Author Topic: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion  (Read 18633 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion
« on: August 6, 2022, 06:13:53 pm »

Shamelessly copied from Lastrador's excellent 90's draft, welcome to the next instalment of RAWK's fun series of movie drafts.

Congratulations to Nicholls on his victory in the 90's draft, a well deserved victory. But unfortunately, no time to bask in that as we move onto the 1980's version.

The draft

- Snake format draft.

- Every movie released from 1980 to 1989 is eligible.

- Start times are 10.00am to 11.00pm UK time.

- 2 hours per pick for the first round. 2 hour per pick after the first round but I don't want to be too strict on this.

- Every drafter will have to pick 9 films and state into which one of these categories it falls:

Cat 1. Action/War/Western
Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy
Cat 4. Drama/Romance
Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical
Cat 6. Horror
Cat 7. Sci-Fi
Cat 8. Animation/Family
Cat 9. Wildcard (pick whatever you like)

- I know it's pretty obvious but, only one pick per category and all eight of them have to be completed.

- The genre chosen for the film, must be present on its https://letterboxd.com/ page to be valid.

Example: The Godfather: https://letterboxd.com/film/the-godfather/genres/

In this example, you can choose either drama or crime, but you can't put it on thriller as it's not one of the genres covered.

- Besides the different categories, the drafters will also have to fulfil the following quotas and regulations:

* 5 different years must be represented.
* At least 1 film with a female lead/co-lead.
* Only 1 movie per director.
* No repeated lead actors.

I recommend using letterboxd.com to do your research. It’s an incredibly comprehensive and user-friendly movie database/social media. You can search movies by filtering by decade, year, genre, rating, etc. There are some great lists too, that you can also filter by decade.

That's all I can think of, as of now. Happy to discuss and change any of the different categories and regulations.

https://letterboxd.com/films/decade/1980s/

In:
Hazell
Samie
tubby
Lastrador
red mongoose
Chakan
Nicholls
El Lobo
Musketeer Gripweed
Betty Blue
Crosby Nick
dis_1
Max Powers
vivabobbygraham
Sheer Magnetism

PICK ORDER:

TBD
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:13:31 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2022, 06:14:37 pm »
I've copied the above from Las's OP but some thoughts about changes to this draft are below.

- The blockbuster limits will need to be changed to adjust for inflation
- Thoughts on the indie/foreign/animation selections. First thoughts are they might be more difficult to fill for this decade?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 06:16:39 pm by Hazell »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2022, 06:17:22 pm »
yes plz

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2022, 06:44:19 pm »
Of course
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2022, 06:45:47 pm »
Remove "Blockbuster" from the catgories for this decade and 70's in future.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2022, 06:46:02 pm »
I've copied the above from Las's OP but some thoughts about changes to this draft are below.

- The blockbuster limits will need to be changed to adjust for inflation
- Thoughts on the indie/foreign/animation selections. First thoughts are they might be more difficult to fill for this decade?

I'm in.

I would keep the categories as is, but possibly scrap both the high- and low-budget demands. It will be harder to find the info, the budgets hadn't exploded yet, and the idea of "low budgets" was really born in the 90s and doesn't have much of a presence in the 80s, if you know what I mean.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2022, 06:53:16 pm »
Go on then

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2022, 06:56:48 pm »

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2022, 07:05:13 pm »
I'm in.

I would keep the categories as is, but possibly scrap both the high- and low-budget demands. It will be harder to find the info, the budgets hadn't exploded yet, and the idea of "low budgets" was really born in the 90s and doesn't have much of a presence in the 80s, if you know what I mean.

So you mean remove the blockbuster category?

Also, are there many indie/foreign/animation films that people can pick? I feel those ones would be a stretch.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 6, 2022, 07:20:51 pm »
So you mean remove the blockbuster category?

Also, are there many indie/foreign/animation films that people can pick? I feel those ones would be a stretch.

Not many "indie," but loads of the others, especially if we leave animation with family as a pair to choose from.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2022, 07:27:20 pm »

Well known foreign language films feel threadbare in the 80s. I'd suggest either scrapping it or maybe trading it for having a female lead/co-lead.

Animation isn't too strong, but family films were huge in the 80s. So that category should be fine.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2022, 07:32:52 pm »
You could lose the foreign language for me as well. Not even looked at any selections yet, but it was hard to get enough of the truly great thriller an crime movies in. Perhaps that could be split as well?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: August 6, 2022, 07:34:28 pm »
G’wan then.

Look forward to Lobo picking Jaws 4 and claiming it to be the best of the franchise.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 6, 2022, 07:35:32 pm »
Female Lead is a good one.

Online red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2022, 07:43:05 pm »

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 6, 2022, 07:49:40 pm »
Ok, so scrap the foreign/indie/blockbuster ones and add a female lead/co-lead category?

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #16 on: August 6, 2022, 07:53:43 pm »
IN if room :)

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 6, 2022, 07:57:08 pm »
IN if room :)

Always room mate. Luckily like 2005, we don't have to make a any difficult decisions on whether to let the defending champion enter the competition.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 6, 2022, 08:38:31 pm »
What about having at least one British movie?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #19 on: August 6, 2022, 10:30:21 pm »
Thanks for setting things up Haz. Agree on all changes proposed.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #20 on: August 6, 2022, 10:32:40 pm »
G’wan then.

Look forward to Lobo picking Jaws 4 and claiming it to be the best of the franchise.

If Betty reveals himself to be a big Michael Caine fan, then it’s in
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 6, 2022, 11:19:04 pm »
What about having at least one British movie?

Hmmm, not sure about this. I'd rather leave it open but happy to go along with it if the majority want.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 6, 2022, 11:19:45 pm »
Thanks for setting things up Haz. Agree on all changes proposed.

No worries mate, looking to start on Monday morning if everyone's ok with that?

Online red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 6, 2022, 11:25:58 pm »
Hmmm, not sure about this. I'd rather leave it open but happy to go along with it if the majority want.

I'd rather leave it open, too.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: August 6, 2022, 11:31:06 pm »
good to be in again if poss

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: August 6, 2022, 11:31:45 pm »
In

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #26 on: August 7, 2022, 10:26:27 am »
Yep
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 7, 2022, 01:37:22 pm »
Sound. I think we have 15 so one more and we can kick things off if everyone is happy with the rules. I can set up the selection thread today but we can start officially tomorrow

Online red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 7, 2022, 01:47:17 pm »
Sound. I think we have 15 so one more and we can kick things off if everyone is happy with the rules. I can set up the selection thread today but we can start officially tomorrow

The one thing I would ask is if we could be a bit more flexible in the morning with the clock for those of us out of the country, at least for the first three or four rounds. I don't know that we need to be in a huge hurry anyway, and it wouldn't waste much time to get started a little later when those of us wums come up in the morning. It's no problem leaving our picks with someone, but often you have to react to what has been picked just before you.

If everyone is against it that's fine - I don't want to hold us up or anything.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: August 7, 2022, 01:50:10 pm »
Also I’m on holiday next week and not planning on getting up til about 10am most days so be sure to take that into consideration. Thanking you.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 7, 2022, 01:53:43 pm »
Are we still using Letterboxd for categories?

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 7, 2022, 02:17:24 pm »
The one thing I would ask is if we could be a bit more flexible in the morning with the clock for those of us out of the country, at least for the first three or four rounds. I don't know that we need to be in a huge hurry anyway, and it wouldn't waste much time to get started a little later when those of us wums come up in the morning. It's no problem leaving our picks with someone, but often you have to react to what has been picked just before you.

If everyone is against it that's fine - I don't want to hold us up or anything.

I'm happy to start at around 10.00am UK time and not to have too strict a time limit at the beginning, say a couple of hours (and I personally don't mind waiting for people a little longer) but if it starts to drag we can then maybe make it a little stricter.

Are we still using Letterboxd for categories?

yeah, they seem fairly accurate. If there's anything contentious, we can make a decision on it.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 7, 2022, 02:23:34 pm »
yeah, they seem fairly accurate. If there's anything contentious, we can make a decision on it.

:thumbup

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #33 on: August 7, 2022, 03:56:21 pm »
Who are we missing from the last one? Where's Tubby? Thought he'd be all in on the 80s nostalgia.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #34 on: August 7, 2022, 04:01:50 pm »
Who are we missing from the last one? Where's Tubby? Thought he'd be all in on the 80s nostalgia.

He’s a little busy shooting down conspiracy theories in the Premier League thread this afternoon with United and City both in action.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #35 on: August 7, 2022, 04:02:09 pm »
I've already declared, you shits.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #36 on: August 7, 2022, 04:04:16 pm »
I've already declared, you shits.

Oh yeah, turns out I can't read  :P

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 7, 2022, 04:05:52 pm »
He’s a little busy shooting down conspiracy theories in the Premier League thread this afternoon with United and City both in action.

First pick for tubby is Escape to Victory. The referee was completely impartial in the Nazi - Allied P.O.W match.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 7, 2022, 04:05:55 pm »
I've Pm'd Buck Pete to see if hes' back from his holidays as he missed the 90's Draft.  :wave

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #39 on: August 7, 2022, 04:11:18 pm »
First pick for tubby is Escape to Victory. The referee was completely impartial in the Nazi - Allied P.O.W match.

One of my dad's favourites.  Could escape imprisonment but instead go out for the second half to try and beat the Nazis at footy.

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.