Author Topic: Gatwick Chaos due to Drones  (Read 14487 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Gatwick Chaos due to Drones
« on: December 20, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this.

Gatwick airport disruption: easyJet cancels all flights today saying 'no indication' when runways will reopen – live

Gavin Williamson confirms military involvement as it is unclear when flights will resume with thousands of passengers facing disruption caused by drones over the runway

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/dec/20/gatwick-airport-drone-travel-chaos-disruption-live-updates

And more here:

The drone crackdown: if a trained eagle can't stop them, what will?

Authorities scramble to find ways to tackle drones as Gatwick shutdown highlights lack of progress

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/20/the-drone-crackdown-gatwick-if-a-trained-eagle-cant-stop-them-what-will
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gatwick Chaos due to Drones
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:01:03 pm »
Reading this bit from the article, why don't they block the signal, and then it'll either spin out of control, or if it flies back to the operator they've just led the police straight to them. I suppose it could be programmed to do something else if its signal is blocked but all possibilities from that seem better than just leaving it in control of the operators. Presumably as it is just a trial the UK police/security services don't have access to that technology.

Other approaches have been trialled that involve jamming the control signal to target drones, usually with a directional antenna, such as the IXI Dronekiller, advertised in April this year. The device sends out high-powered radio waves on the same frequencies as those used to control the drones, blocking the commands from the operator. For cheaper models, that results in the drone simply spinning out of control, while more sophisticated drones know to automatically return to their operator if they lose signal.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:02:56 pm »

Needs a good guy with an even bigger drone.

Lucy Fisher ✔
@LOS_Fisher

BREAKING: Gavin Williamson has just confirmed to me & other reporters: “We will be deploying the armed forces” at #Gatwick, who will use “unique military capability” to help in the drone crisis.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:02:56 pm »
Was Jose flying out at the time by any chance?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 06:04:56 pm »
Needs a good guy with an even bigger drone.

Lucy Fisher ✔
@LOS_Fisher

BREAKING: Gavin Williamson has just confirmed to me & other reporters: “We will be deploying the armed forces” at #Gatwick, who will use “unique military capability” to help in the drone crisis.

Get Japan on the phone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35070818

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
When they catch the prick, don't prosecute, just publish his picture name and address and leave him to his fate.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 06:08:22 pm »
Like the volcano we now need RyanAir to test fly a few empty jets through a swarm of drones to prove they are harmless......

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 06:08:52 pm »
When they catch the prick, don't prosecute, just publish his picture name and address and leave him to his fate.

Just make them wait in the departure lounge at Gatwick for the combined amount of time of every passengers delays....  ;D

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »
Find it really hard to believe that after the first disruptions they were not ready with either a helicopter or drone to track the drone back to where it came from if it happened again.

Now they are fucked because they are in a position where they pretty much know someone is doing this deliberately, so if they say 'ok he has't flown in a few hours' and start the runway again then something happens they will be blamed. What a shit show!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 06:34:09 pm »
Find it really hard to believe that after the first disruptions they were not ready with either a helicopter or drone to track the drone back to where it came from if it happened again.

Now they are fucked because they are in a position where they pretty much know someone is doing this deliberately, so if they say 'ok he has't flown in a few hours' and start the runway again then something happens they will be blamed. What a shit show!

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 06:42:39 pm »
Absolutely incredible story this, so much chaos for so little outlay.

I know nothing about drones, but anyone who does - is it feasible that these are being controlled so remotely that it’s not even from the UK?

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:27 pm »

So it just got there or they didn't bother using it? 

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 06:46:03 pm »

I know nothing about drones, but anyone who does - is it feasible that these are being controlled so remotely that it’s not even from the UK?

In short - yes they can be, but feasible wise nobody has any clue what is going on at the minute so could be anything from a 12 year old to some Russian guy sat in Siberia.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 06:47:42 pm »

It would be possible for the person literally with the controls to be in another country, but there would need to be some sort of device locally sending the signal to the drone, unless the drone has a 4G cellular connection but I don't know if that kind of connection would work well with drones (speaking from a high level here, I know nothing about drones).

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 06:50:57 pm »
It would be possible for the person literally with the controls to be in another country, but there would need to be some sort of device locally sending the signal to the drone, unless the drone has a 4G cellular connection but I don't know if that kind of connection would work well with drones (speaking from a high level here, I know nothing about drones).
Say someone hid an iPad and a couple of drones near the perimeter, then took off to, say, Russia, then tried to operate them from there, could that work?  Just as an example, for example.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 06:52:24 pm »
Say someone hid an iPad and a couple of drones near the perimeter, then took off to, say, Russia, then tried to operate them from there, could that work?  Just as an example, for example.

Seems possible to me.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »

Yes, you can control them from anywhere with connection and with the right set up, lots of pretty easy apps etc to do it with. Which obviously then throws all kind of scenarios into the mix! But I think the most likely is a few local scallys or someone who's really pissed off with the airlines/airport for some reason. Who knows, absolute crazy situation though!

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 06:59:11 pm »
Just make them wait in the departure lounge at Gatwick for the combined amount of time of every passengers delays....  ;D

Haha ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 07:10:26 pm »
So they can't shoot them down due to issues with the potential stray bullets. Can't they just send up their own drone to knock it down? Or jam its signal?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 07:10:27 pm »
If it is scallies they’ve got some nerve to still be at it with a manhunt on.  Crazy guy with a grudge though, I could see that.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 07:25:26 pm »
Somebody at work earlier mentioned a group of school kids going to Greenland for the day, couldn't go because of this.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:59 pm »

They have used three crews today to search for the drone and its pilot.

Posted at 18:5818:58
Gatwick disruption: Latest from National Police Air Service
Captain Paul Watts, Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Operations at the National Police Air Service, said: “The National Police Air Service has been involved in helping search the area near Gatwick Airport for the drone pilot and guide police on the ground.

“Sussex Police requested our support shortly after 21:00 GMT on Wednesday, and again this morning at 09:00.

"So far, we have used three helicopter crews, from our NPAS Redhill, NPAS London and NPAS Benson bases.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-sussex-46564814
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 07:40:57 pm »
If it is scallies they’ve got some nerve to still be at it with a manhunt on.  Crazy guy with a grudge though, I could see that.

Yeah, people with a grudge against an airline wouldn’t be hard to find.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 07:45:05 pm »

It's been up and down and in use. The photos of it in the air were from the Daily Mail so I didn't post them. It would probably be relatively easy to shoot them down but these are commercial size and might kill someone if they crashed.

I'm always surprised when you see the size and power of some of these things - things you can buy on line with no checks no licensing as far as I can see. It's ridiculous.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 07:46:04 pm »

They have used three crews today to search for the drone and its pilot.

Posted at 18:5818:58
Gatwick disruption: Latest from National Police Air Service
Captain Paul Watts, Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Operations at the National Police Air Service, said: “The National Police Air Service has been involved in helping search the area near Gatwick Airport for the drone pilot and guide police on the ground.

“Sussex Police requested our support shortly after 21:00 GMT on Wednesday, and again this morning at 09:00.

"So far, we have used three helicopter crews, from our NPAS Redhill, NPAS London and NPAS Benson bases.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-sussex-46564814

Sorry mate, my point is that basically soon as it’s spotted they could have had a drone up in the air. All hindsight of course but having helicopters just flying around looking to see if they can spot it on the ground it a bit optimistic. But maybe they did try to follow it but couldn’t get up in time, so maybe they’ll hire a drone operator in future as I imagine getting a helicopter started and across to the sighting isn’t exactly a 30 second job

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 07:52:57 pm »
So they can't shoot them down due to issues with the potential stray bullets. Can't they just send up their own drone to knock it down? Or jam its signal?
This is what I don't understand. Why not just send a chopper up and shoot down on the drone, so there's no chance of the bullets landing anywhere but the airfield. Even rubber bullets would do the job.

I hope the higher-ups come down hard on whoever's controlling it. No doubt the airlines will sue Gatwick for the millions of £ they've lost already.

EDIT: Just seen Heathrow is also having problem with the IT system at British Airways. The UK really is a joke right now, and they think they're ready for a no deal Brexit yeah right
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:02:22 pm by King.Keita »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 08:12:48 pm »

Sorry mate, my point is that basically soon as it’s spotted they could have had a drone up in the air. All hindsight of course but having helicopters just flying around looking to see if they can spot it on the ground it a bit optimistic. But maybe they did try to follow it but couldn’t get up in time, so maybe they’ll hire a drone operator in future as I imagine getting a helicopter started and across to the sighting isn’t exactly a 30 second job

They were my thoughts earlier, why don't they have a hunter/killer drone on standby? There are systems in existence that could be used. This highlights that all the UK airports need to get measures in place ASAP.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 08:28:18 pm »
My brother and his family sat there from about 5.30am this morning until they were told to go home about 6pm, not sure if they'll be able to get another flight until after Christmas now.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:06 pm »
They were my thoughts earlier, why don't they have a hunter/killer drone on standby? There are systems in existence that could be used. This highlights that all the UK airports need to get measures in place ASAP.

Same with everything though, nothing is ever done or put in place until something goes wrong. All they needed was two guys with barely commercial drones on each end of the runway/perimeter fence with a spotter, then follow the drone back to where it came from. All sounds a bit too easy though so you'd surely expect there was some reason they couldn't do that.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
Same with everything though, nothing is ever done or put in place until something goes wrong. All they needed was two guys with barely commercial drones on each end of the runway/perimeter fence with a spotter, then follow the drone back to where it came from. All sounds a bit too easy though so you'd surely expect there was some reason they couldn't do that.

They’ve been looking at this issue for two years. That article I posted addresses most of the issues. As with most things that are a piece of piss to deal with on the internet, the reality is more complex.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »
I feel for those who are trying to fly out to meet family. All this hassle just because of some utter moron/morons.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 09:08:39 pm »
They’ve been looking at this issue for two years. That article I posted addresses most of the issues. As with most things that are a piece of piss to deal with on the internet, the reality is more complex.

Most of those ideas are to get the thing out of the sky. Surely the most simple approach is to get another drone in flight on first sighting then track it back to where it lands. It may not have prevented the drone in the first place but it would stop/find it after it happened.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 09:08:45 pm »
They've confirmed suspects

YNWA

Online rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 09:18:51 pm »
when was the last time it was spotted? 9am this morning? how long are they going to suspend flights for?

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 10:36:32 pm »
when was the last time it was spotted? 9am this morning? how long are they going to suspend flights for?

They'll suspend indefinitely as they think someone is doing it on purpose.

Police just said there has been 50 sightings so far today? 50?? Stupid question, the police/airport have actually seen it more than once right? Is that why they haven't been able to track it down as they haven't actually got any sight of it? What a crazy situation.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 11:15:30 pm »
Can't they just use counter drones to follow the drone back to base or knock it out of the sky while it's over the airport? All seems very odd that this has been going on for so long.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 11:15:39 pm »
This may sound mad but did anyone who worked there get sacked recently and left on bad terms?

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 11:21:01 pm »
This made me laugh [emoji15]

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:00 pm »

Get on the horn to Liz Truss and borrow a few of those barking dogs from the prisons.    :wave

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 11:32:02 pm »
Get on the horn to Liz Truss and borrow a few of those barking dogs from the prisons.    :wave

;D

Have only just seen that. Is it Kwasi Kwarteng behind her trying to hold it together?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."