Author Topic: Do you support the strikes?  (Read 74457 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Do you support the rail strikes?
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2022, 06:13:32 pm »
Absolutely.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2022, 06:40:16 pm »
Of course.

That Grant Shapps is a nasty individual.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2022, 06:41:28 pm »
It’s difficult, and I don’t know what the RMT’s end game is. Rail travel may have changed for ever with the pandemic, do staff numbers need to reflect this?? I don’t know.

And what pay % are RMT going to settle at? There’s economic sense in restricting pay below inflation to try to reduce inflation. But when you’re offering so much below inflation, you’re asking workers to suffer too much.

So I support them to a certain extent and within the limits of my own ignorance, but the government can’t be shocked that workers aren’t happy to see their pay going down. The government have no policies to address it, so why would workers not take the matter into their own hands?

And this is only the start of it. When we get to public sector reviews in September there will be more strikes. Because when you give people zero last year (essentially -5%) and say 3% this year, that’s pretty much a 12% pay cut. That’s going to hurt and people will go on strike.

The government need to act to reduce inflation

Royal Mail workers will be next. Ballot papers about to go out. Company saying it has offered a 5.5% payrise.

In reality it has offered 2%. Then a further 1.5 % if changes are agreed including reducing sick pay, starting up to 3hrs later in the day, compulsory working on Sundays at basic rate, removal of certain allowances, anualised hours and vastly reduced ill health retirement package.

A further 2% is dangled in the form of an unachievable bonus scheme if certain targets are hit.  All this after announcing last year that they were going to be paying out £400m to shareholders.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 07:27:03 pm by RF »

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2022, 06:43:18 pm »
Yes.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2022, 07:18:40 pm »
Of course.

That Grant Shapps is a nasty individual.

You mean Michael Green?
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2022, 07:34:06 pm »
Absolutely.

And Shapps is a c*nt,useless snidey c*nt who kissed arse upwards.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2022, 07:49:07 pm »
I'm out the country and in no way affected so bring it on.  ;)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2022, 08:06:29 pm »
Unequivocally, yes.

The Murdoch media empire peddling misinformation and the general conservative media going into meltdown tells you all you need to know.

I'm supportive of a general strike too, although that's probably a bit farfetched. The country has a *LOT* to be striking about.
YNWA.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2022, 08:13:14 pm »
Yes, absolutely unequivocally.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2022, 08:19:14 pm »
You mean Michael Green?

You're thinking of Sebastian Fox
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2022, 08:20:35 pm »

You're thinking of Sebastian Fox

All utter c*nts, and completely out of their depth. Solidarity.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2022, 08:32:06 pm »
Generally supportive, but then there's the elephant in the room.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-sets-out-six-key-reasons-for-leaving-the-eu/
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2022, 08:38:55 pm »

Pay is but one of the issues* the rail workers are striking over. Mass job cuts, changes to T&Cs (that will make it easier to fire and rehire on worse pay/terms), cuts to pension scheme.

All against the backdrop of the Government slashing £2bn from national rail budgets, and £2bn from TFL.

The Tories once again have engineered this. They slash budgets, then order National Rail/TOCs management to impose 'reform' on the workforce; when the workers take action to protect their jobs, T&C's and pay, the Government and their client media go on the PR warpath.

And look! Bozo's corruption, lying, incompetence and dalliances are off the front pages...

:butt

Now it's all about lefty militants ruining everyone's lives, and how Labour would drag everyone back to the dark days of the 1970's.

* like I said earlier, though, the media will portray it as being a dispute over the size of pay rises. Worth noting the BBC article on the strike; they have a Q&A thing, and the first question is "How much are Train Drivers paid?" and they quickly say how the median is £59k. Yet train drivers aren't striking
For balance the BBC fact check seems quite prominent. And although they can't match the 33k median the unions are claiming they say it's certainly a realistic figure.  The train drivers figure does seems to distort thibgs in the public eye. I guess it's hard to see why a train driver should be earning twice what a nurse is .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2022, 08:45:55 pm »
100 percent in support.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2022, 08:49:21 pm »
My serious answer compared to the earlier flippant one, is that I 100% support it even if it did affect me.

The reality is we have absolutely fuck all of a train network up here though so was always unlikely to affect me.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2022, 08:52:21 pm »
In support,  Im very interested to know the profits made by the companies and what fat cat bonus' were paid out.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2022, 08:54:04 pm »
Generally supportive, but then there's the elephant in the room.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-sets-out-six-key-reasons-for-leaving-the-eu/
What were they thinking?!

The EU isn't perfect - far from it - but to think a 'free' UK would aspire to better workers' rights and a protected NHS was incredibly naive.  A quick look at the forces driving the Leave vote would have shown them that.  That kind of thinking does at least partly explain the half-hearted approach to the referendum by Labour!

Still, they're right on the current issues.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2022, 09:13:05 pm »
Absolutely.

And Shapps is a c*nt,useless snidey c*nt who kissed arse upwards.

He’s a nasty c*nt.

His behaviour over the last few days proved it.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2022, 09:37:32 pm »
Hopefully we one day live in a world where it’s not necessary, but until then, absolutely I support the strikes.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2022, 09:56:20 pm »
What were they thinking?!

The EU isn't perfect - far from it - but to think a 'free' UK would aspire to better workers' rights and a protected NHS was incredibly naive.  A quick look at the forces driving the Leave vote would have shown them that.  That kind of thinking does at least partly explain the half-hearted approach to the referendum by Labour!

Still, they're right on the current issues.

Its a complete cluster fuck of ideas. Wonder if the railway companies being owned by European companies is significant in the pro Brexit stance
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2022, 10:22:53 pm »
Fuck this public sector workers…

Also, have more money fat cats

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 10:27:50 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2022, 10:26:13 pm »
I am a signal engineer for network rail, I voted to strike and will be taking part over the next 3 days that are effected, our pay is only a small percentage of what this strike is about

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2022, 10:40:23 pm »
I am a signal engineer for network rail, I voted to strike and will be taking part over the next 3 days that are effected, our pay is only a small percentage of what this strike is about

Solidarity with you, mate.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2022, 10:41:44 pm »
Solidarity with you, mate.

Nice one kidda

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2022, 11:11:34 pm »

nice one mate, we're with you.
YNWA.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2022, 11:29:26 pm »

I’m a TSSA member at TfL and our pay negotiations have only just started but we’re expecting something pretty derisory and to be balloted soon enough.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2022, 11:35:07 pm »
We're heading for a Summer of discontent, the Tory's are setting the Unions and the Labour party up for the blame.
The Torys know Unions are going to be demanding higher wages to keep up with high inflation. how long before we here wage rises are causing high inflation, the Tory's tried to stop these militant unions demanding huge wage rises but they listened to their m8s, the Labour party and went on strike. Truss will be in her element trying to do a Maggie union basher speech.
 The Torys will be blaming the Unions and the Labour party for inflation and all sorts of s,,,by the end of the year.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2022, 01:31:59 am »
nice one mate, we're with you.

✊️

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:01 am »
EXCLUSIVE: Labour front benchers have been told by the party leadership that they are banned from picket lines this week amid rail strikes:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1538939029315624961

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2022, 07:25:14 am »
Thus avoiding the most unsubtle political/media trap there could be.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline LFC_NCL

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2022, 07:54:08 am »
100%

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2022, 07:59:33 am »
People talking about wage inflation as a potential driver to high inflation; perhaps they should be looking at CEOs:

Pandemic caused pay ratios to fall, but new analysis indicates ratios are now increasing to new highs

The median CEO/median employee pay ratio across the FTSE 350 was 44:1 in 2020/2021, down from 53:1 in 2019/2020. 2020/21 also saw a decrease in the median CEO/lower quartile employee pay ratio for the FTSE 350, at 59:1 compared to 71:1 the previous year.
    In the FTSE 100, the median CEO/median employee ratio was 67:1 and the median CEO/lower quartile employee ratio was 93:1 (73:1 and 109:1 in 2019/20).
    28 Companies (14% of the total) had a CEO/median employee pay ratio of over 100:1, compared to 43 in 2020.
    Pay gaps are set to rebound post pandemic, with the 69 companies to have reported in the first quarter of 2022 showing a median pay ratio of 63:1, almost double the 34:1 median ratio at these companies in 2021.

This report, supported by the Abrdn Financial Fairness Trust, shows that cuts to executive pay during the pandemic led to a fall in the median CEO/median employee pay ratio across the FTSE 350 to 44:1 in 2020/21, down from 53:1 in 2019/20. The median gap between CEOs and their lower quarter employees fell to 59:1 from 71:1 in 2019/20.

However, early examinations of more recent disclosures indicate that pay gaps will widen again in 2022.

Across the 69 companies that disclosed pay ratios in Q1 2022, the median CEO/median employee ratio was 63:1. This was nearly double the ratio for the same group of companies in 2021, at 34:1.

The research that pay ratios were widest in the retail industry with an average pay ratio of 117:1. Ratios were lowest in media (29:1) and financial services (30:1).

https://highpaycentre.org/high-pay-centre-analysis-of-ftse-350-pay-ratios/

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2022, 08:07:13 am »
Will no one spare a thought for those millionaires who are struggling in these hard times?
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2022, 08:07:21 am »
This was from the body that sets MP's pay: -

Richard Lloyd, chairman of Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), which sets salaries, said: "This is the first increase in pay for MPs in two years and follows the average of increases across the public sector last year.

"MPs play a vital role in our democracy and this is reflected in their pay. It is right that MPs are paid fairly for the responsibility and the unseen work they do helping their constituents, which dramatically increased last year.

"For parliament to reflect society, it is vital that people from all walks of life can be an MP."

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2022, 08:32:41 am »
It's fucked up my plans for the week / weekend but I 100% support the strikes. Solidarity with those striking today and throughout the week.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2022, 08:46:52 am »
Absolutely 100% yes.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2022, 09:27:24 am »
Yes, and with the added bonus of not having to go into the office today.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2022, 09:41:16 am »
Yes.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2022, 09:43:47 am »
This was from the body that sets MP's pay: -

Richard Lloyd, chairman of Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), which sets salaries, said: "This is the first increase in pay for MPs in two years and follows the average of increases across the public sector last year.

"MPs play a vital role in our democracy and this is reflected in their pay. It is right that MPs are paid fairly for the responsibility and the unseen work they do helping their constituents, which dramatically increased last year.

"For parliament to reflect society, it is vital that people from all walks of life can be an MP."
That's some Truss-level maths from Richard Lloyd!  MPs had a 2.7% pay rise from 2021 to 2022.  Considering most of the public sector had 1-3% pay rises there must have been a secret but large sub-section that had very large pay rises.  The ONS had public sector pay as rising on average by 1.9%.

As an aside, without inflation MPs have had a 28% pay rise since 2010.  Even with inflation over that period - ignoring the past few months of ultra-inflation! - they have had a small pay-rise.  If they had mirrored that across the public sector as a whole during their 12 years in power then they would not be facing a summer of strikes (granted the RMT strike is about more than just wages).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 09:47:26 am by thaddeus »

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2022, 09:47:59 am »
Will no one spare a thought for those millionaires who are struggling in these hard times?

My sympathy is with the billionaires. They've really had it tough.