Author Topic: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0  (Read 42594 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0
« Reply #680 on: February 21, 2019, 06:28:50 am »
I've seen Rob Guttmann on twitter saying on twitter that after watching the game the other night, we don't really have anything to fear going into the 2nd leg. Now I personally find that a very naive point of view. If he really thinks Bayern will be that reserved and be as blunt as they were in attack as they were the other night, he is going to be in for a massive shock. Bayern will be a completely different animal next time out.

I don't think that means we should be fearful, though. We've seen the fastest they can be, and we coped with it. We've seen the strength of their defence, and we breached it. If they come out at us, they open all sorts of spaces we like playing into. If they stay in their block, we have the resources to manage their counter-attacks. In short, we've really got all the cards stacked in our favour, tactically. They are the ones who have the smaller margin of error, so it really should be them fearing us.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #681 on: February 21, 2019, 07:23:07 am »
Still can’t believe we didn’t catch them out at the back at least once with the passing game they were playing betweeen keeper and back 4. They were pretty good at it mind you but don’t think they had the pace to trouble us if we had of pressed them more and they got through the initial press.
They had plenty of pace as they showed I the first half

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #682 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:13 am »
We watched the banners held up by the Bayern supporters and greeted with a standing ovation from all Liverpool fans in the stadium with admiration but compared it with what we'd just seen outside the stadium.  In the car park behind the Kenny Dalglish stand, we saw something that caught our interest but we didn't linger cos it was raining and we wanted to get inside.  There was the amazing sight of a Rolls Royce SUV!  It's their first foray into that market and the car itself only became available last month.  My mate reckoned the registration number probably indicated it belongs to Richard Scudamore.  There's no official price listed for this vehicle yet but the Rolls Royce Culinan - named after the world's largest uncut diamond - looks as if it will start at £250,000.  A car costing more than the houses most match-goers live in! 

Greed knows no limits indeed! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #683 on: February 21, 2019, 10:33:16 am »
+ Bayern fight and scrap to earn an edge vs. Liverpool but need a change of focus in Munich

Thanks to the much-maligned away goals rule in European football, many consider a 0-0 draw in the first
leg of a knockout tie a good result for the home team. But after Tuesday night's game at Anfield, Bayern
Munich walked away by far the happier side.

The German champions probably knew that a goalless draw statistically tilts the tie in favour of the away
side. In 31 previous first-leg 0-0 draws in the Champions League, the club hosting the return fixture have
gone through 22 times.

Based on those (admittedly small) numbers, Niko Kovac's side left a rainy Merseyside with a 73 percent
chance of qualifying for the quarterfinals.

The satisfaction that Bayern's players showed after the final whistle went much deeper than mathematics,
however. Theirs was the happiness of craftsmen pleased with their work after a long day battling sawdust
on the shop floor, the satisfaction of a job well done.

"We got what we wanted from this game," Kovac said proudly. When you come to not lose, a draw
feels like a win.

- http://global.espn.com/football/club/bayern-munich/132/blog/post/3779476/bayern-fight-and-scrap-to-earn-an-edge-vs-liverpool-but-need-a-change-of-focus-in-munich

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #684 on: February 21, 2019, 10:44:19 am »
+ Bayern fight and scrap to earn an edge vs. Liverpool but need a change of focus in Munich

Thanks to the much-maligned away goals rule in European football, many consider a 0-0 draw in the first
leg of a knockout tie a good result for the home team. But after Tuesday night's game at Anfield, Bayern
Munich walked away by far the happier side.

The German champions probably knew that a goalless draw statistically tilts the tie in favour of the away
side. In 31 previous first-leg 0-0 draws in the Champions League, the club hosting the return fixture have
gone through 22 times.

Based on those (admittedly small) numbers, Niko Kovac's side left a rainy Merseyside with a 73 percent
chance of qualifying for the quarterfinals.

The satisfaction that Bayern's players showed after the final whistle went much deeper than mathematics,
however. Theirs was the happiness of craftsmen pleased with their work after a long day battling sawdust
on the shop floor, the satisfaction of a job well done.

"We got what we wanted from this game," Kovac said proudly. When you come to not lose, a draw
feels like a win.

- http://global.espn.com/football/club/bayern-munich/132/blog/post/3779476/bayern-fight-and-scrap-to-earn-an-edge-vs-liverpool-but-need-a-change-of-focus-in-munich

Hmmm... can't see how a 0-0 away is an "edge". On the contrary..
1 Liverpool goal and it's on.

Now look at the headlines for another CL away draw(0-0) to an unpredictable opponent on the same night..:

"Barcelona frustrated as Lyon hold out for draw"
"Lyon stand firm to deny Barcelona away goal in first-leg stalemate"
"PIX: Wasteful Barca held by Lyon; Bayern frustrate Liverpool - Rediff ..."

Look at the contrarian take on the same result in that last headline..  ::) :duh
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:56:19 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:36 am »
Hmmm... can't see how a 0-0 away is an edge. On the contrary..

Now look at the headlines for another CL away draw(0-0) to an unpredictable opponent on the same night..:

Look at the contrarian take on the same result in that last headline..  ::) :duh
I believe journalists / media are thinking something like aa... "If Liverpool can't even score at their own home,
how the f**k on earth (lower percentage / chances is a nice term) they could score at Allianz Arena?".
"Where Liverpool can't even use their own home advantage".

------------------------

Something like that, I guess.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #686 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:37 am »
I believe journalists / media are thinking something like aa... "If Liverpool can't even score at their own home,
how the f**k on earth (lower percentage / chances is a nice term) they could score at Allianz Arena?".

Something like that, I guess.
Yep, they do- yet by the headlines that includes stuff like "Lyon deny Barca away goal..." (Lyon actually DID something according to them.. they "DENIED" Barca) you can see that indicates some sort of believe that Lyon CAN score away(yet they couldn't score at home- like us).
Liverpool of course, did fuckall as usual- instead Bayern DID all the important stuff.

Yet the score and situation remains the same and we were both away..
Lyon would find it much more difficult to win or draw at the Nou Camp than Liverpool would at the Allianz, but you wouldn't believe it reading some of the bollix in the papers.
I suppose it depends on who the journo/"paper" is..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:05:35 am by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #687 on: February 21, 2019, 11:24:20 am »
Hmmm... can't see how a 0-0 away is an "edge". On the contrary..

It was exactly the same thing last night when the game between Atletico Madrid and Juventus was at 0-0. Chris Sutton comes out with "this is a good result for Atletico."  Yet of course when our game ended 0-0 the attitude in parts of the media were very different. Just goes to show that they're not especially best disposed towards us. But who cares?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #688 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:11 am »
I'm all for them building up Bayern for the next game.

The media (and a lot of fans), have spent the last few weeks since the draw speaking of how this Bayern team is old and slow. Where a curosry glance at their starting lineups over the past few months would show that they in fact are not so old, and just making an effort to watch them play would show they have players who certainly are not slow!

So this about turn is great, have at it is what I say. All it does is show yet again how clueless they are and how little research they actually make into these games. Let them focus on Bayern, and put the pressure on them.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #689 on: February 21, 2019, 11:31:34 am »
We lacked our normal European verve the other night,which I think down to three things....the ten day break was not a great thing , 'resting' thats bollocks , these guys are at the peak of fitness and we needed games to keep momentum, first thirty mins we struggled to get our game going, we had lost our rythm.  Also think both Trent and Robbo played with some anxiety, was it abscence of VdD...which also made the mid less keen to bomb forward...and thirdly...Bayern played well, but thankfully not in fornt of goal.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #690 on: February 21, 2019, 11:33:58 am »
It was exactly the same thing last night when the game between Atletico Madrid and Juventus was at 0-0. Chris Sutton comes out with "this is a good result for Atletico."  Yet of course when our game ended 0-0 the attitude in parts of the media were very different. Just goes to show that they're not especially best disposed towards us. But who cares?
Agree mate. As you say though- we really shouldn't even be bothered about stuff like this. The darkness "pulls" you in sometimes though! ;D

I'm all for them building up Bayern for the next game.

The media (and a lot of fans), have spent the last few weeks since the draw speaking of how this Bayern team is old and slow. Where a curosry glance at their starting lineups over the past few months would show that they in fact are not so old, and just making an effort to watch them play would show they have players who certainly are not slow!

So this about turn is great, have at it is what I say. All it does is show yet again how clueless they are and how little research they actually make into these games. Let them focus on Bayern, and put the pressure on them.
You could see it after the game at Anfield. Of course, that's how you could react to a tough draw away from home, but the relieve was visible and that after a not-so-great result.
Most of the work still lies ahead(for them mostly), yet you could see that it was like a weight off the shoulders. That's a part of pre-game pressure, which their used to, but no matter who you are- pressure never really leaves you unnaffected. It STILL has an effect and judging on Tuesday- if we score, pressure will increase.

We'll have TAA and VVD back in defense (and Fabinho in midfield) so if they found it hard to score against a makeshift defense, just think about how tough it would be against a much more competent defense.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:41:39 am by the_red_pill »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: February 21, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
'resting' thats bollocks , these guys are at the peak of fitness

Except it's not really bollocks. Otherwise we wouldn't have been using the time for training for preparing again in Marbella for the umpteenth time.

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: February 21, 2019, 11:41:00 am »
When I was watching the Bayern's back four kept playing it from the back, one question came to my mind.

Were they (defenders) not panicking (if any) AT ALL during passing the ball really really deep near their goal line?

Seemed like not afraid, plainly relax and already knew the next step? Fucking hell!!

Salah, Firmino and Mane were aaaallll near them, a few meters away to punish even slight mistakes.

If I were the centre-back, I have already shitting bricks like hell.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #693 on: February 21, 2019, 11:44:29 am »
I've seen Rob Guttmann on twitter saying on twitter that after watching the game the other night, we don't really have anything to fear going into the 2nd leg. Now I personally find that a very naive point of view. If he really thinks Bayern will be that reserved and be as blunt as they were in attack as they were the other night, he is going to be in for a massive shock. Bayern will be a completely different animal next time out.

And so will we.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #694 on: February 21, 2019, 11:47:10 am »
When I was watching the Bayern's back four kept playing it from the back, one question came to my mind.

Were they (defenders) not panicking (if any) AT ALL during passing the ball really really deep near their goal line?

Seemed like not afraid, plainly relax and already knew the next step? Fucking hell!!

Salah, Firmino and Mane were aaaallll near them, a few meters away to punish even slight mistakes.

It's how they play (as do many teams), I hate it I gotta admit, drives me to distraction when Liverpool do it, although I get why they do it  ;D

But it's something they work on, something they do every week, with a settled back line who is used to playing like that. Players good on the ball, it's almost robotic for them the patters they play in those situations. It's a choreography.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: February 21, 2019, 11:47:51 am »

And that's why they are professionals, and you're not ;D

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: February 21, 2019, 11:48:26 am »
Except it's not really bollocks. Otherwise we wouldn't have been using the time for training for preparing again in Marbella for the umpteenth time.

It's properly mad that anyone can still have this lazy as fuck 'play your best 11 every game' thinking by now.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #697 on: February 21, 2019, 11:48:47 am »

I noticed they did what Pep did for the game earlier at Anfield.. they kept their fullbacks back, which is a surprising tactic for Bayern. Almost similar to the surprise when Pep changed his tactics to face us at Anfield.

They kept that back 4 "together" and organized at all costs. What they did not want- above anything- was to concede, which was strange in itself. They should've focussed on scoring at least- seeing that we had a makeshift defense. It was a golden opportunity, yet they spent their efforts on an element that wouldn't have such a great impact on the overall tie and MAY come back to bite them on the arse.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:54:42 am by the_red_pill »

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: February 21, 2019, 11:51:52 am »
And that's why they are professionals, and you're not ;D

You hurt my feeling POP... Bloody hell. That's harsh.  :-[

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #699 on: February 21, 2019, 11:54:49 am »
I'm old school. Absolutely nothing wrong with a nil nil at home in Europe in a first leg. It guarantees that we won't be losing on away goals and it guarantees that Bayern will have that little bit of extra uncertainty. It also puts them in that strange position of going one up and knowing that conceding one puts them out.

Van Dijk back and Fabinho in midfield adds a huge amount for us. It may go wrong for us, but even if it does, it won't be easy for Bayern. City had to play the game of their lives to beat us 2-1 and arguably had the rub of the green. Bayern were delighted with the draw. Sides that were out of our league a couple of years back are dramatically changing their tactics when they play us. We are a serious football team.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #700 on: February 21, 2019, 12:00:05 pm »
I'm old school. Absolutely nothing wrong with a nil nil at home in Europe in a first leg. It guarantees that we won't be losing on away goals and it guarantees that Bayern will have that little bit of extra uncertainty. It also puts them in that strange position of going one up and knowing that conceding one puts them out.

Van Dijk back and Fabinho in midfield adds a huge amount for us. It may go wrong for us, but even if it does, it won't be easy for Bayern. City had to play the game of their lives to beat us 2-1 and arguably had the rub of the green. Bayern were delighted with the draw. Sides that were out of our league a couple of years back are dramatically changing their tactics when they play us. We are a serious football team.

And that's the jist really. As it stands- we're headed for penalties.
If we score, they need 2- regardless of whether they have scored 1 already.

So.. how anyone could consider their 0-0 is an "edge" is beyond me. We're quietly laughing into our sleeve, while everyone else pats Bayern on the back and reassures them(they're already "reassured" judging by their visible relieve the other night) that they've done well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:03:43 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #701 on: February 21, 2019, 12:03:41 pm »
So.. how anyone could consider their 0-0 is an "edge" is beyond me.

I don't think anyone considers them to have an edge; it's completely in the balance. But they're in a better position now than they were before the game.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #702 on: February 21, 2019, 12:08:14 pm »
I don't think anyone considers them to have an edge; it's completely in the balance. But they're in a better position now than they were before the game.
As are we mate.
We didn't think we could keep a clean sheet against these with VVD out and we know away goals count.

Also- if you read the articles I posted earlier- one clearly says that Bayern have an "edge" and the consensus is that they have done well, while we haven't done as well. which is not the case. We're in a better position than we were before the tie kicked off. All it takes is 1 goal from us now. Our default position going into the 2nd leg now- is penalties; and we can't lose on the away goals rule(but they can).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:11:32 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: February 21, 2019, 12:18:59 pm »
It's how they play (as do many teams), I hate it I gotta admit, drives me to distraction when Liverpool do it, although I get why they do it  ;D
But it's something they work on, something they do every week, with a settled back line who is used to playing like that. Players good on the ball, it's almost robotic for them the patters they play in those situations. It's a choreography.
I noticed they did what Pep did for the game earlier at Anfield.. they kept their fullbacks back, which is a surprising tactic for Bayern. Almost similar to the surprise when Pep changed his tactics to face us at Anfield.
They kept that back 4 "together" and organized at all costs. What they did not want- above anything- was to concede, which was strange in itself.

Thanks Die Nullfünfer and the_red_pill for the reply, appreciate that. Yes, I agree.

Because seems like they are playing it to the extend that it's almost full to perfection. Calm, relax and precise.

I get it - training, keep repeating it, daily and even years playing together, understanding the patterns and all.

Impressive the way Hummels and Sule are doing it, seriously.

It's just I'm imagining if the back four of Kurt Zouma, Michael Keane, Lucas Digne and Jonjoe Kenny also can
be fully world class by repetitively training it and hundred times of simulation, coached by Hummels himself.  ;D

p/s: But I agree with the_red_pill, WOW we were pinning the attacking full-backs of Bayern Munich on their half!! Hahaha!!!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:24:11 pm by NarutoReds »

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: February 21, 2019, 02:10:48 pm »
To be honest I would take a win at United in exchange for a CL 16 round exit. We can't complete for both CL and PL this year and PL is clearly our priority.
Believer

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #705 on: February 21, 2019, 02:18:47 pm »

Exactly, my thoughts entirely. Even if Bayern are 2 up against us they will still be shitting it, we can produce 2 goals at any time. The fact they failed to score (or even really try to ) at Anfield I reckon will be their downfall.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #706 on: February 21, 2019, 04:00:22 pm »
Thanks Die Nullfünfer and the_red_pill for the reply, appreciate that. Yes, I agree.

Because seems like they are playing it to the extend that it's almost full to perfection. Calm, relax and precise.

I get it - training, keep repeating it, daily and even years playing together, understanding the patterns and all.

Impressive the way Hummels and Sule are doing it, seriously.

It's just I'm imagining if the back four of Kurt Zouma, Michael Keane, Lucas Digne and Jonjoe Kenny also can
be fully world class by repetitively training it and hundred times of simulation, coached by Hummels himself.  ;D

p/s: But I agree with the_red_pill, WOW we were pinning the attacking full-backs of Bayern Munich on their half!! Hahaha!!!

They came and tried to Pulis us. Watch the Championship, Bayern's tactic/strategy is used week-in week-out there and watching Bayern at Anfield was like watching a highly-organised Pulis team.

Klopp should try to shit on Kovac's plan to get us back there and finish us off by telliing the lads to go all out.

Would much rather see us go all out, rather than play any kind of tactical game in Munich.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: February 21, 2019, 04:10:36 pm »
To be honest I would take a win at United in exchange for a CL 16 round exit. We can't complete for both CL and PL this year and PL is clearly our priority.

Thankfully you're not the manager.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: February 21, 2019, 04:22:12 pm »
IFAB was looking to trial a 60 minute stopped clock rather recently I think as most professional games don't even have the ball in play that long out of the 90.  Think there was a game last year involving Burnley and someone else where the ball was in play for 48 minutes which is kind of ridiculous.  Granted I don't think that's a great solution and fixing penalties is probably a more pressing issue.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #709 on: February 21, 2019, 04:23:16 pm »

Based on what exactly?
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: February 21, 2019, 04:44:13 pm »
It's Champions League dude... Champions League. Sometimes on paper, yeah seems like impossible for us.
But I have read a lot from the "elders" here... There is a thing about our club European experience and PEDIGREE.
Like a different beast. Pedigree.

Seriously you don't want (prefer) being crowned as the King of Europe? It's us. Win that
and I can guarantee me and you, are going to have (or experience) a week of erection.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #711 on: February 21, 2019, 06:17:04 pm »
Passing around patiently...and sometimes bravely at the back. Thats a similarity in the Bayern and Man City approaches against us this season.

We were only very very small margins from getting goals in both games due to defensive errors....so dunno if its down to bad luck or the elite opposition finally figuring out a way to play us.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: February 21, 2019, 06:19:52 pm »
Relax all. We will beat them 1-0 at their place. I have confidence that with VVD we will keep them out.

Lets meet Man Shitty in the next round. I want to see that Coach again.😀

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #713 on: February 21, 2019, 06:31:30 pm »
Relax all. We will beat them 1-0 at their place. I have confidence that with VVD we will keep them out.

Lets meet Man Shitty in the next round. I want to see that Coach again.😀
We'll murder them 1-1. ;)

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: February 21, 2019, 06:34:01 pm »
It's properly mad that anyone can still have this lazy as fuck 'play your best 11 every game' thinking by now.

It's properly mad that people lack reading comprehension but feel compelled to have an opinion.

Your quote wan't what was said. It's nothing to do with playing the best XI every game or rotation. Absolutely nothing.

We lacked rhythm. Sharpness. Things that come from playing competitive matches. It's nice to have a break perhaps in terms of reducing the risk of injuries, but our game against Bayern looked very much to me like a group of players lacking match sharpness - the same thing that happens after an international break.

The team is best (first XI or rotated) when playing regularly, and a 10 day break isn't particularly helpful for that. A week is alright. More than that and little things start to loosen up. It's the same as playing in a band. Go a month without a practice and while you will feel fresh, there's a slackening that happens, little muscle memories or accents will change, and it takes time to get back into the rhythm. Twice a week and you'll be playing much better, much more together. And I think its not dissimilar to football at all.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #715 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:31 pm »
It's properly mad that people lack reading comprehension but feel compelled to have an opinion.

Your quote wan't what was said. It's nothing to do with playing the best XI every game or rotation. Absolutely nothing.

We lacked rhythm. Sharpness. Things that come from playing competitive matches. It's nice to have a break perhaps in terms of reducing the risk of injuries, but our game against Bayern looked very much to me like a group of players lacking match sharpness - the same thing that happens after an international break.

The team is best (first XI or rotated) when playing regularly, and a 10 day break isn't particularly helpful for that. A week is alright. More than that and little things start to loosen up. It's the same as playing in a band. Go a month without a practice and while you will feel fresh, there's a slackening that happens, little muscle memories or accents will change, and it takes time to get back into the rhythm. Twice a week and you'll be playing much better, much more together. And I think its not dissimilar to football at all.
And the same thing that was painfully obvious against Leicester after the long break and visible to a lesser extent in the game after that- West Ham. Very much start-of-the-season stuff.

It's just the "long" breaks we've had recently. Nothing wrong with our fitness- it's the "sharpness" that comes from 2 games a week, oiling the joints and all the moving parts of the machine; and the home game against Bayern would've helped tremendously. The game at Ye [m]Olde Traffort would take us even further towards sharpness.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:52:26 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: February 21, 2019, 06:41:15 pm »

The things, they aren't going a month without practice. They're going a month without testing. The better analogy would be a month of rehearsing but no gigs. Which is pretty standard for most bands, no? :D

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2019, 06:53:15 pm »
As are we mate.
We didn't think we could keep a clean sheet against these with VVD out and we know away goals count.

Also- if you read the articles I posted earlier- one clearly says that Bayern have an "edge" and the consensus is that they have done well, while we haven't done as well. which is not the case. We're in a better position than we were before the tie kicked off. All it takes is 1 goal from us now. Our default position going into the 2nd leg now- is penalties; and we can't lose on the away goals rule(but they can).
Thing is mate Bayern came for this exact result and they got it, they were clearly happy with it while we were frustrated in our attempts not to win the game. It's very even but I do think it is just about in their favour. Away goals are being slightly overplayed IMO, they have a very clear task ahead of them and that is to win the game in their own stadium by any scoreline and they're through. I think we'd have been happy with that had we played away in Munich first. Yes we'd be wary of them on the break but we'd fancy beating anyone at home, which they also will. Certainly far more than they'd fancy having to come to Anfield and get some sort of result.

If we go to Munich and get a score draw or a victory then it'll be right up there with the very best results we've had under Klopp or anyone else in the last decade.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #718 on: February 21, 2019, 07:00:36 pm »
Thing is mate Bayern came for this exact result and they got it, they were clearly happy with it while we were frustrated in our attempts not to win the game. It's very even but I do think it is just about in their favour. Away goals are being slightly overplayed IMO, they have a very clear task ahead of them and that is to win the game in their own stadium by any scoreline and they're through. I think we'd have been happy with that had we played away in Munich first. Yes we'd be wary of them on the break but we'd fancy beating anyone at home, which they also will. Certainly far more than they'd fancy having to come to Anfield and get some sort of result.

If we go to Munich and get a score draw or a victory then it'll be right up there with the very best results we've had under Klopp or anyone else in the last decade.
I understand your reasoning, but that's why I'm saying it's a false hope.
Regardless of whether they were happy with their result, doesn't make it a good result. It seemed to me to be more "relief".

1-0 and we win
1-1 and we win
0-2 and we win (and it will be a massive climb for them, because they would have to score 3)
1-2 and we win
2-2 and we win

Basically- 1 goal for us for every 2 goals for them. Simplified but that's the gist.

I can't see many goals in this and if you look at those possible scorelines- it's like a minefield for them. Like I said- as it stands- we're going to penalties. Neither of us would want that so a 0-0 away, is not as good a result to begin with. They can be as happy as they want to be with that. It's not such a good result for them as they and neutrals are makig out. For neutrals yes- because they can prolly look forward to some "real" footy in the second leg(and curse them), but it really is slightly in our favor- potentially. Think about how nervy we would've been if it was the reverse. Say we managed a 0-0 away to Bayern... some of us would be wetting the bed in trepidation.

1 Goal from us and it changes the whole Bayern outlook and state of mind- possibly the stadium as well.
1 Goal from them and we can go- "Meh... we're still going through if we can score a teensy 1 goal." - and that will be on their minds the whole time, while it will spur us on because we know the tie is really in our hands.
The away-goals rule might be overplayed, but it's still an advantage. It really is.
Doesn't diminish the fact- or the threat. A stat that says that 8 or 9 of the last 30 games were won by away goals(as opposed to 21 of those away goals not being worth it in the end) still doesn't diminish the threat or the possible advantage.

Fabinho will be key, because they are doing a City on us and if we had Fabinho at the Emptihead, you'd think we would've gotten "something" from City. They're going to do the same thing City did against us- at the Allianz.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:31:31 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: February 22, 2019, 12:06:41 am »
We'll nick this at their place ... just like in 81
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur