Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586973 times)

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8320 on: December 4, 2022, 02:25:45 pm »
Just about to start War and Peace. Been putting it off for a few months because of the size but I know I’ll love it. I’ll revert in 12 months when I get around to finishing it!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8321 on: December 8, 2022, 08:02:59 am »
Up to year 2015 in the Alan Rickman diaries, Madly, Deeply. Absolutely fascinating insight into his world. And, of course, you read it in his voice the whole way through. He really burnt the candle at both ends - I wouldn’t have been able to do his schedule in my 20s, never mind what he managed in his 60s.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #8322 on: December 8, 2022, 04:32:41 pm »
The Long Goodbye, Raymond Chandler

Plot twists, prose zings .

Surprised by Marlowe (/Chandler's) contempt for cops.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8323 on: December 9, 2022, 11:11:39 am »
The Long Goodbye, Raymond Chandler

Plot twists, prose zings .

Surprised by Marlowe (/Chandler's) contempt for cops.

Has your edition had the old school racism edited out?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #8324 on: December 9, 2022, 11:37:00 am »
No I got the special MAGA edition with extra -isms added.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8325 on: December 9, 2022, 02:37:38 pm »
No I got the special MAGA edition with extra -isms added.

Excellent! Stick to your principles 😛

Cracking book, different times etc though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8326 on: December 9, 2022, 03:48:29 pm »
Still reading "Memories of Ice" - feels like I've been reading it for 20 years at this stage.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8327 on: December 9, 2022, 09:21:10 pm »
Interview with a Vampire, for the umpteenth time
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8328 on: December 12, 2022, 11:30:17 am »
Interview with a Vampire, for the umpteenth time

I read that for the first time recently, enjoyable.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #8329 on: December 12, 2022, 05:42:21 pm »
Rather enjoying Cultes des Goules by Comte d'Erlette although there is something uncanny about the leather binding and it seems that my sleep does not rest me.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8330 on: December 12, 2022, 06:10:42 pm »
I read that for the first time recently, enjoyable.

the second book Lestat is much better (best in the chronicles for me) and i highly recommend it - after that you have a good sense of Rice's writing and main characters in the chronicles and whether to carry on with them or kick them to the curb for your own tastes is pretty easy then based on the first two
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8331 on: December 22, 2022, 11:54:59 am »
I thought I’d read a few classics. 

I’m currently reading pride and prejudice..  The writing is sensational, and it’s so much more subtle than tv adaptations or films ….
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8332 on: December 22, 2022, 02:29:21 pm »
I thought I’d read a few classics. 

I’m currently reading pride and prejudice..  The writing is sensational, and it’s so much more subtle than tv adaptations or films ….

I dunno, I'm a massive fan of the BBC series with Jennifer Ehle but the movie with Keira Knightly is a bucket of shit.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8333 on: December 22, 2022, 03:10:28 pm »
Just finished Sea People by Christina Thompson.

A book about the expansion of humans throughout Polynesia. Visited New Zealand a few years ago and was interested to read a bit more about the subject. Interesting to see how radiocarbon dating has helped the field massively as so much was previously based on oral history which is notoriously unreliable.

I find it very interesting that New Zealand is one of the last places on earth colonised by humankind (only around 700 years ago).

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8334 on: December 22, 2022, 04:21:51 pm »
Finally finished Memories of Ice.

Was going to read the next one, but wow do they take time to read.

I have been keeping a log of books I've read (Including short stories) as I've read so many books so many times again and again that I forget what I have read.

So I have plenty of older books that I wanted to get around to (many for the second or more times) - so will have a look at some of those. Loads of great classical novels and shorter readings :)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #8335 on: December 22, 2022, 10:59:54 pm »
Rather enjoying Cultes des Goules by Comte d'Erlette although there is something uncanny about the leather binding and it seems that my sleep does not rest me.

Sounds like one of the grimoires Charles Dexter Ward would have consulted in his quest to resurrect his evil ancestor Joseph Curwen.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #8336 on: December 23, 2022, 11:31:27 am »
Purchased from Louis Gold & Sons Antiquarian Booksellers, Caissonsville. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8337 on: December 23, 2022, 01:03:30 pm »
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8338 on: December 30, 2022, 11:00:42 pm »
Started Stephen King's Fairy Tale on Audiobook this afternoon, about 2 hours in which felt like 30 mins flew by, I have a feeling I'm gonna love it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #8339 on: December 31, 2022, 01:38:00 pm »
Just finished listening to ‘Project Hail Mary’ by Andy Weir on audiobook.
Loved it!  If you liked The Martian (another Andy Weir book) then you’ll love this it was particularly well narrated too. I’ve often been let down badly on audible with some poor narration which hasn’t done a book justice, but when you get a great story read very well, then it’s a joy.
Would recommend this one for those who haven’t read it
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 01:39:47 pm by Red Ol »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #8340 on: December 31, 2022, 07:10:18 pm »
Carnival of Snackery.
Not as good as the first diaries but still great.
I use the audiobooks to fall asleep to. He has a sleepy voice.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8341 on: January 8, 2023, 10:53:48 pm »
Just finished listening to ‘Project Hail Mary’ by Andy Weir on audiobook.
Loved it!  If you liked The Martian (another Andy Weir book) then you’ll love this it was particularly well narrated too. I’ve often been let down badly on audible with some poor narration which hasn’t done a book justice, but when you get a great story read very well, then it’s a joy.
Would recommend this one for those who haven’t read it

I’ve read the Martian and Artemis. I like his stories but his main characters always irritate me. I avoided the Martian film for so long because I couldn’t fathom how they could make Mark likeable - the one-dimensional, wisecracking was bordering on sociopathy and really grated on me. Kudos to Matt Damon for creating a compelling character out of that.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2023, 10:59:37 pm by thejbs »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8342 on: January 9, 2023, 09:09:04 pm »
I’m reading Churchill My Early Life.

Churchill is not at all what I was expecting, I have to say, hugely self deprecating in a way I hadn’t anticipated
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8343 on: January 11, 2023, 01:31:59 pm »
It sounds as if the last Book of Dust will be published this year, around September according to Philip Pullman. I am so intrigued to know how he will tie all the ends together, say nothing of whether some of the hints from the original trilogy, will end up coming true. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8344 on: January 11, 2023, 01:56:33 pm »
M.R. James “Ghost Stories”.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8345 on: January 11, 2023, 06:50:54 pm »
It sounds as if the last Book of Dust will be published this year, around September according to Philip Pullman. I am so intrigued to know how he will tie all the ends together, say nothing of whether some of the hints from the original trilogy, will end up coming true.

Ah brilliant!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8346 on: January 11, 2023, 08:28:10 pm »
Carnival of Snackery.
Not as good as the first diaries but still great.
I use the audiobooks to fall asleep to. He has a sleepy voice.
Haven’t read his diaries.

Are they all pretty humorous, or is it more like a straightforward journal? I actually would prefer the latter. I guess what I’m saying is, do you get the feeling it was written with the knowledge it would one day be published?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8347 on: January 12, 2023, 12:34:54 am »
Reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens

I enjoyed Treasure Island - years since I read that. Cracking tale of the high sea, adventure and buried treasure!  Yar!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8348 on: January 12, 2023, 06:53:55 am »

I enjoyed Treasure Island - years since I read that. Cracking tale of the high sea, adventure and buried treasure!  Yar!

Recently read a prequel John Silver trilogy by John Drake and absolutely loved it if you hadnt heard of it.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/d/john-drake/john-silver/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8349 on: January 12, 2023, 01:44:09 pm »
Recently read a prequel John Silver trilogy by John Drake and absolutely loved it if you hadnt heard of it.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/d/john-drake/john-silver/

Nice will take a look cheers :)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8350 on: January 12, 2023, 02:23:48 pm »
Just finished The Escape Artist by Jonathan Freedland.

All about Rudolf Vrba's escape from Auschwitz at the height of the holocaust. Heavy subject but a good read.

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
« Reply #8351 on: January 12, 2023, 08:53:10 pm »

A Brilliant Book and so relavent today

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #8352 on: January 13, 2023, 07:12:47 am »
Haven’t read his diaries.

Are they all pretty humorous, or is it more like a straightforward journal? I actually would prefer the latter. I guess what I’m saying is, do you get the feeling it was written with the knowledge it would one day be published?

Definitely the first one doesn’t feel like that, you very much get the journey of him being confused, skint, stoned and living a pretty basic/hardy lifestyle in 80’s downtown America (the I-hop years) - through to the early years of recognition. Very much a journal with amusing day to day observations. Sometimes in the second one it does feel a little bit written to be published here and there but it’s still enjoyable - the actual audiobook isn’t as good as he has Tracy Ullman reading all the bits in England for some bizarre reason.
Definitely read the first, it’s probably my favourite actual book of his and I’ve read most of them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 07:15:41 am by meady1981 »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8353 on: February 5, 2023, 10:35:41 pm »
Finished the new book on Colditz…. It’s ok, but you’re better off reading one of the first hand accounts which it takes its material from.

Now reading the escape artist by Jonathan Freedland…. The true sorry of a prisoner in Auschwitz who escapes, tells the world what is happening…and then nothing is done about it..

It’s very hard going at times, the subject matter is (understandably and correctly) utterly horrific. It’s still hard to imagine this really happened, how could this happen…?

W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8354 on: February 17, 2023, 06:32:00 pm »
Finished a book called 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter' by Carson McCullers. She's an American writer and the book was written in the 1940s, set in the American South and deals with racism, class difference and centers around a mute.

I really enjoyed it and thought it was incredible that she wrote it when she was 22! It's very profound and the characters are excellently crafted. Quite strange as well.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8355 on: February 23, 2023, 12:23:29 am »
Been reading my old John Wyndham novels again.

Have re-read The Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos, and The Chrysalids over the past couple of weeks.

Love old sci-fi, particularly Wyndham. Forgot how good the story telling is - they’re fantastic books.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8356 on: February 23, 2023, 06:54:03 am »

Have re-read The Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos, and The Chrysalids over the past couple of weeks.

Love old sci-fi, particularly Wyndham. Forgot how good the story telling is - they’re fantastic books.

Not really related to old sci-fi. But have you tried Andrew Shanahans Before and After books? There are currently 2 of them and they really are great storytelling. First one is about a house bound lad who is trapped inside with his dog while the world suffers a biological nightmare. Can really recommend them.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8357 on: February 23, 2023, 11:14:28 am »

I hated the Chrysalids when I did it in school just something I couldn’t get into. Books are strange though, I loved Mice and Men yet disliked the Pearl which were both written by John Steinbeck.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8358 on: February 24, 2023, 07:44:17 pm »
Been reading The Second World War by Anthony Beevor since Christmas. It's a fucking mammoth tome so it is. Very interesting though, some of the stuff the Japanese army in particular got up to was just insane.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8359 on: February 28, 2023, 11:57:17 pm »
Finished Strong Female character by the Scottish comedian Fern Brady

A quite startling  book about how hard it is for autistic women to get by in the world. A hard read in places due to the dreadful way she was treated, but also hugely informative about what it’s like to live life with autism.

Highly recommended!
W