Author Topic: PL: Brighton 0 v Liverpool 1 Salah' 49  (Read 34826 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
PL: Brighton 0 v Liverpool 1 Salah' 49
« on: January 12, 2019, 02:27:28 pm »
Brighton vs Liverpool, Falmer Stadium, 12th January 2019, 3pm

I’d originally written an in-depth introduction blending the history of the town of Brighton with that of Brighton and Hove Albion itself, taking in their top-division highs, brink-of-extinction lows and their resurrection under new owners, along with some of our shared players (get well soon, Michael Robinson). But it’ll keep for a few months. After the last few days I don’t think most of us really feel like a history lesson. What we want is three points on the board and a few goals for good measure.

Pre-game form

Brighton have built on last year’s exploits and sit comfortably clear of the relegation zone despite being tipped by many (including me) to go down. They embody that footballing cliché, the well organised team that pulls together to become more than the sum of its parts, and sit in 13th coming into this game having conceded fewer goals than six teams above them (including two of the top six). Although they haven’t managed to beat any of the big teams, they managed a draw against Arsenal and have pulled off some good results against hotly tipped midtable sides like Wolves, Manchester United and West Ham.

They spent substantially during the summer and although £17m marquee signing Alireza Jahanbakhsh is struggling with injury, ex-Barcelona right back Martin Montoya and left back Bernado have grown into first team regulars. They’re also in a decent run of form, having drawn against Arsenal, beaten Everton and drawn away at West Ham in their last three league games, with Dutch forward Jürgen Locadia finally hitting form and chipping in with a couple of goals.

As for us, I don’t think anyone can look at that Premier League table – the one that says: Played 21, Won 17, Lost 1, Goals 49, Conceded 10 – and not consider this season a huge success so far. If the Manchester City result was deflating and the Wolves game proved a domestic cup run would have to wait another year, it isn’t hard to take solace from the fact we were millimetres and a dodgy refereeing decision away from getting a result in the first game, and a fingertip away from doing the same away at a full-strength top-half team, with what were mostly second stringers and youth players.

The worry of course is that in recent years this club has been a creature of momentum, pulling off strings of fantastic results before coming up short when the pressure is really on. Having said that, the signings of Van Dijk and Allisson have given us a steel at the back it feels like we haven’t had in years, and we still have the best front three in the division. I’m just about old enough to remember our last league title and this is the first time since then that we've had a rigid defence, exciting attack and a strong bench all at the same time. The only thing we need to cap it all off is a little bit of luck.

The Game

So what’s the game going to look like? This is the probable Brighton line up:

We won 1-0 against them at Anfield in August, a game we largely dominated despite playing well under par. They set up in a 4-5-1 with Glenn Murray as the lone striker and Anthony Knockaert and Solly March as wingers, and they did get a couple of chances.

Overall, Brighton have looked strong at the Amex. Earlier on in the season they generally favoured a 4-4-1-1 in the big home games when playmaker Pascal Groß was fit, and gave United a going over, scoring three times in the first half, but lost 2-1 to both Spurs and Chelsea. Against Arsenal and Everton however, they reverted to the 4-5-1 with some success and I don’t think they’ll change for this game.

We know what their strategy is going to be: defend tightly and try to steal a goal on the break. Interestingly, in all Brighton’s big games they’ve been easily second best in the first half but picked up steam noticeably toward the end, so ideally we should be looking to be close this one out early. Only three of the 10 outfield players above started against Bournemouth in the week and they still won 3-1 – they’re going to be up for this.

As for us, injuries have weakened the defence and there’s been a lot of rotation in midfield. It’s tricky to get an exact idea of the team and if anything changes in the next few days I’ll adjust accordingly, but right now I would bet on this:

Fabinho’s presence alongside VVD in defence will hopefully nullify any aerial threat somewhat but we’ll be relying on Henderson and Wijnaldum to block counter attacks and control the midfield with TAA and Robbo pushing up to help. The 4-2-3-1 has worked really well when we’ve been looking to penetrate the defences of weaker teams, and Brighton may well find it very tricky to cope with that kind of fluid front four.

Après-Football

For those travelling down, it’s worth mentioning that as well as great coffee, terrific burgers and miserable stretches of stones the locals call beaches, Brighton is home to one of the most fervent supporters groups outside of Liverpool, the Brighton Kop. The Amex stadium is outside of town near the village of Falmer, but The Anfield Wrap is doing a show at community venue the Brighthelm Centre in the middle of the city on Friday night, there’s going to be an away day party from 11am before the game at the Green Door Store (around the corner from Brighton station), and a charity gig at the Latest Music Bar after the game on the Saturday night. The pubs in the city are pretty good too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:06:31 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Brighton v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 02:28:35 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 02:29:29 pm »

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 03:00:52 pm »
1 We're off at the AMEX! Mon the Reds!
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:03:24 pm »
Trent limped out of the warmup, apparently after aggravating an existing ankle injury.

Declared himself fit though, and has started the game.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:03:37 pm »
Bobby looking sharp!

That was a fine little run.

Cagey opening few minutes - neither team willing to commit too much.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 03:04:03 pm »
4 Cautious start from both sides, the Reds enjoying possession. Worryingly James Milner is warming up, TAA seems to be struggling a bit

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 03:04:56 pm »
Janes Milner is properly warming up now...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 03:06:18 pm »
Fulham go one up with a cracker from Schurle
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 03:06:36 pm »
7 Uneventful opening period, neither side seemingly able to take the game to the opposition

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 03:06:52 pm »
Sounds as though Fab has started well.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 03:08:38 pm »
8 Van Dijk hits a decent long ball for Firmino, Ryan is quick off his line and catches

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 03:09:55 pm »
10 That's better! Robertson played in well by Fabinho, good cross in but Mane and Firmino just about miss the ball. First real opportunity

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 03:10:48 pm »
Reds have just picked the pace up a tiny bit - looked dangerous there

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 03:10:56 pm »
11 Mane looks to send Shaqiri clear through on goal but puts a tad too much on his pass. Chances starting to fall our way

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 03:11:08 pm »
That sounded like a good move. Come on Reds, make it count.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 03:14:07 pm »
14 Slight Brighton threat as they break. Locadia hits one but it's blocked. They attack again and the Dutchman is now flagged offside.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 03:15:53 pm »
15 Groß puts a cross in for Murray who has a bit too much room. His header is thankfully harmless.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 03:16:49 pm »
Sounds like they are trying to target Fab.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 03:16:50 pm »
15 Groß puts a cross in for Murray who has a bit too much room. His header is thankfully harmless.
Fabinho has totally lost him there.

Right folks my stream is a bit behind.  Bear with me
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 03:17:06 pm »
Bobby looking the sharpest of the front 3 - once the other 2 up their game a bit we'll be looking at a couple of better chances.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 03:18:05 pm »
16 Sounds as if TAA May be coming off, still suffering with his ankle
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 03:20:31 pm »
19 all Liverpool with the ball. Fabinho and VVD have had loads of it.

Free kick out side to us after Robertson was brought down on the byline 40 yards out

Shaqiris free kick just goes over our man at the back post
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »
Gini with superb work coming back in defence to take the ball off the toe of Murray - Murray was most surprised to see him pop up!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 03:23:03 pm »
Gini just mopping up the loose passes, sounds awesome.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 03:24:59 pm »
23 Nice little ball over the top from the edge of the area nearly played Mo in

Corner.

And a header goes well past the face of goal
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 03:26:09 pm »
24 Brighton cross into the box and it’s cleared well by Fabinho
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 03:28:43 pm »
27 Nice break by the reds.  Mane carries it through the midfield and plays in TAA out wide, he cuts back in and crosses with his left.  The power cube heads narrowly wide.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 03:30:27 pm »
Sounds like we are trying to tire Brighton out just pulling their players out of place. Surely more chances will come our way.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 03:30:35 pm »
30' BHA have compressed the space so much that we're unable to create anything more than scraps in the final third.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 03:31:13 pm »
29 lots of possession around the Brighton area but we can’t quite squeeze out a chance

And then Brighton break like lighting but misplace their pass.

Over to Rushie
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 03:32:39 pm »
31' Bobby pushing play and chases the BGA defender down - fall of the ball goes BHA and it's a goal kick.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »
We are noticeably trying to keep the ball on halfway. I guess we’re trying to draw them out
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 03:34:27 pm »
33' - Reds are pushing in 20 second bursts - thus far the Brighton Bus holds firm.

The danger is of course a counter since Fab and Virgil are awfully high up the pitch

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 03:35:50 pm »
34' - Montoya goes down in our half, no foul given and Mane breaks. Brighton regroup and we're back to recycling the ball (with the brief interlude of Hendo charging the box and falling over)

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »
36' - the game is, of course, most reminiscent of Watford away. Mistake by Brighton and Mane pounces and we have a corner

Shaq with an inswinger that is cleared comfortably - the 2nd ball is picked up by Salah but nothing comes of it.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 03:40:15 pm »
38' - Robbo brought down just outside the box; nothing give. Brighton break into a dangerous position but are caught offside.

Normal service resumes.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 03:41:34 pm »
Apparently blood is indeed needed before we get anything from the referees.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 03:41:56 pm »
77% possession but no shots on target according to James Pearce.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 03:42:29 pm »
41' Almost HT and it doesn't look as if we're pushing particularly hard.