Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1400419 times)

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4520 on: February 4, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »
This is literally negativity. You're choosing to spend your life judging the way that other people who support your football team react to pressure. Maybe rather than racking your brain as to why fans of a club that haven't won the league in almost 3 decades might be nervous when in a precarious position at the top - just get on with enjoying the football? It's a choice, right? And you're choosing to be affected by some people feeling a little nervous about the situation? Some people just love moaning about others moaning, without seeing the glaringly obvious irony.

I do enjoy the football. Its the "Negative Nellys" who don't. Its not complicated, not sure how you can get this so wrong?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4521 on: February 4, 2019, 04:54:31 pm »
Maybe rather than racking your brain as to why fans of a club that haven't won the league in almost 3 decades might be nervous when in a precarious position at the top

This type of attitude isn't new to people on here. People were behaving the same year last year with CL qualification and the season before, keeping in mind we needed to win the last match to seal qualification, there were plenty prior to that game and through out the run in towards it that said

'we're going to bottle this in the end''

So it's not exclusive to just looking to win the title.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4522 on: February 4, 2019, 04:56:07 pm »
Okay, maybe to give the whole atmosphere-around-the-club-thing a little perspective: I'm a lifelong Dortmund supporter, having been raised in the city and never thought about supporting any other German club. My dad always had a soft spot for Liverpool, I guess due to the Kop being the cradle of today's way of supporting your team with chants and banners and all that. And probably also the glamour around the teams of the 70s and 80s. So he passed his passion on to me.
Whenever I had seen some Premier League highlights (which were way less common to get to see in Germany in the early 00s of course) of, say, Bergkamp or van Nistelrooy or what have you and was excited about it, he would always go: "Well not bad, sounds pretty good. But who the hell likes ManU/Arsenal? Those are strange clubs". I didn't stand a chance to be fair. If Dad says so, it's probably right. So all the other German kids interested in international football fancied Arsenal's one-touch invincibles. And then there was me, not getting it. Like "really? Arsenal? How?"
Of course accessibility has grown and these days I barely miss a game. Considering broadcasting rights in the UK I probably have better access to live games than most english native supporters ;D Well, that's the short short version of how I ended up on this site. So here's my take on the atmosphere in the ground and around the club in a title challenge.

One can say I can't join the conversation, since I haven't been waiting for a league title for 29 years. And that is actually right, I can't argue with that. I have only started watching EVERY Liverpool game when Klopp took over. Because I was hoping for and kind of anticipating what we are witnessing now. I mean, I had seen it before (the timing of his arrival also coincided with great accessibility of international football in Germany, so that played into it as well). So I am joining the conversation, especially because Dortmund are also challenging again this season. And I follow Liverpool's more closely because I'm more excited about it. But I sense fundamental differences reading on this forum and being in touch with everything going on in Dortmund.
My best example of what "title challenges" feel like in this city is this season's Bayern-game (was too early back then to actually call it a "challenge" I would say). I was at that game and what went on on the terraces was indescribable. Bayern completely dominated that first half and it all looked like the season was back to taking its usual course. Did I really believe at halftime we could turn this game around and make it a proper title challenge? Fuck no! But it didn't matter. Not to anyone in the stadium did that matter. We were willing the team on, if we're going down we're going down the hard way. And boy did the lads come out firing! Quick equalizer and the ground was shaking and bouncing. And then -of course- right when we started believing maybe this could even work out for us, Bayern went ahead again just three minutes later. The entire ground (apart from the away end that is) went dead silent for like five seconds. But only for everyone to then simultaneously get off their seats and shout the team on again. It was just random noise and Come on!s but it did the job. It was clear that no heads were going to drop and every mistake was going to be forgiven, as long as everyone gave it their all until the final whistle goes. At that point, I clearly didn't believe we were going to win. But I still wouldn't transport these emotions to the lads, how is that ever going to help anyone? In Dortmund this is the way we do it. There's never a sentiment of "maybe we're gonna fuck up" in the stadium. I think it used to be the same in Liverpool, I mean come on. It's still where support comes from and it's why my dad loves the club. And therefore, it's why I do, too.
Yes, waiting for a title for almost 30 years is something else compared to having won it three times this millennium. But we had been waiting for 32 years until we won the Bundesliga for the first time in 95. We fell short in heartbreaking fashion in 92, being top like 5 minutes before the end of the season. Still, the fans gathered to celebrate the team like they had won something and chanted "German champions will only be BVB" (hard to translate as it's an uncommon formulation in German as well).
So I understand that I'm an outsider in this conversation and am just so full of hope and joy and not waiting as desperately as you guys are. But what happens on the terraces transfers onto the pitch, you can really trust everyone saying that (especially if it's the captain and manager of this club). People going to the games right now do have a great responsibility. If anyone can get me tickets, I'll be happy to show I'm not just talking the talk (I know it's not happening, but just to point it out). But that's not what this is about, you lads and lasses don't need anyone to show you how to support your team going for a big one. You just need to take a deep breath and put your focus on the right mindset before going to a game. What anyone writes on here, I don't think that has much of an effect on the way things are going.
If City are top before the Bournemouth game, so what? It's not going to have any effect on the outcome of that game. But the way the supporters would respond to that I'm sure would have an impact.
Thanks for the post, and well said. Your dad sounds like a top fella btw. :)

I was in Istanbul at half time singing YNWA even though we all thought we'd lost the game. I know that's 14 years ago now, but has that spirit really gone? I'd like to think not.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4523 on: February 4, 2019, 05:03:26 pm »
The Dortmund game at Anfield is the belief we need collectively at every home match regardless of what transpires on the pitch. You can be nervous and you can celebrate and be passionate at the same time. It's not one or the other.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4524 on: February 4, 2019, 05:04:23 pm »
So many pretending to positive on here about everything but privately are probably very different. It's easy to spot them, normally found jumping on others opinions, taking offence when anyone dares to compliment a rival team or getting their knickers in s twist when everyone else in the league doesn't beat a rival for us. Live and let live FFS.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4525 on: February 4, 2019, 05:06:30 pm »
Thanks for the post, and well said. Your dad sounds like a top fella btw. :)

I was in Istanbul at half time singing YNWA even though we all thought we'd lost the game. I know that's 14 years ago now, but has that spirit really gone? I'd like to think not.

I think the singing at half time was more carthesis than support. Someone started YNWA and it it was a no more than a mumble and then the song just caught fire as everyone started singing it. I think that song was more for the fans who were at their lowest footballing point than for the team in the dressing room. The song was a way of getting through the sheer despression of the previous 45 minutes.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4526 on: February 4, 2019, 05:08:12 pm »
So many pretending to positive on here about everything but privately are probably very different. It's easy to spot them, normally found jumping on others opinions, taking offence when anyone dares to compliment a rival team or getting their knickers in s twist when everyone else in the league doesn't beat a rival for us. Live and let live FFS.

Good to have you back, you went extremely quiet for a while there, funnily enough straight after Utd beat Spurs. ;)

And great post Korb, thanks!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4527 on: February 4, 2019, 05:09:46 pm »
This is literally negativity. You're choosing to spend your life judging the way that other people who support your football team react to pressure. Maybe rather than racking your brain as to why fans of a club that haven't won the league in almost 3 decades might be nervous when in a precarious position at the top - just get on with enjoying the football? It's a choice, right? And you're choosing to be affected by some people feeling a little nervous about the situation? Some people just love moaning about others moaning, without seeing the glaringly obvious irony.

I can only answer for myself but I'm not arsed if people want to be a little direct and negative if they perceive an issue. Would far rather that than some passive repressed position.

I'm talking about being negative when watching our team in the ground. Our supporters have a responsibility and a job to do. And of all the jobs in a stadium on a matchday, it's the easiest one going.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #4528 on: February 4, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »

And another thing  :P its not me judging is it? Its our manager and Colossus. When its clear its becoming an issue for the team fucking right I'm gonna call it out for what it is. Otherwise, yeh, you're probably right I shouldn't give a shit about how negative anyone was on a football forum.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4529 on: February 4, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
Okay, maybe to give the whole atmosphere-around-the-club-thing a little perspective: I'm a lifelong Dortmund supporter, having been raised in the city and never thought about supporting any other German club. My dad always had a soft spot for Liverpool, I guess due to the Kop being the cradle of today's way of supporting your team with chants and banners and all that. And probably also the glamour around the teams of the 70s and 80s. So he passed his passion on to me.
Whenever I had seen some Premier League highlights (which were way less common to get to see in Germany in the early 00s of course) of, say, Bergkamp or van Nistelrooy or what have you and was excited about it, he would always go: "Well not bad, sounds pretty good. But who the hell likes ManU/Arsenal? Those are strange clubs". I didn't stand a chance to be fair. If Dad says so, it's probably right. So all the other German kids interested in international football fancied Arsenal's one-touch invincibles. And then there was me, not getting it. Like "really? Arsenal? How?"
Of course accessibility has grown and these days I barely miss a game. Considering broadcasting rights in the UK I probably have better access to live games than most english native supporters ;D Well, that's the short short version of how I ended up on this site. So here's my take on the atmosphere in the ground and around the club in a title challenge.

One can say I can't join the conversation, since I haven't been waiting for a league title for 29 years. And that is actually right, I can't argue with that. I have only started watching EVERY Liverpool game when Klopp took over. Because I was hoping for and kind of anticipating what we are witnessing now. I mean, I had seen it before (the timing of his arrival also coincided with great accessibility of international football in Germany, so that played into it as well). So I am joining the conversation, especially because Dortmund are also challenging again this season. And I follow Liverpool's more closely because I'm more excited about it. But I sense fundamental differences reading on this forum and being in touch with everything going on in Dortmund.
My best example of what "title challenges" feel like in this city is this season's Bayern-game (was too early back then to actually call it a "challenge" I would say). I was at that game and what went on on the terraces was indescribable. Bayern completely dominated that first half and it all looked like the season was back to taking its usual course. Did I really believe at halftime we could turn this game around and make it a proper title challenge? Fuck no! But it didn't matter. Not to anyone in the stadium did that matter. We were willing the team on, if we're going down we're going down the hard way. And boy did the lads come out firing! Quick equalizer and the ground was shaking and bouncing. And then -of course- right when we started believing maybe this could even work out for us, Bayern went ahead again just three minutes later. The entire ground (apart from the away end that is) went dead silent for like five seconds. But only for everyone to then simultaneously get off their seats and shout the team on again. It was just random noise and Come on!s but it did the job. It was clear that no heads were going to drop and every mistake was going to be forgiven, as long as everyone gave it their all until the final whistle goes. At that point, I clearly didn't believe we were going to win. But I still wouldn't transport these emotions to the lads, how is that ever going to help anyone? In Dortmund this is the way we do it. There's never a sentiment of "maybe we're gonna fuck up" in the stadium. I think it used to be the same in Liverpool, I mean come on. It's still where support comes from and it's why my dad loves the club. And therefore, it's why I do, too.
Yes, waiting for a title for almost 30 years is something else compared to having won it three times this millennium. But we had been waiting for 32 years until we won the Bundesliga for the first time in 95. We fell short in heartbreaking fashion in 92, being top like 5 minutes before the end of the season. Still, the fans gathered to celebrate the team like they had won something and chanted "German champions will only be BVB" (hard to translate as it's an uncommon formulation in German as well).
So I understand that I'm an outsider in this conversation and am just so full of hope and joy and not waiting as desperately as you guys are. But what happens on the terraces transfers onto the pitch, you can really trust everyone saying that (especially if it's the captain and manager of this club). People going to the games right now do have a great responsibility. If anyone can get me tickets, I'll be happy to show I'm not just talking the talk (I know it's not happening, but just to point it out). But that's not what this is about, you lads and lasses don't need anyone to show you how to support your team going for a big one. You just need to take a deep breath and put your focus on the right mindset before going to a game. What anyone writes on here, I don't think that has much of an effect on the way things are going.
If City are top before the Bournemouth game, so what? It's not going to have any effect on the outcome of that game. But the way the supporters would respond to that I'm sure would have an impact.

Good post this

Its almost like some of our fans can't take the pressure of being in a title race. Well guess what... There is going to be pressure every week. There are still 14 games to go

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4530 on: February 4, 2019, 05:11:37 pm »
I'm going to chill out and try to enjoy what's left of the season. It feels awful shit projecting years of disappointment onto players that had no role in it. If this current lot fail so be it, that's life. I just don't want us to win the league and I haven't actually enjoyed it as much as I should have along the way. Let's see what happens.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4531 on: February 4, 2019, 05:13:24 pm »
This is pretty much what everyone should be telling themselves.

The people who are stressing about a draw at Leicester need to calm down. There's more than a third of the season still left to play.

The people who thought we could win the league after City got beat by Newcastle need to calm down too. There's more than a third of the season still left to play.

A draw at home to Leicester is not fatal to our title chances. Conversely a 7 point lead wouldn't have meant that the league was almost ours.

The same type of logic applies to tonight's game. A win would be good. But even a loss wouldn't rule us out of the title race.

I understand that people want this league win more than anything from a footballing perspective. I do too. But we need to remember that there's a long way to go in this season yet. There'll be twists and turns during these last 14 games. Wanting us to win the league so much may not be a great thing. Eventually that pressure and tension has got to transmit itself to the players and manager. Whether that's through people at the ground, interactions with people the players see on a day to day basis or people on social media.

Yeah. People on both sides, the "bedwetters" and the "superfans" (to use two RAWK terms) need to chill out. I don't really believe in this 'every game is a cup final' shite either. We've got 14 games left to decide this title, not 90 minutes. Thinking like that, putting that much pressure on each individual game, leads to atmospheres like that against Leicester, people nervy as fuck when things aren't going perfectly. Such a long way to go boys. We're going to drop points and so are Man City.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 05:29:13 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4532 on: February 4, 2019, 05:13:41 pm »
When you've been a football fan for most of your life you tend to deal with football in different ways. Some are optimistic and have a positive outlook regardless of the upcoming fixture or the result. Others are maybe glass half empty, don't count chickens and treat every game with apprehension because anything can happen in 90 mins. Both ways of supporting your club are perfectly valid.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4533 on: February 4, 2019, 05:20:21 pm »
When you've been a football fan for most of your life you tend to deal with football in different ways. Some are optimistic and have a positive outlook regardless of the upcoming fixture or the result. Others are maybe glass half empty, don't count chickens and treat every game with apprehension because anything can happen in 90 mins. Both ways of supporting your club are perfectly valid.

Agreed. This forum would be boring if there were no difference of opinions, but the supporters at the games need to hide their anxiety/worry/negativity.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4534 on: February 4, 2019, 05:32:48 pm »
Maybe because we'd had good success in the 60s, lack of social media or the 70s and 80s had some bad shit going on (IRA, Cold war and Thatcher to name just three) and people were more phlegmatic but if you look at some of the winning title margins in those decades fans must have nerves of steel. Liverpool's points total first, runner up second (obviously)

Two points for a win
72/73  60/57
75/76  60/59
76/77  57/56
79/80  60/58

Three points for a win
81/82  87/83
82/83  82/71
83/84  80/77
85/86  88/86
87/88  90/81
89/90  79/70

So with the exception of the highlighted titles in the 1980s all of the others had a fine marginn, a draw, 2 draws, a win, a win and a draw.

So buckle up and hold tight as I would suspect this seasons winning margin, whover wins it, will be tight.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4535 on: February 4, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »
Agreed. This forum would be boring if there were no difference of opinions, but the supporters at the games need to hide their anxiety/worry/negativity.

Agreed but this thread has become boring in itself now!

On my way home, read the kids a story, get changed, and leg it to the pub quick sharp! Come on the mighty reds, let’s twat these twats.

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #4536 on: February 4, 2019, 05:38:37 pm »

Tremendous input from Korbflechter here. Lets listen to him/her and bring the best we can bring to Anfield for the rest of this season. What a world it would be for Liverpool, Dortmund, and the Red Sox to champions at the same time. It can and will happen people...just believe! Salah and Mane will enjoy themselves tonight...let's do the same  :scarf

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4537 on: February 4, 2019, 05:50:12 pm »

Great post and some really good perspective in it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #4538 on: February 4, 2019, 05:53:02 pm »

Good post and spot on.

I think the main difference between the Liverpool of old and the Liverpool of new, and indeed Liverpool and Dortmund, is the demographics od match-going support and indeed the overall culture of the match-day experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've only seen Union Berlin play in Germany so can't comment on the Bundesliga), but in Germany the match-day experience is affordable, the match-day culture still feels quite community oriented and, maybe most importantly, it is still highly accessible to younger fans (and especially those who want to stand together). Basically all the things that it used to be here. Unfortunitely the Premier League is none of those things.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 05:55:05 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #4539 on: February 4, 2019, 06:03:06 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/d-diB65scQU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/d-diB65scQU</a>
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4540 on: February 4, 2019, 06:21:57 pm »
I think the singing at half time was more carthesis than support. Someone started YNWA and it it was a no more than a mumble and then the song just caught fire as everyone started singing it. I think that song was more for the fans who were at their lowest footballing point than for the team in the dressing room. The song was a way of getting through the sheer despression of the previous 45 minutes.
Speak for yourself. I definitely wanted the players to hear it and feel it, even if we got battered 2nd half as well.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4541 on: February 4, 2019, 06:33:09 pm »
I'd say I'm the latter but wouldn't think of myself of a half-empty type of guy. It's just that we've set such a high standard for ourselves this season that the draw to Leicester almost felt like a loss. On another day if we had a smooth snowless pitch and less injuries, we'd have twatted them 4-0. But alas, such is football. I personally hope we absolutely destroy West Ham like we've never done before, would send out such a statement and it'd get the confidence right up not only within the players but also fans, backroom staff etc.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #4542 on: February 4, 2019, 06:34:25 pm »
it was a weird one wasnt it, suppose it depends on where you were in the ground, me i was behind the goal half way up on line with 6 yard box line. All the goals were at the other end too...  anyway that YNWA, was the most solemn, profound soothing song to ease that pain, but it remained beautiful but became fierce (and sung slowly too).  Will never ever forget that YNWA heard so many over the years, but football (on the pitch matters) related that  was up 2nd only to the 89 cup final.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #4543 on: February 4, 2019, 06:46:12 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really enjoy reading this forum. :wave

Good post and spot on.

I think the main difference between the Liverpool of old and the Liverpool of new, and indeed Liverpool and Dortmund, is the demographics od match-going support and indeed the overall culture of the match-day experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've only seen Union Berlin play in Germany so can't comment on the Bundesliga), but in Germany the match-day experience is affordable, the match-day culture still feels quite community oriented and, maybe most importantly, it is still highly accessible to younger fans (and especially those who want to stand together). Basically all the things that it used to be here. Unfortunitely the Premier League is none of those things.

Yes, it is affordable and attracts exactly the people you're referring to. German supporters are really keen on it staying that way, too. Bayern fans successfully went against AEK Athens for ripping them off in their away game there. Whenever supporters of any club feel they're being milked, they are going to make their voices heard and there will be an outcry among supporters from other clubs as well. In that regard, German supporters really stand together. And it is much needed, otherwise it probably already wouldn't be this way anymore.

As for the demographics, one has to give credit to the older chaps (is that only men btw? I mean to include women anyway ;D) in the stadium as well, though. The share of younger people probably makes it more likely to create an atmosphere, but never count out the experienced. They are not few either and they can go when it matters. Especially when it comes to putting pressure on the ref and stuff like that ;)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4544 on: February 4, 2019, 06:51:46 pm »
The mindset is a bit mental.

Saw an LFC fan on the BBC comment section (I know), saying that City are looking 'frightening' again. This after a Phil McNulty article which finished with 'the champions are back in the mood to fight to hold on to their crown.'

Imperious, unstoppable, frightening, score for fun.

They lost 2-1 to Newcastle less than a week ago.

They'd taken 15 points from a possible 30 in the ten league games prior to Arsenal. We got 25. Now they won't continue that bad and we might not remain that good but the hyperbole surrounding them is nuts.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4545 on: February 4, 2019, 06:53:50 pm »
This game is being held at Pulling, Away. Lovely this time of year.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4546 on: February 4, 2019, 06:54:45 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really enjoy reading this forum. :wave

Yes, it is affordable and attracts exactly the people you're referring to. German supporters are really keen on it staying that way, too. Bayern fans successfully went against AEK Athens for ripping them off in their away game there. Whenever supporters of any club feel they're being milked, they are going to make their voices heard and there will be an outcry among supporters from other clubs as well. In that regard, German supporters really stand together. And it is much needed, otherwise it probably already wouldn't be this way anymore.

As for the demographics, one has to give credit to the older chaps (is that only men btw? I mean to include women anyway ;D) in the stadium as well, though. The share of younger people probably makes it more likely to create an atmosphere, but never count out the experienced. They are not few either and they can go when it matters. Especially when it comes to putting pressure on the ref and stuff like that ;)

There is a really good Bundesliga thread in the General Football part of the website Korbflechter, it's a really good one would enjoy your contribution on there, should you be interested. Especially with Dortmund doing so well once again.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #4547 on: February 4, 2019, 07:14:50 pm »
There is a really good Bundesliga thread in the General Football part of the website Korbflechter, it's a really good one would enjoy your contribution on there, should you be interested. Especially with Dortmund doing so well once again.

You're absolutely right. I have read through it every now and then to see how you guys feel about the Bundesliga, but never thought about contributing. Will definitely change that.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4548 on: February 4, 2019, 10:23:43 pm »
I expect man city to score 8 or 9 past everton in their next game with both everton fans and players applauding every goal scored against them.
You can never trust everton.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #4549 on: February 4, 2019, 10:24:42 pm »
Ah, nice, brilliant. Was waiting for this to happen. With Everton rolling over, Man City will take the lead with a game extra and the pressure is going to go back on them. At this moment in time we need some new momentum taking us forward cos a few things went against us to place us on the backfoot:

- poor pitch v Leicester
- penalty not given
- a number of wrong offside calls v West Ham
- injuries at the back and now midfield too
- players sort of midseason breaky results in a sort of take-2 and some players yet to rediscover their rhythm after the holiday

Despite this and many more factors, if we could've just nicked a goal at the end v West Ham, that could've been our tonic... but the pendulum is swinging Man City's way now... and I don't mind it... it will swing our way again... and that's when we pounce and got to ride with it.

Most of all we need to solve some glaring issues as follows:

- Firmino needs to stop overplaying his options, many times the simple pass will get someone through but he messes it up.
- We need to stop predictably pushing the ball wide and then hoping for a cross to make the goal. We're overdoing that.
- A few more issues but will just state that for now
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #4550 on: February 4, 2019, 10:27:53 pm »
Can’t wait for the champions league, we all need a rest bite right now!!

Let’s enjoy being top whilst we still can

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4551 on: February 4, 2019, 10:28:44 pm »
I expect man city to score 8 or 9 past everton in their next game with both everton fans and players applauding every goal scored against them.
You can never trust everton.

Its just cos everton are shite really

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4552 on: February 4, 2019, 10:29:58 pm »

Hopefully you were looking in the mirror when you posted this. I mean you seem to think we’ve blown it already so what exactly are you enjoying?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Fernando_Torres_Was_Good

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4553 on: February 4, 2019, 10:30:34 pm »

Rest bite.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4554 on: February 4, 2019, 10:32:13 pm »
It's no time to be losing heads at all. This is what happens over a 38 game season, there are bumps in the road. City's campaign last year coupled with the rise of this mad social media fan appears to have skewed people's views.

To strip it back, we are badly depleted at the back. We have a 33 year old winger cum midfielder labouring at right back, and we're not even one centre back down, we're at a fourth choice who plainly doesn't look good enough at the very top level that we are aspiring to be at. We've taken 2 points in circumstances where we could easily have come away with zero.

It's vital we get Trent and Lovren back swiftly as a minimum. Our game is so reliant on our full backs. Hopefully once they are back the clean sheets will return and we can start nicking 1-0's again on difficult nights like tonight and last week. That is the only difference between now and earlier in the campaign

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4555 on: February 4, 2019, 10:36:32 pm »
Its just cos everton are shite really

Well there’s that too, everton are indeed shite. A very very shit team.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4556 on: February 4, 2019, 10:38:13 pm »
Well there’s that too, everton are indeed shite. A very very shit team.
Just like to add to this..

Silva is shite, Richarlison is shite and so is Sigurdson.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4557 on: February 4, 2019, 10:40:48 pm »
Gutting 2 results that still leave us top, i'm fucked off with those 2 performances but it could be a hell of a lot worse

Injury wise, we need as many players back as possible and fast. From what I was reading Trent could be back for Saturday which is fucking huge, having both a natural right back in defence and someone with quality in delivery going forward aids our game massively as well as freeing up Milner or Henderson for a midfield role either starting or off the bench.

Van Dijk needs to take back control off the defence, he's looked a little vulnerable the last few games but what i've noticed most is he isn't quite as assertive at the moment, he's usually barking instructions, telling players where they need to be, screaming at anyone who dares allow the opposition to get a cross in, these last two games he looks a lot more passive and seems to now be speaking after the event in a reactionary manner rather than pre-empting the trouble or situation unfolding. Not saying the two are linked and its much more likely to be a result of personnel changes in the back line but we seem to have lost the offside trap that has looked so well drilled all season. Before it was a freekick, a finish from the other side and you just knew that offside flag was going up because you can see the line we've held, now its, track the fucking runners, where's the flag... ffs.

Mane looks the only one in the front 3 capable of making something happen at the moment. Firmino just looks a touch of the pace and out of position and Salah, I don't even know. Looks like he's lost all confidence for some reason, still flashes of brilliance like the little drag to sell 2 defenders tonight but it seems to be little and infrequent rather than often which it is at his best

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4558 on: February 4, 2019, 10:45:16 pm »
It's no time to be losing heads at all. This is what happens over a 38 game season, there are bumps in the road. City's campaign last year coupled with the rise of this mad social media fan appears to have skewed people's views.

To strip it back, we are badly depleted at the back. We have a 33 year old winger cum midfielder labouring at right back, and we're not even one centre back down, we're at a fourth choice who plainly doesn't look good enough at the very top level that we are aspiring to be at. We've taken 2 points in circumstances where we could easily have come away with zero.

It's vital we get Trent and Lovren back swiftly as a minimum. Our game is so reliant on our full backs. Hopefully once they are back the clean sheets will return and we can start nicking 1-0's again on difficult nights like tonight and last week. That is the only difference between now and earlier in the campaign

Yep, feels shit tonight, even worse than shit in fact and some aspects of the performance were worrying but we are in the most amazing position still. In August I'd have ripped an arm off for 6 behind at this stage then give it a right go, obviously that doesn't make losing a 7 point lead any less disappointing but we are still in such a great place, it was never sustainable to keep beating everyone outside the top 6 and we were never just going to stroll to the title with 104 points or whatever.

Bournemouth are beyond pathetic away from home and don't have it in them to do a Leicester so hopefully we are back to winning ways on the weekend then who knows on Sunday, Spurs and City have tough games.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #4559 on: February 4, 2019, 10:45:27 pm »
Inevitable change to the thread title on Wednesday.  :)
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored