Author Topic: Liverpool City Council  (Read 110695 times)

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool City Council
« Reply #560 on: July 11, 2023, 02:38:12 pm »
There’s no culture of commuting by bike as there’s no history of cycling infrastructure across the whole of the UK.

Not true, roads had major upgrades for Bicycles before the advent of the motor vehicles. Also there had been an initiative to create a national cycle infrastructure throughout the U.K. in the 1930's.

It is all here https://seesense.cc/blogs/hub/the-history-of-cycling.

The problem is that people driving big fuck off cars, taking up all the space of roads by either not driving correctly (ie in the wrong lanes of a motorway, using a phone or speeding) see cycling as some form of evil act as it is a lot cheaper than buying the latest big bulky wankpanzer and complaining about being stuck in traffic. Cycling takes up less room, is good for the environment and has been around longer than the recent uptake in motor vehicles.  I Drive and Cycle, I prefer cycling and hate the attitude most drivers have when they see a cyclist on a road.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #561 on: July 11, 2023, 02:40:36 pm »
^ if it's raining then i put on my waterproofs

they've got pretty similar weather in the netherlands and they seem to cope alright

it's all about the infrastructure - they're more interested in cars than cycles it's plain to see

cars generate more money for the government than cycles so...

poor cycle lanes badly designed for cyclists, potholes everywhere on the road, traffic congestion, deadly emissions - it's all outta control

i used to work on the cabs and i'm telling you now that if any government took a million cars off the road then there'd be a million (uber) taxis back on the road to replace them
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #562 on: July 11, 2023, 02:42:22 pm »
People don't want to cycle in the UK weather though - I got told to go fuck myself on here for suggesting to a poster who was crying about train fares into town, that instead of whinging about it, do something, fuck the train off and get a moped or cycle. Their excuse was cos they didn't wanna get wet and cold.

I can see the point though, who wants to get piss wet through going to work or going home? Then you've got to wear a backpack with a laptop, phone, dinner etc and if you come off and land on that, you're potentially looking at a broken back.

I get where RB is coming from too, cycle lanes by us are never used, the roads are a fucking disgrace, pot holes everywhere - thanks to the Tory c*nts in their Chauffeur Driven £200k Range Rovers.
There wasn’t any real cycling commuting or infrastructure in Holland  until the late 70’s saw a change in the thinking of planners and governments. There has to be the political will and monies allocated to authorities.  As to the weather, the city with the most bike infrastructure is Copenhagen, not exactly the warmest or driest of countries. Clothing for cyclists is good, you can cycle to work and get there dry and warm. People are just lazy and beholding to a polluting vehicle that they can’t live without.

There has to be a change in the mindset of people and politicians for cycling to become an easily accessible and accepted mode of transport.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: July 11, 2023, 02:51:48 pm »
Not true, roads had major upgrades for Bicycles before the advent of the motor vehicles. Also there had been an initiative to create a national cycle infrastructure throughout the U.K. in the 1930's.

It is all here https://seesense.cc/blogs/hub/the-history-of-cycling.

The problem is that people driving big fuck off cars, taking up all the space of roads by either not driving correctly (ie in the wrong lanes of a motorway, using a phone or speeding) see cycling as some form of evil act as it is a lot cheaper than buying the latest big bulky wankpanzer and complaining about being stuck in traffic. Cycling takes up less room, is good for the environment and has been around longer than the recent uptake in motor vehicles.  I Drive and Cycle, I prefer cycling and hate the attitude most drivers have when they see a cyclist on a road.
The culture I refer to is one were cyclists are seen as legitimate road users and not a hinderance to the other traffic on the road. I rode all over Europe as a child and the responses from 99% of the other road users was one of respect and consideration, in this country it’s the opposite. I speak not from experience as I’ve ridden for nearly 50 years, but I see it most every day.

When I was a kid it was easy to ride to school and safe, a lot less cars on the road. We know have the same culture as in the USA, the car is king. No government wants to upset car users as they are a large % of voters, cyclists, not so much.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: July 11, 2023, 02:56:02 pm »
The whole attitude of car ownership needs to change. We all spend too much on a vehicle that for 99% of the time sits outside your house or office. The government needs to invest in public transport more, make it a lot cheaper and quicker to get a train, bus or tram to places through proper infrastructure and networking. At the start of the 20th century, it was all in place, but killed off post war by letting the car take over.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: July 11, 2023, 03:02:28 pm »
The whole attitude of car ownership needs to change. We all spend too much on a vehicle that for 99% of the time sits outside your house or office. The government needs to invest in public transport more, make it a lot cheaper and quicker to get a train, bus or tram to places through proper infrastructure and networking. At the start of the 20th century, it was all in place, but killed off post war by letting the car take over.
I grew in an affluent part of the city in the 60’s and 70’s and there was not a lot of cars then, maybe one to a house. Where my mates lived most households didn’t have a car. The rush from 79 on to be a consumer is seen in how many houses have more than 1 car now.

That the car is seen king can be seen in the refusal to raise and actually reduce fuel duty. There’s no one politician whose brave enough to,in a position of power anyway.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 03:05:27 pm by Baby Huey »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: July 11, 2023, 05:36:51 pm »
^ if it's raining then i put on my waterproofs

they've got pretty similar weather in the netherlands and they seem to cope alright

it's all about the infrastructure - they're more interested in cars than cycles it's plain to see

cars generate more money for the government than cycles so...

poor cycle lanes badly designed for cyclists, potholes everywhere on the road, traffic congestion, deadly emissions - it's all outta control

i used to work on the cabs and i'm telling you now that if any government took a million cars off the road then there'd be a million (uber) taxis back on the road to replace them

The English are fannies.

WE do need to get away from the car is king, but we've been allowed to get so reliant on them, that it will take decades to sort it out. Example is, I can't actually get a bus to the local supermarket, so doing a bit shop relies on the car - my missus walks the shops every day and shops that way, but when buying lots of heavy stuff like milk at once, I have no choice but to drive. Before we went WFH, a 5 mile bus run took me 30 mins in the morning and 60-80 mins of a night, fucking nightmare combining that with dropping the kids at school, I used to get into work at 9:45 and get home 7:30 pm and there was no way I was cycling as I like being alive.

Same with taking my son to cadets, he can't get a bus and its a 2 mile walk each way, twice a week. I combine dropping him off with a run to the shops to get all the heavy stuff.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #567 on: July 11, 2023, 05:43:10 pm »
There’s no culture of commuting by bike as there’s no history of cycling infrastructure across the whole of the UK.

Make it safer for kids to cycle and you’ll see an improvement in cycling in the country. Anyone whose ever cycled on the continent will tell you that the attitude towards cyclists is completely different to the confrontational nature in this country.

Cycling is a win for everybody. It’s just that nowadays the car reigns supreme, unlike when I was a kid. There’s too many unnecessary journeys by car.

I cycle to work in the summer, don't do it in the winter after having a bad fall last year. But where I am the cycle lanes are used a lot especially in the better months.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #568 on: July 11, 2023, 05:46:17 pm »
Anyway back to stag and hen do's. The city centre is a no go at weekends for me now. I don't live in Liverpool any more but when I could home for family and mates visits it's strictly midweek only.

I know some cities are actively discouraging big groups but Liverpool seems to be full on for them to visit.
I get I'm not a youngster now but fuck me I can't be doing with it.

I have friends down south who love the Beatles and want to explore the culture of our city', and always ask me the best places to go etc and I always add 'avoid the weekends like the plague'.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: July 11, 2023, 06:06:19 pm »
Anyway back to stag and hen do's. The city centre is a no go at weekends for me now. I don't live in Liverpool any more but when I could home for family and mates visits it's strictly midweek only.

I know some cities are actively discouraging big groups but Liverpool seems to be full on for them to visit.
I get I'm not a youngster now but fuck me I can't be doing with it.

I have friends down south who love the Beatles and want to explore the culture of our city', and always ask me the best places to go etc and I always add 'avoid the weekends like the plague'.

I've been back 3 times in the past 12 months on a Saturday, last August, December for my birthday and at Easter. Missus loves Mathew Street, Flanagans, Erics and the Rubber Sole, so we always get some food in Yatesies then go there via the Abbey Road. Now, we usually fuck off about 8pm to get the train back to Manc, but it's been sound the times we've gone. Does it get bad later on?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #570 on: July 11, 2023, 08:09:13 pm »
I must be the only one on here who has zero interest in ever cycling to work or using it as a mode of transport. I think the only time I’ve ever considered anything other than my car is a train, however this was due to it being fairly quick and easily accessible for my old place of work. If public transport was more accessible (more trains and stations) and cheaper, you’d certainly see people not rely on their car as much.
Justice for the 97

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: July 12, 2023, 09:08:07 am »
I've been back 3 times in the past 12 months on a Saturday, last August, December for my birthday and at Easter. Missus loves Mathew Street, Flanagans, Erics and the Rubber Sole, so we always get some food in Yatesies then go there via the Abbey Road. Now, we usually fuck off about 8pm to get the train back to Manc, but it's been sound the times we've gone. Does it get bad later on?

No, it's just a load of old farts moaning about people out having fun. Mathew St is exactly the same as it's been for the last 20 years or so I've going out. A good mix of old and young, stag dos, hen dos, out for a laugh. Concert Square can be a bit rough at times like

Why anyone would discourage people from visiting this city is beyond me. It is one of the most vibrant, welcoming places in the country and is always busy with people here to see and experience everything we have to offer

Are there issues with rubbish and stuff? Yeah of course there is, but every major city is the same, especially on a weekend. It's a societal problem that needs addressing, not something that can be blamed on councils or workers not doing their jobs. As someone pointed out earlier, if you're in town of a morning you see people out cleaning the streets constantly so it's not like it's just left to fester

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2023, 09:42:50 am »
I was out in town Saturday and had fun. Doesn't seem worse or better than like at any point

The current rubbish problem is annoying

Plenty of groups about. It is hen night season. Same as it ever was

My own tastes have changed. Much prefer a quiet boozer where I can have a chat to anything else but with the rain on Sat night I was ducking and diving into random places

Noted no trouble
No bizzies nor any needed
plenty of OOTers I guess but I don't ask I don't really talk to strangers

I'd say I need to curate where I go better now than I used to like fifteen years ago but that's natural no?

Mathew St and Concert Square have always been where like, yer average square goes, bit young now I am 40, but I don't really notice a different vibe at all

Is funny to see the auld fella in Concert Square in the day - he charms groups of young women and offers to do a portrait of them

And of course it's a crap rendition and you see the targets being disappointed after.. Live and learn ey

I avoid weekends just cause they're busier but other than that I don't see the problem

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #573 on: July 12, 2023, 01:48:18 pm »
Thing is, the pubs & bars in Matthew Street have got quite expensive now, a few mates went over there a few weeks ago beers were £6-£7 a pint, only a couple of years ago they were £4 a pint
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: July 12, 2023, 05:31:40 pm »
Thing is, the pubs & bars in Matthew Street have got quite expensive now, a few mates went over there a few weeks ago beers were £6-£7 a pint, only a couple of years ago they were £4 a pint

£6.20 I got charged for a Guinness at Easter :no

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #575 on: July 12, 2023, 05:34:06 pm »
Looking forward to the season and back to the supporters club for the prices which make me smile, especially when it is a couple of home games in a row.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: July 12, 2023, 05:34:09 pm »
£6.20 I got charged for a Guinness at Easter :no
Tourist prices.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: July 12, 2023, 05:51:39 pm »
Tourist prices.

It is isn't it, I said that to the Barman in Erics. I'd never set foot in a bar in Mathew Street until I was in my 40's, first time was with a load of lads we know from Switzerland and then with the missus, it's a nice atmosphere but fuck me you get ripped off. The missus was going around there with her mates long before she met me and she just loves it.

Gets me a bit nostalgic knowing my Ma was a teen going down there in the early 60's to watch the Beatles in the Cavern.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #578 on: July 12, 2023, 06:18:50 pm »
It is isn't it, I said that to the Barman in Erics. I'd never set foot in a bar in Mathew Street until I was in my 40's, first time was with a load of lads we know from Switzerland and then with the missus, it's a nice atmosphere but fuck me you get ripped off. The missus was going around there with her mates long before she met me and she just loves it.

Gets me a bit nostalgic knowing my Ma was a teen going down there in the early 60's to watch the Beatles in the Cavern.

I was in the Albert in Lark Lane on Friday and they had an old Cavern poster on display featuring the Who on Sunday 31st October, 1965 as it turned out. One of the upcoming acts was Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames. My wife, a teenager at the time was at that gig with her,first, husband to be.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: July 12, 2023, 06:58:21 pm »

My ma was in there too. Small world lad. ;D I remember one of the owners, Dave Jones having a party  and charging the prices that were in place when the gaff opened,went on till the next afternoon. ;D

The Cavern is mainly students during the semester. My mate had the door there and it was rammed with students, Thursday thru Monday. Mathew St back when I was up then was boss. The Lennon was another of my mates doors and that was always rammed, especially when the dj had his Jam tribute band on. Nowadays it’s not for Scousers. But it bring shitloads of money into the city.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2023, 07:22:57 pm »
My ma loves to tell me that Cilla took her coat one night and calls her the bifter girl so never mind the Beatles.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #581 on: July 12, 2023, 07:34:44 pm »
Looking forward to the season and back to the supporters club for the prices which make me smile, especially when it is a couple of home games in a row.

My local it's £2.60 a pint [goes up 20p from 7pm Friday to Sunday], everywhere else in my area it's over £3 a pint, with couple over £4 a pint, Hoylake is going to be fun next week when the boozers their jack up their prices as The Open is in town.
#Sausages

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #582 on: July 12, 2023, 07:36:00 pm »
My local it's £2.60 a pint [goes up 20p from 7pm Friday to Sunday], everywhere else in my area it's over £3 a pint, with couple over £4 a pint, Hoylake is going to be fun next week when the boozers their jack up their prices as The Open is in town.

It won't just be Hoylake - West Kirby will cash in as well.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: July 12, 2023, 08:33:45 pm »
It won't just be Hoylake - West Kirby will cash in as well.

My mates sister is getting £10k to rent her house in Hoylake out for 5 days

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #584 on: July 13, 2023, 08:29:39 am »
My mates sister is getting £10k to rent her house in Hoylake out for 5 days

I live close to the Park and Ride for the Open.  I should have rented out my drive for the week - car park is charging £20 per day (i think you do get a discount if you book on line prior to the event) - and apparently you can use the bus to the Open for free, whether you have used the parking facilities or not. 

It's going to be a right pain next week trying to get our of our road in the mornings and early evening - the traffic is gong to be horendous.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #585 on: July 13, 2023, 09:39:20 am »

Daaaamn

I'm used to paying around 4 squid now

Not happy about it
I should be furious about it

You have it good still, have one for me! (maybe not at 9:30 in the morning but whenever it suits  ;D)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #586 on: July 13, 2023, 10:15:31 am »
It’s somewhere between 6 and 7 quid a pint in my nearest pub now. I would say ‘my local’ but there’s a reason why I’ve been there once this year!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: July 13, 2023, 03:23:06 pm »
I live close to the Park and Ride for the Open.  I should have rented out my drive for the week - car park is charging £20 per day (i think you do get a discount if you book on line prior to the event) - and apparently you can use the bus to the Open for free, whether you have used the parking facilities or not. 

It's going to be a right pain next week trying to get our of our road in the mornings and early evening - the traffic is gong to be horendous.

You should still see if you can do it.

I imagine it will be rubbish for you, I know how bad it used to get in Birkdale around the time of the Open.

I got my geography a bit out, its actually West Kirby she lives in - for £10k a week I thought she had a massive house, but its just a standard 1950s 3 bed semi. Its a Japanes e company that are renting, at the previous open it was Pro Golfers and they left a load of signed stuff for her lad as he's well into his golf. She just sods off to a hotel for the week.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #588 on: July 14, 2023, 05:25:05 am »
You should still see if you can do it.

I imagine it will be rubbish for you, I know how bad it used to get in Birkdale around the time of the Open.

I got my geography a bit out, its actually West Kirby she lives in - for £10k a week I thought she had a massive house, but its just a standard 1950s 3 bed semi. Its a Japanes e company that are renting, at the previous open it was Pro Golfers and they left a load of signed stuff for her lad as he's well into his golf. She just sods off to a hotel for the week.

Even after going to a hotel for the week, she'd still be making loads, would have thought £10k is at the cheap end, wouldn't surprise me if some were renting their homes out for £50k for the week.

My local boozer isn't a spoons, yates or one of the other chain boozers[Coach & Horses Moreton, which we call the Bighouse, as it was the Bighouse was a lot larger back in the day, back in the 80s Liverpool players had their end of season party in their one night], has all the sport on too, mates & me say it's the best pint in the area, i have 5 pubs/clubs/bars in my local area 3 more 10 minute walk away
#Sausages