) giving the platform behind him and probably McManaman and Leonhardsen (shudder) our wide.

Good call on Houllier earlier. In big games especially he loved four midfielders who could all play centrally. Think Murphy and Gearrd both started the UEFA Cup final out wide didn’t they?

I always think back to it as a bit of a 4-1-3-2 with Hamann in the deep role and - for a while - McAllister, Gerrard, and Murphy as a trio.  Smicer and - to a lesser extent - Berger as impact options, prior to the arrival of Diouf and Kewell who offered greater width.  Did Ged use Heskey on the left of midfield from time to time too?

Width always seemed an issue under Houllier.  Wasn't it a bit of a Kewell or Duff situation in 2003 - it was very exciting at the time.  A couple of years beforehand, it would have been interesting to see how we'd have got on had Babbel not being struck down by disease for 2001-02.  We'd signed Riise for that season and the two of them at full-back could have offered a different dimension to our play.  As it was, Carragher spent two years a fixture at full-back - first on the left opposite Babbel, and later on the right opposite Riise.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 01:11:20 pm »
He had some great moments but was never a great player. He had a really poor attitude as well, especially about 'foreign' managers. Says everything about him that he preferred to play for Hodgson at Fulham than fight for his place under Rafa. Rafa preferred Xabi Alonso to Murphy and you'd have to say Alonso is on a completely different level to Murphy.

Murphy is also on record saying that Hodgson was the perfect appointment for Liverpool because they needed an English manager.

I can't think of any thought process that leads to that conclusion that isn't heavily influenced by xenophobia.

Whenever we've needed a manager, I've always wanted the one that gives us the best chance of winning things, I've never thought about it in terms of nationality.

I know that the usual voices in the press that think they know what's best for us, were telling us Liverpool needed an English manager at the time, and maybe he was influenced by that, or by the fact that a Spaniard had the temerity to tell him that he wouldn't be first choice. Either way it's taken him an age to come to terms with leaving and what he missed out on.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 01:43:05 pm »
I always think back to it as a bit of a 4-1-3-2 with Hamann in the deep role and - for a while - McAllister, Gerrard, and Murphy as a trio.  Smicer and - to a lesser extent - Berger as impact options, prior to the arrival of Diouf and Kewell who offered greater width.  Did Ged use Heskey on the left of midfield from time to time too?

Width always seemed an issue under Houllier.  Wasn't it a bit of a Kewell or Duff situation in 2003 - it was very exciting at the time.  A couple of years beforehand, it would have been interesting to see how we'd have got on had Babbel not being struck down by disease for 2001-02.  We'd signed Riise for that season and the two of them at full-back could have offered a different dimension to our play.  As it was, Carragher spent two years a fixture at full-back - first on the left opposite Babbel, and later on the right opposite Riise.

I think Heskey did play wide left occasionally. Not often as a starter, more if we were throwing on an extra forward.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 01:54:16 pm »
I can't think of any thought process that leads to that conclusion that isn't heavily influenced by xenophobia.

Whenever we've needed a manager, I've always wanted the one that gives us the best chance of winning things, I've never thought about it in terms of nationality.

I know that the usual voices in the press that think they know what's best for us, were telling us Liverpool needed an English manager at the time, and maybe he was influenced by that, or by the fact that a Spaniard had the temerity to tell him that he wouldn't be first choice. Either way it's taken him an age to come to terms with leaving and what he missed out on.

"Liverpool need someone who has an understanding of the history and heritage that lies behind the club and what it means in the context of English football," he told the Daily Mirror. "People spoke about [José] Mourinho but I personally didn't see him as an ideal fit with Liverpool because right now, they need someone who has an empathy for the club.

"I admire Roy Hodgson. He has a philosophy of playing good football which will fit well at Liverpool, and he gives players responsibility and a platform to work from. Maybe it is time Liverpool had an English manager who knows about the club."

Murphy on Roy Hodgson taking over at Liverpool...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
Good grief.
"An empathy for the club" Hodgson really demonstrated that didn't he.

Hodgson's understanding of the club really helped him didn't it?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »
Murphy really is a fucking moron.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 04:18:29 pm »
"Liverpool need someone who has an understanding of the history and heritage that lies behind the club and what it means in the context of English football," he told the Daily Mirror. "People spoke about [José] Mourinho but I personally didn't see him as an ideal fit with Liverpool because right now, they need someone who has an empathy for the club.

"I admire Roy Hodgson. He has a philosophy of playing good football which will fit well at Liverpool, and he gives players responsibility and a platform to work from. Maybe it is time Liverpool had an English manager who knows about the club."

Murphy on Roy Hodgson taking over at Liverpool...
Yeah, I'm not buying that for a second.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 06:53:29 pm »
Whatever people think about Danny Murphy he is well regarded by Stevie G. Murfs commits about Hodgson and his suitability for the job at Anfield are just daft even before he took the job. Hodgson is a decent manager at a mid table club. He has done well at Palace and did a solid job at Fulham. No way is he a manager for a top tier club. How he got the Inter job is beyond me.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 07:00:50 pm »
Yeah think he saw himself in the category of influential homegrown players, alongside Stevie, Carra and Owen.

I don’t remember the full games from back then but I’m pretty sure his all round game wasn’t great and he was always pretty slow too. Scored some screamers over a couple of seasons, maybe would have been a good player to keep around (like Heskey) and it would have been interesting to see how he developed under Rafa (like Heskey) but certainly don’t sit here wondering what if (like Heskey)

Unlike Heskey he comes across as a bitter bellend. He had his moments - especially at Old Trafford - and like you've said, he would have been decent to have around but our team was better with Alonso in there that season and he didn't want to stay.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 07:04:15 pm »
Yeah, I'm not buying that for a second.

In what universe did Roy Hodgson know our club? :lmao

Popcorn's Art

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »
You got to remember Murphy knew Hodgson personally as he had a brilliant stint at Fulham, he captained them in the UEFA Cup Final, it's not like he backed a random English manager with zero connections to him.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 08:11:01 pm »
You got to remember Murphy knew Hodgson personally as he had a brilliant stint at Fulham, he captained them in the UEFA Cup Final, it's not like he backed a random English manager with zero connections to him.

Yeah that was Gerrard wanting Curbishley in 2004 wasn’t it?

*Legs it!

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 08:11:34 pm »
Yeah that was Gerrard wanting Curbishley in 2004 wasn’t it?

*Legs it!

Oh no!!! ;D

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2020, 10:45:27 am »

Knowing Hodgson personally just makes it worse. He had no excuse for not knowing that the Owl would be an appalling fit for Liverpool.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2020, 11:03:24 am »
Three touch Danny, I used to call him. One to control it, one to get it out from under his feet and one to play the pass.

Nevertheless I liked him. He was part of Geds team in the early 2000's that gave us our pride back and he was, and is, a genuine Red supporter as well (despite how he sometimes comes across).

Never destined for the very top, too slow physically at that level, but man, he weighed in with some important and memorable goals and he could spot a pass - even if his legs couldn't respond at the same pace as his brain. 

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2020, 11:34:01 am »
Bit of a twat really isn't he.

To be fair Carra also came out with the English bollox when Rafa left.

Hope they both enjoyed the shit that followed.
:D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53:21 pm »
He really has been unlikable ever since Rafa binned him off. Quick to criticize the club and very slow to praise it (if he actually does any praise).

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2020, 08:01:59 pm »
It’s a shame really but I guess you can’t expect all your ex players to be decent when they retire. There’s guys who would probably get into our worst ever XI (like Diao, Kvarme and Meijer) who have almost enchanted their reputations since retiring. And then absolute bellends like Murphy and Hamann who almost seem to delight in slagging they club off, who actually achieved a lot at the club.

Murphy has six winners medals from his time here and fuck all else in his career. If he hadn’t got that move to Crewe, he’d have just ended up at Fulham or Spurs a few years earlier and would have won fuck all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:03:57 pm by fucking appalled »

Offline Smellytrabs

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 10:54:16 am »

- even if his legs couldn't respond at the same pace as his brain. 

That was exactly my thoughts on him. In his head he could see everything and knew exactly what he needed to do, but his feet wouldn't always let him do it. As a player, he really did have a brain on him.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2020, 01:50:42 pm »
He really has been unlikable ever since Rafa binned him off. Quick to criticize the club and very slow to praise it (if he actually does any praise).

Had I not known any better, I would've thought he played for one of our rivals.

Having said that, does it matter what he thinks or does as far as we are concerned?

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2020, 03:59:46 pm »
Kevin De Bruyne is the best midfielder, probably, in the world, and he’s clapping his hands and giving a guard of honour to players who can’t even lace his boots.

Closely followed by...

Yesterday on talkSPORT discussing the concept of the guard of honour I used a poor choice of wording which I apologise for in relation to Liverpool midfield.

Just to clarify I have nothing but admiration and respect for all the LFC players and their incredible achievements over the last two years.

I would hate for a misplaced throwaway phrase which wasn’t thought through to imply anything otherwise.

I of course don’t always get it right when doing live TV and radio but will always hold my hands up and apologise when I don’t.

Just seems he's always been very bitter that he had to leave LFC.
You try me once you beg for more.