Author Topic: Xbox  (Read 306162 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Xbox
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:53:54 am »
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/xbox-one/XB1HW48-xbox-one-console-without-kinect

£349 new, released june 9th

3 months after release Xbox One gets a price drop to £399 including titanfall

Not sure how long this will last but now £349 at MAplins:

www.maplin.co.uk/p/microsoft-xbox-one-500-gb-games-console-a29lz
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:28:59 pm by SP »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:57 am »
Excited to see what is going to happen with this.

Will be best for the gaming industry if the specs are almost identical.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »
Reveal will almost certainly be at the Microsoft event to be held on April 26.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »
I think it's quite an interesting set of SDK details. The hard copies of games are obviously just to tie to your console. WIll be inetresting to see how they work round rentals, or you taking the game to a mates house. Maybe each game can only be activated twice?

I like the sound of Always On - if anything it matches there policy of making discs less prominent. If it's always on, it's a safe bet that during the day trickel downloads will be delivering content - esepcially as you can queue and download from their site.

It's almost gravitating towards a steam account. Hopefully some more solid details will come out over the next few weeks. Not entirely sold on the idea of having to have a kinect just to use the console as I like space and the kinect is a bit bulky for my units.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:21:26 pm »
So the always connected and non trade able rumour was true. :butt

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:26:04 pm »
Durango? Is that it's official name? Weird. I thought it was 720.

The always on thing sounds alright if like lachesis says above it'll download things in the background you need when you're not using it. Mind you the 360 will continue downloading something if you shut it down after starting the download. The kinect coming with/being intergrated doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I just want a controller/keyboard where I can press a button to start it, not have to do a jig or shout at it to work.

I love my 360 and I kinda think they have to do something special to stop me giving my money to Sony this time, if I haven't got a proper PC by then anyway. Can't wait for the reveal, be very interesting I'm sure.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:36:32 pm »
So the always connected and non trade able rumour was true. :butt

Rumoured to be true.  We don't know anything yet.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »
Rumoured to be true.  We don't know anything yet.

I'd laugh if you had to put a code in before the game even installs to the hard drive.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:19 pm »
Almost nothing about it seems attractive to me. Shame as I was 360 this generation for a large part.

This 'always on' stuff is so meh to me. I've just cancelled my automatic Xbox live gold subscription as I realised I never even use it, not that bothered about multiplayer games.
The prospect of getting rid of second hand games pisses me off too. Or even the ability to lend or borrow games even! Take your own game round to your mate's house? No, MS says no. that would be shite.

'More powerful than Xbox 360' that article says. no shit Sherlock, think everyone is kind of expecting that as a minimum!

Kinect, give a shit.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 03:06:32 pm »
I'd laugh if you had to put a code in before the game even installs to the hard drive.

Nah, they make you do it every 20 minutes, by holding the code up to the new kinect - which needs to be on to launch the game ;D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 03:12:14 pm »
Durango? Is that it's official name?
Still a code name.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »
Nah, they make you do it every 20 minutes, by holding the code up to the new kinect - which needs to be on to launch the game ;D

I work for Microsoft. That's a brilliant idea!!!

(I don't really)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »
I'm glad MS are pushing the Kinect technology and implementing it into the actual hardware. It encourages devs to now actually think around it when developing games, and it will offer something different. Specs are also not the be all and end all like most people believe. Development tools for the developers are far more important at this stage. If MS do some sort of deal with the makers of the Oculas Rift and combine it with Kinect, that's a game changer for me. Not a gimmick, but a new direction in gaming.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 05:28:29 pm »

Why not. You do on PC. The disc isn't ever used again after most first time installations.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:13 pm »
Always online and Kinnect always on? Are they planning on spying on people?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 06:08:09 pm »
Why not. You do on PC. The disc isn't ever used again after most first time installations.

PC don't also cost £50 to buy.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 06:13:39 pm »
none of that sounds bad to me, as long as they stick in a terabyte hard drive if they require all games to be installed, expect game size to increase from xbox 360 simply because game size always increases when they have more space, they get sloppier and don't bother optimising their storage
STFU and agree with me.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 06:19:26 pm »
none of that sounds bad to me, as long as they stick in a terabyte hard drive if they require all games to be installed, expect game size to increase from xbox 360 simply because game size always increases when they have more space, they get sloppier and don't bother optimising their storage

You'll be forced to buy an external HDD.

As for the always online and kinect always active bullshit, no thanks, don't fancy having something else eating up the bandwith aswell.

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 06:20:12 pm »
No way will it have to be always online, would be a suicidal move.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:53 pm »
it will be always online, it will not require it to be always online, there's a big difference

same with kinect, you'll have to have in on but not have to use it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 06:33:38 pm »
it will be always online, it will not require it to be always online, there's a big difference

Neither of which any of us actually know.

For those moaning about Kinect, I'm sure every PS4 ships with the new PS Eye which (spec wise) is in the middle of a Kinect 1 and 2.

:D

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:06 pm »
I dunno, I'm not liking the idea of Steve Ballmer watching me having a wank.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »
Well I hope the source is extremely wide of the mark because kinect integration doesn't interest me, even less so if its a major point of the system. If you only use the disc to ship the content and then its transferred to your hard drive, points to not being able to trade the game in. Otherwise everyone would be installing it on there HDD and then trading it in and getting high trade in value or just getting a refund.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »
Well I hope the source is extremely wide of the mark because kinect integration doesn't interest me, even less so if its a major point of the system. If you only use the disc to ship the content and then its transferred to your hard drive, points to not being able to trade the game in. Otherwise everyone would be installing it on there HDD and then trading it in and getting high trade in value or just getting a refund.
If they do send kinect with every box I expect Sony to do the same with the PS eye. I can see voice commands being useful with the os and in some games but otherwise I'm not bothered about it.

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 07:20:38 pm »

???

I don't get that, please explain. 

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 10:33:27 pm »
if you have a network cable plugged in it will always have an active connection to the internet, checking for updates etc, so every few mins it will ask the MS servers if they have any patches or game updates etc and download them while the machine is in a very low power mode

if you don't have it plugged in it won't

what some people were worried about was that in order for your console to work you would need a working internet connection, in other words, you lose your web connection you can't use your xbox, which they won't do as it's beyond ridiculous
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »
I don't know, I'm not really mad about the always on and the lock down of games that you own.

Also they'd want to be careful of integrating too much into Kinnect. Sometime I like coming in pissed drunk and playing something. I don't want to have to be standing up shaking my controller or screaming commands at the telly.

Also if the always having to be attached to the internet is true, I'm out. Broadband in Aus is shite and expensive. I'll just buy up all the old titles for 360 and spend years finishing them.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 10:38:04 pm »
i but all my pc games on steam i can't resell any of them, it's never been a problem with me mainly because a brand new game is 30 quid and you can usually get some brilliant deals in the sales

sadly i expect MS to sell their online games at RRP, making them more expensive than in shops, to me that's not on
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »
The reselling is one thing, but I think especially with consoles it's nice to be able to move a game that you own around a bit. I mean Evo and Fifa nights with your mates are out or they're in the same guys place every night.

If you own it, you own it and should be able to do with you want with it. PC's and steam i wouldn't min so much but to get a decent PC is out for me for cost and room in my place. Plus I've never really gotten into PC gaming although I see the benefits of it.

I buy a lot of cheap games and stuff but would classify myself a casual gamer. Judging by the noise around the PS4 and new xbox It looks like the ps4 is giving gamers like me what they want.

Sadly all the work Microsoft did to get me off PS 2 is going to be undone. Although if they made a scenario like you say you have with steam were titles are cheap enough it would probably convince me to stay with XBOX.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:45:08 pm by Scaryscouse »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:56 pm »
my one hope is that this low power mode is a bit quieter than the xbox when you leave it charging a controller in it's current low power mode :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58:08 pm »
That would be handy alright. When I'm downloading it my little shoebox apartment it's like a jet is taking off.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:36 pm »
If the always connected thing is true they'd better have better fucking wireless that doesn't disconnect from the router for no reason and not reconnect for several minutes.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:49 pm »

I mean that you have to put a code in to play the game. New copies only etc.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »
Mandatory Kinect? Pfft.

First they made it so that only one person had access to online content per every copy of the game. Next we'll see only one gamertag allowed access to the offline content too. And when they realise people are still sharing by using somebody else's gamertag or console they'll decide a full Kinect body identification necessary to start a game. They'll be scanning our retinas soon.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 3, 2013, 05:30:06 am »
Praising next Xbox? Plays used games after all?

Quote:
Leading video games retailer GameStop saw its sales drop seven percent last year, and chief executive J. Paul Raines sees much of the decline attributable to the console cycle itself. With fewer games to sell, the impact is being felt on the used games side as well, but Raines told GamesIndustry International last week following the GameStop earnings call that he's very excited for next-gen, and he's especially eager for Microsoft to take the wraps off its next-gen Xbox.

"We've been spending a lot of time with Microsoft, but we have to let them take the lead on this, but it will be a very hot, compelling device. They are doing some really cool stuff, and I'm eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice," Raines commented.

While some in the industry have a negative sentiment towards the console space overall and believe that next-gen consoles simply won't sell the same volume that we've seen in previous cycles, Raines remains optimistic.

"We don't subscribe to that. The cool thing with GameStop is, we've got a lot of gamers here and we've got a lot of people [on the team] who've seen every console cycle. And what's interesting to me - I was talking to one of our founders, Dan DeMatteo, and he was telling me every console cycle you get people who will say 'there will never be another console,' or 'what else can the consoles do?' And we just believe it's a cycle and we just haven't had a new product in so long. But we certainly don't believe that the new consoles won't be as exciting," he said, adding that the nearly 900,000 people who signed up for the "First to Know" list to hear more about the PS4, and the 34 percent of PowerUp Rewards members who expect to buy a PS4 in the next 12 months is proof of the buzz around new consoles. "There's a lot of demand for PS4, and I think there will be for the next Xbox as well, once it's announced."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #35 on: April 5, 2013, 11:49:59 am »
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1298977/microsoft-xbox-720-may-require-an-always-on-internet-connection

Microsoft's creative director - Adam Orth stated: "Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console. Every device now is 'always on.' That's the world we live in. #dealwithit"

In additional messages archived by Kotaku, Orth claims that people without an internet connection "should definitely get with the times and get the internet"
:D

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #36 on: April 5, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »
I think he's taking the piss, personally. He's a sarcy bastard
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 5, 2013, 12:49:42 pm »
Seems more like he's just a complete tool to me.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 5, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
This is why microsoft are incompetent tools. Creative director can't even get creative with his twitter responses

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 5, 2013, 01:14:11 pm »
True or not some horrible PR, comes across like a complete douchebag. Looking more and more likely like my money's going to sony this year.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.