Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 754490 times)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #1000 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:11 am »
:D If he offers that sort of end product every match then we can all happily look past everything else!

But in general since I've seen him play for Liverpool, I think he's shown a heavy touch and makes the wrong decision with the ball too often for a player who is not especially prolific. Playing at this level, I think he's a valuable and versatile squad player. But I think he needs to go up another level to keep his starting place permanently.

We're seeing that less and less now though.

He's on an upward curve now, getting better each game and we're seeing more and more of the player Ox was supposed to become at Arsenal, but only was seen in small patches.

He's a pretty integral reason as to why we've done so well over the December-early January rush of games.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1001 on: January 20, 2018, 07:50:37 am »
If he can become the player I thought he'd become when he was 19 or so, we've struck gold.

I won't pretend I wanted to sign him as I personally think he ended up leaving Arsenal little better than he was when he started there, his development had completely stalled for a good two or three years. I thought the period where he could hone his game to being a capable midfielder had gone to waste.

It'll be a long process but he's looking pretty promising, have an inkling that if he'd remained at Arsenal for even a single season longer it'd have been too late for him to start again, if you know what I mean. On his part, its looking like a great decision to turn Chelsea down. My belief in August was that he'd have been better off there, attempting to take the step up from decent wingback to very good wingback, the position where he could best display the attributes that still stood out at the time. He backed himself to develop in midfield/attack though, and he's doing it month by month culminating (so far) in his display against City.

Early days but he's well and truly on the right track. Turning doubters into believers all over the place :P

Offline The Driftwood

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1002 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:10 am »
There was a lot of question marks around The Ox signing in the summer, I think in hindsight Klopp knew Coutinho was leaving in January so was slowly bedding him in as his replacement in the midfield.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1003 on: January 20, 2018, 10:03:31 am »
Really interested to see how he'll fare as 8 from now on especially against low block teams. He was so and so vs Everton and phenomenal vs City when there was a lot more space to exploit. I was on the fence with him in the summer but very positively surprised so far. His versatility could also be very useful this season.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1004 on: January 20, 2018, 10:36:15 am »
Really interested to see how he'll fare as 8 from now on especially against low block teams. He was so and so vs Everton and phenomenal vs City when there was a lot more space to exploit. I was on the fence with him in the summer but very positively surprised so far. His versatility could also be very useful this season.
League or FA Cup? Because he was on the wing in the latter. He's been here for just a few months and I find it amazing how clear his difference in quality is out wide compared to midfield. Highlights how poor Arsene's management of him was.

According to transfermarkt, he has 3 goals and 3 assists from 8 appearances in midfield. 1 goal and 1 assist from 20 appearances out wide.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1005 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:55 am »
League or FA Cup? Because he was on the wing in the latter. He's been here for just a few months and I find it amazing how clear his difference in quality is out wide compared to midfield. Highlights how poor Arsene's management of him was.

According to transfermarkt, he has 3 goals and 3 assists from 8 appearances in midfield. 1 goal and 1 assist from 20 appearances out wide.

Klopp and his team have played a blinder here, just like when they moved Lallana to midfield. I frankly thought during the summer when he was bought that he was being brought as a wide option to cover for Salah and Mane, but no. We need to get a different player to cover out wide, because he's brilliant in midfield as an 8.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1006 on: February 4, 2018, 07:05:26 pm »
I had wanted him to start but he was surprisingly poor when he came on so probably best that he didn't!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: February 4, 2018, 07:06:28 pm »
I had wanted him to start but he was surprisingly poor when he came on so probably best that he didn't!
Not that 'surprisingly', to be honest. He is hardworking, but a little lacking in composure and technique, and to come on in a tense game like that, it's not that surprising that he struggled.

Offline Je99ers

• Kopite
« Reply #1008 on: February 4, 2018, 07:56:30 pm »
I hope Ox can be a superstar once again.  it is going to take time to become a superstar after years and years' lack of development by Wenger.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1009 on: February 4, 2018, 07:58:13 pm »
He seems very hot and cold, and I don't think he's the answer to any of our current midfield problems.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1010 on: February 4, 2018, 07:58:57 pm »
He’s not a wide forward, despite people saying he offered cover there after we sold Coutinho.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: February 4, 2018, 08:01:33 pm »
He seems very hot and cold, and I don't think he's the answer to any of our current midfield problems.
Nope. But I guess we signed him because 1) Keita didn't arrive and Lamela didn't materialise and, 2) we need to have a certain number of English players, and he is young enough to be useful for some years to come, when Milner, Sturridge and others go.

Offline themightybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1012 on: February 4, 2018, 08:15:36 pm »
It's a bit of a cliche but I think that some players struggle to adapt to the 'pace'/feel of the game when brought on late and it looks like Ox is one of those. I really like him and have been impressed both with his skill and dynamism but he was terrible when he came on - I don't think we would've seen the same performance had he started though.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: February 4, 2018, 08:55:49 pm »
Ramsey's Welsh.

They coached the nationality out of him the bastards

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: February 4, 2018, 08:59:06 pm »

Very inconsistent. He has the potential to be a really good player but he isn’t fulfilling it.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1015 on: February 4, 2018, 09:12:16 pm »
Had a bit of a shocker when he came on, but it was a tricky game, Spurs were all over us.  Think he's a better option as one of 3 in the middle than as a wide attacker and had he been brought on in that position, he could've helped more because we were getting overrun centrally in the second half.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1016 on: February 5, 2018, 12:50:16 am »
Anyone think Ox was the signing we needed in summer? We all knew eventually Phil would leave. Should have bought someone who was more ready to contribute to first 11. The fact that he is not able to displace Gini/Mane who are on poor run of form, even after 35 odd matches and we paid about 40 million for him and the few minutes he played today, didn't even feel like he cared. Except for the City game, he hasn't impressed at all. Could have spent the 40 million on a readymade Phil replacement.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: February 5, 2018, 12:54:23 am »

It’s a hard game dynamic to come into - midfield utterly under the kosh, and all of a sudden playing next to Gini who had also come in cold.

At least one of them, if not both, should have started.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1018 on: February 5, 2018, 01:52:55 am »
Anyone think Ox was the signing we needed in summer? We all knew eventually Phil would leave. Should have bought someone who was more ready to contribute to first 11. The fact that he is not able to displace Gini/Mane who are on poor run of form, even after 35 odd matches and we paid about 40 million for him and the few minutes he played today, didn't even feel like he cared. Except for the City game, he hasn't impressed at all. Could have spent the 40 million on a readymade Phil replacement.

So now the sin against him is that he is not a replacement for Coutinho? Nobody will. Thank god that Klopp didn't make a desperation buy to replace Phil right away...the Coutinho FC fans would have slaughtered whoever it was.

I never expected Ox to deliver for us right away. Playing as a number 8 for Klopp is not the easiest thing to slide right into.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 01:56:04 am by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1019 on: February 5, 2018, 01:55:18 am »
It’s a hard game dynamic to come into - midfield utterly under the kosh, and all of a sudden playing next to Gini who had also come in cold.

Agree. I was surprised that we started with that midfield three. I much prefer Milner as a sub to help control games and maintain pressure later on.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1020 on: February 5, 2018, 06:00:03 am »
So now the sin against him is that he is not a replacement for Coutinho? Nobody will. Thank god that Klopp didn't make a desperation buy to replace Phil right away...the Coutinho FC fans would have slaughtered whoever it was.

I never expected Ox to deliver for us right away. Playing as a number 8 for Klopp is not the easiest thing to slide right into.

You said, playing No.8 is not the easiest thing to slide right into. Its been 6 months and 30 odd games. Not long enough? I am not saying we could have got a replacement with Phil's quality, but we could have got someone better than what Ox is doing now. 40 million is not a small amount, especially for a club like us. There are lot of players who would have already started performing much better.

Offline ManiacKop

• Smited by a Mighty Smiter.
  • Anny Roader
  • Here’s to swimming with Darwin's evolved fishes...
« Reply #1021 on: February 5, 2018, 07:27:19 am »
Wasn’t his best game yesterday. But by the time he came on the rest of the team were dead on their feet, staggering around like a horse from the walking dead.

Personally I would have started him.
Not the best walking advert for Intelligent Design.

Offline Kopite13

• Main Stander
« Reply #1022 on: February 5, 2018, 08:00:13 am »
Like Ox a lot but he was slow to settle into yesterday's game upon introduction. Understandable when you consider Spurs dominance of the ball at that point.

Regardless of that, he was caught ball watching and on his heels for that Wanyama goal. Watch the replay back and you'll see it. No desire to get to that ball defensively. As soon as Wanyama plays the ball out wide for the first phase of ball when Davis (I think?!) crosses he has already switched off. Really not good enough in that moment. Very poor.

I feel if he's alive to that and gets to the ball before Wanyama, which he should do, then we see out that game.

I actually thought we were doing a fine impression of a park the bus team second half. Something we really haven't perfected at all. Yet!

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1023 on: February 5, 2018, 08:42:19 am »
I don't think he's generally poor, but I would have liked a different kind of player. Either a pure DM for situations when we need that, like yesterday, or a more creative Lallana-type for Swansea-type games. Ox is too similar to the rest to make a major difference.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: February 5, 2018, 08:54:18 am »
Im still a big fan, but after 6 years at arsenal I still didnt know his best position. I still dont now. Wing back in a back 5 is where he impressed me most, lesser decision making options and more athleticism needed there. Hes good when hes instinctive, doesnt seem to do it when he has time to think.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: February 5, 2018, 09:25:03 am »
Im still a big fan, but after 6 years at arsenal I still didnt know his best position. I still dont now. Wing back in a back 5 is where he impressed me most, lesser decision making options and more athleticism needed there. Hes good when hes instinctive, doesnt seem to do it when he has time to think.

I think you can find his ideal position, by giving him clear instructions. He was a beast in some games for us, winning tackles, taking players on, or even tactically he was spot on against City. Against Spurs we were all over the place, so he looked lost when he came in, and couldn't cope with their front foot tactics,and couldn't catch the rhythm of the game.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1026 on: February 5, 2018, 09:30:31 am »
I think you can find his ideal position, by giving him clear instructions. He was a beast in some games for us, winning tackles, taking players on, or even tactically he was spot on against City. Against Spurs we were all over the place, so he looked lost when he came in, and couldn't cope with their front foot tactics,and couldn't catch the rhythm of the game.

I think he came into a midfield that was exhausted and relies on stamina, rather than guile.

We are crying out for a Xabi type player to just calm things in the midfield, in addition to Keita's energy.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1027 on: February 5, 2018, 09:30:34 am »
Sure, but to get better as a team we need players that can lift the others and influence the rhytm of the game themselves. Ox, much like the other midfielders, often look to the others for support. Can is the only midfielder now with some sort of leadership quality, but he has a lot of limitations as a player. 

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1028 on: February 5, 2018, 01:41:34 pm »

We paid 40 million for him and he has 7 years experience of playing football for a top club at the highest level including CL. For that money what we are expecting is a Salah/Mane/Firmino kind of impact. Not Joe Allen kind of impact. Younger players like TAA and Robertson seems so much at ease with our tactics than Ox. Take the case of Robertson, he was struggling yesterday, but never gave me the feeling that he stopped trying, which is clearly not the case with Ox.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: February 5, 2018, 01:45:58 pm »

Which Coutinho replacement is available for £40m?

I always saw Ox as a rather expensive squad option because he can play in so many positions to a reasonable level. With maybe the potential to become a starter.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: February 5, 2018, 01:47:54 pm »
You said, playing No.8 is not the easiest thing to slide right into. Its been 6 months and 30 odd games. Not long enough? I am not saying we could have got a replacement with Phil's quality, but we could have got someone better than what Ox is doing now. 40 million is not a small amount, especially for a club like us. There are lot of players who would have already started performing much better.
He started out with us making sub appearances in the Mane/Salah roles and wasn't convincing. He then had a good spell in a few starts at number 8. Then he came on in Mane's role, when we were unable to get or hold the ball.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1031 on: February 5, 2018, 02:00:14 pm »
Which Coutinho replacement is available for £40m?

I always saw Ox as a rather expensive squad option because he can play in so many positions to a reasonable level. With maybe the potential to become a starter.

I know we won't get a Coutinho level player for that amount but surely, there should be at least 10 better options than Ox out there. Draxler, Brandt, Meyer? or maybe with better scouting someone cheaper, like Son?
Ox is still unsure of his best position. I think, he neither has the discipline or creativity needed to be a midfielder nor productive enough to be a forward. For a versatile squad option, did we have to splash 40 million? Especially when its quite clear we don't have the financial power to match City, Chelsea or United.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #1032 on: February 5, 2018, 02:05:08 pm »
couldn't catch the rhythm of the game.

Think people under estimate the difficulty of coming off the bench and influencing in these types of games. Particularly when you are under the cosh.

Any sub is brought on to impact a game but it's much easier to impact when you in control (or at least dominating possession) then coming on when the team is being penned back.

AOC and Wijnaldum struggled yesterday. Milner did when he came on against City. We can debate whether they have the requisite qualities to be absolute top level players but you can't argue that they are very good PL players who have a great amount of experience. Even players at this level struggle to find the pace of the game, particularly in midfield.

I suppose I'm saying judge AOC on his performances as a whole rather than his sub appearance yesterday. For the 35M we paid for him he's done reasonably well. He's definitely added to the squad depth. We can't expect every 35M purchase to turn into Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino or Saido Mane.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1033 on: February 5, 2018, 02:08:38 pm »
He started out with us making sub appearances in the Mane/Salah roles and wasn't convincing. He then had a good spell in a few starts at number 8. Then he came on in Mane's role, when we were unable to get or hold the ball.

He had 1 good match, vs City. We are talking about a 40 million player, cost that much even when he was on his last year of contract. He should be putting in better performances. We are talking about a player who has more than 30 appearances in Europe, maybe more than anyone in our squad. He has the experience of playing in PL for 6 seasons in a very technical side. The level he is showing now is not what is expected of him. Needs to contribute more.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #1034 on: February 5, 2018, 02:08:44 pm »

I think it is more about mental preparedness. He had the same amount of time to get into the game as Wanyama but was sleeping as the latter waltz past him to spank the ball in from 25 yards. I think he has improved greatly but his game awareness does let him down.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #1035 on: February 7, 2018, 05:41:50 pm »
Very inconsistent. He has the potential to be a really good player but he isn’t fulfilling it.

Basically exactly what Arsenal fans told us we were getting. He's been brilliant on occasion yet on others the game just passes him by.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1036 on: February 7, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »
He was brought on as a sub in a fast paced game and asked to play some kind of weird left attacker / left wing back type thing - fuck knows what Klopp was doing at that point - the front 6 looked totally at sea - either our plan was horrible or the players weren't carrying it out; it was a terrible last 30 until Salah's goal so don't really see how he can be judged from it.
Also how many times has AOC played as a left forward in his career? Or on the left side at all?

He's looked really good for us as an 8 and that's where he should be in his setup.
The problem he now faces is that he's going to be used as first change or stand in in the wide forward positions in a 433 and I don't think it suits him at all.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1037 on: February 7, 2018, 08:01:29 pm »
I think it is more about mental preparedness. He had the same amount of time to get into the game as Wanyama but was sleeping as the latter waltz past him to spank the ball in from 25 yards. I think he has improved greatly but his game awareness does let him down.
It is easier to come on and settle into a game your side is in control of. Especially as Spurs and Liverpool's training sessions, more often than not, will revolve around being in control of the game and pressing high up the pitch. Therefore Wanyama is coming on the pitch in a situation he likely trains for daily.

Whereas Chamberlain (and Gini) are coming on in a situation we likely train for a lot less, and is harder to adjust to.

I don't make judgements, particularly negative ones, on players coming onto games and failing to adjust to the pace of the game because it is a the wrong set of circumstances to make a proper judgement on their quality.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: February 7, 2018, 08:03:48 pm »
It's obvious that the lad is desperate to do well, perhaps too desperate as he never seems relaxed. His passing is particularly poor often over hit or misdirected. To me he currently has no effective position being neither a tricky winger, a creative midfielder or a physically dominant midfielder. I wonder what the future holds for him as the midfield has to be overhauled in the summer and he is a bit of a misfit.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #1039 on: February 11, 2018, 06:57:51 pm »
Poor today unfortunately. His inconsistency is frustrating because there's an excellent player in there somewhere.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now