Author Topic: Armistice Day  (Read 5730 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Armistice Day
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 03:28:28 pm »
Was reading about this photo on Reddit. It's was not taken 4 years later and there is a number of reasons how you can tell. Won't go into details in this thread as it's not the thread for it. The second photo is a doctored version of the first.

I was going to say that the bottom looked like a doctored version. It would have to have been four years later at exactly the same day of the year, time of day and weather conditions.

*edit - just checked in PhotoShop. A really poor job. You can see where they've used the clone tool and the remaining soldiers are standing in exactly the same positions as they did in 1914.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:38:56 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »
I was going to say that the bottom looked like a doctored version. It would have to have been four years later at exactly the same day of the year, time of day and weather conditions.

*edit - just checked in PhotoShop. A really poor job. You can see where they've used the clone tool and the remaining soldiers are standing in exactly the same positions as they did in 1914.

Also the trees to the right of the photo are the same which obviously wouldn't be the case 4 years later and the car is parked in exactly the same place.

I believe it was done to represent the number of men lost. But not with the actual remaining members of the battalion.

EDIT: Feel free to remove my posts from this thread. I understand it's not what the thread is for.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »
I know.  I get pretty angry whenever I hear that cheap gag about the French surrendering easily - there’s a reason France chose to try to avoid hell again in 1940.  It’d be a bit of a mood killer though, so I generally don’t say so.

That said, the village my family’s from put up a war memorial a few years ago.  It’s a tiny place, maybe about 250-300 people today but larger then I’d’ve thought, but there are about fifty names and addresses on there (there was a specific disaster that inflated the WWI toll, so a lot of them bear the same date).  Because the houses have mostly been in the same families since they were built, I can see relatives’ names whom I never knew existed.  You can’t think about it too much.

Ya, and there is a reason they built the maginot line and tried to avoid war with Hitler until it was too late. That goes for England and others too. Chamberlain is seen today as an idiot for waving a piece of paper and declaring peace in our times. But what he did then was popular. Nobody wanted to go back to that hell and tried to stave it off as long as they could. In hindsight it is easy to judge when in fact entire nations and generations were suffering PTSD.

Frances lost 4% of its population and the war was fought mostly in France.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 11:57:01 pm »
Programme on iPlayer about shell shock.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2018, 01:50:00 am »
There was a BBC play years ago that highlighted something I had never heard about after the war until then.

There were something like 12 people who stumbled back to the Allied lines after an attack and had lost all their identifying parts of their uniform and all their friends had been killed.

I've just tried to google it ad can't find anything quickly.

But there were cases of guys stumbling back to the lines either naked or clothes blown off, totally shell shocked and barely able to speak and absolutely no idea who they were or where they came from. They ended up in mental institutions for the rest of their days. Not all unknown soldiers were dead.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 02:32:18 am »
From the Pathe News archives; you may need to join the group 'Merseyside on Film' to view. The Liverpool Pals.

https://www.facebook.com/MerseysideOnFilm/videos/570799716694915/UzpfSTU3MzIxODIwMzoxMDE1NTY2OTcxMDM1ODIwNA/
That video was brilliant.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2018, 05:56:16 pm »
They shall not grow old has to be one of the greatest things I have ever watched,transfixed from the first minute until the last.

Amazing.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 09:42:55 pm »
^^^Just finished watching it.

It was fantastic. So many little subtleties you don't think about. It's good to see footage of them enjoying themselves as well. And the way the veterans tell the stories so casually about the most fucked up things imaginable. Tragic.

And the journey it charted was done very well. Everyone signing up in an excited fit of nationalism, to experieincing absolute horror, to becoming completely blaise about it, to finding out the Germans were decent blokes after all and no-one wanted to be fighting each other, to being gutted the war ended because you felt lost, to being glad it was over, to get getting home to a public that could never understand what you had been through and didn't want to know.

And to think their sons went off to fight another world war twenty years later.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:10 pm »

It was fantastic. So many little subtleties you don't think about. It's good to see footage of them enjoying themselves as well. And the way the veterans tell the stories so casually about the most fucked up things imaginable. Tragic.

And the journey it charted was done very well. Everyone signing up in an excited fit of nationalism, to experieincing absolute horror, to becoming completely blaise about it, to finding out the Germans were decent blokes after all and no-one wanted to be fighting each other, to being gutted the war ended because you felt lost, to being glad it was over, to get getting home to a public that could never understand what you had been through and didn't want to know.

The process you describe well sounds like the plot of All Quiet On The Western Front, the fantastic American film made based on the Book about common German soldiers. It won the first ever Academy Award un 1930. I'd bet money that it influenced Jackson and his crew.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:11:23 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 10:01:02 pm »

"Where have you been,you been on nights ?"

And the injured fella who robbed all of the pocket watches  ;D

And the guy who tried acting all cool for the camera and almost impaled himself  :lmao
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:53 pm »
Hope this is ok to post in here. I stumbled across this website - astreetnearyou.org

You can type in your own house or street and it shows the addresses of the poor lads who died local to that address during the first world war.
The shocking thing is it only portrays about half of the boys who died as a lot of addresses were not registered.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:28 pm »
Hope this is ok to post in here. I stumbled across this website - astreetnearyou.org

You can type in your own house or street and it shows the addresses of the poor lads who died local to that address during the first world war.
The shocking thing is it only portrays about half of the boys who died as a lot of addresses were not registered.

Thanks for posting that link. What an amazing site.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 08:10:21 pm »

There is an area of terraced streets in St Albans with a small memorial plaque at the end of each road which named any residents who died in WWI? I've never seen this anywhere else. Has anybody come across similar street specific memorials?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 08:31:10 pm »
Fantastic site. My dad's side of the family were all based around Woolwich and a lot were in the forces, especially the Royal Artillery.

Two of my relatives are listed. One died in the Battle of Zanzibar early in the war and is buried on a small island off the coast of Tanzania. The other was buried in Curragh Military Cemetry, Co Kildare.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 10:39:07 am »
There is an area of terraced streets in St Albans with a small memorial plaque at the end of each road which named any residents who died in WWI? I've never seen this anywhere else. Has anybody come across similar street specific memorials?

Hi there, sorry, only just seen your post. Had a quick look and it seems it is unique to St Albans. I'd never heard of it so thank you for mentioning it.

https://thespab.wordpress.com/2015/08/06/war-memorials-st-albans/

This article mentions a village a few miles away from St Albans. Also it seems sadly a few of the plaques have been destroyed in the 60s.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 11:00:16 am »
Remembering everyone who have suffered losses due to armed conflict around the world.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 03:41:51 pm »
Ya, and there is a reason they built the maginot line and tried to avoid war with Hitler until it was too late. That goes for England and others too. Chamberlain is seen today as an idiot for waving a piece of paper and declaring peace in our times. But what he did then was popular. Nobody wanted to go back to that hell and tried to stave it off as long as they could. In hindsight it is easy to judge when in fact entire nations and generations were suffering PTSD.

Frances lost 4% of its population and the war was fought mostly in France.

Germany lost almost 4% as well, but seemingly with the opposite effect.

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2019, 03:55:32 pm »
Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds—
Woke once the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides
Full-nerved, still warm, too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?

Wilfred Owen

I remember doing this for English literature back in the day - moved me then and moves me now.

My grandfather fought in WW1 (similar story to Alan_X) - Ypres, Somme etc. Awarded Military Medal for outstanding bravery.

Heartbreaking when you read his war diary and the "matter of fact" way they dealt with the death of their close friends and comrades. (https://www.lizandarcy.co.uk/newpageb63b453a - if anyone wishes to have a read).

:'(

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2019, 04:34:00 pm »
To my grandads that fought in Burma & Italy, and nans who were in the land army. RIP

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2019, 06:08:39 pm »
Is right .

My Grandad was a Lancashire Fusilier and me Da is 3 Para as you all know .  One of my Great Uncles was stuck in the battle for Caen and came unstuck in Holland ( I can't think of his Regiment but something to do with tanks ) . Me Nan use to go and visit his grave every now and then.

We think we've got it hard . Just for one second imagine what these went through. What every Soldier has gone through when there getting bombed and shelled for no gain.

Lest We Forget .

My great grandad was in the Lancashire Fusiliers. 10th Battalion. Unfortunately he didn't make it back. Died of his wounds in 1917.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »
Respect.

Uncle Jim who was wounded in Italy in 1944. Uncle Maurice who was wounded in Belgium in 1944. Uncle Herbert who died in Eritrea in the Battle of Asmara in January 1941. My dad who fought in the RAF 1939-1945.

And millions of others.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:24:18 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2022, 10:52:01 am »
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jimsharman_they-shall-not-old-as-we-that-are-left-activity-6996784491008540672-fL0E?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

- Laurence Binyon,
September, 1914.

Whatever your thoughts are on warfare, whether you are a pacifist or an activist, today is about remembrance......of all who have fallen in conflict.

All life is precious......and I look forward to the point in humanity where we have ceased to murder each other for selfish gain and there is no longer any need to kill in order to defend ourselves from such selfish ambitions by aggressors.

Peace to you all today, at the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month......

......and for every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year to come.

🤍 💙 🙏 💛 🤍

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2022, 10:57:10 am »
I posted on my old blog (now deleted) a year ago. Feels also appropriate here.

November 11th 2021 (Thursday)

"When you make peace with yourself, you make peace with the world."
- Maha Ghosananda

Today is known as ‘Armistice Day’, when a ceasefire of hostilities was declared in Europe in 1918, eventually leading to the end of the First World War. These articles though are about positivity and motivation, so let’s not talk about war today, but instead about peace.

It’s generally recognised that conflict is often a result of fear - whereas peace comes about when love is remembered and embraced by all sides involved in said conflict. That sense of peace doesn’t always come about automatically though; it often requires a concerted and deliberate act of self-examination, self-recognition and absolute honesty with each other.

However, when we are in conflict with ourselves, the only way we can bring about the peace we seek is from within ourselves; not always an easy thing to do. It takes courage to cease conflict (we’ve spoken before about how courage comes from the heart - literally!) and, if it takes an act of love to bring about peace, that first act must be with oneself.

One way to make peace with yourself is to stop carrying around baggage called ‘guilt’ or ‘shame’. The heavy burden of this places too much strain on both your body and your soul. You may well have made mistakes in life but the important thing is to demonstrate that you have learnt from them. Success there represents the most powerful form of personal growth.

Seeking forgiveness for your mistakes doesn’t just involve the people you affected, it includes yourself. When you do that, when you show sincere contrition, you are more likely to be forgiven. Thus you make peace not only with yourself but also with the world.

What peace eludes you at the moment? Where can you apply this act of compassion and love that will ultimately bring you that peace? Do you need to start with yourself first?

Addendum:
Interestingly, given this is being written in Estonia, it just occurred to me that the word “Armistice”, deriving from the Latin “armistitium”, or “the stopping of arms”, is remarkably close to the Estonian word “armastus”, which means......“love”. ❤️.

No coincidences, right?!

Love and light,
🙏

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2022, 10:59:53 am »
♥️

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2022, 11:01:48 am »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2022, 11:26:18 am »

RIP
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2022, 06:02:38 pm »
Respect.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2022, 09:42:12 pm »
Really poignant day for all those who fought and died for freedom.  I really hope we have an impeccable silence at Anfield tomorrow.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Cali

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2022, 12:41:30 am »
Really poignant day for all those who fought and died for freedom.  I really hope we have an impeccable silence at Anfield tomorrow.

Ofc there will be why wouldn’t there