Author Topic: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????  (Read 67044 times)

Offline lordcisse

• Kopite
Re: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2007, 01:22:57 pm »
when i was a kid he was one of my favourite players, he was a boss player like, and sometimes he's probably not remembered for bein as good as he was, but that is probably a lot to do with seein him on telly now and him bein a right tit. I dont know why setanta thought thatd be a good idea. Do they really think thats gonna compete with skY???

he was a quality player, mybe a legend...but he is a bit of nob

Offline londonscouse56

• RAOTL's Pearly King
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2007, 01:24:29 pm »
He was a very good player for us who could change/win a match at any given time. But at the end of the day he is a bluenose and as such his opinions mean f*ck-all in the great scheme of things.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:44 pm »
Absolute utter Garbage being posted in this thread, think the treble year, Istanbul and Cardiff have clouded a few peoples judgement of McManaman and his contribution to LFC from his break through as a raw teenager till the time he left for Real Madrid.

The lads playing ability is unquestioned, the best player Ive seen for us bar Gerrard. You don't get to play for Liverpool & Real Madrid and win European trophies unless you are truly a great player.

At the time of his move to Real, he was the most sought after player in Europe.

It's already been stated that he carried us between 98 - 99, I'd go further and say it was for a lot longer, at least 4 season from 1995.

Yes, he's a blue nose and now says some things on setanta that we might not want him to, but the fact that he left on a Bosman seem's to have made a few Reds bitter, just like peoples attitude to Owen.

Both are Legends in my eyes, just a shame some of you can't seem to admit how important both where to LFC during their times with the club. What Gerrard is to us now, both Owen and McManaman where at different periods for LFC.

Spot on....finally!

People are completely mixing up their personal feelings about a player and the contribution the player made to the team.

Although I do not consider McManaman a true Liverpool Legend, he was a brilliant player for us, even if people do think he is a bit of a knob these days.

The same applies to Owen.  It cannot be denied what he achieved here as a player.

Mark Lawrenson is a Legend at this club, or at least I think so.  But I cant stand the guy....does this mean we take away his status?

Offline Roy The Red

• Main Stander
  • I Am So Red Even My Hair is Red
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »
Macca on the field is a legend, pundit wise just a pure and utter beaut.

Bill Shankly :"If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains."

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2007, 01:28:22 pm »
to be honest, if everybody didn't have such a bitter view of Houllier, by first glance of people's blurry definitions of a tosser/gobshite etc in this thread, Fowler should be too, considering the manner McManaman left the club seems to be what these people are clinging on to.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2007, 01:29:42 pm »
I don't understand, mate.^
Watch your back.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2007, 01:38:02 pm »
I don't understand, mate.^

Fowler couldn't cope with the change when Houllier came. His attitude absolutely stank and I don't believe the biased view he published in his autobiography for one second. Under Evans, he got away with murder. Houllier instigated a more disciplined regime and Fowler was left in the lurch because he didn't feel the rules applied to him. As it happened, we had Michael Owen and didn't particularly miss him. We enjoyed our best season under Houllier with Fowler as third-choice.

Houllier certainly wasn't entirely innocent, but that is not how a professional should act and the manner he left the club, coming immediately after a training-ground dispute where Fowler allegedly twatted a ball at Phil Thompson summed everything up about him.

The only difference I can see is we got a fee for Fowler and McManaman left on a bosman at a time when we really could have done with the money for him. If that is what constitutes a twat/gobshite/tosser then fair enough, but he's not alone and he wasn't the worst offender in that AWOL side we had in the 90s.

Offline Wirral Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2007, 01:45:01 pm »
neither legend or big time charlie - just a tosser

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2007, 02:24:56 pm »
to be honest, if everybody didn't have such a bitter view of Houllier, by first glance of people's blurry definitions of a tosser/gobshite etc in this thread, Fowler should be too, considering the manner McManaman left the club seems to be what these people are clinging on to.

Agree, we herald ourselves as the best supporters in the world, but the esteem Owen, McManaman and Houllier are held in is suspect, bordering on the contempt, despite being great servants, whilst Gary Mac is applauded as a legend. It says something when there are reds who give more respect to Igor Biscan than Steve MacManaman.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:35:28 pm by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2007, 02:29:06 pm »
A slightly better player than an outstandingly average bunch of players we had at that time.

Ha ha

That's why he signed for Real Madrid and won them the European Cup with an amazing virtuoso performance

He'd walk into our team now, he was a truly special player who we have never replaced

Like him or loathe him, his talent was unquestionable

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2007, 02:29:08 pm »
i agree with garstonite

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2007, 02:31:07 pm »
Agree, we hereld ourselves as the best supporters in the world, but the esteem Owen, McManaman and Houllier are held in is suspect, bordering on the contempt, despite being great servants, whilst Gary Mac is applauded as a legend - it says something when there are reds who give more respect to Igor Biscan than Steve MacManaman.

First thing you ask of as a fan is that the players give their best for the club.. they're not all gonna have the talent of pele, you just hope they respect the effort and pain you put in as a supporter.

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2007, 02:33:52 pm »
Would he get into an all time Liverpool 11? Not even near a squad rotation in my opinion. He was a decent layer on his day but lets not forget how shite we were back then, one of the better of a bad bunch.
People should calm down with the word legend cos it leads to daft debates like this.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2007, 02:36:24 pm »
Would he get into an all time Liverpool 11? Not even near a squad rotation in my opinion. He was a decent layer on his day but lets not forget how shite we were back then, one of the better of a bad bunch.
People should calm down with the word legend cos it leads to daft debates like this.

What's all this about an all time XI? Liverpool have had hundreds of players and to think only 11 of them can be considered top quality players.. well - sort it out.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2007, 02:39:29 pm »
Ha ha

That's why he signed for Real Madrid and won them the European Cup with an amazing virtuoso performance

He'd walk into our team now, he was a truly special player who we have never replaced

Like him or loathe him, his talent was unquestionable

this is absolutely right.

he carried our team for at least 3 years and anyone that denies this is using whatever personal feelings they have about him to colour their assessment of him as a player

as a person hes probably one of the most misunderstood in football by media and fans

as a pundit i couldnt care less - punditry is unfailingly inane

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2007, 02:41:17 pm »
Simple really Dalgleish, Rush, Hansen, etc would class as legends and be part of most peoples greatest 11, which would = legends would ste mac? would he shite... Sorted

Offline Steele_uk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2007, 02:44:54 pm »
He was a good player, but definately not a great. I never felt you got 100% with him. Ok , he could do some amazing twirly runs, but he could also frustrate the life out of you - beat 3 players, lose the ball then stand there waiting for someone to win it back for him.

I wasn't fussed when he left.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2007, 02:48:36 pm »
He shits all over JP thats for sure.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2007, 02:51:03 pm »
Simple really Dalgleish, Rush, Hansen, etc would class as legends and be part of most peoples greatest 11, which would = legends would ste mac? would he shite... Sorted

Ian Callaghan would get no where near a greatest Liverpool 11, he's a legend.
Same applies to Billy Liddel, most people name Rush, King Kenny, fowler & even Keegan ahead of him, he's still a legend.

Even so, I'm struggling to think of 2 better right wingers than Mcmanaman, IMO he's not far off the greatest Liverpoll 11, as has been pointed out, he's never been replaced.
With a club as great as ours, with the many great players that have played for us, being in the all time 11, shouldn't and isn't a barometer for legendary status.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2007, 02:54:23 pm »
I never felt you got 100%

No, not from a player that once held the premiership record for consecutive appearnaces. Never missed a league game in nearly 5 seasons.

The only thing that affected his form, was the not so well documented cancer that was affecting his mother in his last season with Liverpool  ::)

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2007, 02:59:25 pm »
I dont think his punditry is as awful as most people are making out...is it because he doesnt always back Liverpool 100%?

Also, in his comments after the match he didnt have a bad thing to say about us;

The former player
Liverpool were well worth the victory. I felt sorry for Jamie Carragher, because he was outstanding. As always when Liverpool play well, he and Steven Gerrard were at the hub of things. Whether it was a foul or not leading to the winner, that's immaterial - there are a thousand free kicks in a game, some are deserved and some aren't. The hard part is sticking it away from 25 yards. To go and do that with two or three minutes to go - the man's a legend.
Steve McManaman

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/last_match/match_analysis/index.htm

I dont see much wrong with that
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2007, 03:04:14 pm »
Not a legend, dont know about the other one.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:26 pm »
The Setanta reporter (interviews at the end) wants shooting. Or sacking, whichever is easiest.
M'eh

Offline Sarah B

• Main Stander
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:44 pm »
Good player, but why a legend?

Offline Rickson Gracie

• Anny Roader
  • That's it 3-0 - game well and truly over!
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2007, 03:15:23 pm »
He was a good player, but as a pundit seems to be vying with Redknapp to be the biggest twat on TV :no

Offline Sarah B

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2007, 03:18:28 pm »
Redknapp and that annoying whiny cockney voice on every single game is staring to get on my nerves. He's only on because he's a decent looking lad.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2007, 03:20:03 pm »
Redknapp and that annoying whiny cockney voice on every single game is staring to get on my nerves. He's only on because he's a decent looking lad.
No, he on because he's a media natural. Seriously.
M'eh

Offline Sarah B

• Main Stander
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2007, 03:24:12 pm »
I'd rather have someone on who knows what he's talking about.

I knew he'd bring Gerrard up yesterday, with that smug look on his face. Not sure there's anything worse for a top manager like Rafa than getting managerial advice from the likes of Jamie Redknapp and Ruud Gullit.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2007, 03:38:36 pm »
From my short time here, it seems that the good people of RAWK don't like pundits or journalists, in general.
M'eh

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2007, 03:38:54 pm »
Shaggy was pretty good. Maybe not legend but pretty damn good...
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline jono b

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2007, 03:53:28 pm »
I'v only read the first 2 pages of this thread but i am surprised about how fickle some of you are being. Mcmanaman was outstanding in his first full season, 91-92 and was probably the man of the match in the F.A cup final that year. He then had a couple of inconsistent seasons but he was very young and the Liverpool of 92-94 was probably one of the worst sides we've ever had.
From August 1994 until his departure 5 years later, he and Fowler were as important as Gerrard & Carragher today.
My first ever game at Anfield was Autumn 1994 against Sheffield Wednesday and Macca scored a Hatrick. That was around the time of his renaissance and he was probably our most consistent performer that season, winning us the league cup single handedly.
From then until he left he very rarely had a bad game for us. However he did frustrate because he didn't get enough goals but i think people are confusing that with inconsistent performances.

I also take exception to people suggesting he didn't put the effort in or have the heart for the fight. He may not have been a good tackler but he certainly ran his bollox off for the team. My recollection is that he was probably the fittest player in the side covering more distance per game than anyone else. So after 8 years of being one of our best players he went to Madrid to sample football abroad in a very succesful side. I don't think that decision should erase all the positives Steve Mcmanaman brought Liverpool.

People have very short memories.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2007, 03:58:55 pm »
I dont think his punditry is as awful as most people are making out...is it because he doesnt always back Liverpool 100%?

Also, in his comments after the match he didnt have a bad thing to say about us;

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/last_match/match_analysis/index.htm

I dont see much wrong with that

Don't it just a bit of pantomime hate forumming

I remember him featuring in a top LFC 11 of all time a few yrs back

Proper Reds know he was a great player for us, we've not has a player with his skill and heart since he left, sorely missed.

Decent pundit, quality player, class career

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2007, 04:00:41 pm »
he wanted to go abroad, instead of just saying it so we could sell him he fucked about and let his contract run down to secure a huge pay day off madrid, pure and simple!
He knew he was the main man in that team and Evans had no control over the dressing room and he exploited that.
A c*nt but as a player he was very good.

Exactly, how anyone can consider him a legend is beyond me. In fact i think it is a slap in the face of our true legends to even consider him unless you are younger than 30 and cannot really remebr our sides before the Premier league.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:03:46 pm by A Day 2 Remember »
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2007, 04:06:55 pm »
Exactly, how anyone can consider him a legend is beyond me. In fact i think it is a slap in the face of our true legends to even consider him unless you are younger than 30 and cannot really remebr our sides before the Premier league.

You don't have to be over 30 to see the way we have treated contract negotiations with Gerrard/Macca et al to see that our management don't always treat our class players with the respect they deserve, such a practice can come back and hurt you

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2007, 04:08:32 pm »
Put simply, if there was an opportunity (thanks to some distortion in time) to have McManaman in the squad today, I would definitely have him in there. He was a good player, in my opinion, and in many ways what he offered is what we have been missing for a long time.

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2007, 04:16:13 pm »
Put simply, if there was an opportunity (thanks to some distortion in time) to have McManaman in the squad today, I would definitely have him in there. He was a good player, in my opinion, and in many ways what he offered is what we have been missing for a long time.

Lets ask this simple question. Out of the two, who would you want in our current squad.

Barnes or Macca

Barnes in my opinion is a true legend and in comparing the two it becomes evident that Macca cannot be considered a legend.
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline jaymc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2007, 04:17:27 pm »
What makes a legend? Do you have to have won loads of trophies and medals? what about teams like west brom or boro, aren't they allowed to have legends cos they never win anything? Some people wern't brought up with liverpool winning everything. People like dalglish, souness, kennedy etc are players we've read about and seen on videos. Although im proud of our past achievements and greatly admire these legends, ive never seen them play 'live', youv'e got to expect younger fans who grew up with the likes of fowler, mcmanaman etc to have slightly different views. Also i dont see what he's said thats so bad, of course it will be difficult to win the league, i think it will, am i a c*nt? As for him still supporting everton, well i admire that. It could have been so easy for him to change loyaltys, but he's sticking with the team hes supported as a lad.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2007, 04:22:31 pm »
Lets ask this simple question. Out of the two, who would you want in our current squad.

Barnes or Macca

Barnes in my opinion is a true legend and in comparing the two it becomes evident that Macca cannot be considered a legend.

Out of the 2, who would you want Barnes or Dalglish

Dalglish or Pele?

Offline jono b

• Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2007, 04:25:17 pm »

Barnes or Macca

I agree, John Barnes is a true Liverpool Legend whereas the jury would certainly be out on Mcmanaman as a legend. However its not a fair comparison. If Steve Mcmanaman had been in the Liverpool side between 1987 and 1991 he would have won league titles. I believe he was good enough to have been a key player in that side, would that then have made him a legend?

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2007, 04:26:24 pm »
I'v only read the first 2 pages of this thread but i am surprised about how fickle some of you are being. Mcmanaman was outstanding in his first full season, 91-92 and was probably the man of the match in the F.A cup final that year. He then had a couple of inconsistent seasons but he was very young and the Liverpool of 92-94 was probably one of the worst sides we've ever had.
From August 1994 until his departure 5 years later, he and Fowler were as important as Gerrard & Carragher today.
My first ever game at Anfield was Autumn 1994 against Sheffield Wednesday and Macca scored a Hatrick. That was around the time of his renaissance and he was probably our most consistent performer that season, winning us the league cup single handedly.
From then until he left he very rarely had a bad game for us. However he did frustrate because he didn't get enough goals but i think people are confusing that with inconsistent performances.

I also take exception to people suggesting he didn't put the effort in or have the heart for the fight. He may not have been a good tackler but he certainly ran his bollox off for the team. My recollection is that he was probably the fittest player in the side covering more distance per game than anyone else. So after 8 years of being one of our best players he went to Madrid to sample football abroad in a very succesful side. I don't think that decision should erase all the positives Steve Mcmanaman brought Liverpool.

People have very short memories.

Spot on Jono.