Author Topic: Ben Woodburn.  (Read 129458 times)

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Re: Ben Woodburn.
« Reply #920 on: August 10, 2021, 11:20:20 pm »
I saw Woodburn in person at both friendlies and I just can’t see him making it for us. Decent enough player but will definitely move on and at least drop to the championship as a minimum.

One of the games I was literally sitting on the pitch..he still has the build of a teenager. Like Neco, I can’t see them both at Liverpool for much longer

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #921 on: August 10, 2021, 11:24:11 pm »
I saw Woodburn in person at both friendlies and I just can’t see him making it for us. Decent enough player but will definitely move on and at least drop to the championship as a minimum.

One of the games I was literally sitting on the pitch..he still has the build of a teenager. Like Neco, I can’t see them both at Liverpool for much longer

That's just not on. Why's he not been put though his paces in the gym?
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #922 on: August 10, 2021, 11:33:54 pm »
That's just not on. Why's he not been put though his paces in the gym?

Haha he needs to bulk up..

Decent player but we’ve let more talented players go than him. Grujic was one that defo got away for me

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #923 on: August 11, 2021, 04:01:20 am »
whats the fetish with players bulking up?

Just watched the Joe gomez interview and he mentioned being singled out by the klopp to lose the beach body when he came back a bit heavier than expected for pre season. He is still only 21 and already looks bulkier when he debuted at 16. That's already a positive sign.

Do think that requirements for centre mid/attacking mid role which woodburn is a bit different from centre back. But if he does have the intelligence and quickness of mind as well as the two footedness which is mostly key in being a centre midfield. Only issue i can see is his height and aerial presence. He does need to be a bit more aggresive aerially since klopp favours some presence in the box when it comes to defending corners against neanderthal teams like burnley.

helps with the english quota as well for us. Nothing better than seeing a youngster step up and progress with us.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: August 11, 2021, 08:39:50 am »
I've heard this sentiment many times and have never understood what it is based on.

I think he's got some classy skills, but is maybe a little slight and might not have the physical attributes to push for a place here long-term.

I think there are teams we've had in the last 10 years where he would already be a regular, but we are a more physical side now.

Would love to be wrong.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #925 on: August 11, 2021, 09:14:25 am »
whats the fetish with players bulking up?

All truly great footballers are tall and muscular I suppose. I remember watching that wonderful Barcelona team from several years ago and thinking Liverpool would only start to challenge them when our players picked up the weights and started to look like Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Pedro and Alves etc. Ruddock's the ideal shape and size actually.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #926 on: August 11, 2021, 09:53:17 am »
Woodburn looks more bulked up to me from the preseason games. Certainly holds his own physically more. Unlikely to happen, but I'd find it as exciting to sign Renato Sanches as it is to see Woodburn succeed here.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #927 on: August 11, 2021, 09:57:54 am »
All truly great footballers are tall and muscular I suppose. I remember watching that wonderful Barcelona team from several years ago and thinking Liverpool would only start to challenge them when our players picked up the weights and started to look like Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Pedro and Alves etc. Ruddock's the ideal shape and size actually.
Indeed.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #928 on: August 11, 2021, 10:32:46 am »
[/b]

proper built defender that lad.

prefer a little more of subtle presence in the middle of the park ala charlie adam to be honest

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #929 on: August 11, 2021, 10:40:45 am »

You don’t need to have a physical presence on the field but if you don’t the chances are you need to be quick and/or exceptionally skilful.

One of the reason that our kids haven’t won a game yet in the FL Trophy is that they keep getting outmuscled by older, bigger players who are mostly technically inferior to our lads.

Online Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #930 on: August 11, 2021, 10:57:32 am »
Any idea what that black strapping he was wearing on his back and neck is for?

So basically, pelicans can cool themselves down by pushing their spines out through their mouths. Turns out, Ben has an ancestor whose DNA was accidentally mixed up with a pelican's (whole other story there) so all male members of the Woodburn family can cool themselves down by pushing the spine away from the body - except, unlike pelicans, the spine extends out backwards.

Anyway, when Ben was spending a load of time in the gym to 'bulk up', he used this cooling mechanism a bit too much and, well, 'sprained it', meaning it could pop out at any given time until it heals.

The black straps are there to make sure his spine stays in place until he heals.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: August 11, 2021, 11:02:00 am »
You don’t need to have a physical presence on the field but if you don’t the chances are you need to be quick and/or exceptionally skilful.

One of the reason that our kids haven’t won a game yet in the FL Trophy is that they keep getting outmuscled by older, bigger players who are mostly technically inferior to our lads.

Though I couldn't help noticing that all 11 of our players in those matches were younger and slighter. :)
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2021, 11:14:31 am »
Though I couldn't help noticing that all 11 of our players in those matches were younger and slighter. :)

Just like most of the Barca team you mentioned were usually slighter than their opponents. And younger, at the start of their careers. They got older as time went on.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2021, 11:17:28 am »
Just like most of the Barca team you mentioned were usually slighter than their opponents. And younger, at the start of their careers. They got older as time went on.

Annoying when that happens.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: August 11, 2021, 11:21:52 am »

Most people do.

But I think you're mistaken anyway. The Barca team was changing all the time. It had old hands as well as prodigies. It had gnarly internationals who'd seen it all and young kids who hadn't. It did not in any way resemble a Liverpool youth team! 

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #935 on: August 11, 2021, 11:36:27 am »
Most people do.

But I think you're mistaken anyway. The Barca team was changing all the time. It had old hands as well as prodigies. It had gnarly internationals who'd seen it all and young kids who hadn't. It did not in any way resemble a Liverpool youth team! 

J Klopp wasn’t sure that Mo was strong enough for our league and had to be persuaded by the scouts. He knows. This from 2017…

Some were surprised that Liverpool paid £34million for a player who had previously struggled at Chelsea, and even Klopp has admitted he needed some convincing.
“His speed is his speed, it doesn’t depend on which league he’s in. That is clear,” said Klopp. “Of course we had to look at a lot of his games to see about other parts, physicality, being strong enough for challenges.
“But you see now, he is. I met him of course at one point and he looked ready. If you watch him only on television he looks quite skinny.”

Annoying when that happens.

I read about a workaround. Something to do with a portrait in the attic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:38:29 am by terry_macss_perm »

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #936 on: August 11, 2021, 12:08:15 pm »
helps with the english quota as well for us. Nothing better than seeing a youngster step up and progress with us.

Allow me to provide the pedantry...

(Nottingham-born but elected to play for Wales, in fairness, and we do all know what you mean  ;))

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #937 on: August 13, 2021, 04:09:53 am »
Before you all start making decisions on his future, why not just praise a lad who has had it tough these last couple of years with injuries and a loss confidence, yet, he's still swinging, chasing his dream of playing for the reds. I wish him every success. A good 'un is Ben Woodburn. Hell of a player and will keep on improving, no doubt about that
This

Think he played pretty well and I hope he goes on to have a great future here so that the 'I hope he proves me wrong' snark-brigade are, indeed, proved wrong.

I've heard this sentiment many times and have never understood what it is based on.
It usually means a self-appointed Guru has decided  the player is not good enough and wants us all to know how clever they are
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #938 on: August 13, 2021, 04:10:24 am »
So basically, pelicans can cool themselves down by pushing their spines out through their mouths. Turns out, Ben has an ancestor whose DNA was accidentally mixed up with a pelican's (whole other story there)
A sort of pelican crossing?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: August 13, 2021, 08:30:29 am »
So basically, pelicans can cool themselves down by pushing their spines out through their mouths. Turns out, Ben has an ancestor whose DNA was accidentally mixed up with a pelican's (whole other story there) so all male members of the Woodburn family can cool themselves down by pushing the spine away from the body - except, unlike pelicans, the spine extends out backwards.

Anyway, when Ben was spending a load of time in the gym to 'bulk up', he used this cooling mechanism a bit too much and, well, 'sprained it', meaning it could pop out at any given time until it heals.

The black straps are there to make sure his spine stays in place until he heals.

And there was me thinking it was to hold his wings down 🤦

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #940 on: August 17, 2021, 12:29:37 pm »
Linked with Hearts on loan this morning.  Would be an ideal move for all party's Liverpool , Ben and Hearts

He would get plenty of game time.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #941 on: August 17, 2021, 06:32:39 pm »
Hearts loan confirmed.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: August 17, 2021, 07:58:52 pm »
Good luck to him - not going to make it here I don't think.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2021, 08:45:06 pm »
So basically, pelicans can cool themselves down by pushing their spines out through their mouths.

Captain Buzzkill reporting for duty - no they can't.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #944 on: August 18, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »
Hearts loan confirmed.

Good move for him up here living in Edinburgh too hope he gets game time only till Jan though

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: August 18, 2021, 03:27:29 pm »
I'm a bit surprised by this. Both Jurgen and Pep appeared to strongly suggest he'd be a Liverpool player this season. Or did I misunderstand that?

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #946 on: August 18, 2021, 03:40:22 pm »
I'm a bit surprised by this. Both Jurgen and Pep appeared to strongly suggest he'd be a Liverpool player this season. Or did I misunderstand that?

There’s a suggestion now that the loan has been agreed between Hearts and the player but Klopp hasn’t signed off on it and wants might be waiting til later in the transfer window. Which seems strange given that he’s way down the pecking order.

Maybe Klopp’s way of reinforcing to the club that he wants another midfielder (assuming he does).

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #947 on: August 18, 2021, 03:47:00 pm »
There’s a suggestion now that the loan has been agreed between Hearts and the player but Klopp hasn’t signed off on it and wants might be waiting til later in the transfer window. Which seems strange given that he’s way down the pecking order.

Maybe Klopp’s way of reinforcing to the club that he wants another midfielder (assuming he does).

:D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #948 on: August 23, 2021, 07:48:05 pm »
Ben has today joined The Heart of Midlothian FC on a seasons loan. I'm sure hell be a massive fans favourite at Tynecastle.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: August 23, 2021, 10:28:02 pm »
Good luck to him, he can come back stronger!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #950 on: August 24, 2021, 12:26:03 am »
Really hope he can stay fit and make a success of this, he's has some bad luck with loans and needs a good one to kick on with his career (whether here or elsewhere). Obviously got bags of talent, just needs to get settled and get games.

Best of luck Ben!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: August 24, 2021, 04:25:35 am »
Ben Woodburn off to Scotland. From the comments about bulking up, he's no man-mountain. Hopefully, he'll climb his way to the top, he hasn't reached his peak yet.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #952 on: November 18, 2022, 02:47:48 am »
Ben Woodburn off to Scotland. From the comments about bulking up, he's no man-mountain. Hopefully, he'll climb his way to the top, he hasn't reached his peak yet.
Still has his name written in Merseyside folklore, the youngest goalscorer in Kop history with his strike against Leeds United in the League Cup, November 2016.

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: November 19, 2022, 06:12:34 am »
Saw this in the main forum and thought, surely he's not a LFC player still? And he isn't. Mods, please move the thread :D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: November 19, 2022, 08:48:10 am »
Haha how many pages back was this thread as of yesterday when it was bumped? Page 50?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #955 on: December 10, 2022, 12:19:10 pm »
Just scored for Preston, thought he was in scotland