Author Topic: Hurricane Florence and 2018 Hurricane Season  (Read 12298 times)

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Hurricane Florence and 2018 Hurricane Season
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2018, 10:46:09 pm »
Hmm I wonder if hes putting it on a little to make it look a lot more dramatic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XFh-X1bv4P0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XFh-X1bv4P0</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2018, 11:31:02 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XFh-X1bv4P0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XFh-X1bv4P0</a>

:lmao

That channel is such a joke.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2018, 11:51:11 pm »
I wonder if it is cumulative fear that they don’t want to leave their stuff, and when they hear that others are staying it reinforces their fear? Or is it just stubborness and anti-expert sentiment?

I think it’s a variety of things. Money is one. If you don’t have a car or gas money or hotel or restaurant money then evacuation is not a big option. Illness is another. The thought process that you can get rescued is another. Stick it out, if we have to call 911 then someone will get us. There are several people around me who are staying with relatives after driving out of NC. My friend in New Bern stayed. He lost power 9 hours ago but has a generator for the TV and fridge. He is nowhere near the coast but feels safe so far. I think everyone has their own reasons. Stubbornness and stupidity being part of it. Or just faith that the storm is being hyped.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2018, 02:21:54 am »

The clue is the two blokes casually strolling in the background.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2018, 02:36:59 am »
:lmao :lmao what a moron

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2018, 01:35:18 pm »

That is hilarious

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2018, 02:06:56 pm »

wouldnt be stunned if that’s a green screen in a studio

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2018, 02:20:22 pm »
The best one ever was when the reporters were in a boat talking about the flooding and three people walked past them.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2018, 02:00:41 am »
The people sticking it out baffle me. I mean seriously what is the point of staying there in the full force of the hurricane.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/14/myrtle-beach-poorest-evacuating-costly-hurricane-florence

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2018, 06:19:49 am »
My heartfelt sympathies go out to the many people affected by this storm, but the news coverage of it has been absolutely nauseating. You'd think that the storm of the millenium had just passed and North Carolina was wiped off the map.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2018, 01:16:55 pm »
Stronger winds today and a bit more rain but that’s about it here.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2018, 05:29:24 pm »
I think it’s a variety of things. Money is one. If you don’t have a car or gas money or hotel or restaurant money then evacuation is not a big option. Illness is another. The thought process that you can get rescued is another. Stick it out, if we have to call 911 then someone will get us. There are several people around me who are staying with relatives after driving out of NC. My friend in New Bern stayed. He lost power 9 hours ago but has a generator for the TV and fridge. He is nowhere near the coast but feels safe so far. I think everyone has their own reasons. Stubbornness and stupidity being part of it. Or just faith that the storm is being hyped.

That’s true, the storm deflated from Category 5 to a Tropical Storm awful fast. I’m surprised that the modelling didn’t predict how quick that can happen.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2018, 02:30:23 am »
That’s true, the storm deflated from Category 5 to a Tropical Storm awful fast. I’m surprised that the modelling didn’t predict how quick that can happen.
to be fair I think it did

it was known days ago this would be a water problem and not a wind problem before it even got to the coast

it has been totally over hyped and there will be some real flood issues but basically within 7 days time I think most will be somewhat back to normal as a functioning state

my kids school was cancelled on Friday on the fear there may be wind on friday afternoon. they have cancelled tomorrow also for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend. We have rain at the moment. Rain, not even heavy rain. Insane decision.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2018, 12:34:24 pm »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »
to be fair I think it did

it was known days ago this would be a water problem and not a wind problem before it even got to the coast

it has been totally over hyped and there will be some real flood issues but basically within 7 days time I think most will be somewhat back to normal as a functioning state

my kids school was cancelled on Friday on the fear there may be wind on friday afternoon. they have cancelled tomorrow also for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend. We have rain at the moment. Rain, not even heavy rain. Insane decision.

I’m sure the kids don’t mind. :)

I made the mistake of finding CNN online to hear about Manafort...the theatrics and drama they add to a hurricane is insane. It’s like 24 hour 2-minute-warning style coverage. I guess that is what I was referring to rathar than the actual researched models that scientists produce...I should know better. :)
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2018, 02:06:41 pm »

You have no idea, mate.

My brother lived in Staten Island during Sandy.

Every flooded house must be have flood damaged sheetrock replaced to prevent mold.

Basements become uninhabitable and begin to emit toxic imperceptible fumes.  Uncertainty of prospects and cost of replacement creates anxiety and abandonment.

My brother and his wife (both 62) were dead two years later.  He of a stress heart attack and her of two strokes after his death.

There must be a million damaged homes and loads of abandoned businesses.

It will take years to recover and the psychological and economic damage will be immense.

Construction will boom though and Trump will claim he's created new jobs.
Kill the humourless

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2018, 11:56:50 pm »
Bad storm predicted here in the SW UK tonight, between 2-3am coming in from the Atlantic.
Barometer is dropping at the moment, from 990 to 982 in the last 30 minutes and it's incredibly warm outside for almost midnight compared to the last few weeks, around 18C. All somewhat ominous.
Despite a stunning clear sky at sunset earlier, a light rain has just started to fall but all is currently quiet on the wind front.
Hoping any severe winds might miss us as the trees down here are still loaded with leaves.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2018, 12:50:13 pm »
Windy as fuck in Belfast. Stay safe people. Plenty of travel disruption with fallen trees etc.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2018, 12:05:55 pm »
Associated Press
Florence death toll increases; 1,500 still in NC shelters
17 hrs ago

RALEIGH, N.C. — The death toll from Hurricane Florence has increased again, nearly two weeks after the eye of the storm reached the Carolinas.

North Carolina Emergency Operations Center spokeswoman Sonja Bennett-Bellamy said Thursday that an 85-year-old man from New Hanover County died Tuesday. The man contracted an infection in a wound he received while cleaning up storm debris on his property. The death toll now stands at 48 deaths in three states, 37 of them in North Carolina.

Gov. Roy Cooper said Thursday that motorists still need to be on alert for high water even as rivers recede and more roads open.

Cooper says 1,500 people still remain in shelters. More than 550 people have enrolled in a program to stay in hotels while longer-term housing is arranged.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/florence-death-toll-increases-1500-still-in-nc-shelters/ar-BBNDfHQ?ocid=spartanntp

Flooding risk remains 2 weeks after Florence
Some families just now returning home
By FAITH KARIMI, CNN
Posted: 4:23 AM, September 28, 2018
Updated: 6:11 AM, September 28, 2018

(CNN) - North Carolina residents Nathan and Samantha Harvey walked by dead fish to get to their house after floodwaters receded in Wilmington.

The couple returned home Thursday for the first time since Hurricane Florence hit, and it was nothing like they remembered it. Dirty water splotched the once white walls like paint, with a brown line at 6 feet marking the height of the flooding. Pieces of hardwood floors and furniture lay scattered on the soggy, puffy carpet.

Just above the brown water line on the wall, their wedding photos sat untouched, a glimmer of hope in an otherwise dreary homecoming.

"It is so hard to see it this way, we have been researching how to clean it up," Nathan Harvey told CNN affiliate WECT. "We knew it would be a mess, but this is ... so discouraging."

Rivers are still overflowing

Wilmington residents are slowly coming home to a new reality after swollen rivers and flooding from Florence cut off the city of 118,000.

But two weeks after Florence slammed the Carolinas coastline, overflowing rivers are still a concern as they make their way to the ocean. South Carolina officials say Georgetown County, where Waccamaw and Pee Dee rivers join other rivers on their way to the Atlantic Ocean, is especially at risk. The Waccamaw River is expected to crest Friday morning, according to spokesman Ryan Dickinson of the Coast Guard.

"The major concern for this crest is that this is the highest point that the river will rise to before it starts to fall back to below the record," CNN meteorologist Robert Shackelford said Friday.

"With the peak of flooding, there is chances for low lying areas to become flooded. It can also continue to impact roads that are used to bring supplies to people. "

The cresting is a result of flooding waters from small creeks flowing into large rivers, a process that can take days.

Georgetown dodged the brunt of Florence's ferocious winds, but it sits at the mouths of the Waccamaw, Great Pee Dee and Sampit rivers, making it especially vulnerable to flooding.

The Waccamaw River had swollen to record levels upstream, and in some areas water was headed downstream at historic levels.

Coast Guard crews have dispatched shallow water response boats in case they need to evacuate people in Georgetown and Myrtle Beach.

"During Matthew it crested around 14 feet, and we are preparing for it to crest possibly higher than that," Dickinson said.

In North Carolina, Gov. Roy Cooper warned residents to be on alert for high water even as rivers recede and more roads open.

Coastal waters are loaded with pollutants

Overflowing rivers and flooding concerns are not the only problem. The murky waters of the Florence aftermath are loaded with bacteria, viruses and other pollutants.

Officials are warning residents to stay out of contaminated coastal waters to avoid infections such as earaches, hepatitis, skin rashes and respiratory issues, the North Carolina Coastal Federation said.

"The public continues to swim in the ocean and sounds despite these advisories," said Todd Miller, executive director of the federation. "We feel it's vital to let people know that the state has not yet tested any waters to determine if they are safe for human contact."

Cooper said flooding has increased the population of mosquitoes, which can bring illnesses such as encephalitis, West Nile virus and Eastern equine encephalitis. He's ordered $4 million to help fund mosquito control in affected counties.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/national/flooding-risk-remains-2-weeks-after-florence

Oh, and climate change is a hoax.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:13:31 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2018, 01:17:05 am »
Another one rolling into the Florida panhandle. Hurricane Michael is currently cat 3, but expected to intensify more and make landfall on Wednesday afternoon close to a cat 4. Looks like it's going to drench the clean-up efforts in NC on its way back out too. As well as bringing significant flooding risks from Florida up through to south Virginia as it dumps 6"+ worth of rainfall wherever it goes.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2018, 02:47:12 am »
I’ve vacationed in the Florida panhandle with my family for the last 20+ years. Very worried about this hurricane.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2018, 02:08:52 pm »
Is global warming an issue in the aflorida Senate and gubernatorial elections?

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »
Michael strengthened overnight and is now a Category 4 storm. It's looking very bleak for Panama City.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2018, 02:15:24 pm »
Looks like its going to be a bad one, hits land at around 6pm UK time

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2018, 03:24:58 pm »
Looks like its going to be a bad one, hits land at around 6pm UK time

Latest aircraft data suggest its nudging into a Cat5 and still intensifying.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2018, 03:33:21 pm »
Lad at work is flying to Orlando tomorrow morning (UK time). Whats the likelihood his plane being allowed to land?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2018, 03:33:32 pm »

Latest aircraft data suggest its nudging into a Cat5 and still intensifying.

They were saying in some places the storm surge maybe above rooftops thats mindblowing if that happens.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2018, 03:47:08 pm »
Lad at work is flying to Orlando tomorrow morning (UK time). Whats the likelihood his plane being allowed to land?

He'll be completely fine. System will be in the middle of Georgia/Carolinas by the time he lands.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2018, 03:50:51 pm »
They were saying in some places the storm surge maybe above rooftops thats mindblowing if that happens.

A lot of the Florida big bend area is some of the most surge-prone area in the entire country. The towns of Mexico Beach and Port St. Joe may cease to exist after this storm comes onshore.

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2018, 04:00:55 pm »
we're sat in Tampa Bay, not much here just a storm surge watch, but it looks bad for the Panhandle, watching the news and the storm is still getting stronger, hope everyone has evacuated!

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2018, 04:01:39 pm »
https://livestormchasing.com/map

Good resource to track and stream live storm chasers. Chase Brett Adair is in Mexico Beach right now looking for a good place to hunker down.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2018, 04:02:40 pm »
He'll be completely fine. System will be in the middle of Georgia/Carolinas by the time he lands.

Cheers.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »
Latest Hurricane Hunter pass has the pressure at 923 mb and winds at 150 MPH, so it's continued to strengthen as it's moved closer to shore. This is a monster.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2018, 05:14:32 pm »
Saying CNN that a lot of people stayed because they thought it was only going to be a Cat 2/3 but it suddenly picked up speed.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2018, 03:42:06 pm »
They are saying there are concerns about how many may have died at Mexico beach they are saying around 280 people stayed put, but so far only made contact with around 20 and lot of people who have gone back saying they can't find family and friends.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2018, 05:58:07 pm »
Mexico Beach is essentially no more. Horrifying drone footage of the destruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-MPQvM5bI

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2018, 06:07:52 pm »
Mexico Beach is essentially no more. Horrifying drone footage of the destruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-MPQvM5bI

Holy crap that's brutal.  At first you think there's a fair bit intact but after awhile you see a huge chunk has literally been smashed to matchwood. :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2018, 06:09:25 pm »
It is what happens when you live in a Hurricane zone yet continue to build using wood.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2018, 07:21:20 pm »
It is what happens when you live in a Hurricane zone yet continue to build using wood.

The building codes in Florida were much improved after Hurricane Andrew came through in ‘92. Unfortunately many of those beachside properties pre-date the tightened regulations. Many were ‘second homes’, more like beachside cottages that ended up as permanent homes & retirement properties.  If you go inland from Mexico Beach there are poor rural properties, many little better than shacks. We’ve yet to hear about how many of those people fared.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:43:24 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
Victorious and glorious....