Author Topic: Corrupted JPEGs - Any Advice  (Read 720 times)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Corrupted JPEGs - Any Advice
« on: June 30, 2022, 06:58:37 pm »
Hello Folks,

I'm a bit concerned to find that after a week abroad a very small number of my pictures I took have become corrupted (coloured lines across the bottom etc).

This has never happened before and all I done was take out the memory card from the camera and put it into a memory card reader on my PC.

Is it the card that is corrupt or is the problem with the reader? To be honest I am starting to sweat about losing images as they can't be replaced. I suspect as well that when I come home yesterday the internet was down in ours but I still went ahead and used the PC, the internet security I use was down (no internet) so I wonder if thats how its started?

Can anyone tell me, A, can the pics be repaired, and B, what can I do to save my images?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Corrupted JPEGs - Any Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 09:52:55 pm »
This probably won’t be the answer but I asked a question about recovering photos that have been deleted from an sd card in the IT secrets thread recently. I know that’s not what you’re trying to do but some of the recovery tools sites offered repairs of photos. So might be worth a look, it might be that when they say repair they mean repair of corrupted files that won’t open though so probably won’t be any use but with a look of you havent
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:57:14 pm »
Fuck sake I thought this was another set of politicians 😂😂😂😂😂

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2022, 09:58:10 am »
Where are you seeing the corruption, or rather where are they when you view them - mounted on the SD card? So any different if  the files are copied over?

If you put the card back in the camera to view are they OK there? If so you're probably looking at a dodgy or dirty card reader. 

With photos I've had daft stuff like bulk moving ruins them. If you're exploring them on the SDcard, move a photo to your PC and does it still show?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2022, 02:40:11 pm »
Files have several methods of self-correction routines.

(Usually embedded, horizontal and vertical)

This means that when you convert the image, the renderer should be able to decrypt, convert and then encrypt in the new format.

The upshot of this is that you might be able to fix it like this;

1. Open Paint or Similar
2. Open your file
3. Save as another format Gif, JPG or whatever
4. Close your file
5. Open your new file

What does that look like? If you have still got issues then the encoding is embedded - which might indicate a problem with your camera/phone as that's what stores the image.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: July 4, 2022, 08:15:15 am »
Cheers for all the replies, it appeared the issue was with the card reader as when I uploaded them through my camera they were fine.

Ta though, big relief.  :)
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."