Author Topic: The Simpsons - The Blurst of thread  (Read 342938 times)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Simpsons - The Blurst of thread
« Reply #2200 on: November 1, 2018, 11:56:21 am »
the BJP and their message of Hindustani pride is so popular

You could call it that I suppose.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #2201 on: November 1, 2018, 11:57:42 am »
China has just banned Hollywood movies without Chinese actors in them, looking forward to India doing the same.

Thought this was sarcasm, but it's dawned on my that you were, in fact, being deadly serious. Dear lord.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2202 on: November 1, 2018, 12:48:37 pm »
Thought this was sarcasm, but it's dawned on my that you were, in fact, being deadly serious. Dear lord.

deadly pyro?

Edit: Dang it, Lobo... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2203 on: November 1, 2018, 01:02:25 pm »
It is clear as day now that the only people who can write stories about us will be us, not even Indian Americans or British Indians and we will slowly exert our influence all over the world just as the RSS has made in roads into American universities. There can be no negotiation on this

Hahahahaha, you lunatic.

I'm Irish. Have you seen how the Simpsons depict Irish people?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2204 on: November 1, 2018, 01:09:16 pm »
Hahahahaha, you lunatic.

'Tis true, you took many a lump, but twas all in good fun!
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: November 1, 2018, 01:10:05 pm »
deadly pyro?

Yeah, you're gonna have to explain that in joke to me.
Stan Laurel

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2206 on: November 1, 2018, 01:45:54 pm »
'Tis true, you took many a lump, but twas all in good fun!

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2207 on: November 1, 2018, 01:57:13 pm »
Hahahahaha, you lunatic.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2208 on: November 1, 2018, 02:03:46 pm »
Hahahahaha, you lunatic.

Indeed. 'All this drinking, violence and destruction on St. Patrick's Day - is that really all we think of when we think of the Irish?'.

But they're right about the Scots. Literally every single Scottish person videotapes couples in cars. But in this country, it makes you look like a pervert.

Anywho, Simpsons EP Al Jean said there's no truth to the story about Apu being dropped.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2209 on: November 1, 2018, 02:09:24 pm »
Indeed. 'All this drinking, violence and destruction on St. Patrick's Day - is that really all we think of when we think of the Irish?'.

But they're right about the Scots. Literally every single Scottish person videotapes couples in cars. But in this country, it makes you look like a pervert.

Anywho, Simpsons EP Al Jean said there's no truth to the story about Apu being dropped.
Plus Scots and other Scots are natural enemies. Damn Scots. They ruined Scotland.

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2210 on: November 1, 2018, 02:16:41 pm »
Plus Scots and other Scots are natural enemies. Damn Scots. They ruined Scotland.

Where do you hail from?

I'm from North Kiltown! D'ya know Angus McCloud?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: November 1, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »
Where do you hail from?

I'm from North Kiltown! D'ya know Angus McCloud?
There's no Angus McCloud in North Kiltown!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2212 on: November 1, 2018, 02:24:59 pm »
Saw the little miss Springfield one on Sunday. The clip of Barney crashing the duff blimp is hilarious
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2213 on: November 1, 2018, 03:13:38 pm »
Billy: Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins
Homer: Homer Simpson, smiling politely

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2214 on: November 1, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »
deadly pyro?

Clocked this one early  8)

What do I win?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2215 on: November 1, 2018, 04:38:55 pm »
Clocked this one early  8)

What do I win?

Apart from the duty to explain the gag to Iamnant, Not Necessarily Adam?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2216 on: November 1, 2018, 04:40:31 pm »

Is that his new profile?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2217 on: November 1, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »
The mods were kind enough to misread my username and decided to put "...call me Adam" underneath, which I always forget is there.

But I can gather the in joke is just going to continue, so I'm just gonna guess it was absolutely brilliant and laugh to myself.
Stan Laurel

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2218 on: November 1, 2018, 05:02:38 pm »
The mods were kind enough to misread my username and decided to put "...call me Adam" underneath, which I always forget is there.

But I can gather the in joke is just going to continue, so I'm just gonna guess it was absolutely brilliant and laugh to myself.

Superbly charitable on your part... :wave

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: November 1, 2018, 07:04:04 pm »
Superbly charitable on your part... :wave
Just the kind of guy I am mate. All about the giving.

(I want to do the Always Sunny "philanthropist" quote, but I imagine it wouldn't go down well to everyone who doesn't watch the show!)
Stan Laurel

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: November 1, 2018, 07:53:54 pm »
Who is this fucking tool complaining about Apu and who died and made him spokesman for the 1.2 billion Indians on the planet because I didn’t receive a voting card, and if I did I wouldn’t vote for that fuckwit. What’s next, Rupert Murdoch is upset about the portrayal of billionaires in Mr Burns?

And is is a stereotype if it’s true? Because when the show first started, a lot of Indians did own stores and like anyone who owns their own business they don’t like taking days off, they do talk with an accent and a lot of them work with their brothers. It’s nothing new, it’s a well trodden path by immigrants across the world and isn’t something we should be ashamed of or try and hide. It’s what makes us what we are.

I do agree that I never found Apu offensive. For one thing, when The Simpsons was in its heyday, there weren't that many Indians on TV and heck, the episode when he goes to live with the Simpsons (who needs a Kwik-E-Mart) and they're watching an actual Hindi film on TV, the characters are actually speaking Hindi. As for him being played by a white guy, The Simpsons started 30 years ago for one and it also has a small regular cast who do numerous characters, it's no surprise he was played by one of the principal members of the cast. If it were a live action show and an actor had browned up for it, then I suppose it'd be different. The other thing is that to me, he's just one of dozens of characters in the show that just exist, not to be taken the piss out of (there's others for that) but just part of Springfield. It's not exactly Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's territory.

Saying that, I was never bullied at school being called Apu, I can't imagine he has a much affection for the character as a result. Yeah, he doesn't speak for me but I can understand his feelings about the character. Given the decline of quality in the show and the fact I haven't watched any new episodes for years, it doesn't bother me that he's being retired. The wider issue about 'offensive' characters that some people find offensive is difficult, for one, it's subjective and I personally think there shouldn't be that many boundaries (and I agree with Cate Blanchett about actors not only playing roles that fit their experience) but again, it's so subjective that no one's ever gonna agree. Personally, I don't think censoring characters some people find offensive is the right way to go (within certain boundaries of course).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2221 on: November 1, 2018, 08:55:21 pm »
Quote from: JerseyKloppite

You might not like that he was lauded for his voice work, but clearly it was respected and admired, and to suggest that because of attitudes now that he should not have undertaken the work at the time is farcical. The voicework is not malicious or intentionally offensive, however poor you may find the impression.

Admired by whom? Americans? The same people who admired 'blackface'? Excuse me if I don't take their opinions too seriously

When hank auditioned the producers asked him to make the accent as offensive as possible and this is on record.

Hank deserves the same treatment as wendy donniger and its only a matter of time before he gets it

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2222 on: November 1, 2018, 09:04:32 pm »
Aren't you British? So not sure why you're getting wound up over an American who took issue to this character or speaking for 1.2 billion Indians I do not know.

The interpretation of this character is also hilarious. Most of the other accents are on point but his is ridiculously over exaggerated. Which Indian speaks like that - a Malyali maybe but even that is pushing it and there aren't many Malyalis in Los Angeles.

I once had a White British girl tell me my accent was 'attractive' for an Indian. She didn't understand why I just walked off. Had another Canadian tell me they learnt so much about Hindu culture from Apu.
Lol, baffling people.

It is clear as day now that the only people who can write stories about us will be us, not even Indian Americans or British Indians and we will slowly exert our influence all over the world just as the RSS has made in roads into American universities. There can be no negotiation on this

I’m a British Indian, both parents from India.

Yes, the accent is silly - no one is pretending it’s not but as for the other accents, Groundskeeper Willie is no better or the other occasional Asian characters (Far Eastern that is), it’s a light hearted show it’s not pretending to be real life. It’s cartoon.

Not sure what the rest of your rambling is about.

Not sure what the RSS have got to do with anything but silly little men in khaki shorts won’t change anything outside of India fortunately.

PS Fuck the RSS
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #2223 on: November 1, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »
I’ve watched many an episode where they pretty much stereotype most countries.

I remember one episode where they highlight every English person as having bad teeth. Am I offended by that as an Englishman? not in the slightest. Am I offended by their poor attempt at an English accent? nope. If anything, it makes me laugh.

The world in 2018 is far too sensitive for its own good.

“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2224 on: November 1, 2018, 09:19:38 pm »
I’m a British Indian, both parents from India.

Yes, the accent is silly - no one is pretending it’s not but as for the other accents, Groundskeeper Willie is no better or the other occasional Asian characters (Far Eastern that is), it’s a light hearted show it’s not pretending to be real life. It’s cartoon.

Not sure what the rest of your rambling is about.

Not sure what the RSS have got to do with anything but silly little men in khaki shorts won’t change anything outside of India fortunately.

PS Fuck the RSS

So you're not Indian who the character is nor Indian American who this affects? Wind your neck in then

Those silly little men in khaki shorts have become strong enough to alter textbooks in california to depict the truth rather than western propaganda after all these years. As Indias economy and geopolitical importance continues to rise so will their ideas and influence.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2225 on: November 1, 2018, 09:20:57 pm »
I’ve watched many an episode where they pretty much stereotype most countries.

I remember one episode where they highlight every English person as having bad teeth. Am I offended by that as an Englishman? not in the slightest. Am I offended by their poor attempt at an English accent? nope. If anything, it makes me laugh.

The world in 2018 is far too sensitive for its own good.

The bloke who started the whole campaign was just looking for 5 minutes of fame and something to get offended about.

Unfortunately Indian society has become increasingly nationalistic and people like straw hat pirate get very offend by anything that doesn’t show India or Indians in a positive light or how they see themselves.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: November 1, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »
Admired by whom? Americans? The same people who admired 'blackface'? Excuse me if I don't take their opinions too seriously

I agree that we should ignore the West on this topic and learn from India with regards to how to treat minorities, maybe we could enforce some sort of system where certain people are marked out as backwards and "untouchable", as this would definitely cause less trouble than a voice actor portraying someone from a different race.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: November 1, 2018, 09:36:19 pm »
So you're not Indian who the character is nor Indian American who this affects? Wind your neck in then

Those silly little men in khaki shorts have become strong enough to alter textbooks in california to depict the truth rather than western propaganda after all these years. As Indias economy and geopolitical importance continues to rise so will their ideas and influence.

Wind my neck in? You realise most of the people on this forum live in Britain right? And guess what, we get to watch the Simpsons too.

The silly little men in khaki shorts won a legal case. That’s what happens in a democracy. India could learn from that, especially when it comes to textbooks.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: November 1, 2018, 09:47:07 pm »
Partition and Independence happened, the Constitution was written, article 15 includes bit about not discriminating against caste.

Indians have all abolished that way of thinking and everyone gets along, the caste based discrimination reported in Indian society today is merely an evil ploy by Western imperialists. Pranay Kumar was murdered by the CIA.

« Last Edit: November 1, 2018, 09:49:36 pm by J_Kopite »

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #2229 on: November 1, 2018, 09:52:56 pm »
I give this thread 10 more posts max before it gets locked  :butt
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: November 1, 2018, 10:02:27 pm »
Ah yes the BRITISHER is now an expert on all things Indian happy to explain things to his white brethren all based on his childhood trips to the motherland and some BBC articles.

Dudes a walking talking stereotype of an NRI. Thats a stereotype I would pay to see get ripped apart lol

First of all, you have no idea how ‘Indian’ I am or am not, and guess what... you don’t fucking get to decide it. And i’d take anyone, white or any other colour as my brethren over the likes of the RSS, BJP, VHP or any other right wing Indian nationalists.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: November 1, 2018, 10:04:29 pm »
Like I said, typical western arrogance and ignorance

Your the Russian trainer from Rocky 4 and I claim my 5 rupees.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2232 on: November 1, 2018, 10:11:39 pm »
Absolutely, as he should. In fact he should be sacked without having a job ever again. A white man playing an Indian mans voice which isn't even accurate. How bloody ridiculous and typical western nonsense

Thank you, come again.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: November 1, 2018, 10:14:42 pm »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2234 on: November 1, 2018, 10:16:07 pm »

You just insulted all Americans in your argument about racism you daft sausage.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: November 1, 2018, 10:16:43 pm »
I give this thread 10 more posts max before it gets locked  :butt

I'm quite enjoying the ding dong between West London Red and Straw hat pirate. West London Red's posts have heart but football in the groin had a football in the groin.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: November 1, 2018, 10:21:08 pm »
Aren't you British? So not sure why you're getting wound up over an American who took issue to this character or speaking for 1.2 billion Indians I do not know.

The interpretation of this character is also hilarious. Most of the other accents are on point but his is ridiculously over exaggerated. Which Indian speaks like that - a Malyali maybe but even that is pushing it and there aren't many Malyalis in Los Angeles.

I once had a White British girl tell me my accent was 'attractive' for an Indian. She didn't understand why I just walked off. Had another Canadian tell me they learnt so much about Hindu culture from Apu.
Lol, baffling people.

Absolutely, as he should. In fact he should be sacked without having a job ever again. A white man playing an Indian mans voice which isn't even accurate. How bloody ridiculous and typical western nonsense

:lmao
« Last Edit: November 1, 2018, 10:22:42 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2237 on: November 1, 2018, 10:23:50 pm »
« Last Edit: November 1, 2018, 10:28:08 pm by Chakan »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: November 1, 2018, 10:27:22 pm »
By the many arms of vishnu I swear this is a lie.

The boys to entertain you.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: November 1, 2018, 10:27:25 pm »
What happened to you India? You used to be cool.