Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 368268 times)

Online Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:08 am »
A chance to right three monumental wrongs, cracking news I say.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline AggerCarra

• Main Stander
  • S E R B I A
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:43 am »
Give movie to Nolan. He make Luke depressed cutting wrists. Make it like Watchmen, no hope, no sun. All terrible idea to make episode 7.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2012, 11:48:39 am »
Are Disney and George Lucas Hiding Something?
By Kevin Roose

There are only a few reasons why, if you're Disney, you announce that you're buying George Lucas's film studio for $4 billion today, in the middle of an impenetrable news cycle surrounding a major natural disaster, and when U.S. stock markets are closed:

1. You want to cheer up the citizens of storm-damaged cities on the East Coast by giving them a new Star Wars film to look forward to.

2. You were going to announce the deal this week anyway, and somewhat callously decided not to delay the release just because Hurricane Sandy happened.

3. The deal is a financial dud, and you want to get the news out with minimum scrutiny.

Based on what little we know of the finances of Lucasfilm (which was private, and 100 percent owned by George Lucas, until today), I'm guessing that something closer to option 3 is happening.

George Lucas, now 68 years old and entering the twilight of a long and successful career, clearly had incentives to sell out. He'll get half of the $4 billion purchase in cash, and will be able to hand the Star Wars franchise over to Disney, who will have the energy and the wherewithal to milk it for all it's worth. (On a conference call today, Disney executives said they planned to release a new Star Wars movie every two to three years, beginning in 2015.) Disney will also get the Indiana Jones franchise out of the deal.

Compared to its other acquisitions (most notably, its 2006 purchase of Pixar for $7.4 billion), Disney is buying LucasFilm for a steal. And at a glance, $4 billion does look low for an iconic movie series. Earlier this year, 24/7 Wall Street ran some back-of-envelope calculations and estimated that the Star Wars franchise alone was worth upwards of $30 billion.

But there's no way a $30 billion valuation is even remotely accurate, given that George Lucas was willing to sell his entire company for roughly one-eighth of that.

It's true that Star Wars has sold many, many billions of dollars worth of merchandise, video games, movie tickets, and licenses. But Disney isn't buying LucasFilm for what Star Wars has already made — it's buying it based on what it believes the franchise can earn in the future. And that is much, much less certain.

Disney called Star Wars an "evergreen" media property today. But the prospect of keeping the Star Wars series going ad infinitum, and expanding it to regions and age groups in which it isn't already well known or loved, is far from a sure bet with consumers. It essentially amounts to wagering that die-hards will continue to flock to anything with the Star Wars name on it, while also betting that new movies will draw a younger generation that didn't grow up on Millenium Falcon references.

Disney can't rely on old intellectual property — it needs Lucasfilm to keep throwing off cash to justify its $4 billion price tag. But with aging cultural cachet (the first Star Wars came out 35 years ago) and a consumer base that has lots of other popular franchises clamoring for its attention, it's hard to think that the marketing machine of a decade ago can keep chugging along at pace. As this chart from Box Office Mojo points out, recent Star Wars movies (adjusted for ticket price inflation) have generally underperformed older ones. Why would newer versions, released by Disney, fare any better?
George Lucas, who has seen the Star Wars franchise go from revered cultural touchstone to virtual punchline, may have accepted a lowball bid in an effort to wash his hands of the series altogether. But I doubt it. We won't know for sure until Disney reports LucasFilm's financials, but it seems to me that Lucas may have gotten the better deal here.

If Disney can't keep a parade of Star Wars sequels from suffering diminishing returns, its "evergreen" acquisition may be more like a wilting flower. And if Disney knows it overpaid, or even senses it might have, then burying the news makes all the sense in the world.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/are-disney-and-george-lucas-hiding-something.html
that article is a load of shit, really. Disney hid the buy until a major story hit because they think they got a bad deal?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:30 am »
Based on the Canon and what Lucas said in the 80/90s it would be the rebuilding of the Republic and Luke becoming a Jedi Master - Luke's kids and Lea/Solo's all become jedi and some of them being dark lords.. So lots of places they could go.
I can't wait to see who's going to be playing Luke, Han, Leah and the others. Should be good for a laugh.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:01 pm »
that article is a load of shit, really. Disney hid the buy until a major story hit because they think they got a bad deal?

Edit: An embarrassing load of shit. It's not journalism, it's distasteful shit stirring.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2012, 01:00:09 pm »
If you like these kind of movies look at Summer 2015:

The Justice League
The Avengers 2
Star Wars Episode 7

Can the box office sustain it?
I think the new Batman reboot releases in  2015 as well.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:56 pm »
Are Disney and George Lucas Hiding Something?
By Kevin Roose

There are only a few reasons why, if you're Disney, you announce that you're buying George Lucas's film studio for $4 billion today, in the middle of an impenetrable news cycle surrounding a major natural disaster, and when U.S. stock markets are closed:

1. You want to cheer up the citizens of storm-damaged cities on the East Coast by giving them a new Star Wars film to look forward to.

2. You were going to announce the deal this week anyway, and somewhat callously decided not to delay the release just because Hurricane Sandy happened.

3. The deal is a financial dud, and you want to get the news out with minimum scrutiny.

Based on what little we know of the finances of Lucasfilm (which was private, and 100 percent owned by George Lucas, until today), I'm guessing that something closer to option 3 is happening.

George Lucas, now 68 years old and entering the twilight of a long and successful career, clearly had incentives to sell out. He'll get half of the $4 billion purchase in cash, and will be able to hand the Star Wars franchise over to Disney, who will have the energy and the wherewithal to milk it for all it's worth. (On a conference call today, Disney executives said they planned to release a new Star Wars movie every two to three years, beginning in 2015.) Disney will also get the Indiana Jones franchise out of the deal.

Compared to its other acquisitions (most notably, its 2006 purchase of Pixar for $7.4 billion), Disney is buying LucasFilm for a steal. And at a glance, $4 billion does look low for an iconic movie series. Earlier this year, 24/7 Wall Street ran some back-of-envelope calculations and estimated that the Star Wars franchise alone was worth upwards of $30 billion.

But there's no way a $30 billion valuation is even remotely accurate, given that George Lucas was willing to sell his entire company for roughly one-eighth of that.

It's true that Star Wars has sold many, many billions of dollars worth of merchandise, video games, movie tickets, and licenses. But Disney isn't buying LucasFilm for what Star Wars has already made — it's buying it based on what it believes the franchise can earn in the future. And that is much, much less certain.

Disney called Star Wars an "evergreen" media property today. But the prospect of keeping the Star Wars series going ad infinitum, and expanding it to regions and age groups in which it isn't already well known or loved, is far from a sure bet with consumers. It essentially amounts to wagering that die-hards will continue to flock to anything with the Star Wars name on it, while also betting that new movies will draw a younger generation that didn't grow up on Millenium Falcon references.

Disney can't rely on old intellectual property — it needs Lucasfilm to keep throwing off cash to justify its $4 billion price tag. But with aging cultural cachet (the first Star Wars came out 35 years ago) and a consumer base that has lots of other popular franchises clamoring for its attention, it's hard to think that the marketing machine of a decade ago can keep chugging along at pace. As this chart from Box Office Mojo points out, recent Star Wars movies (adjusted for ticket price inflation) have generally underperformed older ones. Why would newer versions, released by Disney, fare any better?
George Lucas, who has seen the Star Wars franchise go from revered cultural touchstone to virtual punchline, may have accepted a lowball bid in an effort to wash his hands of the series altogether. But I doubt it. We won't know for sure until Disney reports LucasFilm's financials, but it seems to me that Lucas may have gotten the better deal here.

If Disney can't keep a parade of Star Wars sequels from suffering diminishing returns, its "evergreen" acquisition may be more like a wilting flower. And if Disney knows it overpaid, or even senses it might have, then burying the news makes all the sense in the world.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/are-disney-and-george-lucas-hiding-something.html

Or:

4. The deal was about to leak and they rushed it out

5. The deal had timeframes and deadlines built in months ago

What a load of nonsense otherwise, the biggest audience for the prequels was little kids who mostly didn't even know the original films. The movies were aimed at them and while they didn't do as well as the originals they still made an obscene amount of money.

And of course the brand still has an enormous cultural presence. Games, toys, cartoons etc are still released in their dozens every year.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »
Wonder if they will stick with EU, or go off on one.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2012, 01:16:03 pm »
Disney have been very good in recent years with their acquisitions, they've made on average 7.5 billion a year profit for the past 5 years, financially very astute, can't see how this is a bad deal for them, nor for Lucas.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2012, 01:40:59 pm »
Or:

4. The deal was about to leak and they rushed it out

5. The deal had timeframes and deadlines built in months ago

What a load of nonsense otherwise, the biggest audience for the prequels was little kids who mostly didn't even know the original films. The movies were aimed at them and while they didn't do as well as the originals they still made an obscene amount of money.

As was this in fairness.

This article sums up what I've been thinking pretty well. Although I would love to see an Edgar Wright Star Wars film...

http://badassdigest.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-is-saved/

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2012, 01:50:03 pm »
Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.  Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Fact is if GL is still involved I'll be surprised if the quality improves.  And he's got a feckin' cheek talking about handing the franchise over imo.  He handed the franchise over to people far more creative than him - Timothy Zahn for one - 20 odd years ago, and decided to crap on their contribution to his creation in the prequels, even though they had made an infinitely better contribution.

The problem with using the books will be convincing millions of people to watch a film of a story they likely know inside out.  I love Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Talon Karrde etc and think they deserve an on screen presence but I think it would be a mistake to just film the books.

That said, although I don't see how you can "reboot" the original trilogy, especially given the number of times Lucas has 'upgraded it', I'd certainly welcome a reboot of the concept.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »
What would the seventh film be based on? Original material or the expanded universe?

Lucas always had 9 parts to the Star Wars saga... He chose to start at part 4 as he thought that would be he best stand alone movie... The success of that lead to parts 5 and 6 .

The new parts 1-3 were crap in my opinion part 3 the only one near the class of the originals.

Hopefully Disney will bin off the jar jar twat and base them on the darker films,  5 and 3.
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »
Star Wars world at Disney land must be next.
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YyqlTi7lkhY#!" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YyqlTi7lkhY#!</a>

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »
Bob Iger Says Disney Will Focus On Mobile And Social (Not Console) Star Wars Games

The big emphasis during Disney’s conference call discussing its acquisition of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion was, not surprisingly, the enormous earnings potential of the Star Wars franchise. And that includes gaming — so one of the analysts asked for more details about Disney’s interactive strategy.

CEO Bob Iger responded that the company is “likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.” However, he added that Disney will look at console games “opportunistically,” using licensing deals to allow other companies to create Star Wars games for cosnoles.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:55 pm »
This bullshit about him always planning 9 films has to stop. He barely planned the first three, let alone others. He just said that at the time to make it look like he had a fucking clue.

Lucas got lucky with empire and hasbeendogshit ever since. He didn't even like esb himself, he's a clueless berk.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2012, 02:16:59 pm »
I think the new Batman reboot releases in  2015 as well.

Not heard anything about that but Batman is in the Justice League so I don't think that can happen.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:27 pm »
This bullshit about him always planning 9 films has to stop. He barely planned the first three, let alone others. He just said that at the time to make it look like he had a fucking clue.

Lucas got lucky with empire and hasbeendogshit ever since. He didn't even like esb himself, he's a clueless berk.

I said this before and wholeheartedly agree. People have to realise Lucas spinning the truth in this regard to seem more impressive.

Irvin Kershner directed ESB with Lawrence Kasdan finalising the script which was why it was good, quite a lot of dialogue was changed including the famous "I know" to Leia's "I love you". Originally Lucas had it at "I love you too".

No surprise that the prequels romance dialogue sucked...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:27:02 pm by JohnHobbes »

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:33 pm »
Not heard anything about that but Batman is in the Justice League so I don't think that can happen.

The Justice League movie IS the Batman reboot isn't it?
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »
The Justice League movie IS the Batman reboot isn't it?

I haven't heard anything about that to be honest. Not sure how DC are going to swing it, seeing as they only have Man of Steel coming out next year to build up to TJL.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »
Very intrigued to see what they come out with. Looking forward to announcements and seeing stills, trailers etc.

Who do we think could play Luke, Leia and Han?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2012, 02:35:35 pm »
Very intrigued to see what they come out with. Looking forward to announcements and seeing stills, trailers etc.

Who do we think could play Luke, Leia and Han?

so long as Shea le Bouf doesn't get near it, i'll be happy enough.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »
An oldie, but a goodie...

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »
so long as Shea le Bouf doesn't get near it, i'll be happy enough.

I can see him playing Han...

Offline snoop123

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2012, 02:46:10 pm »
Star Wars world at Disney land must be next.

they have had star wars themed rides and attractions at disney as far back as the 1980s.
They had star tours ride at disney world when i went there in 1987.
Liverpool are magic!! Everton are tragic

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:53 pm »
As was this in fairness.

How so? They're making completely different points.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »
Disney also do Star Wars weekends, which seem quite popular.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »
I would suspect the reason Disney would want this is because there are already a shed load of different cartoons, toys, games and franchises based on Star Wars. It's an easy product to fit into their 'portfolio'. I would doubt that they would have that much creative input into another film.
The reason they want it is because of the cashflow.
Interesting - I'm surprised Lucas let go of this.....but then again £4b is a decent bit of cash!
If they do it properly, they'll make that back many times over.

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »
I'll spunk if we get a decent unaltered print on blu-ray
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2012, 05:07:02 pm »
They could give the universe to Pixar for some sort of spin-off? Might not fit the 'preferred' aesthetic of the canon, but they'd do a really good job with the depth of lore available to them. And these days, who knows what the fuck counts as canon in the SW universe, so much shit has been changed, removed or added.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2012, 06:03:14 pm »
Take out the Greedo shit and the remastered late 90's versions are better than the originals.

There. I said it.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2012, 06:05:06 pm »
The Jabba scene is awful and pointless.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2012, 06:10:33 pm »
The Jabba scene is awful and pointless.

A perfect indicator of what horrors he was about to inflict on us with the prequels.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2012, 06:11:54 pm »
A perfect indicator of what horrors he was about to inflict on us with the prequels.
ha, so sad but true.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2012, 06:13:22 pm »
The CGI was shit, but the scene itself was fine.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2012, 06:36:00 pm »
It was pointless. Greedo tells Han Jabba wants to see him, he wants his money. Five minutes later Jabba tells Han he wants his money.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »
Disney have been very good in recent years with their acquisitions, they've made on average 7.5 billion a year profit for the past 5 years, financially very astute, can't see how this is a bad deal for them, nor for Lucas.
Disney - $7.5 Billion profit. Disney, mainly centred around kids. How kids are destitute in this world? I know I know, wrong thread, how about British Gas. I just find it obscene. Carry on.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »
Irvin Kershner directed ESB with Lawrence Kasdan finalising the script which was why it was good, quite a lot of dialogue was changed including the famous "I know" to Leia's "I love you". Originally Lucas had it at "I love you too".

No surprise that the prequels romance dialogue sucked...

The last good movie Lucas directed was 35 years ago (the original Star Wars). The best stuff that has come under his name as a producer n recent years has been due to the efforts of others. Kasdan and Kershner with Empire Strikes Back, Spielberg (director) and Kasdan (screenwriter) for Indiana Jones. Even the "I know" line was ad-libbed by Harrison Ford. When you read some of the ideas Lucas had that were dropped from some of the films LucasFilm produced, you feel glad that someone else was involved. It was Philip Kaufman (later director of The Right Stuff) who came up with the idea of the Ark of the Covenant. It was Spielberg who came up with the boulder chase. Lucas wanted Indiana Jones to be more like a Bond style playboy, until Kasdan and Spielberg reined him in.  It was Lucas who came up with the idea for the last Indiana Jones film to involve aliens, crystal skulls and fridges capable of surviving nuclear fallout. Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, Walking Dead) wrote a script, which Spielberg approved of, involving Indiana Jones being pursued by ex-Nazis in South America. Lucas rejected it and decided at one point he wanted to write it himself.

It's amazing how Lucas has managed to fashion himself into some sort of cinematic visionary throughout the years, when in reality his greatest trick was to see that there would be a market for film merchandise. In fact most of the problems people have with him have been the entire focus on control of mostly off-camera matters: the unwillingness to kill of Han Solo (despite Kasdan and Ford believing it should happen) in Return of the Jedi because it might affect merchandise sales, consulting with child psychologists about whether Darth Vader should be confirmed as Luke's father in Return of the Jedi, Jar-Jar Binks, continually modifying his films and refusing to release originals etc etc
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:03:45 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2012, 07:00:46 pm »
It was pointless. Greedo tells Han Jabba wants to see him, he wants his money. Five minutes later Jabba tells Han he wants his money.
Completly agree. If he so badly wanted to add Jabba, then he needed to do something about the scrip and chop/edit it. It just doesnt flow. Han leaves the bar after being told something for him to walk into the hanger to be told the same bloody thing.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.