Author Topic: Liverpool Night Clubs - Your first, Worst and Favourite!  (Read 96860 times)

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Re: Liverpool Night Clubs - Your first, Worst and Favourite!
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2017, 01:11:10 pm »
First nights out in town was all Howl at the Moon, Arena bar, RSVP, Chilli's, the Square, all the bad grim places! The Sunrise was the worst of the lot though. Liverpool is a much nicer and more varied place than it was then (around 2000-2004 was the height of night clubbing for me), thankfully.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2017, 09:53:26 pm »
Liverpool is a much nicer and more varied place than it was then

Absolutely. I'm 32 and a lot of people think things are better when they're younger but town is a thousand times better now than it was when I started going out, around the same time as that.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:21 am »
Never really got into going to town as we moved out to Southport when I was 19. Milos in the precinct was a place we hung out in, also did the Pen and Wig and Flintlocks. Used to go into the Krazyhouse after going to see a gig at the Royal Court.

In Southport it used to be the rock nights in the Floral Hall, Manhattans and Academy or Raffles which was owned by the Satans Slaves MCC.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2017, 07:53:47 pm »
I think my first was Chauffers in Hope st..the Wookey Hollow probably the worst & pretty sure i will get slaughtered for this but we used to always have a boss laugh in Maxims.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2017, 04:21:30 am »
Can't remember the name of my first club. I was 16 and just remember getting dragged in there by a female promoter, and it being slightly underground. Was a fun night.

Not a club but my favourite place for a drink in town now is probably Tom Thumb on Hardman street, attracts a decent crowd and has a nice atmosphere.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2017, 07:10:44 am »
The original Factory was round the corner from me so years before the Hacienda opened I was in there as a bright eyed bushy tailed 15 year old marvelling at the wonders of punk and new wave.
Used to come over to Eric's a few years later for Bunnymen and any of the other up and coming bands. Then the hacienda opened and I became a member. Long before madchester they had three or four live events every week. That massive, shitty, sound system on club nights with about 50 people in and plenty of space for the Dancing Tarantulas and the Jazz Messengers to do their thing. Good times - strike that - times.

Worst? Kitkat club by Victoria station. Wtf.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2017, 10:11:22 am »
I've only ever been to 3 club events in Liverpool, all of them in the 90s and all of them disastrous for different reasons.

1st was the 051 in '92/'93 which started off badly as we found out that the BBC cameras were there filming for an Horizon documentary about recreational drug use.  Cue massive paranoia for those worried about their parents seeing them on telly, off their faces.  Then the night was cut short when the club was evacuated due to the dance floor flooding, as in water coming up through the floor to about ankle deep when we were eventually shooed out.

2nd was at Cream where Sasha was headlining.  Didn't like that place at all.  Far too many big burly blokes with pints who looked like they'd chin you for the slightest thing.  Ended up leaving before the main event started.

3rd was at Creamfields.  Ridiculously hot, sunny day queuing for over an hour to get in and I'd never even thought about bringing a hat and consequently ended up with sunstroke by 5.30pm.  Shivering, throwing up, we never even made it into any of the tents apart from St. John's medical tent.  Cost us a fortune to get home as we'd come in by train from Ormskirk and had to leave the event early but too late for the last train home and had to get a cab.

Had a decent night at Cirque du Soul a couple of years ago on a hen night.  Great entertainment and meal but the so called private room with karaoke upstairs later wasn't the best.  The karaoke machine didn't work, the management was pathetic trying to sort it, then they refused to continue serving us prosecco because they'd run out of the right glasses!  Got nearly £300 quid back as a refund but ffs, just wash the glasses!!

My fondest memories of the city were eating out in Chinatown back in the 70s.  None of the posh, pretentious places, just great authentic food.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »

My fondest memories of the city were eating out in Chinatown back in the 70s.  None of the posh, pretentious places, just great authentic food.

That's where my love of Chinese food comes from. I did Karate with my Dad in the Vernon Sangster in Stanley Park and the fellas used to go into town for a meal, which introduced my Dad to Chinese food. He then started taking us out after that, we'd maybe go the pictures at the ABC or Odeon then we'd go into china town for something to eat, that'd be from about 1975/76.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline vladis voice

• Main Stander
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2017, 10:55:37 pm »
First. The Conti...never went back
Best. Macs...indie kid heaven from 88 to 92, honourable mention to heebies
Worst. Ferraris....genuinely the most terrifying place to spend a Friday night (unless drinking warm cans of breaker lager in a war zone is your thing),but I seem to remember ending up there every other week

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #209 on: June 6, 2017, 06:14:11 am »
First club... Cream back in the early/mid 90's. I know it had a reputation for having a few snarlers in there but I went for nearly four years and never saw one bit of trouble. I did see people being removed in unconfortable ways but never fights as such.

Best... Voodoo in the late 90's/early 2000's. Such a good crowd. Fantastic music. Friendships I've kept since then too. Good, no, GREAT time. RIP Sam...

Worst? Probably Arena bar on Concert Square. Kicked off on too many times just waiting for mates to turn up so we could go elsewhere...
'Nuff said...

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #210 on: June 7, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »
To take my mind off the horror that was this afternoons game, I got thinking back to the "the good old days" when things were cheaper, better and people were more friendly...sometimes!

So, my question is this; What was the first night club you frequented, the worst dive you have ever had the misfortune to find yourself in, and the best place in Liverpool (closed or still open).

My offering - the first club I went to with my mates was called Pickwicks which was also known as "Pick-a-dicks"  ;D It was on Fraser Street (I think) by the now coach station and It was a great place full of birds and quite easy to pull - even for a 16 year old like me!

The worst by far was the Buzz in Skelhorne Street - a real dump of a place and always full of kick off merchants, only went twice and that was twice too many!

The best - and many of you may disagree.... The Cabin, Wood Street. Great place, never ever any trouble, completely random music and full of nurses! I admit though, it has gone a bit quieter lately...but still, a real great place!

Other good clubs that we used to go to - The Riverside, Southport, The Montrose (for entertainment value) and who can forget Ferrarri's!!!

Started this thread 8 years ago and pleased to see it still going. My original picks havent changed, except sadly The Cabin has now gone.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #211 on: June 7, 2017, 01:31:31 pm »
Started this thread 8 years ago and pleased to see it still going. My original picks havent changed, except sadly The Cabin has now gone.

Hasn't the Cabin been hipsterised?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #212 on: June 7, 2017, 03:28:13 pm »
Hasn't the Cabin been hipsterised?

I think its on the verge of. Crying shame.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #213 on: June 7, 2017, 04:20:12 pm »
Writing was on the walls for a good few years, sadly, always empty as fuck, despite having the best music mix in town.

Became my go to place after LeBateau bit the bullet.
AHA!

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2017, 03:42:13 pm »

I've only ever been to 3 club events in Liverpool, all of them in the 90s and all of them disastrous for different reasons.

1st was the 051 in '92/'93 which started off badly as we found out that the BBC cameras were there filming for an Horizon documentary about recreational drug use.  Cue massive paranoia for those worried about their parents seeing them on telly..

It was Everyman not Horizon. Two guys called Alan Matthews and Peter McDermott who worked at some drug outreach type gaff on Hope St invited the BBC up to document this new 'way of life'. The main protagonist was a mate of ours and we all went the 051 with the cameras in tow. After the club everyone headed back to Mattys and the production team all had a gary each, funny as fuck. I've tried to find the episode online for years to no avail.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2017, 06:02:03 pm »

It was Everyman not Horizon. Two guys called Alan Matthews and Peter McDermott who worked at some drug outreach type gaff on Hope St invited the BBC up to document this new 'way of life'. The main protagonist was a mate of ours and we all went the 051 with the cameras in tow. After the club everyone headed back to Mattys and the production team all had a gary each, funny as fuck. I've tried to find the episode online for years to no avail.
Isn't this it mate?

BBC Everyman - E is for Ecstasy - Rave Documentary 1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a349t8i3kNE
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2017, 06:10:02 pm »

Wow someone who was there!

What a crazy night that was.  We always wondered if George, one of the lads with us, made it into the film.  I remember him being determined to find the cameras and get their attention.  Spent the whole night gurning at folk, pulling his top up, grabbing his flabby belly and shaking it up and down.  He was a massive fucker too, like 6'7"/8" weighing in at 18st plus. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:24:54 pm by reddebs »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »
Isn't this it mate?

Omg!!!  I'll have to watch that see if I spot any of us that were there.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 11, 2017, 06:40:53 pm »
Omg!!!  I'll have to watch that see if I spot any of us that were there.
I watched it ages ago.

The bit where they go back to the house for a chill out is great, really takes you back.  :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2017, 06:53:29 pm »
I watched it ages ago.

The bit where they go back to the house for a chill out is great, really takes you back.  :)

They were great times, hard to believe it's 25yrs ago.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2017, 04:30:26 pm »
Romeo & Juliets in St johns precinct 1977 - needed to leave early and had a helluva job getting them to stop, let alone reverse, the escalator so we could get out! Todays h&s jobsworths would have a field day

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #221 on: June 13, 2017, 04:50:27 pm »
Romeo & Juliets in St johns precinct 1977 - needed to leave early and had a helluva job getting them to stop, let alone reverse, the escalator so we could get out! Todays h&s jobsworths would have a field day

Used to go in 1969ish when it was the Top Rank and a large disco type effort.

Bizarrely saw Bowie there in Autumn 1972.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:04 pm »
Not really a clubbing fan back then  - but my girlfriend (now wife) insisted - haha- I was more likely to be found up the east lancs with my mates in the Free Trade Hall watching Graham Nash, Jackson Browne or my favourite... Loudon Wainwright III performing Motel Blues

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2017, 11:34:23 pm »
Used to go in 1969ish when it was the Top Rank and a large disco type effort.

Bizarrely saw Bowie there in Autumn 1972.

Mate of mine had a nasty fall on Rotters escalator back in early eighties. Think his Phil oakey haircut didn't help.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:01 am »

Mate of mine had a nasty fall on Rotters escalator back in early eighties. Think his Phil oakey haircut didn't help.

Had some good times in Rotters Scene Two in the early 80s.  :)
Once Rotters S2 bit the dust it was Planet X, Jodys downstairs, Macmillans, Harrington Bar and suchlike. Good times!
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline plums123

• A plum
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2017, 05:16:13 am »
You must have frequented The Gladray? There used to be a stripper there called Gloria, she used to go round with a tin can and ask for money and say when I get enough i'll strip,didn't look much but what a fantastic body when she did, there wouldn't be a limp dick in the place'

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2017, 10:12:27 am »
Had some good times in Rotters Scene Two in the early 80s.  :)
Once Rotters S2 bit the dust it was Planet X, Jodys downstairs, Macmillans, Harrington Bar and suchlike. Good times!
Planet X, Macs, yup - no love though for Mardi Gras?? I still have my membership cards for there ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2017, 10:13:50 am »
I watched it ages ago.

Gonna watch that now!!!!!!!!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2017, 02:16:05 am »
Isn't this it mate?

Iam only a minute or two into watching this and my spar Colin Windever popped up. He's still a good mate to this day . We met through going the match in the late 80's through mutual friends and naturally we ended up in town on the Saturday night.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2017, 02:47:43 pm »
Someone mentioned the Gladray, me and a mate went there one afternoon for out of hours bevvy..we knocked on door and the letter box opened and a voice came out from behind the door " Go away! were being watched!".....was in the Silver Sands one Saturday night , said to my mate dead quiet tonight, the follwing day the Toxteth Riots kicked off!

Suppose my first Club was Erics...not a bad start and went all to the great , good and bad and shite clubs that Liverpool had to offer after that....thing is I cant rememeber the last time I went to a 'club'....with getting older and late night bars not sure I ever had the need.

One memory is wathcing two women having a fight outside The She...not pulling hair or scratching though real Marquess of Queensberry stuff..jabs and uppercuts

What was name of club on opposide of Victoria Street to the She ...I saw Fall there and cant remember...Chicago's?..or maybe began with a P?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2017, 04:52:21 pm »
Planet X, Macs, yup - no love though for Mardi Gras?? I still have my membership cards for there ;D
I never actually went to the Mardi Gras. Was the cliente similar to that at Planet X, Mac's etc?

I still have membership cards knocking around in a drawer somewhere for the Planet.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2017, 05:19:20 pm »
I never actually went to the Mardi Gras. Was the cliente similar to that at Planet X, Mac's etc?

I still have membership cards knocking around in a drawer somewhere for the Planet.  :)
I guess there was always some crossover but Mardi and Macs more than Planet X. I always used to see some of the same faces in Mardi, Macs, Planet and State, sometimes we'd bounce between them on the same night, other nights would be more dedicated to the other places, e.g. I'd go the State on Thursday (cos it was penny to get in haha), and start at the State on a Friday then go Macs or Mardi, preferring Planet X and/or Macs on a Saturday - cos Mardi was rammed and Saturday was Scally Night at The State*

* yesitwasuntilacidhousekickedinsodealwithit ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »
^
Ah, scally night at the state on Saturdays. I remember it well. When Planet X had their Pink Palace nights in Jody's on Stanley Street we'd often run into said scalls in the chippy on Dale Street afterwards. 

We often had run-ins with scallies back then. I remember a night in the Pyramid Club. My mate managed a Bowie/ Goth band who were playing there and we had plenty of friction with scalls following a scally band playing on a different floor. Par for the course in Liverpool back then. Lots of different tribes around in those days.  :)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:57 pm »
Back in the days when curry and chips at 2am became a "modified weapon" in policing parlance ;)

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2017, 10:59:32 pm »
Was there a (night)-club in the basement of the brittania hotel ? it must have been my first as it was around my 18th which we decided to spend on a uk footballing tour..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Online kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
Was there a (night)-club in the basement of the brittania hotel ? it must have been my first as it was around my 18th which we decided to spend on a uk footballing tour..
Yes Saturdays it was called, I vaguely remember it from the about 1986/7.
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:05 pm »
Yes Saturdays it was called, I vaguely remember it from the about 1986/7.
Dire it was too. Never forget the day I found out my geography teacher was one of the bouncers. We ripped the piss out of him at school after that! Was worth getting barred like......terrible place........

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #237 on: November 13, 2017, 11:49:50 pm »
I guess there was always some crossover but Mardi and Macs more than Planet X. I always used to see some of the same faces in Mardi, Macs, Planet and State, sometimes we'd bounce between them on the same night, other nights would be more dedicated to the other places, e.g. I'd go the State on Thursday (cos it was penny to get in haha), and start at the State on a Friday then go Macs or Mardi, preferring Planet X and/or Macs on a Saturday - cos Mardi was rammed and Saturday was Scally Night at The State*

* yesitwasuntilacidhousekickedinsodealwithit ;D

Steve Procter in the state Thursday and the system Saturday, Gary Allen in Macmillans and Hugh Bryder at mardi, we must have crossed paths in those days. The state pre aciiiiiiiiiid, all BAD, the cramps and new order I remember those Thursdays well ( I think). Saturday was strictly scall, weird how we would go Thursday but never Saturday.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:03 am »
Steve Procter in the state Thursday and the system Saturday, Gary Allen in Macmillans and Hugh Bryder at mardi, we must have crossed paths in those days. The state pre aciiiiiiiiiid, all BAD, the cramps and new order I remember those Thursdays well ( I think). Saturday was strictly scall, weird how we would go Thursday but never Saturday.
Deffo crossed paths!!!!!! Acid nights in Macs were boss too - AGCG played there live one night - and when Public Enemy released Don't Believe The Hype, Gary Allen used to kill the sound on the lyric about media assassin Harry Allen so everyone would shout his name instead. Vain twat ;D

Totally forgot about The System!

I do remember trying to run a DJ night there using Fungus The Bogeyman as the catch on the posters and playing weird shit to close the set, like Stingray or the Thunderbirds theme. I lasted one night. It was funny as fuck though :lmao

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2017, 04:52:59 am »
Deffo crossed paths!!!!!! Acid nights in Macs were boss too - AGCG played there live one night - and when Public Enemy released Don't Believe The Hype, Gary Allen used to kill the sound on the lyric about media assassin Harry Allen so everyone would shout his name instead. Vain twat ;D

Totally forgot about The System!

I do remember trying to run a DJ night there using Fungus The Bogeyman as the catch on the posters and playing weird shit to close the set, like Stingray or the Thunderbirds theme. I lasted one night. It was funny as fuck though :lmao

I was a Macs regular, a bit of the Mardi. I remember the fearsome bouncers as well, Griff and Geoff that used to do both doors. Was there a big black bouncer called Lemo at the Mardi as well?

My years in there were from '88-93ish.

I remember the acid house night at Macs, it was on a Thursday I think. It was called "The Room Of Astonishment", they had a cage in the middle of the dance floor. I remember being in there and hearing Baby Ford "Oochy Coochy" for the first time with the strobes on full for about five minutes! I had some boss times in that place, especially Saturday nights with the aforementioned Gary Allan. Red Stripe and Breaker being the bevvies of choice down there.
We are Liverpool!