Author Topic: May 2018 Local Elections (*)  (Read 23688 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: May 2018 Local Elections (*)
« Reply #120 on: May 5, 2018, 11:48:41 am »
I don’t think any side did particularly brilliantly out of these local elections, but labour must ask questions of themselves.

The leader visited Trafford, Dudley, Swindon, Watford, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster, Wandsworth, Plymouth, Derby, Kirklees, Barnet, Hillingdon, Lincolnshire, Lambeth and Thurrock.

Of those, only Plymouth and Kirklees were won.  This seems a very low hit rate.  Is the targeting working? Are voters being alienated in some way? Is it the case that Corbyn going on the streets doesn’t work of it doesn’t gain coverage on TV?

I can only speak for Trafford, but I didn't hear a thing about May visiting until after she had been. Labour worked really hard round by us, Jayne Dillon who was standing for the council was out and about, they put flyers through the door to give us notice and them her and a load of labour supporters, most of them young people, came around speaking to people and getting their views. Kate Green (our MP) also got involved and again we got flyers. The Tories sent one flyer out and a couple of the blue rinse brigade knocked, I never saw them.

The Tory mob round here are c*nts, they have earmarked the municipal golf course and the playing fields next door for 1500 houses, even though the road infrastructure cannot cope with what we have now, the schools are full, plus they want to demolish a leisure centre and replace it with a basketball place for Manchester Giants in a residential area that cannot cope with the traffic this will generate and involves building on a greenfield site. They spend all the money in Altrincham and Sale and ignore the likes of Stretford as that is where the most Tories live, they tried to get rid of the lollipop men and women, they underfund the schools, the roads are a disgrace, the planning dept make it up as they go along - they cost me a grand in architect fees when they rejected two planning applications we submiited that are legal but they decided they don't like and now the c*nts have changed again and are now allowing the exact extension we wanted and there is a lot of unhappiness with a contract they have with Amey.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: May 5, 2018, 01:45:07 pm »
Labour were only about 150 votes short of taking Wandsworth.

I think that is a very simplistic way of looking at the result.

Labour were 5 (4 if the independent votes with them) seats short of taking control of Wandsworth. Their closest candidate was

11 votes off in Earlsfield
63 votes off in Nightingale
36 votes off in Shaftesbury
20 votes off in St Marys Park

So yes if Labour won 130 extra votes in those particular wards for those particular candidates they would have taken Wandsworth (assuming the independent votes with them). But to simply state that Labour as a whole was 130 votes short of winning the ward is disingenuous - if any of those 130 votes had been cast in a different ward or even in the 'right' ward but for the 'wrong' Labour candidate they wouldn't count towards effecting the final outcome.

Interestingly, if you total all the votes for the highest scoring Labour/Conservative candidates in each ward in Wandsworth Labour came out on top - I've got 42649 vs 42054. So it kind of fits with the idea of it being a mixed set of results for them - they are clearly performing well and doing a good job of getting out their core vote but are falling short in the marginals that decide the final overall result. Which in turn fits with the concerns that many have had about Corbyn from the beginning.

« Last Edit: May 5, 2018, 02:07:21 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #122 on: May 5, 2018, 02:18:12 pm »
I can only speak for Trafford, but I didn't hear a thing about May visiting until after she had been. Labour worked really hard round by us, Jayne Dillon who was standing for the council was out and about, they put flyers through the door to give us notice and them her and a load of labour supporters, most of them young people, came around speaking to people and getting their views. Kate Green (our MP) also got involved and again we got flyers. The Tories sent one flyer out and a couple of the blue rinse brigade knocked, I never saw them.

The Tory mob round here are c*nts, they have earmarked the municipal golf course and the playing fields next door for 1500 houses, even though the road infrastructure cannot cope with what we have now, the schools are full, plus they want to demolish a leisure centre and replace it with a basketball place for Manchester Giants in a residential area that cannot cope with the traffic this will generate and involves building on a greenfield site. They spend all the money in Altrincham and Sale and ignore the likes of Stretford as that is where the most Tories live, they tried to get rid of the lollipop men and women, they underfund the schools, the roads are a disgrace, the planning dept make it up as they go along - they cost me a grand in architect fees when they rejected two planning applications we submiited that are legal but they decided they don't like and now the c*nts have changed again and are now allowing the exact extension we wanted and there is a lot of unhappiness with a contract they have with Amey.
None of this is any surprise.  Yet they still won.

What went wrong?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 5, 2018, 02:28:55 pm »

What went wrong?

The Tories? They didn't. Labour are now the biggest party in Trafford with a 9 seat swing from Tory to Labour, though they don't have a majority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2n5vw1n224t/trafford-metropolitan-borough-council

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #124 on: May 5, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Amazing the way the Mail and Telegraph are trumpeting that the votes cast in local elections are in support of Leave means Leave.

What twisted logic produces that result?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 5, 2018, 03:00:55 pm »

What went wrong?
owen and his mates turned up ;)

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 5, 2018, 03:30:43 pm »
I'm not fan of the current Labour leadership but can't help thinking some of the results reaction has been disingenuous. This Mark Steel tweet sums it up;

I expect the newspapers say "Great night for Manchester United, as Brighton fail to beat them 2-0 as they'd hoped. Questions must be asked of Brighton's leadership after only winning 1-0, with Mourinho delighted at only losing a bit to a team dismissed as hopeless a year ago.."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #127 on: May 5, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »
Amazing the way the Mail and Telegraph are trumpeting that the votes cast in local elections are in support of Leave means Leave.

What twisted logic produces that result?

I'm sorry. You are expecting logic or sense from the Telegraph or Fail?

Wow. Really? Wow.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #128 on: May 5, 2018, 04:57:44 pm »
The media saying antisemitism hit the Labour vote in Barnet it went up by nearly 3%.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 5, 2018, 04:58:21 pm »
The media saying antisemitism hit the Labour vote in Barnet it went up by nearly 3%.
The Jewish vote collapsed though.

Which I’m sure you’ll agree is most concerning.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 5, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »
I'm sorry. You are expecting logic or sense from the Telegraph or Fail?

Wow. Really? Wow.

I was exploring what type of twisted intellect can come up with that conclusion from a bunch of unrelated facts.

I didn't say that they were either sensible or logical.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #131 on: May 5, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »

FPTP. They lost votes in the areas needed to take it from the Tories whilst racking them up in safe seats.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #132 on: May 5, 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
They are saying 4000 people were turned away from voting where the Tories tested their voting suppression ideal of ID cards.

Two of the councils were ones Labour had a chance of winning like Swindon.

So the Tories will see that as a job well done and try to bring it in for the next election.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #133 on: May 5, 2018, 07:17:44 pm »
I'm not fan of the current Labour leadership but can't help thinking some of the results reaction has been disingenuous. This Mark Steel tweet sums it up;

I expect the newspapers say "Great night for Manchester United, as Brighton fail to beat them 2-0 as they'd hoped. Questions must be asked of Brighton's leadership after only winning 1-0, with Mourinho delighted at only losing a bit to a team dismissed as hopeless a year ago.."

Maybe. But 8 years into a Tory government, fighting on local issues where central government has slashed funding at a local level for provision for even the most rudimentary safety nets, and still being neck and neck with the Tories isn't so good. Best results in 40 years in London is good, just a shame about the rest of the country. There's deeper shifts in voting patterns going on there and I'm not sure Labour is meeting the challenge that's been presented. Can we use Trafford as representative of that? 'Leafy' metropolitan area switching from Tory to Labour and Green? Whereas the Tories reabsorbed the bulk of the Kipper vote in less affluent areas away from the bigger cities. It's kind of weird to see some talk about 'but Corbyn would be PM on this vote share' and stuff like that when it would rely on a Lab/Lib Dem/SNP/PC anti-Tory coalition to keep him as one. Seems a long way from Labour viewing success as having a working majority in Parliament.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 5, 2018, 07:32:26 pm »
They are saying 4000 people were turned away from voting where the Tories tested their voting suppression ideal of ID cards.

So the Tories will see that as a job well done and try to bring it in for the next election.

Who are THEY ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 5, 2018, 08:29:08 pm »
Who are THEY ?
and how do they collect their mail from the post office!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 5, 2018, 08:40:54 pm »

Who are they and where are they saying it?

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #137 on: May 5, 2018, 09:06:11 pm »
Who are they and where are they saying it?

https://inews.co.uk/news/voters-ballot-local-elections-chaotic-id-scheme/

I've also seen it reported in the Guardian's live blog yesterday. Don't think anyone's said it benefitted the Tories, just that it's been a mess.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 5, 2018, 09:31:03 pm »

I've also seen it reported in the Guardian's live blog yesterday. Don't think anyone's said it benefitted the Tories, just that it's been a mess.
But what does Twitter have to report about the ID scheme affecting one party more that another?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 5, 2018, 09:47:02 pm »
Maybe. But 8 years into a Tory government, fighting on local issues where central government has slashed funding at a local level for provision for even the most rudimentary safety nets, and still being neck and neck with the Tories isn't so good. Best results in 40 years in London is good, just a shame about the rest of the country. There's deeper shifts in voting patterns going on there and I'm not sure Labour is meeting the challenge that's been presented. Can we use Trafford as representative of that? 'Leafy' metropolitan area switching from Tory to Labour and Green? Whereas the Tories reabsorbed the bulk of the Kipper vote in less affluent areas away from the bigger cities. It's kind of weird to see some talk about 'but Corbyn would be PM on this vote share' and stuff like that when it would rely on a Lab/Lib Dem/SNP/PC anti-Tory coalition to keep him as one. Seems a long way from Labour viewing success as having a working majority in Parliament.
It's still 52% of councillors though. It's still more than all of the other parties put together. It's miles more than the next party. I've been saying that the locals don't really mean that much, and they don't, but there is nothing here for the normal RAWK attack on Corbyn. Nothing.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 5, 2018, 09:49:25 pm »
It's still 52% of councillors though. It's still more than all of the other parties put together. It's miles more than the next party. I've been saying that the locals don't really mean that much, and they don't, but there is nothing here for the normal RAWK attack on Corbyn. Nothing.

50:50 with you on this one.  I agree they don’t always mean that much... but they do give some indication...

There is an indication (moderately good evidence)that Corbynitus has peaked....

But of course, what goes down can go back up again... (unless you’re Pele of course)
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #141 on: May 5, 2018, 10:00:34 pm »

"Labour are neck and neck with the Tories..."
"The normal RAWK attack on Corbyn"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 5, 2018, 10:03:32 pm »
But what does Twitter have to report about the ID scheme affecting one party more that another?

Everyone on twitter is moaning that this only impacts on Labour (arguably it disproportionately would to be fair...).

Having worked in, and run, polling stations for a long time now - I'm not against the idea of ID. At the moment people confirm things based on confirmation, with or without the card - knowing someone's name & address is plenty. Bearing in mind I believe bank cards were a valid form of ID it shouldn't actually be a big issue.

That said - in a busy polling station, it becomes almost impossible to actually check them - especially in a queue so it's arguably unworkable. Definitely not worth the levels of hysteria going on though.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 5, 2018, 10:06:49 pm »
"Labour are neck and neck with the Tories..."
"The normal RAWK attack on Corbyn"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I saw a notification from you where the reply didn't exist so can only assume it was deleted before I saw it. I'd have rather seen it myself but such is the way of RAWK. Feel free to call me a blert or some other suitable insult appropriate to your region out loud.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 5, 2018, 10:08:58 pm »
I saw a notification from you where the reply didn't exist so can only assume it was deleted before I saw it. I'd have rather seen it myself but such is the way of RAWK. Feel free to call me a blert or some other suitable insult appropriate to your region out loud.

I saw the original reply before it was deleted. You weren't called a blert or insulted in any way. It was just worded slightly different to the reply above.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 5, 2018, 10:12:11 pm »
I saw the original reply before it was deleted. You weren't called a blert or insulted in any way. It was just worded slightly different to the reply above.
Nice one elmo.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 5, 2018, 10:16:04 pm »
Just had another missing Zeb alert. Hope he's deleting them himself. I'd rather be called a blert than face censorship.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #147 on: May 5, 2018, 11:33:08 pm »

It's an interesting claim so I've done a bit of digging.

There seems to have been a number of slightly alarmist articles running with this but they seem to be using the headline info from Democracy Volunteers.

https://democracyvolunteersdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/voter-id-pilot-areas-special-report-2018.pdf

The bit at the end of that PDF that is probably the most telling as to how to treat these claims for now until more accurate figures are available (if ever).

Of the 1.67% of voters who were excluded we cannot assert the number that later returned, if at all

There's also an interesting bit before that..

Both  the  Electoral  Commission  and  the  Association  of Electoral    Administrators    believed    that    the    local information campaigns, supported and augmented by the press team at the Cabinet Office, had been of sufficiently high   profile   to   ensure   that   local   voters   were   fully conscious  of  the  necessity  to  have  the  relevant  ID,  or information, to ensure that they did not have issues whilst attempting to vote.
This  was  clearly  made  obvious  on  polling  cards  in Swindon   and   Watford   as   well   as   through   public information  programmes,  in  the  local  press  and  at  high footfall  areas  across  the  other  three  pilot  areas.  We  also believe that local political parties, presumably in attempt to maximise their capacity for turnout, and to help voters through their own literature, also advertised the necessity to take the relevant ID for the council areas concerned.
We  were,  therefore,  satisfied  that  the  pilots  were  due  to take  place  in  areas  that  had  received sufficient  information  to  ensure  that  any  of  our observations  were  in  a  context  which  would  reasonably  assess  the  viability  of  the  various options that were being piloted.

It does beg the question as to why some decided to try to vote without the ID requirements when it was so clearly signposted as a requirement in the pilot areas.

Perhaps there was an element of bloodymindedness in some simply in order to make a point.

There's a bit more here.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #148 on: May 6, 2018, 12:26:42 am »

It's a pretty meaningless stat though as the 2018 slate of council elections was heavily skewed towards the metropolitan areas where Labour does well, barring a complete disaster Labour were always going to win more seats than the Tories this time out.

These were pretty unexciting results for all the parties.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #149 on: May 6, 2018, 01:01:15 am »

It has been somewhat disingenuous, you’re right. There have been some shocking incidents involving racist Tories as well, but it doesn’t really get mentioned. And as usual, the fact the right wing media are skewing it against Labour (as they always have done done and always will) means the Labour faithful avoid any serious self-examination. Cos the Mail and the Express and Murdoch and blah blah blah.

Fact is, these results are nowhere near as good as they should be. Any competent opposition would have made mincemeat of the Tories off the back of the Windrush scandal alone. Throw in the lack of unity, the absolutely shambolic nature of the Brexit talks and Grenfell and you have the most horrible, yawning open goal you’ll ever see. Yet people are still clearly not considering Labour.

I mean, the flipside of that is that people in cities are not considering the Tories, either. And the result is deadlock. When more and more people in the cities cotton onto Corbyn’s Brexit position though...
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 6, 2018, 04:16:26 am »
Everyone on twitter is moaning that this only impacts on Labour (arguably it disproportionately would to be fair...).

Having worked in, and run, polling stations for a long time now - I'm not against the idea of ID. At the moment people confirm things based on confirmation, with or without the card - knowing someone's name & address is plenty. Bearing in mind I believe bank cards were a valid form of ID it shouldn't actually be a big issue.

That said - in a busy polling station, it becomes almost impossible to actually check them - especially in a queue so it's arguably unworkable. Definitely not worth the levels of hysteria going on though.
Well. Thanks for the reply, but my comment was really aimed at the poster who first reported about the problem of people being turned away from those polling stations. He has a habit of 1) not sourcing the origin of his 'alerts'; and 2) when someone else from here does manage to locate the origin of the 'information', it is almost invariably some random idiot from Twitter.

On the more general point: yes, nearly any ID would/should do for this. It is such a non-problem, all these 'solutions' only serve to disenfranchise (groups of) people.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2018, 04:18:04 am by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 6, 2018, 09:19:28 am »

It has been somewhat disingenuous, you’re right. There have been some shocking incidents involving racist Tories as well, but it doesn’t really get mentioned. And as usual, the fact the right wing media are skewing it against Labour (as they always have done done and always will) means the Labour faithful avoid any serious self-examination. Cos the Mail and the Express and Murdoch and blah blah blah.

Fact is, these results are nowhere near as good as they should be. Any competent opposition would have made mincemeat of the Tories off the back of the Windrush scandal alone. Throw in the lack of unity, the absolutely shambolic nature of the Brexit talks and Grenfell and you have the most horrible, yawning open goal you’ll ever see. Yet people are still clearly not considering Labour.

I mean, the flipside of that is that people in cities are not considering the Tories, either. And the result is deadlock. When more and more people in the cities cotton onto Corbyn’s Brexit position though...

I largely agree with both of you. It's the tone of the coverage that's irritated me, and not just from the tabloids but the BBC as well. Labour guests are getting grilled and demanded to justify every seat not won, whereas Conservatives are getting a free pass as the result was not as terrible as it could have been. It's an issue of expectation management but a lot of journalists should really know better and communicate the results with less skew.

Having said that, I personally can't see myself voting for a combo or Corbyn PM, McDonnell Chancellor and Abbot Home Secretary in a general election. I know there are many other left-wing voters like me who are similarly put off. Of course, that potential wasn't put to the test in local elections. Something has to change if Labour can hope to win a majority in a general election.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #152 on: May 6, 2018, 06:27:47 pm »
Twitter has no standing in this topic. Random tweets are not allowed. The actions of complete and utter arseholes of whatever political persuasion is regrettable, but it has no place in this topic.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 6, 2018, 10:31:39 pm »
This is what my local Labour Party have posted on social media:

"The final results of the 2018 Local Elections are in. And the results show an utter shambles....
But not for The Labour Party.
Strong, grassroots led campaigns up and down the country have resulted in a great amount of new councillors for Labour.
The Tories are in disarray.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 6, 2018, 10:36:12 pm »
This is what my local Labour Party have posted on social media:

"The final results of the 2018 Local Elections are in. And the results show an utter shambles....
But not for The Labour Party.
Strong, grassroots led campaigns up and down the country have resulted in a great amount of new councillors for Labour.
The Tories are in disarray.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

That sounds like it was a resounding victory but, in reality, more like a score draw.

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #155 on: May 6, 2018, 10:55:47 pm »

That sounds like it was a resounding victory but, in reality, more like a score draw.

Looks more like a resounding victory than a score draw to me:

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 6, 2018, 11:03:04 pm »
Looks more like a resounding victory than a score draw to me:

But does that pie chart show the increase in councillors, in which case it's a resounding Labour victory, or does it simply show Labour's share of the vote, without taking into account the starting position?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 6, 2018, 11:07:17 pm »
But does that pie chart show the increase in councillors, in which case it's a resounding Labour victory, or does it simply show Labour's share of the vote, without taking into account the starting position?
It shows the number of actual seats after voting.

This is the actual gains or losses

« Last Edit: May 6, 2018, 11:09:56 pm by cloggypop »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #158 on: May 7, 2018, 07:35:02 am »
Ok, so let's look at this in a bit of context.

Here's the seat gains relative to where in the country. Note Labour doing very well in making gains in London. Not so much elsewhere in country.

Sauce

In terms of seats gained, and ignoring the context of which seats are being contested, this is a better performance than losing 18 (Corbyn in 2016) but about as good as Kinnock gaining 76 in 1988. [edit: was looking at earlier results, changed from 'not as good' to 'as good']. Of course, we're a long way short of Blair's 1800 odd in 1995. But so it goes. This is a bad metric to use for lots of reasons. But if anyone is really keen, fill your boots with 95.

Now it could be that Labour have so many councillors that they couldn't win more than 70 odd. That would, however, be a curious read of where things are generally at.

And would also need to ignore that the Tories made gains outside of London.

Against that, it's not actually a terrible result - if you look at it as a projected share of the vote (to smooth away the local election cycle where Labour are defending roughly 52% of the seats contested), then it's about par for a Labour government which has just won an election.

Of course, Labour didn't win the last election so make of that what you will.

What we have is a hugely unpopular government which after 8 years, a whole list of scandals and paraded nastiness, is on its way out with 35% of the vote. And opposing them is a wildly popular mass movement which is absolutely on course for winning the next general election by being the largest party. Coincidentally also on 35% of the vote.

« Last Edit: May 7, 2018, 07:59:34 am by Zeb »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #159 on: May 7, 2018, 08:39:12 am »
Labour gained seats, Tories lost seats, despite all the racist c*nts, I mean UKIPers, fleeing their ship like the rats they are.

How can that be painted as anything other than a positive?

Oh that's right, to continue the narrative that Labour is in disarray and the Tories are the safe steady party to steer us through bullshit Brexit.

I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.