Author Topic: Round Table Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham Hotspur  (Read 11876 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Round Table Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham Hotspur
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:10 am »
Where to start. It was like a bloody cup game, kick and rush, with Phil Dowd clearly having taken too many Tangfastics before the event, with some bizarre, incorrect and/or unusual reffing decisions.

Spurs defended so high it seemed that we would be next on Big Sam's list of Long Ball criminals, well, at least we should've been. In the first half they were there for the taking I thought. Their 2nd goal came from Kane being offside, but their first was probably as frustrating for us as ours was for them.

The second half saw Spurs stop passing square balls badly and it seemed more even. But even then, the main battle was in midfield. We became two similar teams, defensively alarming, quick to attack and break and pressed well.

I was pleased with several things:
i) we stood up to the fabled Spurs' fitness/late game style well. We didn't fade either
ii) Sakho seems more and more settled.
iii) We didn't seem any different when Gerrard left the field, the team survives without him if not flourishes at times.
iv) Mario scored. Good lad.

Other points:
i) Henderson to think more. Too many times his pass or run or thoughts were the wrong one.
ii) It'd be good if there was slightly more movement off the ball, in the 2nd half as Spurs closed in, we tended to pass backwards and start again too many times.
iii) We missed Lucas but still won, and its now tight up top... smashing.
Yep.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham Hotspur
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:40:44 pm »
With the exception of Real Madrid, I'd argue Spurs are the best side I've seen at Anfield this season, yes they press high and risk conceding at the back but like us when it works it looks special. Firstly, the three at the back, anyone with lingering doubts has to see that this is the system that works best for us. Even with a very dangerous Spurs side I had none of he jitters that I was feeling not just earlier on this season but even last season at times. I know people like to discuss the tactics but that discussion is abstract without relating it to the personnel we have and this system suits. Emre Can, what can you say, he's beautiful to watch his assurance on the ball even counteracts Mingolets erratic distribution and he seems to calm down the whole defence but this lad can play he reads the game in front of him and can play it simple  or switch it long or he can run with the ball and make it happen.

We started well with plenty of movement, inter change of passing and energy in the middle and our first goal was reward for that, My fears about missing Lucas were unfounded, Spurs were good but we were better. Second half the ebbs and flow of the game Spurs came out and seamed to have an extra man in midfield, Gerrard visibly began to wilt, always sad to see, a Callaghan, a Barnes, a Gerrard, realising the minds willing but the bodies not capable of doing the things that made them the player they were. Pascoe attributed his substitution to a tight hamstring and fair enough but the the fast moving game had taken it's toll on our captain and moving Can into midfield helped us rediscover some of our vigour, we had weathered Spurs best spell and now we were the ones most likely to score.

No Lucas, No Sterling, Young Ibe, if we can keep this group of playrs together and , we get a realistic chance of some silverwear and progress before the Real Madrids and Agents start their siren calls, then we are building something special here something that witha few years experience not only can be a domestic force but can challenge for top European Honours. If we can negotaite the pitfalls of the financial realities, Our kids really will have a story.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:53:41 pm »
I need to watch that again because in the heat of the moment, emotion tends to skew what you see at times.

That said, I thought at times we did miss Lucas a little. Spurs seemed to be able to play in front of our box a bit more than I would have thought possible with the more mobile & aggressive Lucas in there. The one time that demonstrated this best was when Vertonghen collected the ball just inside his own half and ran at our backline almost unopposed. It wasn´t the only time, just the most memorable. I don´t remember Spurs having any of the same freedom in that area once Can moved into midfield. Whether it was just from Spurs fading or us becoming more solid there, I´m not sure.

Also Spurs seems to only be a threat from long range (and bad refereeing decision... oh and Sakho falling over). I was quietly confident before the game as I think, stylistically, we are a bad match up for them. They seem to really struggle against teams with skillful players or teams that can hit you quickly on the counter. We excel at both. They also love their high line and offside trap - even though it´s been their downfall against us in recent times. I thought Sturridge & Markovic would expose it and they did, a few times. That time were Lloris came out and stood on his 18 yard line when a ball over the top went to Markovic, I was sure he would just dink it over him first time if he has noticed his position. It was just terrible by Lloris - one of my favourite keepers too. Or any of the times Sturridge raced away.... or would have if match fit. He hesitated a little in his shooting also. If we played this game again in 2 weeks time, Sturridge would have a brace at half time.

In defence - I also felt we had their number. They like moving the ball around side to side in front of the defence at take long shots at goal. This is probably the strongest area of Mignolets game - as he showed with a wonderful world class save off a Lamela shot.

By Coutinho´s very very high standards, he had a bad game. His passing was very hit and miss, he wasn´t trying to commit the opposition or draw fouls, he wasn´t trying to fashion shooting chances for himself. I think he is just very sore and not trying to aggravate it further. I think Lallana would have started instead if he was closer to match fitness. Hopefully whatever injury Coutinho is carrying can clear up soon. Likewise I thought this was one of Henderson´s worst games for us in a long time. I need to give it another viewing - and maybe it´s just that the Henderson-Gerrard midfield 2 doesn´t function very well.

Can will be a phenomenal player. I never saw Tommy Smith play - but I wonder is there any similarities? Beasts like Lukaku just seem incapable of outmuscling him for the ball. He is as skillful as he is solid. Can literally play anywhere. Fearless. Reads the game as well as anybody. Maybe the biggest difference is he is a lot quieter? Curious to get the thoughts of some Reds who actually saw Tommy play.

Oh and Jordon Ibe. On whoscored.com they have him as our Man of the Match. In his 3rd ever start. Only his second ever professional game at Right Wing Back. Think he will do alright here an all :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:56:10 pm by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:06:21 pm »

Can will be a phenomenal player. I never saw Tommy Smith play - but I wonder is there any similarities? .............. Curious to get the thoughts of some Reds who actually saw Tommy play.

It's hard to compare eras. Today's players are fitter and faster.

Can is probably a better passer and is more comfortable on the ball. Smith could carry the ball but generally passed it quicker to a midfield player. Smith was a no nonsense tackler and would have been better in this area. Can would be quicker on the turn.

I don't think the two players are that similar. Hughes would have been closer to Can in style and ability.
#JFT97

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:29 pm »
I saw Tommy play and, yes, there are similarities as, like Can, he had good ball skills and could thread a decent pass. But Tommy was far more vocal and basically bossed the whole team, despite Rowdy being the captain.

And, of course, there was The Anfield Iron, a truly hard man, who left his mark on many a player but at a time when it was more acceptable, well most of the time.

So, to summarise, both were/are cultured players, good on the ball - but Can is a tad better.

And both are tough and uncompromising - but Tommy was the toughest of the lot!  :)
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:18:15 pm »
It's hard to compare eras. Today's players are fitter and faster.

Can is probably a better passer and is more comfortable on the ball. Smith could carry the ball but generally passed it quicker to a midfield player. Smith was a no nonsense tackler and would have been better in this area. Can would be quicker on the turn.

I don't think the two players are that similar. Hughes would have been closer to Can in style and ability.

Good call about Crazy Horse:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mU9-3gv0K84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mU9-3gv0K84</a>
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:54:28 pm »

I was pleased with several things:
i) we stood up to the fabled Spurs' fitness/late game style well. We didn't fade either
iii) We didn't seem any different when Gerrard left the field, the team survives without him if not flourishes at times.
iv) Mario scored. Good lad.

Other points:
i) Henderson to think more. Too many times his pass or run or thoughts were the wrong one.
ii) It'd be good if there was slightly more movement off the ball, in the 2nd half as Spurs closed in, we tended to pass backwards and start again too many times.
iii) We missed Lucas but still won, and its now tight up top... smashing.

Good post. Agreed with everything and particularly the bits in bold.

Must say in the first half I was impressed with the way Spurs were able to put little passes together around the box in our final third. For me I always felt like they would get a goal and was a little envious when compared to our passing game there when teams park the bus against us.

Looks like Coutinho and Sterling could use a break which will provide some challenges but a really good win and confidence booster.

Really happy for Mario. He did what he had to do. There is a quality player n there somewhere.

Sturridge adds so much to this team. Seemed like he always found space and his control allows others to come into the space he creates. Fully fit he will be lethal but even rusty he caused Spurs so many problems.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:26:03 am by slimbo »

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:25:53 am »
Arguably our biggest win of the year. After the usual suspects, Spurs is a win which makes me feel good. Can't stand them, however credit where it's due; apart from Real Madrid and Chelsea, Spurs' performance was one of the best I've seen at Anfield this seasons, IMO.

Mauricio Pochettino has them playing like a proper team, which makes our victory feel even sweeter. Many will call the gormless Harry Kane a flash in the pan, but I feel that he's got all the attributes to be one of the Premier League's finest players in the years to come. Pochettino's not afraid to blood youth, much like Brendan, of course.

Onto our manager. I feel that Brendan Rodgers has grown as a manager after this game. His substitutions were spot on. In our case, the situation was crying out for Emre Can to be slotted into the midfield and although Brendan almost brought Allen on, I loved the fact he changed his mind and opted for the former. I don't think we'd have seen Brendan Rodgers do this 12 months ago. The man is growing as a manager. The fact he's pulled us out of the rut we were in before Christmas is something he deserves immense credit for. Some will say he was forced to make such changes and various other rhetoric. He's shown balls in the last 2 months. And to think some were calling for his head. He is the man to take us forward. No question.

As for individual performances. I've started doing some player ratings on my blog. Link in my signature for those interested. I'll try and post some musings on there after each game.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:50:04 am »
I realise that one or two lines is a bit short for the round table but I just wondered if anyone thinks that Sakho was lucky to stay on the pitch after his tackle on Dembele? He got himself in a mess and then lunged at Dembele and pulled him to the ground. It wasn't dangerous but it was nowhere near acceptable. OK I guess that it was no worse than somebody pulling a shirt or arm so maybe yellow was sufficient. It wasn't clever though.

#JFT97

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:03:33 am »
I realise that one or two lines is a bit short for the round table but I just wondered if anyone thinks that Sakho was lucky to stay on the pitch after his tackle on Dembele? He got himself in a mess and then lunged at Dembele and pulled him to the ground. It wasn't dangerous but it was nowhere near acceptable. OK I guess that it was no worse than somebody pulling a shirt or arm so maybe yellow was sufficient. It wasn't clever though.

It didn't really satisfy any of the criteria for a red that I can see. Yellow was correct, imo. Although I'd say Dowd kept an eye on him more after that, and I think if he'd made a foul very soon after that was iffy, he'd have gotten a second yellow straight away.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 01:13:17 am »
Dumb mistake that led to this but very sensible yellow to take. Dembele would have been 1 vs 1 with Skrtel. Thought it was kinda funny to be honest, never a red unless he was stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity.
"Behave yourself".

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:17 am »
He got himself in a mess...

Actually, he didn't. Moreno got him in a mess by throwing the ball to him when he never should of, and when 2 other players were more open and less under pressure.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 01:28:51 am »
Brilliant match, perhaps my favorite at Anfield this year.  Both sides pressed well and tried not to give an inch of space to the opposition.  Much has been sad about Can and Ibe and rightfully so, they were spectacular.  Both will continue to grow into their roles at Liverpool and beyond, as they are quite young. Their talent is quite special.  Hinsey made a point about Mario's first goal, and I think that this can not be overlooked.  We have been calling out and pleading for such presence and ability in the six yard box for some time now and last night, things clicked and we got our wish. Well done Mario, well done indeed. May many more goals come to you while you are with us.

I am, however amazed that Markovic's goal has been ignored.  It was both the first of the night and his first at Anfield. Something he is not likely to forget.  Yes, Spurs keeper should have done better, but let's not forget Lazar had the speed, determination, and confidence to take the shot. And he did score, and it livened up Anfield and the players.  Likewise, I am amazed that not much has been said about Sturridge's performance. He may still be a but rusty and in need of shaking off some cobwebs, but the lad still knows where goal is, he was making the right runs, and taking on Spurs defenders with confidence.  He was incredibly unlucky to no get on the board, and it was s probing run, after a pass by Ibe, that led to our penno.

Additionally, both Sakho and Skrtel were in fine form defensively, Sakho did slip and it allowed Kane in to draw them level with us but it did not affect his mentality or subsequent performance. The power and presence of these two should be marked and remarked upon, as they were called upon to defend against an high pressing attack minded club full of young and quick players.... And without the assistance of Lucas. Lastly, for my comments on excellent performances, we have Migs and Moreno. Migs looks like a new player, his confidence is returning and he is showing signs of quality. Quality, I might add, that led us to buy him two summers ago. He had some top saves and was rightly aggrieved at the linesman and Dowd for the lack of offsides called for Spurs second goal. Moreno did incredibly well, he seems to be over shadowed by Ibe at the moment. Likely because Ibe is younger, homegrown, and just stepped in to the side. (Also he is English, in case you didn't know). Moreno, on the other hand is still learning the ends and out of life in England and in this starting XI, he is not a native English speaker, and yet he was making crosses, runs and tackles like he has been apart of this set up for over a year, when in reality he too is quite new.

Gerrard and Hendo did alright I guess, neither was spectacular, nor was Couthino. We all have out off days but they still alright, none of them let us down. Even Stevie's tackle was spot on, despite Dowd giving the London outfit the Freekick and subsequent goal. His Penno was brilliantly taken, never had a doubt. He took it on the opposite side of the one he took earlier this season against Spurs. We did not miss him when he was taken off, and Lallana did will when brought on. (Can't remember for whom, Stevie or Phil). Regardless it is clear, if it has not been so yet, that our summer signings are beginning to bed in and rise to the occasion.

Onwards and upwards. 
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 01:29:07 am »
It didn't really satisfy any of the criteria for a red that I can see. Yellow was correct, imo. Although I'd say Dowd kept an eye on him more after that, and I think if he'd made a foul very soon after that was iffy, he'd have gotten a second yellow straight away.

I agree that it didn't meet the red card criteria but you don't often see a rugby tackle. Dowd was booking people for fun and as you said I think one more poor tackle and Sakho was off. He didn't have his best game but he is still fitting in well in the back three. It would be nice to see Lovren take over from Can and so give Can the chance to play in midfield. However I don't see that happening unless Rodgers is forced to do so. Our back three are playing well together and Mignolet has found his form again. Quite a few of the recent signings played well in this game and it's nice to see them being given time rather than bringing in more new faces.
#JFT97

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 01:36:45 am »
Actually, he didn't. Moreno got him in a mess by throwing the ball to him when he never should of, and when 2 other players were more open and less under pressure.

There were no open players who were more open than Sakho. The throw was a bad decision, but it was a justifiable one. The poor decision was when Sakho was pressed and the ball was going out, he tried to keep it in instead of clearing it more, and giving the other players a chance to reset the defence. It was Sakho's own desire to keep the ball in play that put him in trouble for the yellow. Sakho is great, but at times - and much like Skrtel in Rodgers' first season - he takes the "possession" philosophy Rodger wants too far. He'll get more comfortable as time goes on about clearing a ball. Skrtel has learned, Can does his own thing, and Toure is very effective at clearing a ball when it needs to be done (although sometimes he goes in the other extreme and clears a ball that can be passed). But for that yellow, that's all on Sakho.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:48 am »
There were no open players who were more open than Sakho. The throw was a bad decision, but it was a justifiable one. The poor decision was when Sakho was pressed and the ball was going out, he tried to keep it in instead of clearing it more, and giving the other players a chance to reset the defence. It was Sakho's own desire to keep the ball in play that put him in trouble for the yellow. Sakho is great, but at times - and much like Skrtel in Rodgers' first season - he takes the "possession" philosophy Rodger wants too far. He'll get more comfortable as time goes on about clearing a ball. Skrtel has learned, Can does his own thing, and Toure is very effective at clearing a ball when it needs to be done (although sometimes he goes in the other extreme and clears a ball that can be passed). But for that yellow, that's all on Sakho.

to be honest I haven't seen it back so was going from memory, agreed it was on him after he got the ball and could of prevented it, just remember thinking at the time the throw shouldn't of gone to him in the first place.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 02:16:21 am »
to be honest I haven't seen it back so was going from memory, agreed it was on him after he got the ball and could of prevented it, just remember thinking at the time the throw shouldn't of gone to him in the first place.

It wasn't a good throw, don't get me wrong. But I don't think there was any option that was better or worse than the one Moreno took. But once Sakho went under pressure, he should have skied it so we could reset. He put himself in trouble by being too "pure" about what he wanted to do with the ball. It's admirable, and Rodgers probably desires it, but on a practical level, sometimes you just have to do the agricultural thing in a game :D

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 02:42:22 am »
It reminded me a lot of our play last season, we moved the ball around well at a good tempo
and had creative players like Markovic and Ibe making things happen, with Sturridge prowling like a shark ready to strike.

Defensively I think we were a lot better than much of last season, the back 3 were dealing with most of what was thrown at them and Mignolet pulled of a stunning save, and a had good game. Can shone, but Skrtel also had a very good game in defence.
If Sakho didn't slip he may have done enough to put Kane off.

Kane was then offside for a free kick that never should have been awarded, Gerrard was first to and got the ball.

The main thing was the way we were playing I knew we could score again, and Balotelli was in the perfect spot to tuck away the winner.

If we perform like this against Southampton and City it will be 6 points and closing in on a top 4 spot.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 03:09:36 am »
Points that stood out for me that haven't been covered elsewhere:

The pitch is in a shocking condition at the moment. Arguably helped Markovic get his goal (certainly seemed to take a wild old bobble just before Lloris got a glove to it) and probably partially responsible for the equaliser too, as Sakho's footing went in the other box.

Mignolet was solid, and unlucky to concede twice on a night where he really did nothing wrong at all. You can see him growing in confidence, I'd still like him to be more vocal with his back line, but that seems to be something keepers either have or don't. At least he gave the linesman an earful!

Gerrard fading in the second half, time is a cruel mistress and where once you could rely on Stevie to be kicking harder than ever as the clock ticked on, now in high intensity games like this it's visibly clear that he doesn't have that stamina any more.

The Sakho "six nations" moment. This is one of those where you're left scratching your head. If you sat down and thought about it first, there's just no way you are going to even try that, and from what I've seen he's quite an intelligent player. It reminded me of dropping something and the way your hands just go clutching after it even if it's already way out of reach (maybe that happens to me more than most, I have a clumsy streak) - it's more of an instinctive grab than anything you would plan or consider to be a good idea. A freak incident and unlikely to happen again, and no harm done.

Emre Can. Fuck yeah.

Ibe actually improved on his impressive performance in the derby, clever balls into the box, great running with the ball - he's one of those players who looks like he's actually got some elastic attached to the ball somewhere at times.

Markovic made one of those diagonal passes behind the defence that I've been purring over since the summer. Came to nothing, but sooner or later Sturridge is going to get on the end of one of those.

I thought it took him and Coutinho a little while to settle in behind Sturridge, there are still obvious signs that some of these players just don't know each other well enough just yet. It will come. Second half Coutinho started to look a little brighter, seemed to come a bit deeper to get more of the ball, which meant he wasn't able to really do what he does best, but for a tricky Brazilian, the lad's workrate needs to be acknowledged here, it's like someone took the batteries out of Dirk Kuyt and put them in Luis Garcia. And he's stopped cutting his own hair, apparently, which is good.

On the hair front, I'm sure Lallana was clean shaven when the match started, but he had his trademark beard when he came on. Does it really grow that fast? Answer me that, rawk round table, what's going on there?

Spurs gave us a game, and it's about time, frankly. I almost started to feel sorry for them after the way we've abused them over the last few match-ups. Now I can get back to my usual scathing dislike of them in time for them to sell Kane to Man United and then buy him back when he's useless. As for Kane, if he keeps Sturridge out of the England squad, I wouldn't complain at all.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 03:21:00 am »
It wasn't a good throw, don't get me wrong. But I don't think there was any option that was better or worse than the one Moreno took. But once Sakho went under pressure, he should have skied it so we could reset. He put himself in trouble by being too "pure" about what he wanted to do with the ball. It's admirable, and Rodgers probably desires it, but on a practical level, sometimes you just have to do the agricultural thing in a game :D
Being French, he's ever the cultured footballer not wanting to do the cheap thing of kicking the ball out for safety.

With regards to the game, it was a great one in terms of tactics, performance and emotions. BR got it spot on with the sub and also playing Markovic and Sturridge to unsettle the Spurs defence with their pace. Had Markovic been more polished with his control, we could have scored a couple of goals in the first half when Spurs' defence held their line so high.
Spurs are a very good attacking side - it shows what can happen when you have a good striker. Compare that to how they 'suffered' last season when Soldado was the one leading the attack. Spurs' weakness is in their fullbacks and BR exploited that on the right with the direct running of Ibe. What a player he'll be. I reckon he's better than Sterling as he can shoot better. Quite natural too.

There is no need to search for a Gerrard replacement because we have found him, in Emre Can. Showing so much skill and maturity at that tender age, we have a world class player in the making. His decision-making is good and complimented with his good footballing ability. What we do need is a replacement for Lucas.

Coutinho was well shackled as Spurs were prepared for him. Thank goodness we had other players who stood up like Markovic and Ibe.

Sturridge's return is definitely a welcome especially as we head towards the pointy end of the season. I'm sure Chelsea are still kicking themselves for letting him go so cheap.

Should Kane be penalised retrospectively for simulation - this was when Skrtel collected his yellow.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 03:58:28 am »
One of the biggest things for me, in a critical sense, is when you look at the average positions of the player before the subs:

If we look at how Spurs were playing, they were pushed a bit more over to the left, probably because they soon saw how dangerous Ibe was with the ball, and that Rose needed help. Because they were overloaded on that side too, it probably forced some of their attacks into the left channel. This of course meant Skrtel would have to shift over more to cover Can, but resulting in Sakho being a bit more isolated. When he got the ball, it meant he had less options than he normally would. It also meant that he could be easily overloaded when he did have the ball, and with Spurs pressing on, it made things tight in the middle at times, and meant Sakho didn't have as many options to play into when he did have the ball (hence the few giveaway passes early on).

Once the game settled down, though, and the patterns started to emerge, as we can see above two interesting things developed. Firstly, Coutinho had a lot of space to play in between the lines. This would be a great thing to have, if Coutinho wasn't having a stinker of a game. In games that are tighter and where he has less space, he usually finds a way to work. But with the space he was able to find against Spurs, he really should have been doing a lot more damage. The second thing that's interesting, though, is that Markovic DID take advantage of the space, and got a goal for his troubles. His ability to drive inside from wide areas is something that we can make a lot of use of in the future, as he certainly has the speed and the touch to cause problems. But it only emphasises how badly Coutinho played compared to recently, when the player on the opposite side made more use of the space available.

The winning goal was very reminiscent of a Roy Evans-era Liverpool goal, when you look at it. It was good possession, a chance through ball that deflected back to Henderson, who had a second attempt at getting it to a player. Then it went wide, nice little blindside run from Lallana, dinked pass from Ibe, and a driven ball across the 6-yard, for the redoubtable forward to touch into the net. I'm not someone who was happy with the purchase of Balotelli (although nothing to do with Balotelli himself, just with how he fits into the Rodgers system), but I would be glad if he could make that kind of run 3 or 4 times a game, instead of playing outside the box looking for long shots. He would be worth a goal every three games if he stuck to the task like that, instead of playing too much a part in the buildup. Sturridge continues to get stronger, and you'd expect him to score in the FA Cup, but if Balotelli can play more like a pure striker like that, then you'd really want to see him more on the field.

A good game for the neutral, as they say, but from a technical point of view, two "free goals" (one for each team) really dictated the flow of the game. The slip from Sakho was unfortunate, and let them in with as clear a chance as they'll probably get this season, while the trickiness of Sturridge forced a penalty in a manner that you would hope will happen more often as Sturridge gets more up to speed. In the end, though, Liverpool made more of their attacks count, and that's all you can really do in a game, no matter how well or how badly you are playing. Thankfully, though, Liverpool had the performance to go with the win.

Offline bathoz

• Kopite
  • Wants a showpony.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:08 am »
Just a thought regarding the Sakho rugby tackle.

He knew what he was doing. He had made a mistake, was beaten, and was taking the damn yellow to force the reset for his team (ironically, Dembele could have run on).

Why do I reiterate this point? Because it's Sakho's first yellow of the season. Which is mad for someone who is such a bag of flailing limbs.
The opinions related above are in no way to be taken as anything more (or less) than those of an bored mind.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 10:34:31 am »
I need to watch that again because in the heat of the moment, emotion tends to skew what you see at times.

That said, I thought at times we did miss Lucas a little.
Spurs seemed to be able to play in front of our box a bit more than I would have thought possible with the more mobile & aggressive Lucas in there. The one time that demonstrated this best was when Vertonghen collected the ball just inside his own half and ran at our backline almost unopposed. It wasn´t the only time, just the most memorable. I don´t remember Spurs having any of the same freedom in that area once Can moved into midfield. Whether it was just from Spurs fading or us becoming more solid there, I´m not sure.

Also Spurs seems to only be a threat from long range (and bad refereeing decision... oh and Sakho falling over). I was quietly confident before the game as I think, stylistically, we are a bad match up for them. They seem to really struggle against teams with skillful players or teams that can hit you quickly on the counter. We excel at both. They also love their high line and offside trap - even though it´s been their downfall against us in recent times. I thought Sturridge & Markovic would expose it and they did, a few times. That time were Lloris came out and stood on his 18 yard line when a ball over the top went to Markovic, I was sure he would just dink it over him first time if he has noticed his position. It was just terrible by Lloris - one of my favourite keepers too. Or any of the times Sturridge raced away.... or would have if match fit. He hesitated a little in his shooting also. If we played this game again in 2 weeks time, Sturridge would have a brace at half time.

In defence - I also felt we had their number. They like moving the ball around side to side in front of the defence at take long shots at goal. This is probably the strongest area of Mignolets game - as he showed with a wonderful world class save off a Lamela shot.

By Coutinho´s very very high standards, he had a bad game. His passing was very hit and miss, he wasn´t trying to commit the opposition or draw fouls, he wasn´t trying to fashion shooting chances for himself. I think he is just very sore and not trying to aggravate it further. I think Lallana would have started instead if he was closer to match fitness. Hopefully whatever injury Coutinho is carrying can clear up soon. Likewise I thought this was one of Henderson´s worst games for us in a long time. I need to give it another viewing - and maybe it´s just that the Henderson-Gerrard midfield 2 doesn´t function very well.

Can will be a phenomenal player. I never saw Tommy Smith play - but I wonder is there any similarities? Beasts like Lukaku just seem incapable of outmuscling him for the ball. He is as skillful as he is solid. Can literally play anywhere. Fearless. Reads the game as well as anybody. Maybe the biggest difference is he is a lot quieter? Curious to get the thoughts of some Reds who actually saw Tommy play.

Oh and Jordon Ibe. On whoscored.com they have him as our Man of the Match. In his 3rd ever start. Only his second ever professional game at Right Wing Back. Think he will do alright here an all :D

The first goal doesn't happen with Lucas there IMO. Very poor defending mainly due to our midfield being torn to pieces and that wasn't the only occasion but, it was the only time they scored from it.

We seemed a lot better defensively in the second half. Gerrard going off and Can dropping into CM probably largely contributed to that. It was mainly a problem in the first half.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 12:31:50 pm »
Thought this was a really interesting game, personally. The marked difference in Spurs was clear for all to see. In the previous encounter they were broken once the opener came. Bar one very good save from Mignolet, it was only a matter of how many we'd get. This game however was entirely different. Well different and the same. Markovic's goal was vintage Spurs. Push everyone forward. Get caught out by an (uncharacteristically) great long pass from Mignolet and they ran circles around each other and begged Markovic to take the only route possible and shoot. He did - and scored. The difference was in how they reacted this time around though. They came at us and I felt that unless we'd score another within 5 minutes, there was no way of making it to half-time with a clean sheet. We didn't and they came back into it.

Which brings me to the point of how they scored. For all the "Oh noes Dejan Lovren has 6 defensive error he's de wurst playah ever" if he'd done the things Emre did for both their goals there'd be a lynchmob outside Melwood today. When Eriksen gets the ball for their opener I counted 5 red shirts against the lone white shirt of Harry Kane. When Emre decides to storm out of the defence like Lothar Matthäus on crystal meth and completely negates the defensive set up + our numeral advantage. A single first touch pass turns a 5v1 into a 2v3 and we were opened like champagne bottle, a single pop and all the fuzz was gone. Skrtel covers the in-form Eriksen, Sakho gets drawn to the ball and like with all purple patches it simple gravitated towards Harry Kane who snuffed his shot but obviously scored. With Henderson next to him it's an even more baffling decision to make.
Their second equaliser was a bit more shit to concede, but I felt preventable too. First of all that's never a free kick, let alone a bloody yellow card. But from then on we snuffed it. Yes he's offside, Sakho tried to keep him onside but failed. But with that free kick and Mignolet's very good save it's shocking naivete. If your GK puts his entire body behind it and manages to keep it out of the mass body pile of the penalty spot it's criminal to concede after that. It's an incredible phenomenon how players switch off when they call for the offside decision. You'd think the moment you don't hear the whistle and there's a remote chance of the ball going square/back into the box you get goalside of your man. Both Emre & Sakho let Dembele get into position to get in the way of it and scoring, it wasn't even a finish. If you're playing the offside that's fine but in that situation just take it on yourself to get to the ball first and then apologise to your teammates for breaking the line when you set up to defend the corner.
Now neither of those goals will fall into the much mysterious "defensive error" category but I felt both were a great example of lacking street smarts, the tactical nous if you will. But luckily for us we weren't the only ones.

Our second was a greatly worked goal and the manager deserves full credit for. By playing attacking midfielders/wingers/forwards/generic positional term in the wingback positions he sets us up to score goals like that - or at the very least create the chances. Ibe had Danny Rose so submissive throughout the game he must've thought he was auditioning for 50 Shades of Gray. He repeatedly beat his marker to the point of Bentaleb (or Mason, doesn't matter really) closes the space which leaves Sturridge alone inside their box with his body towards goal and eyes on the ball. Rose then overcompensates for his lack of decisiveness against Ibe and goes with his left foot in on Sturridge. It's a clear penalty, that the referee's assistant bailed Dowd out on.
Gerrard's penalty was so clinical that it's making me question how so many penalties are missed at the top level. Lloris takes a full step and is already jumping when he makes contact with the ball but it doesn't remotely matter. It's a goal every time.

The winner was I felt also down to a lack of tactical nous, at the other end - as well as Rodgers' managerial sharpness. I mentioned this on Twitter yesterday that it must've felt particularly rewarding to have seen that goal. The much-questioned return loanee setting up his two attacking substitutions to win the match. Maybe a stretch to say Rodgers had this planned a la The Secret when he recalled Ibe but it was a clear attacking pattern set up from the training ground. The goal itself I thought displayed what we have, in an attacking sense, that Spurs still lacked. It was evident in our past 5 games against them - and it cost them again this time.
When Rose heads it away there are 3 Spurs players waiting to see where Henderson puts it with his first pass. If I was Pocchettino I'd make a DVD of that, make all my players watch it and then beat them on the side of the head with it repeatedly. You have 7 minutes left on the clock with the game tied, 5 players dropping into midfield against Liverpool's two of Emre & Hendo and not one of them reacts to the header. Henderson played a very simple pass that opened it up. Dembele and especially Stambouli are completely switched off from that point on. Dembele has to know by that point that Mason will drop in to protect Rose from Ibe. He sees Lallana at least twice before jogging forward when Ibe has it and then only drops into his own box once Lallana is goalside of all 3 of them. Stambouli came on as a substitute. His fraudulent covering of the box is an utter shambles. He only had the intention of being seen there, rather than impacting play. No communication between him and Vertonghen meant that Lallana could draw them both in before releasing Balotelli. I actually thought Dier did everything right there - he just didn't have a chance against Balotelli in that area. But the fact that there are 4 players between Lallana and Balotelli when the ball strikes the net would have sent me off the wall as a coach there. It was beautifully worked by Liverpool all the way. But with that many players, including a freshly substituted defensive midfielder, it's terrible defending. They might not have prevented it, Lallana is very good at what he does and Balotelli's run had shades of Miroslav Klose there but at least make an effort. You've come back twice in the match, the clock is running down. Just finishing their runs could've made all the difference.

All in all a very whole performance from Liverpool. We did what we needed and we kept doing the right things through the match. Very reassuring and a deserved win, I thought.

P.S. Shoutout to Mignolet for doing exactly the same thing against Lamela as against Jagielka.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »

Everytime he has been caught its because he has tried to play the perfect pass out of defence.. Id like to see him empty every now an then rather than finding a man, thats something that isnt reflected in his passing stats he may have 90 percent completion , but 10 of them where to a player with a man up his arse. Still rate him though
Insert obscure quote here

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »

Which brings me to the point of how they scored. For all the "Oh noes Dejan Lovren has 6 defensive error he's de wurst playah ever" if he'd done the things Emre did for both their goals there'd be a lynchmob outside Melwood today. When Eriksen gets the ball for their opener I counted 5 red shirts against the lone white shirt of Harry Kane. When Emre decides to storm out of the defence like Lothar Matthäus on crystal meth and completely negates the defensive set up + our numeral advantage. A single first touch pass turns a 5v1 into a 2v3 and we were opened like champagne bottle, a single pop and all the fuzz was gone. Skrtel covers the in-form Eriksen, Sakho gets drawn to the ball and like with all purple patches it simple gravitated towards Harry Kane who snuffed his shot but obviously scored. With Henderson next to him it's an even more baffling decision to make.

The thing is, though, that a situation of numerical advantage is precisely the time to step out and press, so Can didn't actually do anything wrong. The ball had to be pressed there, especially against a player with the long shot quality of Eriksen. The main issue was Sakho over-shifting to the ball. It wasn't a huge thing, per se, but combined with the unfortunate slip, it allowed Kane the opportunity to go 1v1 with Mignolet, and there wasn't a lot more Mignolet could do in that situation:

As good as we've been doing defensively, this is still a massive issue in central midfield (not picking up runners), and it's the same issue every time, which is why Lucas in there is such an improvement - he's always alert to the dangers of those penetrating runs, and he'll either sweep up the ball before it gets there, or if the defence are outnumbered he'll make a little foul to disrupt play. But in that situation, Henderson and Gerrard are ball-watching, and although Henderson should really be picking him up initially, the fact that Gerrard sees the run itself, and doesn't or can't get across to it, is one of the major reasons that they were able to get in behind the midfield.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:13 pm »

I thought on the whole he played ok, but to be honest, I thought he looked anything but settled. To me, and it's only my opinion, he's the weakest of the back three at the moment, and that's saying something when we have who is basically a central midfielder in Can playing in there! I just thought he still looks nowhere near as comfortable on the ball as other players.

I know fans will say 'it's just that he LOOKS clumsy', which I actually don't agree with. He might swing the odd pass across field, but some of his short passing was awful, one back pass to Mignolet was dreadful (under no pressure) and when he gets the ball at the back he looks under pressure to me.

Genuinely, I think I watched a different Sakho!  :) And I was actually looking forward to him coming back into the side as I think he's a decent player, but I just don't see him the way a lot of reds see him. I still think he looks like an accident waiting to happen with his passing across the back three sometimes.

That one incident towards the end of the game, where rather than just kick it out of play, he tried to hold onto the Tottenham lad, shield the ball, but ended up losing it then tried to grab his ankles as he ran away, and got booked. It's little things like that for me where he needs to improve.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:40:45 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 01:54:09 pm »
You just know that Lucas would have read that play and tried to sneak in behind Lamela to rob him of the ball/intercept the pass. We`ve seen it a million times from him. Man do we miss him.

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 01:55:07 pm »
The thing is, though, that a situation of numerical advantage is precisely the time to step out and press, so Can didn't actually do anything wrong. The ball had to be pressed there, especially against a player with the long shot quality of Eriksen. The main issue was Sakho over-shifting to the ball. It wasn't a huge thing, per se, but combined with the unfortunate slip, it allowed Kane the opportunity to go 1v1 with Mignolet, and there wasn't a lot more Mignolet could do in that situation:

As good as we've been doing defensively, this is still a massive issue in central midfield (not picking up runners), and it's the same issue every time, which is why Lucas in there is such an improvement - he's always alert to the dangers of those penetrating runs, and he'll either sweep up the ball before it gets there, or if the defence are outnumbered he'll make a little foul to disrupt play. But in that situation, Henderson and Gerrard are ball-watching, and although Henderson should really be picking him up initially, the fact that Gerrard sees the run itself, and doesn't or can't get across to it, is one of the major reasons that they were able to get in behind the midfield.

The problems for that first goal stemmed (imo) from the two in the middle. Central to this was Gerrard. I will explain my reservations about him this season in a moment, but first;

The goal comes because the midfield fails to stop two players playing passes around them. Think about that for a moment, two on two and yet not a single tackle, or even jockeying of the player. Both Henderson and Gerrard were mesmerised as the ball pinged around them. As you rightly point out, Can is forced to step up to stop the Spurs player turning and having a free run and shot. Now, he does do a  kind of midfielder tackle (tries to win the ball) and ultimately gets wrong side (Skrtel or Lovren would have hammered the player and taken the card) but his move to press the ball was right. Ibe should certainly tuck in, but Skrtel is the one who actually adjusts by stepping right. He has a dirty habit sometimes of making a positional switch and just presuming someone else will cover the space he abandons, but in this instance (since Can had actually sold himself) he was right top step across. Sahko (who actually reads the game really well) also adjusts his position to match Skrtel but gets caught out when the ball is passed out to Kane and he slips. He is probably the least culpable of all the players mentioned.

However, the real issue starts with the midfield. At the beginning of the season Liverpool were overrun. Any combination that includes Gerrard is ultimately going to struggle, as has been the case for many games this season. Why? Well, Gerrard no longer has the legs. He can't press hard enough. He can't match players for speed, so if they go past him its game over. So he sits deep and gives teams room to play in front of him. Having played midfield (at an astonishingly low level) I can tell you now, it's the biggest sin to give your opposing midfield time and room to turn and pick a pass. So many times against Spurs I was shouting at Gerrard to push up and pressure the opposition, not to give them the room to operate. In fairness, he started to do more of that in the second half (I suspect he was told to) but I felt it was very noticeable after he went off and Can moved into the middle how Liverpool regained control over the game. Henderson suddenly looked much better and involved (and not trying to press for two people). the first thing Can did was go on a mad run that ended with him being tossed upside down and kicked in the head. They pushed Spurs back and that made the difference.

All season long the midfield has looked porous. The backline has looked ropey because of that. the value of Lucas was he closed all those gaps. Against inferior opposition (who naturally sit deep) Gerrard not tackling or pressing in the middle is also less of an issue. But against the better sides (and there is an important run of games ahead against better sides) his lack of mobility could prove a liability.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 04:54:07 pm »

Gerrard and Henderson did not play this well. Spurs' passing and movement were sharp, and our defensive positioning and reaction times were below par (not howlishly poor, but not up to par to the sharpness of Spurs' passing and movement). Personally, I think it really does start with Gerrard's lack of defensive 'field of battle' awareness or 'nous'. It's not really his "fault". Henderson's forte is also not his spatial awareness and anticipation of the next two or three possible moves by the opposition. At least he possesses the engine and industriousness to 'recover' most of the time.

Sakho got 'burned' this time by what is actually his best attribute, his 'antificpation'. Lucas has gotten burned a couple of times like that, as well. The situation where you take a step or lean into the most likely anticipated move by the opponent and the effer doesn't oblige. Lamela did that. Where the opponent DOES oblige, you are a genius, it looks like shooting fish in a barrel.

It's beyond my competence to figure out what, if anything, Skrtel ought to have been doing. Perhaps he did exactly what he was supposed to do.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 07:45:34 pm »
Just one thing to add to those who are (quite rightly) pointing out that Gerrard and Henderson often looked unable to deal with Spurs' threats in the centre of the park:  I'd say that that was a simple consequence of the way they set up and the way we set up.

Spurs concentrated on the central areas - Eriksen and Lamela were supposed to be their wide attackers but they were always coming inside, so Gerrard and Henderson were outnumbered 5 to 2 at times. It normally didn't look that way because the rest of the team came to their aid, but it was, I though, a significant factor in the periods when they were on top. They pressed us well in those areas too.

We concentrated instead on the wide areas - the combination of Can, Ibe and Markovic (and later Lallana) down the right being particularly effective. I presume it was a deliberate ploy with the intent that our advantages in those areas would more than make up for the deficiencies in the middle.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:18 am »
The midfield overload depends partly on the particular situation. When we're closing down higher up the pitch for example, with Markovic and Coutinho pinching in to close down the opposition's deep midfielders, then it's less of a problem. It was noticeable that Spurs had a few difficulties in early parts of their build up. They'd have it in deep midfield, Sturridge was staying high between the CBs instead of dropping off, Markovic and Coutinho were closing down inside on their deep midfielders, backed up by Gerrard and Henderson. If Spurs went square then their CMs would be under real pressure, if they went back then Sturridge would be pressuring and cutting off options (and if the pass back was misplaced, as it was a couple of times, then Sturridge would have a good chance of having a goal-scoring opportunity for himself).

When we were pushed back though or on the defensive transition (with Spurs having broken through any press) then the overload was more common. Pocchetino knows how transition-oriented the Premier League is and so if he can get numbers through the middle then his team can cause real problems. He's got players who can run behind, he's got players with a good long shot so it's not meaningless either. That was an issue for us - when we were running back to our own goal with Coutinho and Markovic out of the game and disconnected from Gerrard and Henderson, then Spurs could overload that area centrally. If Kane positioned himself well between two CBs, then it made it more difficult for them to get out as well.

If Coutinho and Markovic did get back and help get bodies in the centre then Spurs had to try and disconnect them from the CMs. That was what they did for the goal. They break through the initial pressure and start attacking. We manage to defend it and recover with Coutinho and Markovic also getting back. Coutinho's supporting our defence of the middle of the pitch with Lamela on the ball. We're okay. Lamela plays it wide to Walker which forces Coutinho to go out and engage him. That one pass opens up space between Coutinho and Gerrard. Sturridge has stayed high up the pitch instead of dropping into midfield and Markovic goes to mark Bentaleb in there. That enables Spurs to overload Gerrard and Henderson because Markovic and Coutinho are no longer defending that area with them. That pass to Walker has ended up opening up our central midfield.

Those are just part of the trade-offs you make though. Coutinho and Markovic don't want to be defending in a straight line alongside Henderson and Gerrard. Sturridge wants to be as high up the pitch as possible instead of dropping into midfield to support our defence. Other teams would do better in such a situation (and to be fair, we should too). A team like Atletico Madrid are heavily based around defending as a compact block, condensing the central area with many players (including the two forwards dropping off just in front of the midfield) and making it very difficult for the opponent to get superiority in any area. Our game isn't really based around that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't defend it better than we did on Tuesday. But that's part of the price you pay at times for the trade-offs you make. If you want Sturridge high up the pitch at all times then sometimes the opponent might get space in deep midfield. If you don't want that then either a CM will break the line to go and mark him or one of your outside players will pinch in. If you want your outside attackers to be aggressive and to help defend wide then unless you cover across quickly and block passing lanes, then channels might open up inside.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:27 am »
Arguably our biggest win of the year. After the usual suspects, Spurs is a win which makes me feel good. Can't stand them, however credit where it's due; apart from Real Madrid and Chelsea, Spurs' performance was one of the best I've seen at Anfield this seasons, IMO.

Mauricio Pochettino has them playing like a proper team, which makes our victory feel even sweeter. Many will call the gormless Harry Kane a flash in the pan, but I feel that he's got all the attributes to be one of the Premier League's finest players in the years to come. Pochettino's not afraid to blood youth, much like Brendan, of course.

Onto our manager. I feel that Brendan Rodgers has grown as a manager after this game. His substitutions were spot on. In our case, the situation was crying out for Emre Can to be slotted into the midfield and although Brendan almost brought Allen on, I loved the fact he changed his mind and opted for the former. I don't think we'd have seen Brendan Rodgers do this 12 months ago. The man is growing as a manager. The fact he's pulled us out of the rut we were in before Christmas is something he deserves immense credit for. Some will say he was forced to make such changes and various other rhetoric. He's shown balls in the last 2 months. And to think some were calling for his head. He is the man to take us forward. No question.

As for individual performances. I've started doing some player ratings on my blog. Link in my signature for those interested. I'll try and post some musings on there after each game.

I said this at the time. The 1st half of this season was a hell of a lesson for Rodgers and his crew, and I believe he will be massively stronger for it. Although it was hard at the time, it was important to stick with our man. I'm proud at how the fans, club and owners managed that situation and we all deserve to revel in victories like this one.

The game was great. Sturridge is like a breath of fresh air, even at 75%. Would surely have had 1 or 2 if he's have been at 100%.

I was a bit worried about Lucas being missing, and I think it did show. But it's a great indicator that we can still put in performances when one or two are missing, or off their game. Countinho wasn't great either, Gerrard and Hendo were hit and miss. But Ibe, Can, Sturridge and Markovic (plus Lallana and Ballotelli when they got on) were all great, and we ultimately got the result. We have a lovely balance of quality at the moment and, finally, some true depth in out squad.

It's taken a while, but the sale of Suarez and the replacements we bought in is starting to make sense.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 09:33:08 am »
Dumb mistake that led to this but very sensible yellow to take. Dembele would have been 1 vs 1 with Skrtel. Thought it was kinda funny to be honest, never a red unless he was stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Put it this way. If Dembele had got away, and Spurs scored, would we all have been saying Sakho should have taken a tactical yellow on the halfway line? He fucked up, but showed good awareness to stop the attack.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?