Author Topic: 9 dead, 16 injured as van mounts pavement in Toronto.  (Read 2634 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
9 dead, 16 injured as van mounts pavement in Toronto.
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:20:33 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43873804

Nine people have been killed and 16 injured after a man drove a van into pedestrians in Toronto, police said.

The driver fled the scene of the incident, at a busy intersection in the north of the Canadian city, but was arrested several blocks away.

The arrest followed a tense standoff with officers on the street.

Bystander videos appeared to show the driver pointing an object at the officers, who can be heard shouting at him to get down.

The man was then detained without any shots being fired.

Toronto Deputy Chief Peter Yuen said police were investigating the driver and asked for witnesses to come forward. It was not immediately clear if it was a deliberate attack.

Reza Hashemi, who owns a video shop on Yonge Street, told the BBC he heard screaming on the other side of the road.

He said the driver appeared to mount the pavement, run into people, and return to mount the pavement again.

The incident occurred at Yonge Street and Finch Avenue at 13:30 local time (17:30 GMT) on Monday. The crime scene encompassed a 2km (1.24 mile) stretch of Yonge Street.

About 18 miles (30km) away, downtown, the Group of Seven foreign ministers of industrialised nations - including Canada, the US, Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Japan - were holding meetings.

Pictures apparently taken at the scene showed police armed with rifles and paramedics treating injured people. One orange bag, which appeared to contain a body, was loaded on to an ambulance.

"Reports were that a white van mounted the kerb, drove down the sidewalk at southbound Yonge, south of Finch, and struck eight to 10 people possibly, the numbers aren't confirmed yet," Toronto police spokesperson Gary Long told Canadian broadcaster Global News.

Toronto police spokeswoman Jenifferjit Sidhu told CBC News that the vehicle was stopped by police. No description was given of the driver, including name, age or gender.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted from Ottawa: "Our thoughts are with all those affected by the terrible incident at Yonge and Finch in Toronto."

"Thank you to the first responders working at the scene - we're monitoring the situation closely."

Speaking in broken English, one witness told local media: "I saw there's a white truck just go to the sidewalk and so many people just are shouting, 'stop the car!' But he just keep moving and he hit some people and three people lie down there and they didn't move at all."

One witness told City News that the driver, who he identified as a man, was driving on the kerb "hitting anything that comes in the way".

"People, fire hydrants, there's mail boxes being run over," said the unnamed man, who said he was driving behind the van during the incident.

As the van continued, the man said he honked his horn to try to warn pedestrians. "I witnessed at least six, seven people being hit and flying in the air, like killed, on the street," he said.

Toronto Mayor John Tory called it "a very tragic incident". He said he had "offered any and all assistance that the city can provide to the police to help this investigation".

The United States and Europe have seen an increase in driving attacks in recent years. In October 2017, a man in New York drove a van down a bicycle path, killing eight people.

Sickening.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 9 dead, 16 injured as van mounts pavement in Toronto.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:17 pm »
Jesus just seeing this now  :no What the actual fcuk is wrong with people ffs.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »
Utterly sickening. RIP to the deceased. Hopefully the injured can recover.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:31:55 pm »
Oh dear goodness, those poor innocent people.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:33:37 pm »
Other details courtesy of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/23/toronto-van-crash-incident-latest-updates-canada
Toronto van incident: nine dead and 16 injured after van ploughs into crowd

• Driver arrested by Toronto police after fleeing scene
  • Vehicle driven into crowd of pedestrians in city’s northern suburbs

Nine people have been killed and at least 16 injured – several of them seriously – after a van jumped the kerb in a northern suburb of Toronto and ran into a crowd of pedestrians, according to police.

A spokesperson for Toronto police said the white van left the road near Yonge Street and Finch Avenue West and continued down the sidewalk, striking various pedestrians. The driver fled the scene but was later arrested by police.

Christian Ali, who drove down Yonge Street shortly afterwards, said he saw three people lying in the street. “There was a lot of blood flowing,” he told the Guardian. “Everyone was in sheer shock.”

Four other people were near a bus surrounded by passersby, some of whom were performing CPR.

It was not immediately clear whether the incident was a deliberate act by the driver.

At a press conference, Canada’s public safety minster Ralph Goodale offered no more details, but confirmed that the investigation was still being led by Toronto police. In Canada, any national security-related cases are handled by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the country’s federal police force.

Goodale said: “The investigation is at a stage where no further information can be confirmed at this point. The police are conducting obviously their thorough investigation to determine what happened and why it happened, the motivations involved.”

Later, Peter Yuen, the acting Toronto deputy police chief, told reporters: “This is going to be a complex investigation.”

The van was stopped about 2km south of the first collision.

Bystander video captured the tense standoff between police officers and the suspect, who is seeing pointing a dark object. In the footage, police can be heard telling the man to get down on the ground.

“Kill me,” he tells officers. “I have a gun in my pocket.”

The officers warn him if he doesn’t not get on the ground, they will shoot. “Shoot me in the head,” he tells them.

The officers arrested the suspect without firing any shots.

In a statement, Sunnybrook hospital said seven victims had been taken to its trauma centre. It also said its emergency department was in lockdown as a precaution.

Justin Trudeau, Canada’s prime minister, expressed his condolences to the victims. “Our hearts go out to everyone affected. We’re going to have more to say in the coming hours,” he said. “We’re still gathering information, and as soon as we can we’ll share more information with Canadians.”

Police cordoned off several city blocks, and services were suspended at two nearby subway stations.

The incident took place about 18 miles from the city centre, where foreign ministers from the G7 countries were meeting to discuss international issues before the G7 summit near Quebec City in June.

Toronto’s mayor John Tory called for calm and asked businesses in the vicinity to close to help the police with their investigation.

He said the city of Toronto was “united” with those affected by the incident. He said: “This is a time for the community to come together.”
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:33:41 pm »
One of my favourite cities Toronto, absolutely awesome place so sad to see something like this happen there

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:50:29 pm »
RIP to those who have died, fingers crossed for the injured.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:56:04 pm »
One of my favourite cities Toronto, absolutely awesome place so sad to see something like this happen there

Was there a few years back great city with great people, this is awful .
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:57:17 pm »
Was there a few years back great city with great people, this is awful and i know that spot we used to walk by it most days from the Gerrard Hotel.

one of the most tolerant and multicultural cities I can think of, can’t say I’ve been that side but gutted at this

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:14:13 pm »
Sad but not shocking news (and this only amplifies the sadness). Fingers crossed for all those fighting for their lives.

From that second report about video footage, it seems their police force deserve a great deal of credit for apprehending the suspect. People like this need to spend their life in jail, not getting out of it through the proxy suicide they're after because they're too cowardly to answer for their actions.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:52 pm »
I'm going to Toronto tomorrow to watch the CL match at Scallywags. The wife and I are a bit shell-shocked about going, but I told her we have to keep living our lives as normally as possible. These things can't make us afraid. It's horrible to contemplate what has happened.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline 5p1k3

• Kemlynite

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:35 am »
Happened a few blocks away from where my mom works. Just shocked and numb.
RIP and my heartfelt condolences to the friends and families of those who lost their lives.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 10:47:39 pm »
Here's an update to the incident.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435

The BBC also reporting a lot of the stuff that's in the CBC article, including this.

A van driver accused of killing 10 people in Toronto posted to Facebook minutes before the attack to praise killer Elliot Rodger and refer to the misogynistic "incel" Reddit group.

Mr Minassian's Facebook post, which the social network has confirmed as real, praised Elliott Rodger, a 22 year old from California who killed six people in a rampage through Isla Vista, California in 2014 before turning the gun on himself.

It read: "The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!"

The term "incel" refers to a now-banned group on the message site Reddit, used by Rodger, where young men discussed their lack of sexual activity and attractiveness to women - often blaming women for the problem.

"Chads and Stacys" refers to attractive men and women who are perceived as better than or unavailable to "incels", which is short for "involuntary celibate".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43883052

Hopefully one positive thing to come out of this will be that Reddit, which is a cesspit in general, is subjected to the same scrutiny as Facebook and Twitter have been.

Offline 5p1k3

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:02:03 am »
Lets hope so.

I just wish to say it's been infuriating to hear relatives and family friends try to think up any excuse under the sun for the suspect. I am of Armenian descent and I've been trying to say that no matter what he is still a terrorist. No amount of "mental illness" will take that away. But still they wish to bury their heads in the sand. He had to do it on the day Armenia made a successful coup against a potential dictator and the day before the Genocide commemoration.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:06 pm »
The Guardian has an article linking him to the 'InCel Movement' - a misogynistic and generally right-wing online community for sexless losers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/25/raw-hatred-why-incel-movement-targets-terrorises-women
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »
Got to be honest, before this tragic incident I had never heard of Incel or its beliefs.  :o

What is wrong with some people, ludicrous.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 06:26:52 am »
With all due respect, It's not "some people" and it's not "ludicrous."

This is solely a male problem, and it's terrifying in its normalcy. At least with conventional terrorism we can identity and coalesce against the "bad guy." But there is no sense of purpose following this incident. We all probably all know "incels" or "nice guys." As a woman, my defensive mechanism is no eye contact. But this only feeds their sense of personal grievance.

This asshole's entitlement has deprived the world of a young husband who was a chef, a 94 year old grandma who walked outside everyday in rain or snow, and a mom who leaves behind a 7 year old orphan, among many others.

Also this guy likely gave off lots of warning signals but we're so used to catering to male grievance, that he appeared normal. The news is going around interviewing his previous employers - but let them ask the women who had the misfortune of interacting with him, and it will likely be a different story.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 01:04:29 pm »
With all due respect, It's not "some people" and it's not "ludicrous."

This is solely a male problem, and it's terrifying in its normalcy. At least with conventional terrorism we can identity and coalesce against the "bad guy." But there is no sense of purpose following this incident. We all probably all know "incels" or "nice guys." As a woman, my defensive mechanism is no eye contact. But this only feeds their sense of personal grievance.

This asshole's entitlement has deprived the world of a young husband who was a chef, a 94 year old grandma who walked outside everyday in rain or snow, and a mom who leaves behind a 7 year old orphan, among many others.

Also this guy likely gave off lots of warning signals but we're so used to catering to male grievance, that he appeared normal. The news is going around interviewing his previous employers - but let them ask the women who had the misfortune of interacting with him, and it will likely be a different story.

Spot on.

He seemed "harmless" because you're a dude who sat next to his booth or next to his seat at a lecture.

We see this all over. In India as well, men thinking it's their right, the Pamplona case with 5 men raping a woman not getting a rape verdict.

It's the 21st century civic rights movement or women's suffrage movement. We know who the winner will be, it's just going to be long struggle with a bunch of setbacks.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!