Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275164 times)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Yeah I used to get the mixed box and found the darker beers were either all coffee stouts or all underbodied porters.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Love a dark ale or a Porter myself but there is a trend to just stick ‘coffee/vanilla/chocolate’ on the label and provide a generic dark beer with no real body or depth to it.

Titanic Brewery does a phenomenal Cappucino Stout and an even better Chocolate and Vanilla Porter. But there’s a lot of shite easily available in supermarkets in this particular oeuvre of beer.

Had a few Goesser’s this week as I’ve been in Vienna. A really nice Dunkel or two at some of the local bars that have been going down smoothly. Can also still get a €3 pint here even though everything else is comparable to English prices.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
I'm more of a crisp pale ale man. I got the 2nd box today. I got to say, im dreading the stouts. but hey, who knows maybe i'll develop a taste for it.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Had Leffe beer at the weekend. Not a fan.

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
pint or bottle?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Twisted Wheel in Warrington and Wild Beer Co in Bristol both ceased trading yesterday. A couple of the Manchester brewers have stopped in recent months as well. It's really hitting the industry hard.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Twisted Wheel in Warrington and Wild Beer Co in Bristol both ceased trading yesterday. A couple of the Manchester brewers have stopped in recent months as well. It's really hitting the industry hard.
More will follow unfortunately. Tough industry to make a living at the moment.

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
I was dreading opening up this porter: Evil Genius - Purple Monkey Dishwasher, Chocolate & Peanut Butter Porter, 6%. Smooth as fuck! Loved it!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was dreading opening up this porter: Evil Genius - Purple Monkey Dishwasher, Chocolate & Peanut Butter Porter, 6%. Smooth as fuck! Loved it!
Sounds nice. Got myself a Portland Stout Porter to try which has some hype in beer-hipster circles. Still not sure how it’s both a Stout and a Porter when one’s made with unmalted barley and the other malted.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I walked past a local brewery/restaurant that closed in November and there's a new one moving in doing work inside just looked at the website and the beers are a bit blah for my tastes,https://www.widowmakerbrewing.com/beers.I always live in hope of a decent Brit style Bitter and Mild.

Offline wozzer

• Main Stander
Anyone tried the Staropramen unfiltered?, Had one last night , very nice. Only seen them in Asda though.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
I have a growing affinity for Dortmunder

• Legacy Fan
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/13/anchor-brewing-closing-beer-san-francisco.
I think i enjoyed Anchor steam when i first came over to the states but i can't remember the last time i drank it.I might have to try and find some before it disappears,if it's still available on the east coast that is.I gotta buddy that works in a bottle shop so hopefully.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/13/anchor-brewing-closing-beer-san-francisco.
I think i enjoyed Anchor steam when i first came over to the states but i can't remember the last time i drank it.I might have to try and find some before it disappears,if it's still available on the east coast that is.I gotta buddy that works in a bottle shop so hopefully.

It's really bad news. You used to get it in the fly in the loaf on hardman street in Liverpool

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Just returned from Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia. Needless to say I poured all sorts down my throat (beers of course).

Croatia - by far the best was a beer called Ozujsko, its the most popular, the locals like it and it tastes good. Tried some called Karlovacko which wasn't a bad drop and also some called Pan, which is essentially Croatian Carlsberg!

Slovenia - Lasko or Union are the main beers of choice. Union beer allllllllllllll day long, lovely drop!

Serbia - without wishing to offend any Serbs we have here, I didn't enjoy the country at all, but the one good thing I found was their Jelen beer, it was a cracking pint and if you do go to Serbia then I suggest you have a go.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Interesting AlphaDelta, thanks for sharing.

Where did you go in Slovenia? I have family in Bled and Jesenice.

On my own drinks, I’ve cut down on the beer as I’ve been training for a 5km pb. Still treating myself to one or two on a Saturday but I’ve been away recently and hit a few bars in Paris. Most of the craft places seem absolutely wedded to IPAs and offer virtually nothing else, barely a pilsner or an abbey to be found. I don’t mind the odd IPA - tried Floret recently and that’s a lovely fresh drink - but I don’t like endless IPAs and limited choices. Did have a nice crisp light wheat beer called La Bete a Blanche.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Interesting AlphaDelta, thanks for sharing.

Where did you go in Slovenia? I have family in Bled and Jesenice.

On my own drinks, I’ve cut down on the beer as I’ve been training for a 5km pb. Still treating myself to one or two on a Saturday but I’ve been away recently and hit a few bars in Paris. Most of the craft places seem absolutely wedded to IPAs and offer virtually nothing else, barely a pilsner or an abbey to be found. I don’t mind the odd IPA - tried Floret recently and that’s a lovely fresh drink - but I don’t like endless IPAs and limited choices. Did have a nice crisp light wheat beer called La Bete a Blanche.

Cheers Sang, we went to Ljubljana then drove across to Sentjur and into Croatia. Loved Slovenia, beautiful country and really friendly people.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Guinness cans with their device.

I'm having a few tonight with a glass I pinched from a bar.

Using the device about two years. The pints are like cream tonight
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
^ didn't know that was a thing mate, looks like a boss pint - just watched a youtube about how it works - ultrasonic waves!  ;D   :lickin  :hally

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Think the glass even make a difference.

Have them in fridge for at least a day but remove about 20 mins before. Don't want it too cold.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Guinness cans with their device.

I'm having a few tonight with a glass I pinched from a bar.

Using the device about two years. The pints are like cream tonight

Lad in work showed me a pic of one, says it is like finally having a proper Guinness at home

But ya do need special cans

But yep I've heard a good real review

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah between £10 and £12 for 6.

Different from.normal cans

• Legacy Fan
Is this the widget thing they've had for years or something new and funky? used to drink Boddies in cans til the ipa craft bastards drove them outta the pubs!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Having pineapple cider at my local - does brilliant IPA's etc but the cider is a gift from the Gods. ( I don't usually touch cider).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Is this the widget thing they've had for years or something new and funky? used to drink Boddies in cans til the ipa craft bastards drove them outta the pubs!

this is it

specific can needed. you open the can and attach that to the device

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

this is it

I've got this and can confirm it's very good. There is also a little workaround you can use to use it with normal cans where you can use a needle to let the gas out without activating the widget - it's on the old youtube. It's fiddly as fuck like but I've used it successfully with the non-alcoholic Guinness and it's effective & yeah you do need a Guinness glass for it to work 100%.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
Had a Tennants tank beer last weekend. Not as bad as I was expecting. Tennants is rank.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Tesco have a slight offer for Sapporo (for Clubcard holders). It's still £2.50 (for 660ml), but it remains the best lager I've ever had out of a can/bottle. Could only justify to myself buying one at that price, but it really is good

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• Legacy Fan

this is it

Ah nice one,does look like alot of effort when ya can sit a bar waiting for a proper pint. :hally.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Ah nice one,does look like alot of effort when ya can sit a bar waiting for a proper pint. :hally.
when at home though?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The big one in this month's Beermoth selection box. The bourbon hits you first, then all the sweet stuff.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
The big one in this month's Beermoth selection box. The bourbon hits you first, then all the sweet stuff.

Should call that Gout. Sounds too much for me, although without coconut I'd probably be in 😂

• Legacy Fan
It's really bad news. You used to get it in the fly in the loaf on hardman street in Liverpool

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/anchor-steam-final-batch/.
My bud at the liquor store got me a 6 pack yesterday.not gonna try it today was on the Guinness Saturday.
I've had a couple last night enjoyed it much more than i thought i would.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:04:08 pm by Boston always unofficial »

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
Has anyone ever drank out of those 5-litre min-keg things? Not the ones for any of the various devices on the market, just a basic keg that you tap directly from. Just thinking of trying a Paulanar one but wondering if they are actually any better than cans or bottles.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bought a Perfect Draft machine recently. My mum bought me a couple of kegs at Christmas after the guy in the shop told her a machine isn't needed. It pretty much is  :D

Had Leffe Blonde, Jupiler and chilling now for the weekend is a keg of Lowenbrau.

Will definitely be getting the Leffe Blonde again.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
Had a few of these at the weekend and have to say they were delicious , quite strong at  7.4 ,

Limited edition though so might not be around for long , it was a bit like drinking a Tiramisu, strangely adictive
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
^^ Latest from the Brewdog "Punks":

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/10/brewdog-faces-staff-backlash-after-dropping-real-living-wage-pledge

BrewDog faces staff backlash after dropping real living wage pledge

New workers now hired on legal minimum wage and pay frozen for London bar staff amid trading losses

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
^^ Latest from the Brewdog "Punks":

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/10/brewdog-faces-staff-backlash-after-dropping-real-living-wage-pledge

BrewDog faces staff backlash after dropping real living wage pledge

New workers now hired on legal minimum wage and pay frozen for London bar staff amid trading losses
Sound a shower of c*nts to be honest , I remember they were criticised once before over paying shitty wages or such like .

we have a BrewDog pub here in Plymouth and a pint of Punk IPA was £5 80 and directly opposite is a Cosy Club where a pint of Punk IPA was £5.30

This was at the time of lockdown ending and you had to book into a pub for two hours maximum , anyway I got an email asking for feedback from Brewdog and asked them

"Why does it cost 50p a pint more for a beer that you brew yourselves whereas a pub who buy it from you charge less

Never got a response

Shame really as I like their beer (not their pubs though )
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sound a shower of c*nts to be honest , I remember they were criticised once before over paying shitty wages or such like .

we have a BrewDog pub here in Plymouth and a pint of Punk IPA was £5 80 and directly opposite is a Cosy Club where a pint of Punk IPA was £5.30

This was at the time of lockdown ending and you had to book into a pub for two hours maximum , anyway I got an email asking for feedback from Brewdog and asked them

"Why does it cost 50p a pint more for a beer that you brew yourselves whereas a pub who buy it from you charge less

Never got a response

Shame really as I like their beer (not their pubs though )

They are a bunch of c*nts. I know several people who have worked in their brewery/head office up here near Aberdeen who all confirm they are c*nts. Up here, you're surrounded by people who are like members of a cult, because they all bought into the Equity for Punks scheme. They have a huge AGM every year where they all gather in marquees in a city park and have a big piss up.

That said they do get criticism all the time when all the major brewers probably get up to just as bad stuff, but they kind of ask for it with their claims to be punk etc.

I do like Elvis Juice, but generally find their beer to be pretty average.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack

That's a shame. Used to be a regular pick for me when you could get it from the Tesco.