Author Topic: "Rafa's Grinding Machine" - article by Vanoord on .tv - a good read  (Read 5397 times)

royhendo

i posted this elsewhere, but it's worth a read in its own right i reckon - it's from the .tv forums... posted by a fella called 'vanoord'. i don't spend much time there but it's really well written... :wave

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=72003ad.php?t=72137

Rafa's Red Grinding Machine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The adjective that was perhaps most often applied to Rafa Benitez's Valencia side was "unfancied": an unfancied style of play, an unfancied sort of club and certainly not a club that anyone would have fancied to win La Liga twice in three years.

Yet, despite the apparently inherent unfanciability of the club, it became known as the "crushing machine": a side that dominated games and crushed the opposition, with the players working as a single unit for a singular cause. It might not have had the stars that other sides had, but Rafael Benitez brought something that the others didn't have and couldn't buy: league titles.

Liverpool under Benitez has been a work in progress for much of his tenure; although conversely the Spaniard has proved his abilities on the European stage and the club now stands at the head of UEFA's list. All the same, the comparatively poor showing in the domestic league has given rise to cries from some quarters that "Rafa does not understand the English game".

However, as Benitez surveys the league table a quarter of the way through this season, it's from a position 3 points ahead of their nearest rivals Chelsea, who have just surrendered to Liverpool an unbeaten run of home games that stretched back to February 2004. The side that Rafa built is delivering domestically at long last.

The change has been subtle, but the results marked: this is a side that grinds out results through gritty resolve and determination. Liverpool have fallen behind four times in the league this season and have then gone on to win. Whilst crushing victories may not yet be an integral part of the Reds' repertoire, there's no denying that the Liverpool of 08/09 is fast gathering a reputation as a grinding machine, an unfanciable side that gets results.

To find the roots of this, one should perhaps go back to December 2004, to a side relying on third-choice strikers and sheer single-mindedness that battled its way through the group stages of the Champions League. In the final game of the group stage, Liverpool were out of the competition with 45 minutes to go. They needed three goals and it was hard to see where they'd come from; however, a couple of inspirational substitutions and a moment of magic from Steven Gerrard proved that determination could overturn the odds.

The progress to the final was marked by similarly dogged battles and was perhaps best summed up by a tale recounted by Five Live's Alan Green: as the press corps flew to watch Liverpool defend their 2-1 lead at Juventus, the talk was of how Chelsea would cope with the Italians in the semi-final, so certain were the Reds to crash out of the competition. Yet, even with the unfancied Igor Biscan standing in for a suspended Steven Gerrard, a dogged 0-0 saw the stage set for an all-English semi-final which still stands as one of Benitez's best tactical victories.

And then, of course, there was the 'miracle' of Istanbul: 3-0 down at half time and ol' big ears still came home - and it certainly wasn't because Liverpool were the best footballing side. It was that dogged determination again, perfectly expressed by the magnificent Jamie Carragher, who saved the team again and again in extra time, despite the inconvenient fact that he should have been on the treatment table. History was made by a perfect blend of the astute tactics of Benitez and the grit and determination that has defined Liverpool teams down the years.

Yet whilst the European performances have been outstanding, the domestic showing has not been so fabulous and that perseverance has not been translated to the league. To an extent, that could be attributed to the fact that Benitez has been working against two clubs that have massive spending power and can field an array of world-class stars, whereas Liverpool have been shopping at the cheaper end of the transfer market. Similarly, there have been accusations that the drive to win may not have been there week-in, week-out, with the mentality perhaps being that lowlier sides would succumb rather than having to be ground down.

Taking the latter point first, it may be that the addition of Sammy Lee has been the final major piece in the jigsaw: whilst he may not be the world's most tactically astute manager, he's one of football's best motivators. That's certainly showed through in several games so far, when the side has been behind heads have stayed up and the desire to win has overcome the opposition. In simple terms, determination and sheer belief have ground out results and the fusion of Scouse heart and Spanish genius seems to be working well.

Historically under Benitez, Liverpool have proved a very difficult side to beat: a siege mentality set in and the fruits of a concerted fitness programme saw red players chasing down their attacking opposition in numbers until the very last minute. What was perhaps lacking was the ability to move forwards and strike the killer blow: the addition of Fernando Torres last season certainly improved this, but the accusation that the side had become a two-man team prevailed.

Questions still remained about some players in the squad, with the "tireless" Dirk Kuyt in particular being singled out as someone who simply wasn't of "Liverpool quality": yes, he might run his socks off and have an incredible workrate but that wasn't considered enough to win trophies. This, of course, overlooks one simple but fundamental point: players do not win league titles - teams do. And that's where Benitez is king.

The defeat of Chelsea may prove to be pivotable; and it is certainly an illustration of what Benitez has created. With the absence of the talismanic Torres, Liverpool were shorn of their greatest goal threat, a loss that lead many to believe that a draw was the best that could be achieved. Again, this overlooked one vital point: one man does not make a team - and it was a team that Benitez fielded, not a collective of star footballers.

The victory at Stamford Bridge is perhaps Liverpool's most significant game in the league in a decade: the Reds got back in numbers, chased down whichever Chelsea player had the temerity to have the ball and - more importantly - on several occasions the red hoarde flowed forwards in a fluid movement with the ball being interchanged between players who seemed to have a telepathic link. And finally, the belief and perseverance broke through the glass ceiling that hadn't seen an away win against a top side for what seems like an age.

The grinding machine's attack starts from its defence; its defence starts from the attack - indeed with the "tireless" Kuyt proving exactly why Benitez bought him. Despite the lack of goals so far, Robbie Keane has proved to be another vital cog in the machine: the team may contain several unfancied players, but the end product is still the side that's standing at the top of the Premier League. As someone once said, you don't have to buy the best leg you can buy for the table; you have to buy the leg that fits the table.

Tactical flexibility has finally been made to work: shifting to what was in effect a 2-4-4 when you're 2-1 down and your defence is suffering at the hands of the league's most in-form striker is possibly not the most obvious of switches but it worked, perhaps through belief as much as logic. And then there's what could perhaps best be described as a 'lockdown': when the side is protecting its lead with a few minutes to go, on comes a third central defender and the game is put to bed. It's not so much parking the bus as akin to a shopkeeper pulling down the shutters and locking the door so he can get on with counting the takings and taking stock at the end of the day: thank you for playing against us, but the game's over now, whatever the referee may think.

This Liverpool side is not yet a purveyor of pretty football: yet it is grinding out results with a regularity that's not been seen from Liverpool at this stage of the season for some time. Perhaps for the first time, Rafael Benitez has got the team he wants: a team of players working hard with the determination to win every game; a team that understands each other and plays the sort of fluid football that their maestro wants; and most importantly, a side that beats with a scouse heart that just won't accept defeat.

While Benitez's usual expression may be that of a poker player who gives nothing away, he must be quietly confident with progress so far: his creation is now delivering its potential; the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, even when its stars are missing. And at the back of his mind, Benitez must be looking forwards to letting the team off its leash and allowing the unfancied grinding machine become the new red crushing machine: make no mistake about it, this is only the beginning.

Offline coolfire

• Kopite
  • Raa-Fa..Rafael... Raa-Fa..Rafael... Raa-Fa..Rafael
Re: "Rafa's Grinding Machine" - article by Vanoord on .tv - a good read
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:43:05 pm »
Keeping my fingers crossed that the Red Crushing Machine will be even better than the original one come this May...

Nice read there... ;)
Rafa Benitez, 19112007: "But even if I was approached I would tell whichever club it was that I am really happy with my club, my squad, my supporters and my city."

Moses said,"Come forth", but we came fifth...And won the Champions League!

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:02:38 pm »
thanks for that! - I feel that Rafa has been building and his "permutations" in the last 4 years just necessary steps to get us to where we are now..thanks RAFA, for your efforts to get us this far!
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 04:05:54 pm »
Vanoord's on rawk aswel isn't he?

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:14:04 pm »
players do not win league titles - teams do.

perhaps people should remember this when, even after the team wins the game, X or Y are singled out for criticism.

Great read that, cheers for posting
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:19:42 pm »
It's not so much parking the bus as akin to a shopkeeper pulling down the shutters and locking the door so he can get on with counting the takings and taking stock at the end of the day: thank you for playing against us, but the game's over now, whatever the referee may think.

Great Quote
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Galzakian

• Anny Roader
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 04:22:13 pm »
Interesting read! Thanks for posting
Get The Fuck In!
~ When the lads are down, at Old Trafford... Who you gonna call? Steve Gerrard! --
~ When you're 3 goals down, in Istanbul... Who you gonna call? Steve Gerrard! --

Offline skivvy149

• Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:23:09 pm »
A good read and well written.

This season is arguably the first season Rafa's had "his" team in place, apart from Gerrard, Carragher and Hypia, the signings are all his and all the pieces seem to be in place. I just hope that should we not win the title this season, people's knee jerk reaction isn't "sack Rafa", it does take time, I know people always use Ferguson as an example, but it's a good one.

I know we drew with Stoke, when really we would have expected to beat them, but last season, the likes of Wigan, Pompey, United, Chelsea and Everton would have seen us play well and still drop points, long may this great run continue.

Whilst it's lovely sitting at the top of the pile, unbeaten in all competitions, and having got through our traditional bogey month, we've had so many false dawns that most of our just waiting for it all to come crashing down, I pray it doesn't and I bloody wish it was May right now.

Offline liverboy74

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:30 pm »
Like that, well posted.
'If a player isn't interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be !'

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 04:46:46 pm »
CRUSHING MACHINE

I love it.

Offline Markus/GER

• Slightly less interesting than Statto. RAWK's resident numerologist.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »
The same old myth about the Valencia Grinding Maschine. Rafa's Valencia won the league with only 75 and 77 points (in 38 games). That's nowhere near enough to win the English league, as Rafa has found out 2006 by reaching 82 points and still finishing 3rd with 9 points behind Chelsea.

Not criticizing Rafa, just saying we need to become an even better team than Rafa's Valencia team was .... just emulating them won't do.
Don't mention the war! ;)

royhendo

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 05:28:45 pm »
The same old myth about the Valencia Grinding Maschine. Rafa's Valencia won the league with only 75 and 77 points (in 38 games). That's nowhere near enough to win the English league, as Rafa has found out 2006 by reaching 82 points and still finishing 3rd with 9 points behind Chelsea.

Not criticizing Rafa, just saying we need to become an even better team than Rafa's Valencia team was .... just emulating them won't do.

hmmm... i'm not sure the metaphor relates to the points total specifically - more the ability to crush all hope from the opposing side.

and journos and opposing managers are now starting to tag this side with the same kind of language...

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=229903.0

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:31:50 pm »
hmmm... i'm not sure the metaphor relates to the points total specifically - more the ability to crush all hope from the opposing side.

and journos and opposing managers are now starting to tag this side with the same kind of language...

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=229903.0
now Rafa has a grinding machine, how long till he gets an espresso machine ? 

Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »
Think so.

Good read that, but I also think to much emphases is put on that Valencia team and as far as I can remember Rafa said we eclipsed his Valencia last year?

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 07:22:59 pm »
Think so.

Good read that, but I also think to much emphases is put on that Valencia team and as far as I can remember Rafa said we eclipsed his Valencia last year?

C>dont think so, I recall Rafa saying recently that the situation THIS season reminds him of the beginning of his success @ Valencia, when he felt they were coming good...(?)
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »
Great read,
YNWA

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:39 pm »
Grinding Machine, Crushing Machine e.t.c! were like one of those devices from the S.a.w Films our opponents should be shitting themselves.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
Great read that, sent flutters in my stomach. Just what we need for this high-pressure week where it's most important - yet most difficult - to keep winning the games to sustain our lead.
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline Elbingo

• Main Stander
  • BOOM!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 08:52:13 pm »
Tactical flexibility has finally been made to work: shifting to what was in effect a 2-4-4 when you're 2-1 down and your defence is suffering at the hands of the league's most in-form striker is possibly not the most obvious of switches but it worked, perhaps through belief as much as logic. And then there's what could perhaps best be described as a 'lockdown': when the side is protecting its lead with a few minutes to go, on comes a third central defender and the game is put to bed. It's not so much parking the bus as akin to a shopkeeper pulling down the shutters and locking the door so he can get on with counting the takings and taking stock at the end of the day: thank you for playing against us, but the game's over now, whatever the referee may think.

Brilliant use of words, sound read that  ;D

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 08:52:20 pm »
Excellent post.

Leaves me with a growing sense of optimism for the short and long term future as long as Rafa is in charge.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 09:01:48 pm »
Nice post and I agree with all of it, but one point in particular stands out - I'm a firm believer that Sammy Lee's involvement is what's giving us the fighting spirit when the chips are down this season.
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2008, 12:33:22 am »

The red machine is in full effect; steve mcmahon.....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mascherrardorres

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2008, 06:16:13 am »
We're still a work-in-progress IMO. However, that does not mean we cannot win the league this season either. I'm already looking forward to the next 2 seasons, where Rafa will fine-tune and tweak this Red Crushing Machine to full devastating effect.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #23 on: November 1, 2008, 07:05:34 am »
We're still a work-in-progress IMO. However, that does not mean we cannot win the league this season either. I'm already looking forward to the next 2 seasons, where Rafa will fine-tune and tweak this Red Crushing Machine to full devastating effect.

That what is so exciting IMO, right now we have players who have been with us for 4 months and are still learning what Rafa expects... our final ball is still not clinical as it should, hopefully when Keane gets into a groove we will see a improvement in this department...

On a side note, just imagine if we had Alves on the right making storming runs from deep, getting involved in our attacks?

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 1, 2008, 07:10:08 am »
...make no mistake about it, this is only the beginning.

i concurr, and by fuck does that thought excite me!
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #25 on: November 1, 2008, 01:04:57 pm »
Good read. You can feel the cautious belief gaining momentum, from the fans to the boss and the team.

Don't want to get carried away, but without belief we won't get anywhere.

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: November 1, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

Indeed he is ;)
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2008, 03:06:40 pm »
The Reds are coming up the hill, boys.

Offline Bilsland

• Main Stander
  • Justice for Michael Shields-Keep the Faith
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2008, 03:39:40 pm »
Fame at last Van.... 8) :wave

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: November 1, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »
Fame at last Van.... 8) :wave

Hehe! Hello! :wave

Having re-read that with a slightly fresh mind, perhaps I didn't emphasize the point that we're currently grinding teams into submission with a never-say-die attitude rather than crushing them. We played some really fabulous football a few times against Chelsea, literally running rings round them with some really neat interchanging of passes. At some point, we're going to spend good proportions of games doing that and then we should see the sort of emphatic victories that Chelsea and to a lesser extent ManU have managed this season.
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 1, 2008, 05:14:43 pm »
"The defeat of Chelsea may prove to be pivotable;"

'pivotal'

or pivot table  using Excel etc?

Entertaining piece...  well done.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2008, 05:19:14 pm by OLDSCROTE »
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.