Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 585552 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3480 on: June 28, 2022, 02:22:09 pm »

It's really interesting this one. It felt like he peaked in the Autumn in a way with that Porto game, then got his eye injury, which set him back a little, then put in a ridiculous performance 2nd leg at The Emirates in the yellow strip, and then kind of faded again with competition for starting places and pressure for results... but this is a truly elite footballer who's 21 years old and is already 6 foot 1 and strong as an ox.

He's playing all across the pitch, and while some in the list from Fbref are playing in safer areas, he's posting top line retention numbers as well as massive penetration numbers, both through passing and carrying. (The stats to follow are from last summer - the Athletic's 'Expected Threat' metrics. The article was here but it's just a variant of other providers' metrics in the same space isn't it? https://theathletic.com/2751525/2021/08/06/introducing-expected-threat-or-xt-the-new-metric-on-the-block/ - the idea is counting the impact of in possession actions that add to the chances of your side scoring, in various subcategories. It doesn't count (but we know the club's model does) how off the ball work contributes to that... both in running while a team mate's in possession, and how they win the ball back... but that's a different question.

The profile is of a player who is top top class at progressing the build up (medium threat actions they tag them in the Athletic model), and cumulatively puts in a massive creative shift, up there with any other player in the league already (this was aged 20).

Overall contribution wise, the ranking for the league (in a year where we weren't really that great) goes: De Bruyne, Odegaard, Fernandes, Rodri, Thiago, Curtis.

Passes and carries in open play (2020/21)

Passing

Dribbling

'Medium threat' actions - high value linking of play in the build up

'High threat' actions - attacking play

Biggest overall contribution
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3481 on: June 28, 2022, 05:09:16 pm »

I think any reasonable fan would agree he has the tools to be one of the best attacking mids in the league. It's all the off-ball "midfield" stuff that is the question mark. There were times at the end of the season where Milner was coming off the bench before him and that's probably because Milner can be trusted to just take out a man if there is danger whereas Jones seemingly can't be trusted for that. If he doesn't grow that part of his game then I think his minutes will still be limited unless we start playing him in the attacking 3 as a rotation player.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3482 on: June 28, 2022, 05:13:16 pm »
Think that's it in a nutshell senor McCoy.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3483 on: June 28, 2022, 10:24:15 pm »
I think any reasonable fan would agree he has the tools to be one of the best attacking mids in the league. It's all the off-ball "midfield" stuff that is the question mark. There were times at the end of the season where Milner was coming off the bench before him and that's probably because Milner can be trusted to just take out a man if there is danger whereas Jones seemingly can't be trusted for that. If he doesn't grow that part of his game then I think his minutes will still be limited unless we start playing him in the attacking 3 as a rotation player.

Very few of our players seem to do this apart from Milner though. Go through our other CMs and think about the same scenario (opposition player running towards our goal) and how many take a man out to diffuse the situation. Fabinho does, outside of those 2 most of our players will chase and press but not commit the cynical foul. That isn't a Curtis Jones flaw, it's something our side dont do much of as a whole

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3484 on: June 28, 2022, 11:27:41 pm »
Well I suppose there's the Curtis Jones fella. But he came free and therefore lacks the charisma of someone - anyone - we might blow 50 million on. Plus Jones is such a commonplace name, don't you find?

Well, if only he was Brazilian and was called Curtisimo Jonesiana and had a youtube clip collection of him doing step overs, there'd be a posse on here clamouring for his £50m signing.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #3485 on: June 28, 2022, 11:38:27 pm »

Well, if only he was Brazilian and was called Curtisimo Jonesiana and had a youtube clip collection of him doing step overs, there'd be a posse on here clamouring for his £50m signing.

https://streamable.com/r1c75l

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #3486 on: June 28, 2022, 11:47:43 pm »

doing stuff that most players can’t. that’s why he’s got the potential to be world class.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #3487 on: June 28, 2022, 11:53:34 pm »

Nobody would be arguing for a £50m fee on the strength of last year’s highlights though. One PL goal and one assist (a nice little pass v Man C but it’s fair to say Mo still had a bit to do!)

He’s got bags of potential and still young but we’re kidding ourselves if we pretend his output was that of a £50m footballer last season.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3488 on: June 29, 2022, 01:03:07 am »
Nobody would be arguing for a £50m fee on the strength of last year’s highlights though. One PL goal and one assist (a nice little pass v Man C but it’s fair to say Mo still had a bit to do!)

He’s got bags of potential and still young but we’re kidding ourselves if we pretend his output was that of a £50m footballer last season.

I did not say he was, it's just that most clubs have fans that would rather spend £50m on something exotic than support local development, it often turns out just as good. Curtis is a squad player at the moment, he could go either way at 21, with Jurgen about I feel positive.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3489 on: June 29, 2022, 08:49:54 am »
Curtis has all the tools to be an excellent midfielder that's good enough to be a first choice for Liverpool, which for a local lad to be is incredible, given the competition and quality of our club.

Based on his diminishing minutes last season and the fact that he already has nearly 3 seasons of Klopp-team coaching under his belt, I'd genuinely advocate for a loan in the Premier League to a team that will give him 2,500+ minutes. It's what he needs to develop into the player we know he can be and it's what he may struggle to get next season with ourselves.

Brighton would be my choice but not sure he'd be a guaranteed pick there, so maybe Wolves as the main creator or Brentford if Eriksen leaves.

I think one season as first choice for a reasonable side in the league brings him back to us more fully formed. I absolutely know the club won't share this idea and will be keeping him.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3490 on: June 29, 2022, 09:14:38 am »
It's really interesting this one. It felt like he peaked in the Autumn in a way with that Porto game, then got his eye injury, which set him back a little, then put in a ridiculous performance 2nd leg at The Emirates in the yellow strip, and then kind of faded again with competition for starting places and pressure for results... but this is a truly elite footballer who's 21 years old and is already 6 foot 1 and strong as an ox.

He's playing all across the pitch, and while some in the list from Fbref are playing in safer areas, he's posting top line retention numbers as well as massive penetration numbers, both through passing and carrying. (The stats to follow are from last summer - the Athletic's 'Expected Threat' metrics. The article was here but it's just a variant of other providers' metrics in the same space isn't it? https://theathletic.com/2751525/2021/08/06/introducing-expected-threat-or-xt-the-new-metric-on-the-block/ - the idea is counting the impact of in possession actions that add to the chances of your side scoring, in various subcategories. It doesn't count (but we know the club's model does) how off the ball work contributes to that... both in running while a team mate's in possession, and how they win the ball back... but that's a different question.

The profile is of a player who is top top class at progressing the build up (medium threat actions they tag them in the Athletic model), and cumulatively puts in a massive creative shift, up there with any other player in the league already (this was aged 20).

Overall contribution wise, the ranking for the league (in a year where we weren't really that great) goes: De Bruyne, Odegaard, Fernandes, Rodri, Thiago, Curtis.

Passes and carries in open play (2020/21)

Passing

Dribbling

'Medium threat' actions - high value linking of play in the build up

'High threat' actions - attacking play

Biggest overall contribution

We should sign Grealish.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3491 on: June 29, 2022, 02:18:12 pm »
all this talk about loaning out Jones ..... Christ on a  bike.

the lad is a very very good midfielder, but ppl want him to eff off to another club for a year (which as we all know often becomes forever) while moaning that we're not signing midfielder X who has poorer stats but well, y'know, he has a sexy-sounding name or something?

fukking hell some ppl are stupid.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3492 on: June 29, 2022, 09:08:09 pm »
Very few of our players seem to do this apart from Milner though. Go through our other CMs and think about the same scenario (opposition player running towards our goal) and how many take a man out to diffuse the situation. Fabinho does, outside of those 2 most of our players will chase and press but not commit the cynical foul. That isn't a Curtis Jones flaw, it's something our side dont do much of as a whole

Thiago doesn't commit cynical fouls? Hendo can though as he ages it's becoming less and less prevalent but to say he won't put in a leg is obviously wrong. Keita also wins the ball. So yes it is a flaw insomuch as you expect your midfielder to win the ball or foul when needed.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3493 on: June 29, 2022, 09:48:45 pm »
Thiago doesn't commit cynical fouls? Hendo can though as he ages it's becoming less and less prevalent but to say he won't put in a leg is obviously wrong. Keita also wins the ball. So yes it is a flaw insomuch as you expect your midfielder to win the ball or foul when needed.

You mentioned taking out a man, that isn’t winning the ball so I never mentioned Keita.

Jones actually presses and wins the ball pretty well, talking about taking out an opposition player is a different thing altogether IMO and again, very few of our players do it, as a team we dont do it much (and its been mentioned a lot on here) so it seemed quite a harsh criticism to single out Jones for that as if its a vital trait our midfield possess, i’d understand if he was a City player as they all do it a lot. We don’t win the fair play so much for no reason, we’re not a very snide team in the cynical fouls way

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #3494 on: June 29, 2022, 09:58:52 pm »

Haha good post well made whoever spotted that and put that togerher
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3495 on: June 29, 2022, 10:00:12 pm »
Considering Klopp has criticised teams who make ‘tactical fouls’ and said he doesn’t encourage his players to do it, it seems odd that someone would criticise Jones for not doing it.

Milner is at an age now where he’s not so much making tactical fouls but is just half a second too slow.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3496 on: June 29, 2022, 10:06:00 pm »
Considering Klopp has criticised teams who make ‘tactical fouls’ and said he doesn’t encourage his players to do it, it seems odd that someone would criticise Jones for not doing it.

Milner is at an age now where he’s not so much making tactical fouls but is just half a second too slow.
nah, he plays the "sorry ref, I'm getting too old for this shit" card .... and smirks as he runs off.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3497 on: June 29, 2022, 10:43:16 pm »
You mentioned taking out a man, that isn’t winning the ball so I never mentioned Keita.

Jones actually presses and wins the ball pretty well, talking about taking out an opposition player is a different thing altogether IMO and again, very few of our players do it, as a team we dont do it much (and its been mentioned a lot on here) so it seemed quite a harsh criticism to single out Jones for that as if its a vital trait our midfield possess, i’d understand if he was a City player as they all do it a lot. We don’t win the fair play so much for no reason, we’re not a very snide team in the cynical fouls way

No, he doesn't win the ball and that's the whole concern. If he did win the ball then he probably would have played more which is what Roy and I were agreeing on.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3498 on: June 29, 2022, 11:00:52 pm »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3499 on: June 30, 2022, 01:31:29 am »
No, he doesn't win the ball and that's the whole concern. If he did win the ball then he probably would have played more which is what Roy and I were agreeing on.
He wins 54% of his ground duels and one of the best at pressing on the team. Henderson won 46% of his ground duels last season. Fabinho at 45%. Thiago 52% and Naby at 56%.
Also this from AI under pressure https://twitter.com/AIUnderPressure/status/1537373288145600512
Explain how he doesnt do well enough defensively?

He didnt play as much last season because of the eye injury/covid took him out for a big part of the season.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3500 on: June 30, 2022, 03:17:08 am »

Massive talent is there for sure. I hope his mentality is as good as his talent.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3501 on: June 30, 2022, 10:17:18 am »
There seems to be a mismatch between how good Jones is when he plays, and how much he actually gets on the pitch for us. It's been the same with Naby in the past. Why is that?

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3502 on: June 30, 2022, 11:17:28 am »

Jurgen Klopp affords minutes in MIDFIELD to a player who doesn’t win the ball in one of the best squads he’s had in his entire managerial career. From the eye test what you’re saying is not true at all but i’m more than happy to be proven wrong with actual statistics supporting your claims he DOES NOT win the ball. He has his flaws and could be more decisive in an attacking sense but defensively he presses well and wins the ball well too. He’s a young player learning in an incredibly well drilled side, much more experienced players would struggle in our side especially in a season interrupted by multiple injuries but he’s doing well and will continue to improve

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3503 on: June 30, 2022, 03:06:58 pm »
He's a young player who's superb. Ahead of him are a few players who are about as good a fit as you can get on and off the ball, and positionally/tactically too, not just in terms of possession recoveries and related numbers. Jones has shown he can do it several times - that Porto game is the big standout for me - he's just not the starter and the reason why is because the three starters manage our balance via their positioning. It's a question of trust and experience - Jones will gain that I think, and when he does it'll be hard to displace him because he seems pretty resilient physically.

Why does there have to be a drama about it, can I ask?

(The numbers are indicators - they're not the whole story and they're not the whole context.)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3504 on: June 30, 2022, 03:11:05 pm »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3505 on: June 30, 2022, 04:04:39 pm »
He's a young player who's superb. Ahead of him are a few players who are about as good a fit as you can get on and off the ball, and positionally/tactically too, not just in terms of possession recoveries and related numbers. Jones has shown he can do it several times - that Porto game is the big standout for me - he's just not the starter and the reason why is because the three starters manage our balance via their positioning. It's a question of trust and experience - Jones will gain that I think, and when he does it'll be hard to displace him because he seems pretty resilient physically.

Why does there have to be a drama about it, can I ask?

(The numbers are indicators - they're not the whole story and they're not the whole context.)

That is it for me Roy.

The only other thing I would add, is that in terms of the required discipline and tactical awareness. Then playing at either centre back or in the midfield three for a Klopp side is about as difficult as it gets.

We play the game on a razors edge, with the two centre backs and three mids needing to make a ridiculous number of split second decisions. For us to function at a level at which we can compete with City. Then that decision-making needs to be almost flawless. That is the challenge for the likes of Jones.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3506 on: June 30, 2022, 10:58:10 pm »
He wins 54% of his ground duels and one of the best at pressing on the team. Henderson won 46% of his ground duels last season. Fabinho at 45%. Thiago 52% and Naby at 56%.
Also this from AI under pressure https://twitter.com/AIUnderPressure/status/1537373288145600512
Explain how he doesnt do well enough defensively?

He didnt play as much last season because of the eye injury/covid took him out for a big part of the season.

We can't talk realistically about our own players without sounding overly negative. I had a whole response written but it just comes off as being a jackass. He attempts 1 tackle a game, what is 54% of 0? It's still zero.

Anyway, I hope Curtis becomes the player we all want him to become. Guess we'll see.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3507 on: July 1, 2022, 08:55:36 am »
I think there’s a bit of uncertainty over what kind of midfielder we want him to be. When he broke through he seemed like a 10, but over the last couple of seasons has been more of box-to-box midfielder, like Henderson/Milner/Gini/Keita. Have to say, I prefer him in that role. He has all the tools to be a complete midfielder, and with Carvalho and Elliott we have two very promising number 10s already.

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3508 on: July 10, 2022, 07:17:38 pm »
super baller, what we have seen is a probing attacking player, has to deliver the final pass or shot more often.

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #3509 on: July 10, 2022, 07:57:27 pm »
so many experts ..... think ill leave it to the club to decide his future here or not we only get to see him in a few games they get to see him all the time ... in klopp and the coaches i trust
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3510 on: July 10, 2022, 08:35:11 pm »
There were times when he looked like he'd been coached to within an inch of his life to the extent that he wasn't play his natural game.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3511 on: July 11, 2022, 12:35:55 am »
so many experts ..... think ill leave it to the club to decide his future here or not we only get to see him in a few games they get to see him all the time ... in klopp and the coaches i trust
You're new here, right? ;)

(Though I agree with you)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #3512 on: July 12, 2022, 03:11:59 pm »
new as a member yep new to the forums nope been looking ion daily for as long as i remember  ... been a liverpool fan since mid 70s ... just because im new as a member dont make anyone on here better or worse than me so not sure what your getting at with the ''your new here'' quote if honest

im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3513 on: July 12, 2022, 03:16:44 pm »

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #3514 on: July 12, 2022, 04:14:57 pm »

very childish .... but if that what make you popular then carry on

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #3515 on: July 12, 2022, 04:23:46 pm »
very childish .... but if that what make you popular then carry on
He was joking with you mate.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3516 on: July 12, 2022, 04:31:14 pm »
I've always loved marmite as well. You know what they say, never meet your heroes.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3517 on: July 12, 2022, 04:38:52 pm »
Forums gonna gatekeep.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3518 on: July 12, 2022, 07:23:36 pm »
new as a member yep new to the forums nope been looking ion daily for as long as i remember  ... been a liverpool fan since mid 70s ... just because im new as a member dont make anyone on here better or worse than me so not sure what your getting at with the ''your new here'' quote if honest

Ah man, that 'you must be new here' gag is surely as old as the hills.

It means I was agreeing with your post and essentially praising the stance you were exhibiting within it

Never meant to cause any Bovril. ;)

I've always loved marmite as well. You know what they say, never meet your heroes.
:lmao
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3519 on: July 12, 2022, 07:28:32 pm »
Even when Ghost Town is being sincere, he still manages to rub someone up the wrong way.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.