Author Topic: Diving with an ear infection - any doctors/ear experts opinions would be welcome  (Read 720 times)

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I’m currently on holiday in the Maldives and my wife and I had booked to go scuba diving tomorrow. She has now come down with an ear infection and has been advised by the doctor that she now cannot dive (meaning I will need to go without her as they will only refund her fee as she is the one with the medical condition).

She’s absolutely desperate to go (more so than me) and has been trying to find out essentially what the risk is of going diving with an ear infection (ie what’s the worst that could happen) - her rationale being partly based on the fact that she has a history of ear infections and has previously gone swimming etc even though she had been advised against it and has suffered no adverse effects (my thoughts are that diving would pose significantly more of a risk due to the pressure involved etc but that’s purely a guess on my part as I have no medical knowledge).

Clearly my advice to her is to listen to the doctor and not do it but she’s been trying to clarify what the worst case scenario is if she did do it (and if that scenario is particularly unpleasant, what the chances are of it materialising,) she has no pain currently (although did previously) but has a feeling of discomfort and ‘fogginess’ in the ear.

As I’ve said above, I’ve told her whatever it is there’s presumably a chance of permanent damage essentially meaning she may have issues for life and/or never be able to go diving but she’s somewhat adamant to find out the risk with it being so rare that you get an opportunity to dive in the Maldives so I thought I’d reach out on here to check whether anyone can add anything.

I’m fairly sure I know the answer but it would be worth having it confirmed to at least put the matter to bed if nothing else.

Thanks.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I have been in the exact same situation in Philippines, we dived anyway and the pain levels went from bad to terrible.
I am categorically NOT saying that this is worst case scenario, but it took 2 days off our holiday where I was in too much pain to do anything but lie on the bed and wait for the antibiotics to do their thing.  In hindsight I would have done things differently.

I would advise the following. The cost of diving compared with that of a holiday in the Maldives is fuck all. Get her refund and both of you dont go until she's better and then both go together.  Diving with your partner is infinitely better than on your own. 

Good luck.  Its fucking baltic, I wish I was in The Maldives  :wave

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
While she may be able to equalize on the way down (a big if!) the lower you go the higher the pressure, the more chance an ear infection wil come into play and the more chance of something to go wrong. A burst ear drum is the least of the worries as if this happens you now how have incredible pain and a panicky diver 60-100f down to deal with.

There’s a very valid reason the doctor has said don’t go diving with an ear infection. The possibility to snowball issues is quite high.

The situation sucks, and I’m sorry it happened to you guys but rather safe than sorry in this situation.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the replies - decision has been made that I will go alone (with an instructor) and we will arrange to do it again together once she’s had chance to hopefully get some medical advice on how to mitigate this in future (as I say she has sensitive ears so it’s not an isolated issue).

To come back in Chakan’s point - the dive is only 12 metres (so about 40ft, so not as deep as the 60-100ft you’re quoting, presumably as it’s our first time diving, but I appreciate the point nonetheless and assume it is still valid at the reduced depth.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
No problem, the biggest pressure change in diving is the first 10 meters, unless you are going really really deep. But yeah the point still stands.

Take her snorkeling! That should be something she could still do. I’m not sure about the Maldives but I know Bali had a ton of places where you wouldn’t need scuba gear, just fins and snorkel to see some great coral and fish

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
I think you've made a wise decision. We only snorkel so I'm no expert, but I don't think it's wise to dive with ear problems. A quick Google seems to back this up.

I remember flying with an ear infection once. Just the pressure change when we were landing was extremely painful. I'd hate to have experienced that ten metres down.

Hopefully, if you have enough time left in your holiday, you can both rearrange and dive together later on after treatment.

We will be going to the Maldives next March and are hoping to swim with whale sharks and manta rays.

Enjoy your stay. Hopefully you can get to dive together soon. From what I've seen online, the house reefs are great to snorkel in the meantime. I always snorkel with earplugs in after my ears filled with water once and I couldn't hear in my left ear for days.

All the best. 🌞🐳🐟🍹🌴
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I had ear infections and perforations in both ears, when i asked the consultant about my plans to do a dive , he emphatically told me 'do not do it'.
That was quite a few years ago and i'm still advised not to dive as the risk just isnt worth it

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
Absolutely, categorically do not dive with an ear infection. The pain would be unbelievable and as someone else said the pressure changes most at the beginning of the dive, especially if you are not used to equalising properly. With the water clarity in the Maldives its likely that a dive to 12m would not give you much more than snorkelling anyway.

For context I completed my Open water course 7 years ago, have done another 60 odd dives since and plan on going advanced next year in Egypt to dive the SS Thistlegorm.

Diving if you do it wrong is a really good way of causing yourself serious problems or worse!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Having had an ear problem on holiday recently, I would advise you not to do it

Her long term health is far, far, far more important and you don't mess with your ears as it can very easily turn into a long term life-changing impact

Just don't.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rush7V

• Kemlynite
I'm a BSAC Advanced Diver and Instructor - Do NOT, no matter how much you want to, dive with an ear infection, it will be horrifically sore and not to mention the damage if the ear drum pops - chances are if this happens, the plane journey home won't be happening either (Pressurised cabin etc)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
With the water clarity in the Maldives its likely that a dive to 12m would not give you much more than snorkelling anyway.

My thoughts too.

I'm just a few weeks back from the Maldives myself and Snorkelling was more than enough for us.  Not saying you shouldn't go SCUBA diving of course.  But at least Mrs JM55 can still enjoy the spectacular marine life.

Even with an ear infection I'm still envious of you being out there :)

Whereabouts are you btw?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Take any ear problems so, so seriously.

I am effectively deaf in one ear - happened when I was a 8/9 years old maybe, ear drum burst one evening and then the problems escalated over the years - perforations, cholesteatoma, bone eroisions etc... We think it was caused by many infections over time picked up swimming. About 12 operations and 20 odd years later, I'm still plagued with ear infections every 5-6 months, it is not worth risking the health of your ears. Balance is also not the best.