Author Topic: Grenfell Tower Fire  (Read 137992 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Huge inferno at West London tower block
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 08:57:08 am »
Heartbreaking.   I fear the number of fatalities.  The private management company should be charged with manslaughter if the cladding is to blame. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 08:58:44 am »
The company that did the renovation work are trying to remove all online traces of their work this morning

Luckily enough the online cache of the website it still avalaible

http://web.archive.org/web/20170614055549/http://www.rydon.co.uk/what-we-do/refurbishment/case-studies/refurbishment-case-studies/grenfell-tower
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:00:57 am by gazzalfc »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 09:02:08 am »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 09:03:30 am »
Off the Guardian:

Rydon, the company responsible for the cladding and retrofitting refurbishments at Grenfell Tower have scraped all references to the refurbishment from their site.

But a cached summary of the refurbishment is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20170614055549/http://www.rydon.co.uk/what-we-do/refurbishment/case-studies/refurbishment-case-studies/grenfell-tower

The company that provided the external cladding panels for Rydon have since gone bust:

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2015/09/14/cladding-firm-harley-curtain-wall-pre-packed/

Seems the plastic cladding acted like an accelerant and the whole building was engulfed in a matter of minutes.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 09:05:28 am »
A former colleague of mine moved out of the tower recently. They were paying £2,000 a month to live there, which for some reason in my mind makes this a whole lot worse but I guess that's London.

Thoughts are with all those affected.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2017, 09:08:50 am »
Unusual fire behaviour in a building  with reinforced concrete structure. Normally unless directly effected by fire the safest thing is to remain in your flat.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 09:08:53 am »
Off the Guardian:

Seems the plastic cladding acted like an accelerant and the whole building was engulfed in a matter of minutes.

Maybe they changed there minds and put it back or it made them look guilty of hiding something.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 09:10:58 am »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:27 am »
So many things I want to say, but now is not the time.

May those who have perish rest in peace. Love to all affected.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline The Final Third

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:26 am »
Maybe they changed there minds and put it back or it made them look guilty of hiding something.

Yep..it defo would have cast more suspicion on them.

BBC interviewing a tenant who is saying that his neighbour claimed his fridge exploding was the cause of the fire.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2017, 09:14:58 am »
Unusual fire behaviour in a building  with reinforced concrete structure. Normally unless directly effected by fire the safest thing is to remain in your flat.

Should there have been sprinkler systems in a tower that size?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 09:16:00 am »

Maybe their website crashed under the unexpected demand.

Offline The Final Third

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2017, 09:18:30 am »

Yeah this was the "Stay Put" policy of the landlord KCTMO apparently:

The fire safety advice to Grenfell Tower residents was to stay in their flats unless told otherwise.

A newsletter to residents published in 2014 said:

Our longstanding ‘stay put’ policy stays in force until you are told otherwise. This means that (unless there is a fire in your flat or in the hallway outside your flat) you should stay inside your flat. This is because Grenfell was designed according to rigorous fire safety standards. Also, the new front doors for each flat can withstand a fire for up to 30 minutes, which gives plenty of time for the fire brigade to arrive.

Not much good if the building is cooking you from the outside over a period of five hours..

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2017, 09:22:25 am »
Not necessarily. Now, I think every residential building over 30m needs sprinklers but this would have been built much earlier. Sprinklers are very effective but cost to fit and maintain

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:21 am »
This is too horrible for words. Unimaginable the panic you'd feel not knowing whether to stay out or flee.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2017, 09:27:38 am »
I would never stay in my flat if there was a fire, I dont care what the advise is.

I drive past this building every day, the motorway overlooks it, will be a very sad sight.
Its one of those old council tower blocks that were built in the 70s, you never see them anymore in that area of London,  apparently they had concerns about fire because it doesnt meet modern regulation.
The fire brigade have visited it lately for fire assessments.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2017, 09:27:46 am »
Heartbreaking.   I fear the number of fatalities.  The private management company should be charged with manslaughter if the cladding is to blame.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:42 am »
Not necessarily. Now, I think every residential building over 30m needs sprinklers but this would have been built much earlier. Sprinklers are very effective but cost to fit and maintain

Sky were saying that a Labour MP was on the radio earlier can't remember his name but hes a ex fireman and on health and safety committee and he wanted sprinklers at least in all council owned Tower blocks but the Tories were against the ideal.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:31:37 am by Trada »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:41 am »

The council too, they place residents in that block, under private management. Its the council's responsibility to ensure the accommodation meets fire and safety regulation, usually these private managements wont get the contract if they cant meet the requirements, but London councils often turn a blind eye because there simply isnt enough accommodation to meet the demand.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2017, 09:36:20 am »
Watching the block still burning, thinking of those trapped inside.  Really sad.

Apparently there are a few blocks in the UK with this cladding used in the renovation, without sprinklers too!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:47:38 am by Redman78 »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2017, 09:38:09 am »
It happened at the worst time too, 1 am, some people would have had no chance, at least during the day everyone is a little more alert. Horrible.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2017, 09:39:29 am »
This is crazy.  Couldn't think of much worse than being stuck in a building engulfed in flames.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 09:42:00 am »
That blog also mentions that a FOI request indicated that there was asbestos throughout.

That is not uncommon. I work in a hospital with asbestos in. Leaving it undisturbed is almost always the best policy.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2017, 09:46:59 am »
That is not uncommon. I work in a hospital with asbestos in. Leaving it undisturbed is almost always the best policy.
It is but it's not too good for the firefighters damping down in the next day or two

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2017, 09:48:04 am »
They are saying some fireman got up to the 19th and 20th floor blimey what bravery I thought that would be impossible.

But sadly I guess that means they couldn't get to the top 4 floors.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:03:43 am by Trada »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2017, 09:55:54 am »
It does appear that the initial advise was for people to stay in their flats until the fire fighters get to them, according to accounts on radio.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2017, 09:57:28 am »
You think such things can't happen in this day and age but that's truly terrifying. Just hoping there haven't been many fatalities.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2017, 10:01:31 am »
The company that did the renovation work are trying to remove all online traces of their work this morning

Luckily enough the online cache of the website it still avalaible

Director of the company, Andrew Goldman, is being interviewed on ITV now. Piers Moron hammering him.

Heartbreaking scenes. Thoughts go out to all the families affected. Astonishing to think that something like this can happen in this day and age. No sprinklers in the building is truly mystifying...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:03:38 am by Alonso_The_Assassin »

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2017, 10:18:04 am »
It does appear that the initial advise was for people to stay in their flats until the fire fighters get to them, according to accounts on radio.
Whether its the cladding or something else, fire spread like this is very unusual you would normally be very safe in your flat can't emphasise how unusual it is  for fire to spread like this. What normally kills people in fires is smoke inhalation that is why if you are in a concrete building the advice is often to stay in your flat. The fire safety advice is not what is unusual here, most concete high rise buildings would have similar advice it's the firespread in a concrete building and what caused that.There are flat fires in high rises all the time but they are contained unless something unusual has happened. Why has the fire not been contained within the flat will be the big question because it's completely unusual. The bigger questions need to be looking at the process of fire safety has been taken out of the hands of the fire service and deregulated and the massive cuts to the fire service of the last few years.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:11 am »
Truly harrowing. RIP to those that lost their life. I keep trying to put myself in the position of those unlucky people stuck in the building while engulfed in fire and I just....Must be beyond horrifying.

Put on Sky news and BBC World news and they constantly keep mentioning and showing eye witness' statements about people jumping from floors. Now I'm not saying don't say it, it's just the constant mention that bothers me. It's enough of a tragedy already.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
Whether its the cladding or something else, fire spread like this is very unusual you would normally be very safe in your flat can't emphasise how unusual it is  for fire to spread like this. What normally kills people in fires is smoke inhalation that is why if you are in a concrete building the advice is often to stay in your flat. The fire safety advice is not what is unusual here, most concete high rise buildings would have similar advice it's the firespread in a concrete building and what caused that.There are flat fires in high rises all the time but they are contained unless something unusual has happened. Why has the fire not been contained within the flat will be the big question because it's completely unusual. The bigger questions need to be looking at the process of fire safety has been taken out of the hands of the fire service and deregulated and the massive cuts to the fire service of the last few years.

The fire regulations have not been met, buildings dont burn in 8 minutes, even if they are made of timber.
Every flat in the building should have internal fire doors, at 60 minute rating
the outside door leading on to the corridor (external door) has a 90 minute rating, and there should be an external door at 5 meter intervals in the corridors outside the flats.
The cladding can not accelerate the fire, even if its made of plastic, it would be fire proofed to act as if its inert and doesnt burn.
Fire regulations alone mean the fire does not spread, even old buildings, get upgraded to meet the criteria.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:36:39 am by The North Bank »

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2017, 10:36:00 am »
The fire regulations have not been met, buildings dont burn in 8 minutes, even if they are made of timber.
the outside door leading on to the corridor (external door) has a 90 minute rating, and there should be an external door at 5 meter intervals in the corridors outside the flats.
The cladding can not accelerate the fire, even if its made of plastic, it would be fire proofed to act as if its inert and doesnt burn.
Fire regulations alone mean the fire does not spread, even old buildings, get upgraded to meet the criteria.

Was just about to post this re: fire doors, compartmentalisation etc...

Something has gone horrifically wrong to result in the ferocity and spread of this fire. In my mind, there is no way regulations could have been adhered to.
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2017, 10:48:50 am »
I'm just pointing out that the normal advice in such buildings would be to stay in your flat unless directly effected by fire. It's the fire spread thats unusual and no one knows why that has happened yet. I'm no expert in fire safety but Fire regs don't mean old buildings get upgraded. Many things like sprinklers are covered not by fire regs but building regs.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2017, 10:49:56 am »

Perhaps they realised that once the journos got hold of the cached site there was no point trying to hide anything.

30 minute firedoors are pretty much standard fare for most offices and and accommodation.  If the fire isn't on your floor, but there's heavy smoke outside, then it makes sense to stay put.  Some wet towels around the door frame should help keep the smoke out.

This though seems bizarre.  Looks like the fire spread up the outside of the building via the cladding?  You can't fireproof your windows.  A 30 minute fire door in this kind of environment isn't going to do jack shit.  Staying in your flat with a fire spreading that fast and that intensely does not seem a wise decision to me.  I'd throw a wet towel over my head and chance it, but then I don't have a family to worry about.  The place was literally a towering inferno.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2017, 10:50:02 am »
Was just about to post this re: fire doors, compartmentalisation etc...

Something has gone horrifically wrong to result in the ferocity and spread of this fire. In my mind, there is no way regulations could have been adhered to.

Something hasnt gone horribly wrong, something already was horribly wrong. An accident waiting to happen, and eventually it did.

What usually happens, is that the fire brigade has to provide a license for a building to become inhabitable. What they normally do, if they inspect a building, is give an improvement notice, when they see things are not done right,  this usually means you have a certain amount of time to implement the changes they recommend, or they shut the building down.
Where it goes wrong, is in old buildings that werent built to modern fire regulations, its either impossible to upgrade them to standard, or very difficult, so the improvement notice has a very long time frame on it, in that time something disastrous could happen.
The other serious issue, is when the fire brigade issue an improvement notice rather than a prohibition notice (shut the building down immediately) when there is a serious fire risk, because there are hundreds of council residents who will become homeless overnight and under council pressure they can not just shut the building.
This is based on experience.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2017, 10:51:55 am »
I'm just pointing out that the normal advice in such buildings would be to stay in your flat unless directly effected by fire. It's the fire spread thats unusual and no one knows why that has happened yet. I'm no expert in fire safety but Fire regs don't mean old buildings get upgraded. Many things like sprinklers are covered not by fire regs but building regs.

Either way, councils cant place residents in the buildings until all the regs are met, building, fire , or health and safety.

I still wouldnt stay in my flat, my instinct would be to run, I cant put my life in someone elses hands, what if they were incompetent.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2017, 10:55:46 am »
Lots of reports that the fire alarams didnt go off, in fact the fire brigade have released a statement that basic fire regulations that they expect in any residence did not exist in this building, they obviously based their rescue effort on the amount of time that fire doors give them to get to everyone, then found out that they only had seconds.
Awful situation to be in.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:56 am »
Absolutely awful news, hopefully most of the people managed to get out.

I'm expecting quite a few didn't though.

As has been mentioned, it's very unusual for a fire to spread so quickly like that through a solid concreate building.

Having read the article in the Guardian, it seems like it was an accident waiting to happen.

Health and Safety regs are there for good reason.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2017, 11:02:51 am »
Something hasnt gone horribly wrong, something already was horribly wrong. An accident waiting to happen, and eventually it did.

Sorry, that's what I meant. A likely catalogue of failures over time, which created conditions to allow such a catastrophic fire.

Seen reports of power surges nearly causing a fire in 2013 due to poor electrics, reports of fire alarm systems not being installed or going off.

What makes this even more scary is that you can guarantee there are dozens of blocks like this all over London and more across the country.   
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2017, 11:06:20 am »
Sorry, that's what I meant. A likely catalogue of failures over time, which created conditions to allow such a catastrophic fire.

Seen reports of power surges nearly causing a fire in 2013 due to poor electrics, reports of fire alarm systems not being installed or going off.

What makes this even more scary is that you can guarantee there are dozens of blocks like this all over London and more across the country.

Absolutely.

Its still crazy to think that a whole building could go up so quickly, even with poor fire standards.
Unless the source was a massive gas explosion.