Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1041562 times)

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #7520 on: February 24, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »
It wont affect your contract length or your current per month price

For example if your paying £35 a month for 600 mins and 600 texts you'll be bumped up to 600 mins and unlim texts for £35 a month.

Check to see if it gets activated on the 27th and if not give them a call and find out for sure.     

Will do cheers mate could use unlimited texts at the moment.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #7521 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:45 pm »
never get close to using up my minutes anyway.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #7522 on: February 25, 2010, 01:29:20 pm »
Would like to be able to stay on the same number of text but get a cheaper plan.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7523 on: February 26, 2010, 10:14:20 am »
Due an upgrade in a few weeks and debating whether to get one or not, but fuck me they're expensive.

Also my mate keeps telling me that there's going to be a newer one coming out later this year and I should wait for it. Anyone heard about this?

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7524 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
It wont affect your contract length or your current per month price

For example if your paying £35 a month for 600 mins and 600 texts you'll be bumped up to 600 mins and unlim texts for £35 a month.

Check to see if it gets activated on the 27th and if not give them a call and find out for sure

That would be brilliant.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #7525 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:20 am »
Due an upgrade in a few weeks and debating whether to get one or not, but fuck me they're expensive.

Also my mate keeps telling me that there's going to be a newer one coming out later this year and I should wait for it. Anyone heard about this?

There will be a new one out in the summer, but then there will be a new one out in the summer 2011 and so on

If you want the current one and it does what you need, go for it

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #7526 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:55 am »
I would say its worth waiting for the new one this summer, will not be long before it comes round.

I know there are new ones every year but it seems a bit daft locking yourself in to a contract for two years or whatever when the phone you would be getting is already a couple of years old.

Lets face it the 3Gs is just a stop gap until the new one is released in the summer.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7527 on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:00 am »
I would say its worth waiting for the new one this summer, will not be long before it comes round.

I know there are new ones every year but it seems a bit daft locking yourself in to a contract for two years or whatever when the phone you would be getting is already a couple of years old.

Lets face it the 3Gs is just a stop gap until the new one is released in the summer.

Which will just be a stop gap until the one is released the following summer.

I dont get this need to have the latest phone, if the phone that is out currently does what you want, then why wait 5-6 months for the new one which will cost more and do, pretty much the same with maybe a lean mean frying griddle on the back or something.

The new one will be a small improvement, no innovation, so if your happy with what the current one does, get it and be happy with it

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7528 on: February 26, 2010, 11:44:08 am »
Boom.

Just rang O2.

My 24 month contract is now unlimited texts, 600 mins for the £35.

Thanks for the heads up gazza :wave

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7529 on: February 26, 2010, 11:59:23 am »
Boom.

Just rang O2.

Done the same, but mine changes on 10th march as thats my billing date, plus im on 18 month and that but you know what i mean

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7530 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:13 pm »
So it's possible to do it now? Thought it was from 27th? If so I might give them a call now (on the 18 month £45 contract). 
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #7531 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:23 pm »
I'm out of contract on O2 and have gone on the £20 per month contract - I seem to have lost Visual Voicemail - is that because the £20 contract is akin to PAYG and you don't get VV on PAYG ?
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #7532 on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:19 pm »
Which will just be a stop gap until the one is released the following summer.

I dont get this need to have the latest phone, if the phone that is out currently does what you want, then why wait 5-6 months for the new one which will cost more and do, pretty much the same with maybe a lean mean frying griddle on the back or something.

The new one will be a small improvement, no innovation, so if your happy with what the current one does, get it and be happy with it

I disagree, I think the next phone will be a major improvement. The iphone has pretty much stood still whilst android have caught up. The 3G was basically what the 3G should have been and at the time was sufficient because there was nothing else to rival it. this is no longer the case with some of the android offerings so Apple now have to raise their game.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7533 on: February 26, 2010, 12:50:34 pm »
I disagree, I think the next phone will be a major improvement. The iphone has pretty much stood still whilst android have caught up. The 3G was basically what the 3G should have been and at the time was sufficient because there was nothing else to rival it. this is no longer the case with some of the android offerings so Apple now have to raise their game.

What are you basing this on?

When has apple ever offered the best product?

They will make a small alteration as they do not want to allienate other customer, plus they will want to continue selling the 3g and 3gs so the new one will be a small improvement, it will look the same, so the match the ipad, and will be just a small improvement. The biggest change may well be the software update to 4.0 but the hardware will continue apples tradition of small increases.

Its not like they are currently losing out to android, nor are they likely in the future, as they have an item that sells and that performs tasks that everyone wants.

I would bet good money that the only improvements will be in battery and processor speed, with a new innovation that no one wants but enough plebs will trade in their 3gs's for. They may also change the screen slightly.

But again, whats the need if the current item does what the consumer wants, to make a massive improvement, and give away to competitors their ideas.

They will only make massive updates when they need to, and right now, they have no reason to be worried at all.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #7534 on: February 26, 2010, 12:59:12 pm »
I don't think they will do much to the hardware either but they can do so much with a new software interface and that is all it is missing.

Better notifications and app management can bring it up to match the offerings that android currently has over the iphone. 

Hardware wise, it think your right about the processor and memory. The only thing I would add is that im guessing it will also have a flash and a front facing camera for use with skype etc.

Where as that is not a reason to get the new model, over time developers are going to take advantage of the resources available to them and start developing apps that will start to require the extra memory and processing which the new models provide.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7535 on: February 26, 2010, 01:01:33 pm »
I don't think they will do much to the hardware either but they can do so much with a new software interface and that is all it is missing.

Better notifications and app management can bring it up to match the offerings that android currently has over the iphone. 

Hardware wise, it think your right about the processor and memory. The only thing I would add is that im guessing it will also have a flash and a front facing camera for use with skype etc.

Where as that is not a reason to get the new model, over time developers are going to take advantage of the resources available to them and start developing apps that will start to require the extra memory and processing which the new models provide.

So, you may as well get the current ones, that will get the software update too.

As for developers using more processing power, i think they will be restricted by the idea of making for the whole market rather than targetting a smaller section.

If you start making stuff for just the latest phone, you then rule out all 2G, 3G, and 3gs users as well as all the touch users.... so it would be stupid

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #7536 on: February 26, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »
Without a doubt they will start to produce apps that will not be able to run on the 3G, the 3Gs will be ok for a while but there is only so long you can keep on supporting older products before you have to make something end of life.

Most people have the iphone on a contract so both apple and the developers know that every year t=there will be a large number of people who will no longer be using the 2g/3g and move onto latest models.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7537 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:57 pm »
Without a doubt they will start to produce apps that will not be able to run on the 3G, the 3Gs will be ok for a while but there is only so long you can keep on supporting older products before you have to make something end of life.

Most people have the iphone on a contract so both apple and the developers know that every year t=there will be a large number of people who will no longer be using the 2g/3g and move onto latest models.

baring in mind many networks have only just started selling the iphone with many handsets being the 3g one, it would be silly to think they would be doing such a thing yet. 2011 Summer then maybe, but otherwise its stupid, plus also, your forgetting the ipod touch.

anyway, your opinion, my opinion, we are either both wrong, or one of us is right.... whats certain is..... your not ;)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7538 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:41 pm »
Boom.

Just rang O2.

No worries. Just moved my non-iphone £35 a month 600 mins/ 1000 texts unlim data contract onto their 12 month iphone simplicity

600 mins
unlim texts
Unlim data and wifi
Vis voicemail

£20 a month. £15 a month saving

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7539 on: February 26, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »
What advantages does the 3gs have over the 3g? The 3gs just seems stupidly expensive whereas the 3g is reasonably cheap now.

I doubt I'll wait for the new one if I do decide to get an i-phone, as it'll just be ridiculously overpriced and I can't imagine it's going to be groundbreaking.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7540 on: February 26, 2010, 05:43:27 pm »
It's faster and has a compass.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline redmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • Y N W A
« Reply #7541 on: February 26, 2010, 06:54:09 pm »
What advantages does the 3gs have over the 3g? The 3gs just seems stupidly expensive whereas the 3g is reasonably cheap now.

I doubt I'll wait for the new one if I do decide to get an i-phone, as it'll just be ridiculously overpriced and I can't imagine it's going to be groundbreaking.

Doubt it will be groundbreaking, but expect a fairly substantial update. The current OS is 3 years old.

As for a comparison, 3gs has better battery, better camera 3mp rather than 2mp, video recording, voice activated stuff, and you can also get it in white!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7542 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:44 pm »
I'm out of contract on O2 and have gone on the £20 per month contract - I seem to have lost Visual Voicemail - is that because the £20 contract is akin to PAYG and you don't get VV on PAYG ?

Graham, you need to call them and go on the £20 IPhone simplicity package, you'll get visual voicemail back and unlimited wi/fi as well.

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7543 on: February 26, 2010, 11:36:30 pm »

The thing is it could be a better improvement than 3gs on 3g. I personally would wait.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7544 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:16 pm »
The thing is it could be a better improvement than 3gs on 3g. I personally would wait.

I don't doubt that it will be an improvement, but will it be an improvement worth waiting for and paying for, as it's bound to be stupidly expensive.

I'm guessing the fact that I've been an O2 mobile customer for 3 years and now a home broadband customer will hold much wait when asking them to reduce the price on an upgrade?

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7545 on: February 27, 2010, 01:48:12 am »
O2 have not done discounts on iPhone tarrifs

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7546 on: February 27, 2010, 01:52:27 am »
O2 have not done discounts on iPhone tarrifs

:(

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7547 on: February 27, 2010, 05:01:06 am »
I don't doubt that it will be an improvement, but will it be an improvement worth waiting for and paying for, as it's bound to be stupidly expensive.

I'm guessing the fact that I've been an O2 mobile customer for 3 years and now a home broadband customer will hold much wait when asking them to reduce the price on an upgrade?

I am not sure how stupidly expensive it is going to be, but I think it will be a bit more of an evolution than last year but still probably not a revolution. That is just my feeling. It depends on the kind of a person you are though. If you are not the kind who HAS to have the latest, iPhone 3GS should be fine. When I bought it exactly one year ago I was in a similar situation, but I chose not to wait because I wanted it asap and would be in a better financial position this June; so I had decided I would buy this years model if I wanted.

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7548 on: February 27, 2010, 05:03:04 am »
:(

I am on this side of the pond but AFAIK there are no discounts here except for student discounts.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #7549 on: February 27, 2010, 08:53:01 am »
I am not sure how stupidly expensive it is going to be, but I think it will be a bit more of an evolution than last year but still probably not a revolution. That is just my feeling. It depends on the kind of a person you are though. If you are not the kind who HAS to have the latest, iPhone 3GS should be fine. When I bought it exactly one year ago I was in a similar situation, but I chose not to wait because I wanted it asap and would be in a better financial position this June; so I had decided I would buy this years model if I wanted.

I bought my 3g on contract two or three weeks before the 3gs came out. Carphone warehouse had a 16gb 3g for free on 18 month £35 which no where else had. The phone does all I want so I'm happy with saving the £100 odd quid it would have cost me for a 3gs and I had one rather than worrying about when the new one would be availiable

it's sad that so many need to have the latest thing just because. I'm sure there was many people In my position who made a different decision to mr and good for them. But as I find my battery good and the speed of the thing great I have no need for a 3gs currently

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7550 on: March 1, 2010, 12:57:14 pm »
So I'm slightly confused- are o2 doing this change in tariff or not?
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7551 on: March 1, 2010, 01:46:47 pm »

Ive been with them since they were geenie and a broadband customer from july 08. I rang them up and got told that the couldnt do anything for me, at all, nothing. Rang up again later to cancel and was still told they couldnt do anything. Rang up a 3rd time and was told i could get a recon 16g 3gs for £100. Had a think, rang back to order it, and got the phone for £1 and £5 a month off my £35 a month tarrif. Def worth talking to them about it!!
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #7552 on: March 1, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »
For anyone wanting a new app. Tigertext.

It's an app that has a timer to delete messages so you can stop others reading them ;)

NOTE: It only works if you send to another iphone who also has the app.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7553 on: March 1, 2010, 03:43:09 pm »
NOTE: It only works if you send to another iphone who also has the app.

So basically, no-one.

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7554 on: March 1, 2010, 07:32:42 pm »
So I'm slightly confused- are o2 doing this change in tariff or not?

Yeh, they are. Give them a ring and ask to change it.

I changed mine last Friday, and it will be implemented from this Friday when the next month of the contract starts.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7555 on: March 1, 2010, 08:35:17 pm »
just got mine. i upgraded cost 89 quid like for 24 month contract at 35 for a 32gb 3gs. not too overly fussed on the whole about the price, ill be happy with this for the next few years barring incident. massive upgrade from a sony ericsson!
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7556 on: March 1, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »
you'll be happy with it till Windows Phone 7 comes out :)

or Apple seriously up their game with iPhone 4.0 OS
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #7557 on: March 1, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »
Can always bang it on eBay anyway if you keep it shiny.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7558 on: March 1, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
Whats windows 7 mobile got over iphone os 3

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7559 on: March 1, 2010, 09:11:38 pm »
And which o2 number do you ring to get them to change your tariff?