Author Topic: Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang South Korea  (Read 45448 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang South Korea
« on: February 2, 2018, 01:27:37 pm »

It's Winter Olympics time again. Hooray!!

Opening ceremony is next Friday 9th Feb and the competition starts in earnest on Saturday 10th.  I know us Brits are generally pretty crap at Winter sports but I love watching how the Nordic, Central European countries and North Americans/Canadians show us how its done.

The highlight for me on the first Saturday is the Men's Normal Hill Ski Jump final. The Monster terrifying jump event is later in the week.

And then the Blue Ribbon Event - The Men's Downhill Alpine Skiing Medal run is on the Sunday 11th.

Loads of interesting events for us to get our teeth into though. Luge, Snow Boarding, Speed-Skating to name but a few.  I personally Can't wait.

I'm using the link below for the schedule and its quite easy to navigate and stuff.  Due to the +9hr time difference some of the day time events in Korea are going to mean very late nights/early mornings for most Europeans.

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game-time/results/OWG2018/en/general/competition-schedule.htm

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang South Korea
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2018, 01:30:54 pm »
I enjoy all the skiing and snowboarding events. Fair to say our best hope of a medal is in the speed skating though

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
I enjoy all the skiing and snowboarding events. Fair to say our best hope of a medal is in the speed skating though

Doesn't Scotland Great Britain usually have a good crack at the Curling Medals?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2018, 01:39:54 pm »
I love the Ski Jumping. Used to watch it a lot in the late 90's early 00's on Eurosport.  Also Bobsleigh because of Cool Runnings and the one where they go head first on a tray  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2018, 01:41:08 pm »
Oh Pete mate the monster jumps aren't in the Olympics. Look up Ski Flying they do on humongous hills. Where they jump in excess of 200m. World Record is like 254m.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »
Looking forward to seeing some of the ice hockey (mens) competition, very happy the NHL players are not in it this time.  8)

I like the winter olympics, much more than the summer ones.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2018, 01:43:08 pm »
Fair to say our best hope of a medal is in the speed skating though

We can get all indignant when 'our' girl gets inexplicably kicked out again for breathing on an opponent.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2018, 01:47:30 pm »
A lot of controversy in the run up as is usually the case

In terms of non-GB there is obviously the exclusion of Russia with 'clean' Russian athletes taking part under an independent flag. Though yesterday 28 Russian athletes were able to overturn their Olympic bans meaning they are legally allowed to compete (though the IOC have stated their ban still stands with regards to the winter Olympics coming up). Yesterdays ruling also moved Team GB's four-man bobsleigh team from the 2014 Olympics up to Bronze from 5th (2 Russian teams were QD'd and were unable to overturn their doping ban). Meaning 2014 was team GB's best every Winter Olympics.

In terms of team GB the main controversies surround funding and bullying. Team GB's womens Bobsleigh team were forced to crowdfund their training camp. Even though they had qualified for the Olympics and even though the 2 mens team were allocated full funding. After a quick media storm GB athletics agreed to help partially fund the womens team.

A lot of winter X games style events with British involvement so good chances at medals along with the events GB usually does well in (curling for example).
« Last Edit: February 2, 2018, 01:57:58 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2018, 01:58:08 pm »
Oh Pete mate the monster jumps aren't in the Olympics. Look up Ski Flying they do on humongous hills. Where they jump in excess of 200m. World Record is like 254m.

Holy Shit yes!!  Here is the Ski Flying record by Stefan Kraft 253M FFS!!!

This will be his first Winter Olympics and sure he'll be competing in both events this year. 

How long before Ski Flying is included in the Olympics I wonder?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0yFl_RoB8zg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0yFl_RoB8zg</a>

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
Haha yeah was close to being bang on the money.  ;D I remember seeing the highlights of that on youtube.

Ski Flying you need humongous areas though. Very few places in the worlds can accommodate that along with the infrastructure.  It's why it's restricted to Norway, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic and Germany.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2018, 02:02:28 pm »
Cant have a Winter Olympics thread without this classic

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fAADWfJO2qM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fAADWfJO2qM</a>

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #11 on: February 2, 2018, 02:04:58 pm »
Ski Flying you need humongous areas though.

;D

When I first read that, I thought you were using 'areas' as a new euphemism for gentleman-spuds.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2018, 02:07:21 pm »
Cant have a Winter Olympics thread without this classic

Who will be first to post a vid of Torville and Dean doing Bolero accompanied by a load of crying emojis.

My money is on Crosby Nick or Ziltoid.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »
;D

When I first read that, I thought you were using 'areas' as a new euphemism for gentleman-spuds.

;D

That too mate. I'd be shitting my trousers at the top of the ramp.  I mean jumping over 200m! Fuck Me! As a kid it fascinated me this sport, still does when I can watch it on occasions now.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
;D

That too mate. I'd be shitting my trousers at the top of the ramp.  I mean jumping over 200m! Fuck Me! As a kid it fascinated me this sport, still does when I can watch it on occasions now.

Yeah fascinated me as a kid too.  Grew up laughing at Eddie Edwards but now I've just got total respect for him.

Must have taken humongous areas for him to go and do that and hopefully made himself a millionaire to boot. Fair do's Eddie lad.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 2, 2018, 02:15:48 pm »
Who will be first to post a vid of Torville and Dean doing Bolero accompanied by a load of crying emojis.

My money is on Crosby Nick or Ziltoid.

Ah yes the couple dancing sport. I wonder how many of those pairings end up in a real relationship? Never mind I bet 99.9% at least get to fuck each other once. ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2018, 02:35:12 pm »
Partridge shrug gif.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 2, 2018, 02:36:04 pm »
Ah yes the couple dancing sport. I wonder how many of those pairings end up in a real relationship? Never mind I bet 99.9% at least get to fuck each other once. ;D

Are you referring to Torville & Dean or Nick & Zilt? :)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2018, 02:39:07 pm »
Are you referring to Torville & Dean or Nick & Zilt? :)

:D what can I tell you? Ziltoid is a sensational lover.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 2, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »
Nick and Zilth are Rawk's Golden couple.  ;D

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 2, 2018, 02:44:49 pm »
Yeah love the snowboarding. Watched the half pipe final at this years X-games the other night always good fun. Shaun White dropped out as well to focus on this so should be good.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #21 on: February 2, 2018, 02:58:36 pm »

The 0.1% being Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy McElroy?

Partridge shrug gif.

Like you won't be posting about the luge and whatever event where two guys race each other down the very bumpy track (moguls?) that looks like it'll cause havoc on your knees. Kinda like BMX crossed with skiing.
It's entirely possible that I made the last sport up.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 2, 2018, 03:10:03 pm »
The downhill skiers are absolutely crazy. Going down a fucking mountain on skis at 80mph takes some courage!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »
Can't wait....love the winter Olympics ....the ridiculous levels of danger involved in the events make it as enjoyable as the summer O's for me ...the BBC coverage looks great...goanner immerse myself in it for the fortnight
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 2, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »
Downhill Skiing,Snowboarding,Ski jump thingy,Skeleton,Ice skating sprinting and Bobsleigh is what i'll watch.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #25 on: February 2, 2018, 04:03:54 pm »
BBC broadcasting this is 4k aren't they?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 3, 2018, 03:55:03 pm »
The organisers are apparently giving out 100,000 condoms to athletes while they stay in town.  ;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #27 on: February 5, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »
Apologies for the late post but he's just released me from the ski poles. To be fair Nick is a considerate lover although when it comes to freestyle it can get messy.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #28 on: February 5, 2018, 03:51:33 pm »
The organisers are apparently giving out 100,000 condoms to athletes while they stay in town.  ;D

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 5, 2018, 03:54:20 pm »
Is Eddie the Eagle in it?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: February 5, 2018, 04:19:50 pm »
Is Eddie the Eagle in it?

Yes, he’s taking on the Ice Dance this time.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 5, 2018, 06:04:46 pm »
They did the same at London and Rio.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #32 on: February 5, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »
It will be interesting to see who cums first

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 7, 2018, 10:37:21 pm »
For me it's all about the mixed-doubles-curling and the pairs figure-skating, and the thing with skiing and rifles (I don't think there is a mixed-doubles in that) - marvelous

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #34 on: February 9, 2018, 08:03:09 am »
This is my weekend sewn up.

Im not sure what i'm looking forward to most, though the ice hockey is always a blast. My gf's cousin will be playing, so i'll have to keep an eye on him.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #35 on: February 9, 2018, 08:18:59 am »
This is my weekend sewn up.

Im not sure what i'm looking forward to most, though the ice hockey is always a blast. My gf's cousin will be playing, so i'll have to keep an eye on him.
Scratch that, the nfl players aren't competing.

Offline Woody Boyd

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: February 9, 2018, 08:27:30 am »
Scratch that, the nfl players aren't competing.

It would be a brilliant watch if the NFL players were competing in ice hockey  :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 9, 2018, 10:12:13 am »
Just watching the Mens normal Hill Ski Jump qualifying round from yesterday on Eurosport

Top 50 go through to Saturdays Medal round.  13:30 UK time too so happy days i can watch with no sleep hassle. :)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #38 on: February 9, 2018, 10:14:14 am »
Just watching the Mens normal Hill Ski Jump qualifying round from yesterday on Eurosport

Top 50 go through to Saturdays Medal round.  13:30 UK time too so happy days i can watch with no sleep hassle. :)

Did Spencer from Made In Chelsea get through?

Online CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: February 9, 2018, 10:28:44 am »
Lad I know is in the Paralympic Snowboard cross so looking forward to seeing some of that later in the month. Got a decent chance as well by all accounts.

Done really well to get there at all as all his and his coaches training gear was knicked from the back of his van couple of months back and had to crowdfund to replace it.