Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399240 times)

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chasing the Title
« on: October 29, 2018, 11:24:33 am »
Thanks Neil,

I read your written review first so wasn't surprised by the Pink. The strength of the Wrap from the start has been the sense that it's a group of people who are part of 'us' rather than 'them' and for the most part that's reassuring because for the most part we all tend to agree (give or take differences over particular players).

We are in a strange place at the moment when it's clear that we have the potential to win the league but also know that City are juggernauts with their oil money and Pep.

We've been there before when Roman bought Chelsea and Mourinho won the league with a relentless campaign. But we had Rafa and Istanbul and for a while it seemed that he would take us to the title we all crave - 08/09 felt like we were almost there but the ownership issues bought it all crashing down.

In 13/14 we won the league (almost) and played amazing football but again it was a false dawn. I don't want to speak for you but for me there's a small nagging doubt that even as we assemble an amazing team with the perfect manager under owners who are showing real commitment, that circumstances (City) will once again snatch away victory unless we are absolutely perfect.

There are very few teams that are going to lose to City and we have to match that. We can't rely on anyone taking points off them - it will happen but rarely - so our attitude to every game has to be the same. And though it's mad to be worried about goal difference after 10 games, it will be an issue. We should have scored 7 or 8 and we shouldn't have conceded. That's not arrogance of entitlement - it's simply a question of whether or not we ant to win the league this season.

Keep up the good work. It's good to hear new voices as well as the old favourites.

Totally disagree with this and the narrative about City on here and growing on TAW.

So, if this becomes the prevailing viewpoint, that we have to score an avalanche of  goals and match City's goal difference then it becomes problematic. You are enabling a financially doped team to distort the context of what our team are achieving. Noticed City sell any important players recently? No, me neither - see Sterling become one of City's best players last season, and Coutinho and Suarez beat Real Madrid 5-1 yesterday? The team that are statistically the best team to have ever played in the top flight in English football? You want us to score more, concede less, beat on points and in doing so amass our record points tally and goal difference. And if not: fume?

Here's what will happen: it will start with people such as Neil and yourself becoming disillusioned with 4-1 wins at home, putting us on 8 wins and 2 draws -  stating that we absolutely need to keep pace with City because: Crystal Palace. This will eventually become a narrative for a whole strata of fans on Twitter, who will ignore the nuances of the narrative and reduce it to: we need to score 5 a game. Then, when we hit a rocky patch, where do you go from being frustrated with 4-1 at home to drawing with Wolves at home? I'll tell you. Just like the West Ham game all those years ago, booing - cruel, twisted, vindictive bile. Soon enough, we'll have "crisis" pods with Paul Senior and Nevin popping back to tell everyone he was right. (I really like these two contributors, by the way, but facts are facts).

The Ronnie Moran analogy harks back to an age Mourinho is desperately attempting to cling onto - klaxon: it doesn't exist any more. Modern players don't respond to being berated, so hammering players when they have won 4-1- whether it be from managers or fans who have a social media presence-  it just becomes part of the Arsenal TV cycle, a reductive narrative that ignores the achievements of the team and manager in the pursuit of something we have never achieved in our lifetime: 100 points and a goal difference in the region of 80. In 1978, our goal difference was 69, in 87-88 it was 63. Never mind our history, or we got 75 points last season and a goal difference of 46 - we have decided we need to match City. That's the flag in the ground and I'll be "seething" whenever my flag isn't hoisted like a league title.

Klopp has raised expectations beyond belief with 8 wins and 2 draws from 10 games - once we hit a rocky patch, the masses will begin to swirl and smell blood. Just as they have on Henderson.

It reminds me of the cyclists who were watching the yellow jersey of Lance Armstrong as he doped himself to seven Tour de France victories - I can imagine their fans hammering them for not nailing Alpe d’Huez, not being as fast or as brilliant as Armstrong. When in fact, they were absolutely performing at their optimum.

Conclusion? Fucking enjoy going toe to toe with them. Forget goal difference, I'll bet you £100 now they will have a better goal difference, whether we win the league or not (genuine offer). it's not going to happen, hammering the team to do so will be counter productive to atmosphere.

Support the team, don't let the vile disenchantment of goal difference deter from what is shaping up to be a tremendous season. And believe me, from going to Anfield for 30 years, I know that will happen - the shouts, the desperation, the groans, the dissatisfaction - the bipolar opposite of the great European nights.

Up the Mighty Fucking Reds.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2019, 05:50:38 pm by JerseyKloppite »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 11:54:54 am »
Totally disagree with this and the narrative about City on here and growing on TAW.

So, if this becomes the prevailing viewpoint, that we have to score an avalanche of  goals and match City's goal difference then it becomes problematic. You are enabling a financially doped team to distort the context of what our team are achieving. Noticed City sell any important players recently? No, me neither - see Sterling become one of City's best players last season, and Coutinho and Suarez beat Real Madrid 5-1 yesterday? The team that are statistically the best team to have ever played in the top flight in English football? You want us to score more, concede less, beat on points and in doing so amass our record points tally and goal difference. And if not: fume?

Here's what will happen: it will start with people such as Neil and yourself becoming disillusioned with 4-1 wins at home, putting us on 8 wins and 2 draws -  stating that we absolutely need to keep pace with City because: Crystal Palace. This will eventually become a narrative for a whole strata of fans on Twitter, who will ignore the nuances of the narrative and reduce it to: we need to score 5 a game. Then, when we hit a rocky patch, where do you go from being frustrated with 4-1 at home to drawing with Wolves at home? I'll tell you. Just like the West Ham game all those years ago, booing - cruel, twisted, vindictive bile. Soon enough, we'll have "crisis" pods with Paul Senior and Nevin popping back to tell everyone he was right. (I really like these two contributors, by the way, but facts are facts).

The Ronnie Moran analogy harks back to an age Mourinho is desperately attempting to cling onto - klaxon: it doesn't exist any more. Modern players don't respond to being berated, so hammering players when they have won 4-1- whether it be from managers or fans who have a social media presence-  it just becomes part of the Arsenal TV cycle, a reductive narrative that ignores the achievements of the team and manager in the pursuit of something we have never achieved in our lifetime: 100 points and a goal difference in the region of 80. In 1978, our goal difference was 69, in 87-88 it was 63. Never mind our history, or we got 75 points last season and a goal difference of 46 - we have decided we need to match City. That's the flag in the ground and I'll be "seething" whenever my flag isn't hoisted like a league title.

Klopp has raised expectations beyond belief with 8 wins and 2 draws from 10 games - once we hit a rocky patch, the masses will begin to swirl and smell blood. Just as they have on Henderson.

It reminds me of the cyclists who were watching the yellow jersey of Lance Armstrong as he doped himself to seven Tour de France victories - I can imagine their fans hammering them for not nailing Alpe d’Huez, not being as fast or as brilliant as Armstrong. When in fact, they were absolutely performing at their optimum.

Conclusion? Fucking enjoy going toe to toe with them. Forget goal difference, I'll bet you £100 now they will have a better goal difference, whether we win the league or not (genuine offer). it's not going to happen, hammering the team to do so will be counter productive to atmosphere.

Support the team, don't let the vile disenchantment of goal difference deter from what is shaping up to be a tremendous season. And believe me, from going to Anfield for 30 years, I know that will happen - the shouts, the desperation, the groans, the dissatisfaction - the bipolar opposite of the great European nights.

Superbly put and 100% correct

Online justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »
Ronnie Moran would have disagreed with this it's fair to say. What do you want out of this season? Be top for 24 hours? Win 4-1 while City are winning 6-0? get 2.6 points per game and lose the title on goal difference?

Neil's comments were the podcast equivalent of Moran sticking a cardboard box of medals on the table and saying 'take one if you think you deserve one'.

I want to have a good time watching the reds. I want fans to be patient. I don’t want to hear a 90% negativity vibe after we win a game comfortably 4-1.

Ronnie Moran never saw Liverpool have such a good start after 10 games, it’s fair to say.

I would personally like for that to be a foundation for some positivity.

I could understand the negativity if we got away with one. But we didn’t. We played against a team that came to anfield with the sole intention of trying not to concede goals. And they conceded 4.

Edit.

By the way, bloody cracker of a post from James G. Should be a thread of its own.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:52:49 pm by justshorn »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chasing the Title, Chasing Manchester City
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:19 pm »
I wrote this in response to the negativity surrounding our win at the weekend in the TAW thread, but want to open up the discussion on what it means to compete with Manchester City and the problems we face if we predicate everything we achieve on them. I normally couldn’t be arsed, but I think it’s important for us to assess as a fanbase how we go into a battle for the title with such a good team.

If we allow ourselves to assess the success of our season on the idea  that we have to score an avalanche of  goals every game and match City's goal difference then it becomes problematic. You are enabling a financially doped team to distort the context of what our team are achieving. Noticed City sell any important players recently? No, me neither - see Sterling become one of City's best players last season, and Coutinho and Suarez beat Real Madrid 5-1 yesterday? The team that are statistically the best team to have ever played in the top flight in English football? You want us to score more, concede less, beat on points and in doing so amass our record points tally and goal difference. And if not: fume?

Here's what will happen: it will start with people becoming disillusioned with 4-1 wins at home, putting us on 8 wins and 2 draws -  stating that we absolutely need to keep pace with City because: Crystal Palace. This will eventually become a narrative for a whole strata of fans on Twitter, who will ignore the nuances of the narrative and reduce it to: we need to score 5 a game. Then, when we hit a rocky patch, where do you go from being frustrated with 4-1 at home to drawing with Wolves at home? I'll tell you. Just like the West Ham game all those years ago, booing - cruel, twisted, vindictive bile. Soon enough, we'll have "crisis" pods with Paul Senior and Nevin popping back to tell everyone he was right. (I really like these two contributors, by the way, but facts are facts).

Getting nostalgic and waxing about Ronnie Moran battering players after winning the league harks back to an age Mourinho is desperately attempting to cling onto - klaxon: it doesn't exist any more. Modern players don't respond to being berated, so hammering players when they have won 4-1- whether it be from managers or fans who have a social media presence-  it just becomes part of the Arsenal TV cycle, a reductive narrative that ignores the achievements of the team and manager in the pursuit of something we have never achieved in our lifetime: 100 points and a goal difference in the region of 80. In 1978, our goal difference was 69, in 87-88 it was 63. Never mind our history, or we got 75 points last season and a goal difference of 46 - we have decided we need to match City. That's the flag in the ground and I'll be "seething" whenever my flag isn't hoisted like a league title.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:02:44 pm by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Chasing the Title, Chasing Manchester City
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 01:14:44 pm »
Just win the games, honestly. We only had to chase the game against Palace because we fucked up against Chelsea (and in fairness, we were still on an amazing run at that point so think its rich to even call that a fuck up). The reason we didn't win the league that season was much earlier in the season dropping silly points against sides like Hull.

We haven't done that this season so far, the four points we dropped were completely understandable against Chelsea and City.

Plus so far, there seems to have been a change in tactic where we're a bit less energetic and press less. If that's all by design to conserve energy later in the season then I'm fine with it really. I honestly cant see it coming down to goal difference.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:19:11 pm »
Forget goal difference

This though to be fair I don’t think Neil Atkinson on the Pink was necessarily worried about goal difference. I wrote the below about a week ago when responding to someone saying we need to score a hatful versus Huddersfield….

"I'm not too worried about GD at the moment. We've knocked in 4 and 3 against WHU and Soton respectively. Only really the Brighton home game were we've scored less than expected. They are a decent team defensively as well.

If there's a massive difference in GD come Xmas but only a small difference in points total then it might be something to worry about. At the moment it's about collecting points and to keep on rolling towards a 85+ points total"

People are getting themselves all hot and bothered about goal difference 10 games into the season. I know the counter argument to this, but if we lose the league on goal difference then there’s not much we can do. It’ll be the most frustrating thing ever. However, we shouldn’t be worrying about it now. I actually think it could be counter productive if the players are getting conscious about the need/expectation to win by 4, 5, 6 clear goals in certain games.

At the stage of the season Klopp and the players shouldn't be going full throttle every game to wrack up the goals. It’s about racking up wins at the moment and we are doing very well at that. Just enjoy it and see where it takes us.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:20:18 pm »
The league won't be won/lost on goal difference.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 01:20:47 pm »
Good post and strongly agree with the sentiment.

This is the best Liverpool team and squad in my time as a supporter and I'm loving every second. We're competing against the most productive team in the history of the sport in this country and we're holding our own.

All that can be asked is that the club, manager and players give everything they've got. If anyone doubts that's what is happening - I think they're a fool.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 01:21:06 pm »
Considering we haven't been playing particularly good this season and look at where we are right now it is truly fantastic (most credit to the defence). Imagine our attack to kick off right now (they actually have) and we stay injury-free for the rest of the season we can really aim for the title. Man city is ahead of us for sure but they are not invincible as they also dropped point to Wolves.
Believer

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 01:21:09 pm »
Just win the next game and worry about the options later

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »
Goal difference had never entered my mind , 26 points from 30 is title winning  form .Thinking peoples worries are we are much better than what we’ve produced on the pitch from a football point of view and not a points return .
Honestly we could have easily lost to both Chelsea and City in the league and fucked up v Huddersfield but we haven’t so let’s just take the postive of 26 points and we’re only starting to click into gear and will get much better

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:34 pm »
I don’t want to comment on the Cardiff game in isolation. Had we not won we’d all be kicking ourselves but then that throws back uncomfortable parallels to drawing 0-0 with Fulham to go top to a smattering of boos in 08/09.

I think unfortunately you can’t discuss the title race without thinking about City. Not in the goal difference stakes. I agree it’s too early to worry about that for now. What will be will be. Currently we’re above and beyond what we all expected at the start of the season. We know margin for error is tiny if we are to win the League. I know City dew with Wolves but the way the League is going it’s hard to see them dropping many points outside top 5 clashes (and even then, not that many!).

When it’s tight like that and we’re in the mix I think by nature we all feel edgier. I was constantly updating on saturday hoping to see a killer second goal. When it came I breathed a sigh of relief and when they scored I allowed all manner of negative thoughts to creep in for 5 minutes or so. Weirdly it’s sometimes easier to enjoy our football more when there’s less riding on it. It’s easier to relax and be patient for us to eventually destroy teams like Cardiff when we’re say third in the league and 10 points off the pace. We know deep down the goals will come but it doesn’t feel so important if they don’t.

The reality is though we are in a title battle. Next week might tell us more and if we come through that ok there will be many more games like Cardiff lying in wait. The ones which you used to search out for some relief, thinking “home banker” but now come with even more pressure because dropping points in these games seems unthinkable.

Think we just all have to learn to embrace that. It’s far better than the many alternative scenarios we’re normally already going through 10 games into the season.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:31:12 pm by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 01:34:35 pm »
Good OP. 8 wins and 2 draws in the first 10 league games and people are worrying about goal difference  :o. Wonders never cease. We are turning into a winning machine and that is how titles are won. Beating the lower placed opposition week in week out and then trying to at least match the top sides in games against each other. If we average 2.6 ppg and only concede at the rate we are then we will win the title. In fact I would go as far as to say that all great title winning sides are built on incredibly solid defensive foundations and we have that.

We have a fantastic manager, good squad and have suffered the loss of our best player and only improved since. Our football at times is a joy to watch. The manner in which we control games is also now a joy to watch.

Enjoy the ride fellas.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 01:34:50 pm »
I don’t want to comment on the Cardiff game in isolation. Had we not won we’d all be kicking ourselves but then that throws back uncomfortable parallels to drawing 0-0 with Fulham to go top to a smattering of boos in 08/09.

I think unfortunately you can’t discuss the title race without thinking about City. Not in the goal difference stakes. I agree it’s too early to worry about that for now. What will be will be. Currently we’re above and beyond what we all expected at the start of the season. We know margin for error is tiny if we are to win the League. I know City dew with Wolves but the way the League is going it’s hard to see them dropping many points outside top 5 clashes (and even then, not that many!).

When it’s tight like that and we’re in the mix I think by nature we all feel edgier. I was constantly updating on saturday hoping to see a killer second goal. When it came I breathed a sigh of relief and when they scored I allowed all manner of negative thoughts to creep in for 5 minutes or so. Weirdly it’s sometimes easier to enjoy our football more when there’s less riding on it. It’s easier to relax and be patient for us to eventually destroy teams like Cardiff when we’re say third in the league and 10 points off the pace. We know deep down the goals will come but it doesn’t feel so important if they don’t.

The reality is though we are in a title battle. Next week might tell us more and if we come through that ok there will be many more games like Cardiff lying in wait. The ones which you used to search out for some relief, thinking “home banker” but now come with even more pressure because dropping points in these games seems unthinkable.

Think we just all have to learn to embrace that. It’s far better than the many alternative scenarios we’re normally already going through 10 games into the season.

This is me as well.

What actually happened when I reflected calmly was the team shrugged it's shoulders, kept the ball for a few minutes to kill their mood, then picked them apart.

We're a brilliant side. Our fanbase is still recovering I think, me included, from near misses and a load of years of hurt. If we can just get this monkey off our backs.....

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 01:35:37 pm »
Good post and strongly agree with the sentiment.

This is the best Liverpool team and squad in my time as a supporter and I'm loving every second. We're competing against the most productive team in the history of the sport in this country and we're holding our own.

All that can be asked is that the club, manager and players give everything they've got. If anyone doubts that's what is happening - I think they're a fool.

Agree with this totally, at least it's the best team I can remember for decades.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »
This is me as well.

What actually happened when I reflected calmly was the team shrugged it's shoulders, kept the ball for a few minutes to kill their mood, then picked them apart.

We're a brilliant side. Our fanbase is still recovering I think, me included, from near misses and a load of years of hurt. If we can just get this monkey off our backs.....

That’s very true. The first title win in this era will surely be the hardest. We had a taste of it in 13/14 and that near miss ruined me for a long time!

No one’s going to give us this easily, thankfully we have a manager better than us in dealing with the pressure of competing with a financially more powerful, relentless competitor.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 01:39:44 pm »
That’s very true. The first title win in this era will surely be the hardest. We had a taste of it in 13/14 and that near miss ruined me for a long time!

No one’s going to give us this easily, thankfully we have a manager better than us in dealing with the pressure of competing with a financially more powerful, relentless competitor.

Agree as well. Win one, and more will follow pretty quickly. I remember the pressure release for united when they won their first under Ferguson after a similar period of time and with a near miss previously.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »
to be honest im just hoping for a title challenge......forget worrying about it being lost on goal difference!  :o

title talk for me enters around March/April. sure may speculate from time to time but its barely November ffs

At the moment its just about keeping in touching distance of the top, if we can lead from the front then great! Way too soon for all this talk imo

But I absolutely agree with sentiments of OP

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 01:51:24 pm »
I haven't been this confident about our defending since Rafa's sides from 2005 to 2008. In the sense that  if we score first, we aren't losing, and we aren't conceding, and we don't crumble under pressure when we do concede.

Keep in mind the only sides that have taken the lead against us have been Chelsea and Napoli.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 02:01:24 pm »
We may or may not keep up with City on goal difference but if we beat them and everyone else on points then it don't matter.
#JFT97

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:33 pm »

Keep in mind the only sides that have taken the lead against us have been Chelsea and Napoli.

True but we lost one and drew the other.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 02:08:38 pm »
I agree with the OP, there is no "right" to win, and there should be no complacency. But I am not a fan of the thread title. This is not a two horse race.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
If we had this squad in certain seasons past - we would have pissed the league with a 15+ point lead. But it was not to be, and we have to face a really formidable, financially doped side that play great football. In the end, it's quite possible we could watch the best Liverpool team in three decades - and still win nothing. This is why people's expectations need to be firmly grounded. There are no guarantees, we just need to keep improving - and this much we're clearly doing. It may not be enough, luck plays a major factor as well - but let's keep improving and see where we end up.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 02:16:15 pm »
True but we lost one and drew the other.

2 out of 14 games that we've played, that's exactly my point, it's not happening very often

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 02:16:57 pm »
I agree with the OP, there is no "right" to win, and there should be no complacency. But I am not a fan of the thread title. This is not a two horse race.

I think it’s fair. It’s not a two horse race at the moment and we could ed up finishing below Chelsea, Arsenal or even Spurs. But I think we’re all chasing City and if we finish above them we’ll almost certainly be Champions. Just can’t see a way they won’t be in the top 2.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 02:21:22 pm »

2 out of 14 games that we've played, that's exactly my point, it's not happening very often

True enough , but title winning ambitions we may just need to turn them into wins and think that will come as we improve

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 02:22:19 pm »
. Our fanbase is still recovering I think, me included, from near misses and a load of years of hurt. If we can just get this monkey off our backs.....

The thing is, we might yet find a way, but I'm not sure what could be fucking worse than either:

a) One of our best ever players, a scouser, our captain falling on his fucking arse against a team of hated rivals in a moment almost guaranteed to cost us the game and the league 2 and a half games from glory.

b) after the most breathtaking run to a final our best player being deliberately injured, our keeper deciding to play crown green bowls against the most successful club in european history, followed by having his wrists turn into jacobs crackers.

Am sure we can find something, perhaps finishing on 100 points but still not winning the league will do it, but with all that said - fuck it - let's enjoy the ride.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 02:22:56 pm »
Atletico competing with Barca and Real is, for me, comparable to us competing with Man City and Chelsea.  Not when it comes to history, prestige, fanbase etc, but when it comes to buying and retaining the world's best players.  We are the underdogs and to expect we're going to outgun them over a league campaign is asking a lot, thinking we can be more ruthless and gain more points is achievable.

La Liga table for 2013/14...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_La_Liga#League_table

Atletico won the league despite having an inferior goal difference of 16 and 15 to Barca and Real respectively.  Sure, had Atletico dropped another three points they would have finished third on goal difference - but they didn't!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 02:24:04 pm »
Atletico competing with Barca and Real is, for me, comparable to us competing with Man City and Chelsea.  Not when it comes to history, prestige, fanbase etc, but when it comes to buying and retaining the world's best players.  We are the underdogs and to expect we're going to outgun them over a league campaign is asking a lot, thinking we can be more ruthless and gain more points is achievable.

La Liga table for 2013/14...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_La_Liga#League_table

Atletico won the league despite having an inferior goal difference of 16 and 15 to Barca and Real respectively.  Sure, had Atletico dropped another three points they would have finished third on goal difference - but they didn't!

All great points but in Spain, positions aren't decided on goal-difference, they're decided by head to head records first.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 02:30:37 pm »
I am pretty sure Pep changed the way City play to accommodate our attacking force in the game at Anfield , i cant remember him doing that in England before he knows we are a major threat, we just have to keep winning games, they have a tricky one tonight then we have a tough away on Saturday the games will come thick and fast in the coming months mixed in with CL games , its great to be a part of it we have looked on for to long
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 02:33:07 pm »
All great points but in Spain, positions aren't decided on goal-difference, they're decided by head to head records first.
;D

Maybe their fans were as neurotic as ours then but instead due to their loss/draw with Real.

Irrespective, the team with the best goal difference doesn't always win the league.  It's beyond my statto skills but how many times have the top leagues in Europe been decided by something other than points in the last 10-20 years?

Offline theredyank

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 02:34:55 pm »
It looks like we are starting to hit form, and our attackers are clicking into gear. If we can manage that with the solidity we have had so far, I am really excited to see how far this team can go. Champions or no, I think this will be one of the best league seasons we've seen in a long, long time.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 02:40:04 pm »
;D

Maybe their fans were as neurotic as ours then but instead due to their loss/draw with Real.

Irrespective, the team with the best goal difference doesn't always win the league.  It's beyond my statto skills but how many times have the top leagues in Europe been decided by something other than points in the last 10-20 years?

The only one that comes to mind is 2012 when City won it over United. Real won in 2007 via head to head record over Barca.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:41:49 pm by deFacto »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 02:40:19 pm »

I take that and agree with it, it was an oblique reference to the Lance Armstrong slant. I’ve found that analogy fantastic when talking to City fans.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 02:40:21 pm »

:wellin

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 02:43:31 pm »
It looks like we are starting to hit form, and our attackers are clicking into gear. If we can manage that with the solidity we have had so far, I am really excited to see how far this team can go. Champions or no, I think this will be one of the best league seasons we've seen in a long, long time.

26 points after 10 games = 2.6ppg. 38 x 2.6 = 98.8 points.

Good enough to win the league in every season of English football, except for last season. Which, as we all know, was won with 100 points by the team that are the favourites for the league this year. It is the main reason, along with recent disappointments, for the less than celebratory feeling amongst the fanbase.

As those numbers show - we need to just enjoy what we've got. We're brilliant. What will be will be.

I doubt we'd need 98/99/100 points to win it, but we may well need 95-97. 

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 02:48:35 pm »
;D

Not exactly what you asked for but Klopp missed out on promotion with Mainz by one goal. I think the decisive was scored in added time of the last game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:52:18 pm by Larse »

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 03:02:49 pm »
It's great to be in the mix but it is way too early to talk about the title. I think December will really put down a marker - we'll have 7 (!) league games (+ a CL fixture against Napoli). If we manage to maintain our good form then and come out of that ridiculous month without any major injuries, then we can start to dream. Right now its important to take it one game at a time and just win.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »
It's great to be in the mix but it is way too early to talk about the title. I think December will really put down a marker - we'll have 7 (!) league games (+ a CL fixture against Napoli). If we manage to maintain our good form then and come out of that ridiculous month without any major injuries, then we can start to dream. Right now its important to take it one game at a time and just win.

Amen to that

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 03:13:17 pm »
I take that and agree with it, it was an oblique reference to the Lance Armstrong slant. I’ve found that analogy fantastic when talking to City fans.

ha ha - very good work.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.