Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.  (Read 879081 times)

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Construction Underway
« Reply #2840 on: December 8, 2022, 04:53:19 pm »
Whats blagging my head is that the corner of the SKD stand roof looks like its going to obstruct the view. I know it wont, but it really looks like it will

Offline LOHAG

• Main Stander
« Reply #2841 on: December 9, 2022, 08:43:32 pm »
Is Mr Drone at the WC? Or got Strep A? I’m concerned

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2842 on: December 9, 2022, 08:48:39 pm »
Is Mr Drone at the WC? Or got Strep A? I’m concerned
He did a night time video of Anfield yesterday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dz2lNC4zb6U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dz2lNC4zb6U</a>
« Last Edit: December 9, 2022, 10:46:39 pm by Son of Mince Pie on a Plate »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline LOHAG

• Main Stander
« Reply #2843 on: December 9, 2022, 09:19:32 pm »
Thank the lord.
Was worried he’d been using his rainbow encrusted drone in Qatar, or his GP had ran out of penicillin.
My favourite bitter.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2844 on: December 9, 2022, 10:59:17 pm »
Thank the lord.
Was worried he’d been using his rainbow encrusted drone in Qatar, or his GP had ran out of penicillin.
My favourite bitter.
He's fine. Just been for a haircut I think.

He's his daytime footage from Tuesday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XQGPoyxANOU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XQGPoyxANOU</a>
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2845 on: December 9, 2022, 11:30:31 pm »
He did a night time video of Anfield yesterday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dz2lNC4zb6U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dz2lNC4zb6U</a>
Man, that could have been so good because he's right, Anfield does look seriously boss at night, esp at Christmas, and nighttime cityscapes are always wonderful. But instead it's just short shots, bad editing and really shite music. Proper fucked off with Mr Drone these days. Someone called Drone King. His time is now.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2846 on: December 10, 2022, 06:09:26 pm »
Droney from a snowy Anfield this morning.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oEKyJtteWvw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oEKyJtteWvw</a>

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #2847 on: December 11, 2022, 08:24:48 am »
Seems a really sound fella for a blue does Droney.

Offline lukeypool

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2848 on: December 12, 2022, 05:39:47 pm »
Anyone know when the roof is coming off the Annie road

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2849 on: December 12, 2022, 05:50:20 pm »

When we next score
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2850 on: December 12, 2022, 05:58:36 pm »

Not during the World Cup

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2851 on: December 12, 2022, 06:27:42 pm »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2852 on: December 12, 2022, 09:36:15 pm »
Just came across this image Ive never seen. If this was a 'guess the ground' question, I'm not sure I'd ever get the answer.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2853 on: December 12, 2022, 09:38:17 pm »

When they start filling in the corners.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2854 on: December 13, 2022, 06:14:03 am »
Just came across this image Ive never seen. If this was a 'guess the ground' question, I'm not sure I'd ever get the answer.

Wow. That’s the Park and the Church in the background isn’t it?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2855 on: December 13, 2022, 09:33:08 am »
When does that photo date from? Any idea?

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2856 on: December 13, 2022, 09:38:29 am »
When does that photo date from? Any idea?

Must be around 1990 / 1991 - the centenery opened for 100 years of the club in 1992

Online emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2857 on: December 13, 2022, 10:00:11 am »
Must be around 1990 / 1991 - the centenery opened for 100 years of the club in 1992

Nah, that's the (lack of) Kop, so 1994.

Did we really knock down and rebuild a whole stand in 4 months?!

Can't really tell from the highlights of Liverpool v Arsenal in August; was it the full stand by that point, there's definitely some people sat there?

edit: Just found an angle of it: we did not

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 10:03:13 am by emitime »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2858 on: December 13, 2022, 10:30:40 am »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 10:32:33 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2859 on: December 13, 2022, 10:31:20 am »
Were people going on about the 'backspans' back then?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: December 13, 2022, 10:36:05 am »
Some more:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2861 on: December 13, 2022, 10:37:51 am »
Interesting one - before the cladding went up.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2862 on: December 13, 2022, 10:40:00 am »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2863 on: December 13, 2022, 11:48:44 am »
These were all taken by Mr. Fujifilmquicksnap and printed in his fanzine. You should have seen the letters section.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2864 on: December 13, 2022, 01:07:10 pm »
Wow. That’s the Park and the Church in the background isn’t it?
It was only the Church that gave it away initially for me.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2865 on: December 13, 2022, 01:30:04 pm »
It was only the Church that gave it away initially for me.

Everything looks washed out and dated from the 90s! Initially thought it must be the Kemlyn but that never got knocked down, I remember being in it as they were building the upper tier.

That half built Kop. Rings back memories of the Fowler hat trick (albeit at the other end) and Fowler in general scoring against Villa and others whit the shadows from the new stand making it hard to see what was happening!

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2866 on: December 13, 2022, 02:06:22 pm »
It fascinates me that the old concreted terraces were basically plonked on top of a big hill.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2867 on: December 13, 2022, 02:20:11 pm »
Everything looks washed out and dated from the 90s! Initially thought it must be the Kemlyn but that never got knocked down, I remember being in it as they were building the upper tier.

That half built Kop. Rings back memories of the Fowler hat trick (albeit at the other end) and Fowler in general scoring against Villa and others whit the shadows from the new stand making it hard to see what was happening!

I thought it was the actual construction of the Kemlyn itself at first, the trucks look like they are from the 60's, but the lack of terraced houses said it wasn't
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2868 on: December 13, 2022, 02:38:03 pm »
It fascinates me that the old concreted terraces were basically plonked on top of a big hill.

The hill was literally the Spion Kop. People would stand on it to watch the match before a stand was built. I don't think it was a natural feature though - just a raised mound of earth.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2869 on: December 13, 2022, 02:48:24 pm »

Same angle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:51:41 pm by Gaudete GaudeTerry de Niro, Ex Maria Virginae Gaudete! »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2870 on: December 13, 2022, 03:23:05 pm »
The hill was literally the Spion Kop. People would stand on it to watch the match before a stand was built. I don't think it was a natural feature though - just a raised mound of earth.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was earth/rubble dug from a dock.

A great site for the stadiums early history here
https://playupliverpool.com/anfield-liverpool-f-c-football-ground/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:46:13 pm by meady1981 »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2871 on: December 13, 2022, 05:00:43 pm »

All my years of going on the Kop and I never knew that was what was under our feet  :o

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2872 on: December 13, 2022, 05:17:30 pm »
Literally a 'kop'

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2873 on: December 13, 2022, 05:25:12 pm »
All my years of going on the Kop and I never knew that was what was under our feet  :o

That is where the name Spion Kop comes from.

The Spion Kop was a hill in South Africa that was the scene of a battle in 1900 during the Boer war. The word ‘spioen’ in Afrikaans means ‘spy’ or ‘lookout’, and ‘kop’ means ‘hill’ or ‘outcropping’.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2874 on: December 13, 2022, 05:30:13 pm »

I'm surprised mate. Prior to the demolition I'd often heard/read about how the original hill was still beneath the stand, and that it had just been built right on top of it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #2875 on: December 13, 2022, 05:50:36 pm »
Nah, that's the (lack of) Kop, so 1994.

Did we really knock down and rebuild a whole stand in 4 months?!

Can't really tell from the highlights of Liverpool v Arsenal in August; was it the full stand by that point, there's definitely some people sat there?

edit: Just found an angle of it: we did not

I was at that game in the new seating installed on the Kop - but, it was limited to about 4000 seats I think, with work continuing on non-match days. Fully completed by January 1995......so probably more like 7 or 8 months to complete, which is still pretty amazing !

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2876 on: December 13, 2022, 06:26:43 pm »
That is where the name Spion Kop comes from.

The Spion Kop was a hill in South Africa that was the scene of a battle in 1900 during the Boer war. The word ‘spioen’ in Afrikaans means ‘spy’ or ‘lookout’, and ‘kop’ means ‘hill’ or ‘outcropping’.
Yep, when I was young I remember reading in a book that Spion Kop roughly translated as Spy Hill.

The history of it added to the mystique of the terrace for me. When the British Army tried to take Spioen Kop 300 men died in the battle, most from Lancashire and many from the City of Liverpool.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2877 on: December 13, 2022, 06:38:53 pm »
The BBC did a short documentary about it with Mark Lawrenson during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

https://youtu.be/2UqRreynGxQ
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2878 on: December 13, 2022, 07:04:44 pm »
You can get a good idea here of how they extended and built upon the original mound

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2879 on: December 13, 2022, 07:07:20 pm »
Thats why there were those weird empty bits at the back