Author Topic: Ben Woodburn.  (Read 131405 times)

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
Re: Ben Woodburn.
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »
The media have gone mad about him, exactly what Klopp is trying to avoid, it can't be helped I guess.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2016, 06:20:20 pm »
The media have gone mad about him, exactly what Klopp is trying to avoid, it can't be helped I guess.

Yes it can be helped. The media use players to get our attention, by pumping them up or tearing them down.

People give Klopp lots of credit for man management and for engaging us supporters to contribute to the success of the club. He has asked us not to hype this kid.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2016, 06:24:19 pm »
Our Jurgen is the right person to protect Ben from the media, as well as nurturing him into a first team regular.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:43 pm »
so funny seeing this behaviour and bitterness from England fans about a 17 year old kid :lmao

Think it's mainly piss taking isn't it? I have no idea if he's Welsh or not. My cousins are Welsh but we're born over the border in Chester too so I like to call them English at any opportunity.  It's all hilarious 'b word', nothing serious.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2016, 07:37:17 pm »
Hope to god this woodburn 58 chant doesnt stick around

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
Nice one Trumps.

Offline Boer_War

• Main Stander
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2016, 07:44:36 pm »
I hope this lad keeps his feet on the ground and reaches his potential.

I know I wouldn't of been able to at 17 if I had his talent and oppotunity (of which I had neither, due to an ankle injury :) )
Get 8% cash back from the official store

http://www.quidco.com/user/4882829

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2016, 07:46:18 pm »
I think the hype is due in part to a certain player bowing outfor good recently.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2016, 08:05:53 pm »
Yes it can be helped. The media use players to get our attention, by pumping them up or tearing them down.

People give Klopp lots of credit for man management and for engaging us supporters to contribute to the success of the club. He has asked us not to hype this kid.
I'd say it's to get everyone else's attention so they can buy their papers. It's all about the bottom-line sadly.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »
I have no idea if he's Welsh or not.

An article in WalesOnline today reveals that he qualifies for Wales through one of his grandparents. So if he was any less Welsh he wouldn't even be eligible.

I think all that England/Wales tug of war stuff is in the long grass for now, he should keep playing for Welsh youth teams the next few years and keep his eligibility for both nations. If Wales (or England) try to fast track him into their senior set up that would lead to more media attention and not be in his best interest.

Online mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2016, 08:14:13 pm »

You're not the only one ;D. Must have been desperate just to sing anything with his name in it after he scored.

Online mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2016, 08:16:38 pm »
An article in WalesOnline today reveals that he qualifies for Wales through one of his grandparents. So if he was any less Welsh he wouldn't even be eligible.

I think all that England/Wales tug of war stuff is in the long grass for now, he should keep playing for Welsh youth teams the next few years and keep his eligibility for both nations. If Wales (or England) try to fast track him into their senior set up that would lead to more media attention and not be in his best interest.

Pisses me off when international teams fast track players to keep them out of the hands of other national teams. Wales did it with Harry Wilson in 2013, he's not been in the squad since. Although he was born in Wales he apparently qualified for England some way and there was talk the English FA would encourage him to commit to England.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2016, 08:40:43 pm »

It's alright when he gets the 7 shirt we'll have to think of something else.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:40 pm »
I'd say it's to get everyone else's attention so they can buy their papers. It's all about the bottom-line sadly.
Same applies to the official site today.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2016, 08:45:48 pm »
Well done, but its only the league cup quarter finals against a first division side. Wait till he does it consistently in the premier league and the Champions league, then we are talking.  ;)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2016, 08:53:55 pm »
Go Woody!

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2016, 09:22:22 pm »
Not meaning to be a killjoy prick here, but Rossiter also scored in the league cup against Championship opposition at the age of 17.

I know there's a been bit more buzz around this lad for a while now, but it still shows how easy it is for a few years to go by with first team opportunities hard to come by.

Good luck to him though.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:39 pm »
Not meaning to be a killjoy prick here, but Rossiter also scored in the league cup against Championship opposition at the age of 17.

I know there's a been bit more buzz around this lad for a while now, but it still shows how easy it is for a few years to go by with first team opportunities hard to come by.

Good luck to him though.

totally right, the lad may be talented, he may go on to do brilliant things, there is also the same chance he'll do nothing and get moved on in a few years like many of our young players have...

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2016, 09:53:16 pm »
And...

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2016, 09:58:25 pm »
great finish by the way, reallly took it well, power lift, roof of the net, no messing, no nerves. Great finish
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline IzeOfAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2016, 10:26:08 pm »

Good luck to him though.

Much different than Rossiter. Think everyone still rated Brannagan more highly at that point in time anyway. Him, Alexander-Arnold, and Ejaria are the best things going for us right now, and they're the best prospects we've had for quite a bit outside of Sterling and Jordon Ibe.
Got to love the Klopp

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Ben Woodburn; the boy is going places
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2017, 04:52:28 am »
I've posted a great interview with Ben Woodburn below. He is obviously talented but this offers a a fascinating insight into his character.

He seems to be very humble and down to earth (he still lives with his parents and tells how he has to clean his room and do the dishes!). For me, this attitude is what separates him from Sterling and that type of young player. That and his hard work.

I also want to draw attention to his versatility and how exciting it is that he has been playing a deeper role in pre-season.

There are few things Ben Woodburn hasn't been able to master during his fledgling career so far, but asking him to summarise the last 12 months of his life is most definitely one of them.

“I can’t really sum it up in one or two words, there are loads of things I could say about it,” he manages, his facial expression offering an insight to the overtime his brain is putting in to find the right words to answer the question.

But Woodburn is in good company as there are few who’d manage to put together the words that would successfully do justice to effectively explain how much has changed in the past year.

He tries again: “My life has obviously changed a lot and I do get the odd few people recognising me and asking for photos or autographs.

“The first time someone stopped me, it was a bit weird for me because I wasn’t used to it at all. A year is quite a long time, so I’ve gotten used to it now.

“All my friends and family still treat me the same, though, so it’s not a massive difference other than the couple of people asking for autographs, but I don’t mind it. It’s all part of it.”

Woodburn is startlingly modest and humble in his answering as he sat down with Liverpoolfc.com at the team hotel in Hong Kong last week, but the truth is things are drastically different now for the 17-year-old.

For starters, when his now full-time teammates were on their tour of the United States in 2016, the forward was with Liverpool’s U23s at a pre-season tournament in Germany.

Since then, nine appearances have been achieved with the first team. Oh, and a call-up to the senior Wales national side.

“I have enjoyed every minute of it so much,” Woodburn states. “It’s been a massive learning experience for me, especially alongside the players we have in the squad. Having those people around has made learning easier for me.

“I wouldn’t say I get nervous about anything now, I get excited because I just love playing football.

“Being in the squad, it’s kind of become normal for me. The other lads, they treat me like a normal player – it’s not like I’m a young kid and so I’m different. It feels normal. They make it easier for me to interact with them and ask for the ball in training and matches.”

Of course, there was also that goal against Leeds United that etched him into Liverpool’s history books as the club’s youngest ever scorer. Netted at the Kop end, no less.

“My phone just blew up with messages, WhatsApps, tags, likes… everything,” he says, smiling at the memory of turning his mobile phone on in the dressing room afterwards on that November night.

“All of my family and friends got in touch, it just went a bit mad. I managed to reply to everyone who’d messaged me, but it took a while!

“At the time it was obviously an unbelievable moment for me and everyone around me. Those things happen in football, though, so you can’t allow yourself to get caught up in it. That said, I’ve probably seen it back a few times! It is nice to watch.

“Before I went onto the pitch, the manager told me to go and enjoy myself. I tried not to dwell on it, I just wanted to go out and try and play my game, and show everyone what I can do.

“The next day, I was training and it was straight back to normal. The lads who’d started the game were on a recovery session and I was training normally, so it was just back to my usual routine.”

That sense of remaining grounded extends beyond the perimeter walls of Melwood.

Woodburn – who doesn’t turn 18 until October – still lives at home with his parents and his younger brother, where there is certainly no ‘superstar treatment’.

In fact, despite his football achievements, there’s been no let-up from Mum in making him muck in with household chores.

He smiles: “They don’t treat me any differently or anything. I still have to do the odd thing around the house for my mum – I have to tidy my room and put my dishes away!

“They’re the same with me. They obviously know my life has changed, but they keep my feet on the ground.

“It means I can just switch off when I go home; chill, watch TV, play FIFA with my friends. I am always doing stuff at home – I don’t stay in my room. Either that or I’ll be out doing something like playing golf or round at a friend’s house.

“I actually got into golf by playing a little bit when I was younger. A few of my friends like to play it and there’s a golf course right next to where I live, so we try to go when we can when it’s sunny. It’s a nice day out. It takes your mind off things and it’s good to chill out with my friends.

“But life at home and with my friends is the same as it used to be, it hasn’t changed for me.”

If life at home remains unaffected by Woodburn’s progress, the sight of numerous ‘Woodburn 58’ jerseys on display in Hong Kong last week shone light on his growing stature within the game and served as an indicator of how his progress has not gone unnoticed.

“The first time I saw my name on the back of someone’s shirt was when my friend took a photo when he was on holiday and sent it to me,” he recalls. “I just started laughing… it was really surreal and I didn’t know how to feel. I told my family and they also laughed and were really pleased for me.”

Woodburn featured in both matches during Liverpool’s trip to Asia and was deployed in a deeper midfield role in the encounter with Crystal Palace last Wednesday.

Afterwards, Jürgen Klopp outlined his belief that Woodburn’s tender age means it’s too early for him to be pigeonholed into a position on the field permanently.

It’s a sentiment the player himself fully concurs with.

“It’s obviously nice to hear when someone like that says something like that about you,” Woodburn reflects. “He’s right in what he is saying – I am only young and I don’t want to put one position to my name. I still don’t know which my best position is… I don’t think anybody does at the moment, so I’ve just got to keep showing what I can do in different positions. In time, it’ll show which position I should be playing in.

“I like playing in centre mid, but I like playing on the wing as well… I just like playing anywhere, really!”

By the same token, Klopp also revealed part of his thinking in placing Woodburn in midfield was to enable him to gain some crucial experience alongside his more established colleagues, Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana.

“It is good to play in midfield, especially with Henderson and Lallana because they’re top players and they make it easier for me when I’m alongside them,” Woodburn continues. “They talk to me throughout games, they’re good like that.

“They’re both captains in different ways – Hendo is the captain, but they both speak to me, give me advice and praise and it just makes it a lot easier.”

An appetite to learn and an eagerness to seek advice from his senior counterparts are staple parts of  Woodburn’s plan for improvement.

The recently-departed Lucas Leiva was one such source of experience he used to attempt to tap into on a regular basis.

“They all give me advice, but I have to say Lucas gave me a lot of advice because there was a time when he played for the U23s at Arsenal last year,” explains Woodburn. “From then on, he gave me a lot of advice and really helped me to settle in when I first came to Melwood. He was a big personality and big influence on me.”

One man providing constant guidance to Woodburn comes in the form of his manager, Klopp.

The pair converse daily on areas for improvement and it’s something the Wales U19 international is looking to reimburse.

“I feel like we’ve got quite a good relationship,” he says of his dialogue with Klopp.

“He will tell me if he thinks I should be doing something else, he will praise me. He has been really good with me and since I’ve been with the first team, he’s helped me a lot.

“I think the first hug I had off him was after the Leeds game. He gave me a big one then! But it makes it special when you get advice from someone like him. He is one of the best in what he does.

“I just hope I can repay him with what I do on the pitch.”

‘Improvement’ is a word that comes up frequently during the course of our chat at Hong Kong’s Ritz-Carlton hotel.

So what are the main facets of his game Woodburn is currently working to enhance?

“There are a few things I am looking to improve on right now. A big difference between youth and senior football is that you’ve got to be mature in how you play, so that’s what I am trying to do.

“There are decisions within games you can get away with in the youth teams, but in the senior side you can’t – how quickly you pass the ball and not risking every single pass. Keeping the ball.

“I also want to improve my fitness levels because obviously here at Liverpool, pressing is one of the main parts of our game, so I want to get good at that because that’s how we play.”

It’s clear Woodburn is a youngster with an eye firmly on the future and what it’ll take to help him achieve his dreams.

But he’s eager to state that none of this would be possible without the solid footing and groundwork that was laid down for him by the staff at Liverpool’s youth complex in Kirkby.

“Everyone at the Academy has played a massive part in how I’ve progressed and I’ll never forget that,” Woodburn expresses with conviction. “They helped me so much and made the step to Melwood so much easier with the way they train you and how they are with you.

“It’s hard to put into words how grateful I am for that, they helped me a lot. I’ll always be grateful for that.”

It was at the Academy where a friendship with Trent Alexander-Arnold was forged – a bond that has made the step up to first-team level.

Their close relationship was evident from the moment they celebrated Woodburn’s Leeds moment and the pair share a mutual delight for the career progress the other has made.

“It makes it easier when one of your mates is with you in the squad,” Woodburn says with a laugh. “I can chill with him all the time.

“It’s not like going into the squad and not knowing anyone… if you’re with your mate, it’s a lot easier. It is great to see when someone who you know and who you’ve basically grown up with is doing well as well. It’s so nice to see.”

Woodburn was part of the Liverpool squad that jetted out to Germany on Wednesday for the second leg of their summer tour, having enjoyed every minute of the trip to Hong Kong.

Unfortunately, though, he and some of his other teammates will have to find something else to fill the void of a popular reality TV show that came to an end on Monday…

“There was a few of us watching Love Island,” Woodburn reveals with a grin, confirming a post Lallana made on Instagram regarding the show’s popularity among the squad while in Asia.

“It’s funny to watch. I also watch Netflix and films on there. I’ve just watched one… I can’t remember what it’s called but it’s got Rocky and Arnold Schwarzenegger in [Escape Plan] – it’s where they break out of prison. It’s good, I like it.

“I’ve also been listening to bit of Post Malone. Drake as well, but everyone listens to him don’t they? There are few different artists, I’ll just put shuffle on. We’ll also play FIFA, pool or ping-pong among the lads, but Love Island was the only TV I was watching!”

As we prepare to wrap up our interview to head to the day’s first training session in the sweltering Hong Kong heat, there’s time for one final poser.

Given the upward trajectory of his last 12 months, in an ideal world what would Woodburn like to be reflecting on if we were to sit down again on Liverpool’s summer tour of 2018?

“I’d start off by winning our next game!” he says in a manner that contradicts his tender age. “After that? I’d like to have played a good amount of games and hopefully the team had won at least one trophy and done well in the Champions League and Premier League.

“I’m just taking things as they come at the moment. I set myself a few targets, but ultimately I just want to play some games, hopefully score some goals and win matches.

“I sort of feel like I am establishing myself in the first-team set-up, but I know there is a long, long way to get to where I want to be. I am happy with what happened last season, but there’s so much hard work still to do and a long way to go for me.

“I just want to show everyone what I can do at the moment and show progression from last season.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/269668-the-past-present-and-future-ben-woodburn-in-his-own-words
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Cohiba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
Re: Ben Woodburn; the boy is going places
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2017, 09:33:44 am »
Good read that, thanks for posting Tommylfc. I have high hopes for this lad, particularly if he bulks up a bit. He possibly needs a little growth spurt as well. He reminds me of when Gerrard was breaking out into the first team. I remember Gerrards growth spurts and the resulting back injuries from this as his body developed.  I truly hope we dont put too much pressure or expectation on him, and afford him some patience. The last thing he needs is some 'supporters' on his back as he grows into the team over the next few years, when we have a real gem long term on our hands. Him, Ryan Kent and TAA are all such exciting future prospects, praise to the academy.
Every great achievement
Was believed to be impossible at one time

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:55 am »
Thanks for posting

Watching him play is surreal because his composure technique and decision making are like someone in their mid 20s. It's ridiculous he can play like he does at 17

The questions I've got over him are physical. Not sure whether he'll have the pace and dynamism
to impact games at the top level. These days if you don't you have to be other worldly from a technical point of view

Anyway hope he continues to develop - he's a special talent for sure

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #224 on: July 29, 2017, 11:07:18 am »
Thanks for posting

Watching him play is surreal because his composure technique and decision making are like someone in their mid 20s. It's ridiculous he can play like he does at 17

The questions I've got over him are physical. Not sure whether he'll have the pace and dynamism
to impact games at the top level. These days if you don't you have to be other worldly from a technical point of view

Anyway hope he continues to develop - he's a special talent for sure
He's only 17....

Plenty of time to develop, and not all player have pace and dynamism, David Silva being an example..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2017, 11:27:09 am »
I bet there's a temptation to loan him out, but I really hope he stays and works with Klopp every day. I think he will be a really solid squad player this year too.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2017, 11:30:58 am »
Good read that, thanks for posting Tommylfc. I have high hopes for this lad, particularly if he bulks up a bit. He possibly needs a little growth spurt as well. He reminds me of when Gerrard was breaking out into the first team. I remember Gerrards growth spurts and the resulting back injuries from this as his body developed.  I truly hope we dont put too much pressure or expectation on him, and afford him some patience. The last thing he needs is some 'supporters' on his back as he grows into the team over the next few years, when we have a real gem long term on our hands. Him, Ryan Kent and TAA are all such exciting future prospects, praise to the academy.

He'll get supporters on his back because it's Liverpool and the crowd are ridiculously demanding. He'll be fine I think. He's a class player, and I think he'll show it the more he grows into his body. His game's not about pace, it's about misdirection. He gets people off balance and goes the other direction, like Lallana.

Interesting to see him talking about not giving the ball away. I don't think it's a big problem for him but good to see he's thinking about it.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2017, 11:47:09 am »
He has strength, no idea how anyone who has watched him regularly can doubt that. Same low centre of gravity as Sterling who had strength in abundance for such a small player and he's as quick as Phil on the ball. He'll play plenty of games this season as Klopp believes in him and will surround him with Hendo and Lallana and Gini. He will learn how to break lines this season with the dynamism we have already seen both in training and U23. That's his next step and the only place he will learn that is on the pitch both training and playing. Not a chance he is going on loan. The future is bright with Ove, Trent, Marko, Joe, Ryan and the bold Ben
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2017, 12:13:42 pm »
I bet there's a temptation to loan him out, but I really hope he stays and works with Klopp every day. I think he will be a really solid squad player this year too.

There certainly wouldn't be for Klopp or any right minded supporter surely.   He's a precious talent, still very young with loads to learn, there's nowhere else better for him to continue his education and keep learning from a world class manager.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #229 on: July 29, 2017, 12:45:59 pm »
He's only 17....

Plenty of time to develop, and not all player have pace and dynamism, David Silva being an example..

Julian Weigl from Dortmund was my thought, a couple inches taller than Woodburn, but apparently weighs a few pounds less. Technique and vision is his game, could be the same for Woodburn
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2017, 02:36:59 am »
He's only 17....

You've gone and made Jack's point for him there. Silva's technique is otherworldly. And he's surprisingly quick over the first 5 metres. I think the importance of that acceleration and power gets underrated an awful lot.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2017, 12:36:40 pm »
You've gone and made Jack's point for him there. Silva's technique is otherworldly. And he's surprisingly quick over the first 5 metres. I think the importance of that acceleration and power gets underrated an awful lot.

The other thing that get's underestimated is game intelligence, and Ben has it already. It could well be he ends up in midfield, but for now let's just give the lad a chance, before we throw him in the bin because he lacks a bit of "pace."
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2017, 04:36:09 am »
The other thing that get's underestimated is game intelligence, and Ben has it already. It could well be he ends up in midfield, but for now let's just give the lad a chance, before we throw him in the bin because he lacks a bit of "pace."

I don't think anyone's 'throwing him in the bin'. He's obviously very good and everyone's desperate for him to make the next step.

I agree with Jack's position, but I think it's something that applies to everyone and every skill set.

There are not many players that succeed without having a 'superpower'. Some players are ridiculously fast. Some players are technically superb. Some players have a combination of both. But rarely do you have a player that's kinda got some speed and kinda got some technique, and is neat and tidy, who ends up being a top player. Rarely, you have a player whose intelligence is their primary trait - Lahm and Muller are two recent ones who fall into that category, but even then you'd have to say Muller is a pretty tremendous finisher.

So I think we do need to see a bit more of something from Ben. He's damn good, to the extent that if you put him on the pitch, he doesn't let you down. But you need more than 'not let you down'. You need players in his position to make a difference, and to do that he needs to be a bit more special - whether that's through otherworldly finishing, movement, or something technical. I don't think he'll ever be a physically dominant player.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 6, 2017, 12:23:15 am »
realy good goal against Bilbao...

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #234 on: August 6, 2017, 12:26:35 am »

He took it really well a lovely composed finish. He had another good game, and can be really pleased with his effort this pre-season. Looking forward to following Ben's progress into the new season. I still have a feeling he'll end up in midfield, but it will be fascinating to see where Klopp finally decides is his best position.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #235 on: August 6, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
He's a very special talent, I can't wait to see how he develops under Klopp.

His goal yesterday was outstanding.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #236 on: August 6, 2017, 12:31:37 am »

Yeah Silva might be the best player in the world at finding 2-3 yards of space in the final third. He's a freak.
Totally agree with your point about acceleration - it makes the difference at the top level especially in them modern game against the bigger, more athletic players that dominate.
I do genuinely think Woodburn has a chance - its really unusual to be playing at the level he is at his age without physical freakery...so he has a shot... but he's going to have to keep improving the stuff we're talking about to elite levels if he's going to be top class.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 6, 2017, 12:33:12 am »

Was lovely. Surprised to see it's taken a few days since his thread was mentioned. He's going to play a part this season... a bigger part than any expected I think it's fair to say. Haven't quite got my head around that as yet, but that goal was very very nice. Hmnn.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #238 on: August 6, 2017, 12:57:11 am »
Was lovely. Surprised to see it's taken a few days since his thread was mentioned. He's going to play a part this season... a bigger part than any expected I think it's fair to say. Haven't quite got my head around that as yet, but that goal was very very nice. Hmnn.

Au, fucking contraire, mate.......You ain't seen nothing yet with this young fellah me lad
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 6, 2017, 01:26:49 am »
he's going to have to keep improving the stuff we're talking about to elite levels if he's going to be top class.

This is a very good point, unfortunately. As you say though, he's got a shot at becoming a first teamer and I don't think our academy's produced someone with the technical attributes he has for quite some time - Suso had a lot of ability of course, but I don't think he counts really and I think Woodburn's ahead of him at the same age. Sterling was a better dribbler but I don't think he had the all round game Woodburn has, though he had excellent acceleration and good top speed which made the difference.

He's 17 so still the possibility of a bit more growth (though it's unlikely to be much, if at all), but if he was a wee bit faster I'd say he's be nailed on to be a first team starter sooner rather than later. He seems pretty strong for his size but again, it's not a defining trait of his. Even without the physical attributes, the two footedness, dribbling, passing and the fact that he seems to play with his head up make me think we've potentially got the makings of a very good player here. I think we're going to have a lot of fun watching him develop.