Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 759759 times)

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #1040 on: February 11, 2018, 08:23:42 pm »
Yeah, he does seem to have quite a wide range of performances that he puts in. I just don't think Klopp has had enough time to figure out what type of games he should be playing in. For me, so far, he's put his best performances in against the top teams when he's been on the periphery of games and found little pockets of space to dart into. When we want a bit more control of possession, like today, I'm not sure that's when he's best suited.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #1041 on: February 11, 2018, 08:51:03 pm »
Poor today unfortunately. His inconsistency is frustrating because there's an excellent player in there somewhere.
Don’t think he was poor as the game didn’t settle credit to Southampton,our midfield in general didn’t get a grip. You could tell he was gutted to be hooked but one had to go to see the game out imo.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: February 11, 2018, 08:57:34 pm »
Wasn't really his sort of game and we didn't get much rhythm in the game because our midfield didn't have a good grip. Often ended up being in somewhat wider areas along with our fullbacks today so didn't have much impact on the game. Needs to add to his pressing, and be a bit better with the ball and we'll have a very good option in midfield.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:43 pm »
Don’t think he was poor as the game didn’t settle credit to Southampton,our midfield in general didn’t get a grip. You could tell he was gutted to be hooked but one had to go to see the game out imo.

Got the impression he was gutted with himself, rather than the decision to sub him (if that makes sense).

Think he's his own fiercest critic and knows that wasn't a good performance, off the back of a really bad short appearance against Spurs

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: February 11, 2018, 09:27:18 pm »
He's trying too hard. Trying to make every ball he plays, run or tackle an immediately valuable one (in his mind).

He is his own biggest critic, which is a strength in that he has the mindset for improvement. However it can be a burden also. His interview after the Swansea game when he was hyper critical of himself really said it all. He couldn't bring himself to celebrate his goal in the 5-0 win (as he was so disappointed in his own performance).

Ultimately it feels as though he is more of an instinctive player so maybe it's no coincidence that two of his best moments for us have been the goals against West Ham away and Man City at home. Just picked up the ball and driven on.

He just needs to be ok with playing the easy ball every now and again and add some coolness to blood.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #1045 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:39 am »
I agree with the above comments about him seemingly having higher standards than he is showing at the moment,football is a confidence thing also.
He has the tools to go up a level in performance which is very encouraging.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: February 12, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »
Looked more like the Arsenal Ox recently, trying his best but desperately lacking in quality. I'd rest him against Porto
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1047 on: February 12, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
Poor today unfortunately. His inconsistency is frustrating because there's an excellent player in there somewhere.

Yes, but I am more confident that Klopp can help him to improve than Wenger ever did. The game seemed to pass him by a little, which you can afford on the wing but not as part of a three man midfield. Didn't do much wrong, exactly, but not the player we've seen in recent weeks. Could be he was carrying a bug or minor injury, just looked a little off the pace.

So long as it's not a regular thing, I'm not worried. Maybe give him a rest midweek and start Lallana, who looked a lot brighter.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1048 on: February 12, 2018, 05:18:15 pm »
He's trying too hard. Trying to make every ball he plays, run or tackle an immediately valuable one (in his mind).

He is his own biggest critic, which is a strength in that he has the mindset for improvement. However it can be a burden also. His interview after the Swansea game when he was hyper critical of himself really said it all. He couldn't bring himself to celebrate his goal in the 5-0 win (as he was so disappointed in his own performance).

Ultimately it feels as though he is more of an instinctive player so maybe it's no coincidence that two of his best moments for us have been the goals against West Ham away and Man City at home. Just picked up the ball and driven on.

He just needs to be ok with playing the easy ball every now and again and add some coolness to blood.

Agree with this.

He tries to do something out the ordinary every time he gets it.

Still learning the system maybe.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1049 on: February 17, 2018, 11:10:58 pm »
I finally figured it out with this guy.For so many years everybody has said the same thing "The Potential" hes got massive potential huge potential if he realizes his potential hes the durable poster boy for Potential.

Everybody's been wrong all along. Everybody.For years. Hes the opposite hes got no potential at all he's got two levels hes always had two levels he's got his Po, and hes got his Tential.

See when he played against Man City the speed the athleticism the quickness of thought he was bringing his Tential. The runnning the pressing the snap into a tackle is otherworldly,  truly outstanding, very tough to fend off. He didnt need to learn anything or grow into anything he just brought it. hes got it already. Got his Tential all ready to go hes always had that shit its why hes a confident lad.

But then so many times he only brings the Po. Swansea and West Brom were all Po all day, and Jurgen has squarely placed the finger on him, hes off to the bench until there enough Tential in practice that Jurgen thinks he'll see it in a game. This is a Po free zone, man.

Either Klopp will make a truly outstanding player out of him (which is my bet) or he will go all down Danny Sturridge road except he'll have pulled snapchats instead of hamstrings keeping him out. Cmon Squishy. lets go buddy. Your not fooling me anymore i know you can do it whenever you really buckle down to it.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1050 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:59 pm »
I finally figured it out with this guy.For so many years everybody has said the same thing "The Potential" hes got massive potential huge potential if he realizes his potential hes the durable poster boy for Potential.

Everybody's been wrong all along. Everybody.For years. Hes the opposite hes got no potential at all he's got two levels hes always had two levels he's got his Po, and hes got his Tential.

See when he played against Man City the speed the athleticism the quickness of thought he was bringing his Tential. The runnning the pressing the snap into a tackle is otherworldly,  truly outstanding, very tough to fend off. He didnt need to learn anything or grow into anything he just brought it. hes got it already. Got his Tential all ready to go hes always had that shit its why hes a confident lad.

But then so many times he only brings the Po. Swansea and West Brom were all Po all day, and Jürgen has squarely placed the finger on him, hes off to the bench until there enough Tential in practice that Jürgen thinks he'll see it in a game. This is a Po free zone, man.

Either Klopp will make a truly outstanding player out of him (which is my bet) or he will go all down Danny Sturridge road except he'll have pulled snapchats instead of hamstrings keeping him out. Cmon Squishy. lets go buddy. Your not fooling me anymore i know you can do it whenever you really buckle down to it.

Come on now folks, drink up, we've all got homes to go to.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1051 on: February 17, 2018, 11:48:15 pm »
Come on now folks, drink up, we've all got homes to go to.

:hally  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: February 18, 2018, 09:52:29 pm »
*Stats warning*
http://www.playedoffthepark.co.uk/trying-to-find-midfielders/

It's interesting to see how well he profiles analytically here.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1053 on: February 18, 2018, 09:57:31 pm »
*Stats warning*
http://www.playedoffthepark.co.uk/trying-to-find-midfielders/

It's interesting to see how well he profiles analytically here.

Basically it says... sign Naby Keita.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: February 19, 2018, 09:20:41 am »
Basically it says... sign Naby Keita.
And Frenkie de Jong. Hassinator is a fan, I think...

My personal favourite for the deeper role, Jorginho, doesn't look bad at that either. You'd imagine that we want to replace Can with another midfielder, but it remains to be seen what type of player Klopp wants though. We haven't been seriously linked to anyone (bar Goretzka maybe?).

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: February 19, 2018, 10:25:19 am »
And Frenkie de Jong. Hassinator is a fan, I think...

My personal favourite for the deeper role, Jorginho, doesn't look bad at that either. You'd imagine that we want to replace Can with another midfielder, but it remains to be seen what type of player Klopp wants though. We haven't been seriously linked to anyone (bar Goretzka maybe?).

See I'm in two minds here, wouldn't be against someone like Jorginho but with Can going we will miss his physical presence. Klopp also has said pressing is better than any deep creative midfielder. I would agree with what Gerrard said before the Porto game. We need a big deep lying midfielder who thinks defensively first. But they can't be bad on the ball either. Which does reduce our potential targets.

With Keita, and lallana/Chamberlain/Coutinho replacement possibly playing in the 3 I really believe to get the most our of them whilst improving our defence (let's be honest still our weakness) we'd be better off with someone like Ndidi. Someone who's okay on the ball but has great defensive stats.

I think Keita, Coutinho replacement, Salah, Mane and Firmino would do just fine without a creative type added in. But our defence would benefit massively from an Ndidi.

Also that shows just how underrated Moussa Dembele is. One of best midfielders in our league imo. And Frenkie De Jong looks incredible based on that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:32:25 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1056 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:57 am »
Also that shows just how underrated Moussa Dembele is. One of best midfielders in our league imo. And Frenkie De Jong looks incredible based on that.

He's been pretty shite this season apparently apart from his last few games.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: February 19, 2018, 10:38:36 am »
He's been pretty shite this season apparently apart from his last few games.

He was struggling with injuries the first half of season wasn't he, so understandable. When he's fully fit he's very very good.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1058 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:00 am »
He was struggling with injuries the first half of season wasn't he, so understandable. When he's fully fit he's very very good.

Interestingly, I described Keita as an elite version of Dembele when we were first linked almost 2 years ago.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1059 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:56 am »
I think Dembele is a great player when on form. A player in that mould would be a great addition if we can find one.

We're building towards a very combative midfield yet not losing much in terms of creative output when everyone's fit and Naby comes in. Ox will be a big part of that, and when he gains some composure, will be a key player.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: February 19, 2018, 11:41:13 am »
I think Keita, Coutinho replacement, Salah, Mane and Firmino would do just fine without a creative type added in. But our defence would benefit massively from an Ndidi.
Agree with most of what you say, I'm not certain what type of player would benefit us the most either.

But one thing about Jorginho, he wins the ball/intercepts quite often despite not being the strongest (according to his stats, I haven't had a closer look at that part of his game myself), and his ability to remain calm under pressure would benefit the defence as well, if in a different way to a more physical, defensive player. We'd also put even more pressure on the opponents when on the ball, teams who park the bus would have a harder time with a great, and most of all a quick, passer from deep. Keita's dribbling and forward runs is another thing that I hope will transform us in these games though.

Of course what I think is rather irrelevent, but it is interesting to discuss. We'll hopefully see enough improvment to our defence with Van Dijk, and possibly another keeper (or improving Karius, who is the right type of player imo), that I'd want a new midfielder to be more concered with what we do with the ball rather than without. We lack the ability to calm things down when needed, to just retain the ball and see games out, and when facing defensive sides we need to pass the ball quicker. That is why I think a player like Jorginho is perhaps of greater benefit rather than a more traditional defensive number 6.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: February 19, 2018, 11:45:05 am »
Agree with most of what you say, I'm not certain what type of player would benefit us the most either.

But one thing about Jorginho, he wins the ball/intercepts quite often despite not being the strongest (according to his stats, I haven't had a closer look at that part of his game myself), and his ability to remain calm under pressure would benefit the defence as well, if in a different way to a more physical, defensive player. We'd also put even more pressure on the opponents when on the ball, teams who park the bus would have a harder time with a great, and most of all a quick, passer from deep. Keita's dribbling and forward runs is another thing that I hope will transform us in these games though.

Of course what I think is rather irrelevent, but it is interesting to discuss. We'll hopefully see enough improvment to our defence with Van Dijk, and possibly another keeper (or improving Karius, who is the right type of player imo), that I'd want a new midfielder to be more concered with what we do with the ball rather than without. We lack the ability to calm things down when needed, to just retain the ball and see games out, and when facing defensive sides we need to pass the ball quicker. That is why I think a player like Jorginho is perhaps of greater benefit rather than a more traditional defensive number 6.

A lot of the attributes Jorginho brings you see in Keita though. I think we currently lack balance in midfield. None of them are more defensive minded than they are attack minded. We have so many attack minded midfielders and since we sold Lucas we have none defensively. I think we need at least the option of another Lucas. We don't need one every game but sometimes we are crying out for one and we don't have one in the squad.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:56 am »
Keita seems much more all action and willing to go forward than Jorginho, although I haven't seen either player that much. But Jorginho basically stays in position, and controls the game with his passing, something we don't have in the side either. Henderson is, when fit, a good defensive number 6 in my opinion, if not perfect in that role.

A peak Lucas would be great though, as I think his passing from deep was underrated. He was quick and clever on the ball, as well as being excellent defensively. If the defensive midfielder is a good as him on the ball, I wont complain. Not sure Ndidi is, but again, I haven't watched him closely.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: February 19, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »
Keita seems much more all action and willing to go forward than Jorginho, although I haven't seen either player that much. But Jorginho basically stays in position, and controls the game with his passing, something we don't have in the side either. Henderson is, when fit, a good defensive number 6 in my opinion, if not perfect in that role.

A peak Lucas would be great though, as I think his passing from deep was underrated. He was quick and clever on the ball, as well as being excellent defensively. If the defensive midfielder is a good as him on the ball, I wont complain. Not sure Ndidi is, but again, I haven't watched him closely.

For some reason Lucas is in the upper quartet in the dribbling category. Now Lucas is a lot of a good things, but an above average dribbler isn't one of them, especially now.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: February 19, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »
A lot of the attributes Jorginho brings you see in Keita though. I think we currently lack balance in midfield. None of them are more defensive minded than they are attack minded. We have so many attack minded midfielders and since we sold Lucas we have none defensively. I think we need at least the option of another Lucas. We don't need one every game but sometimes we are crying out for one and we don't have one in the squad.

I think the modern players have to have an eye on both aspects of the game now. You can't just have defensively minded and attack minded players. We expect our fullbacks to maraud and be involved in attack, we expect our central defenders to be comfortable on the ball to then start moves from the back and contribute to our goal threat etc. The same goes with a deep CM. What we need is someone that'll bring physical presence to the team, but also add something with range of passing/distribution and have the tactical awareness to also protect our back 4, protect our attacking fullbacks.

Quite like the look of that Diawara lad at Napoli. Real monster of a player if he can develop a bit more. A bit one footed from what little I have seen, but physically very imposing, decent on the ball and seems to have good short and long passing range.

As for Ox, well I think we're still waiting to see what it is that he brings uniquely to the team. IMHO I don't think he's a central midfielder or Coutinho type player. I see him more as a speedy powerful tricky wide forward. Someone that bring similar qualities to Mane in terms of raw pace/acceleration and perhaps an eye for goal. To me, I haven't seen the range of passing, understanding of the nuances of game management and control of tempo, in order to play CM. He's also nowhere near good enough defensively to play as anything but the most advanced CM in any case. If he added being a set piece threat and perhaps penalty expert to his talents then he'd find a place in the side, but until then he's probably going to be a bit of a versatile stand in player now and then. When Keita comes, in he'll find it even harder to secure a place because Keita also brings power/pace, creativity and goals but seems more consistent and seems a bit better in terms of pressing and winning the ball.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:29:06 pm by mrantarctica »

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: February 19, 2018, 12:59:04 pm »
I think the modern players have to have an eye on both aspects of the game now. You can't just have defensively minded and attack minded players. We expect our fullbacks to maraud and be involved in attack, we expect our central defenders to be comfortable on the ball to then start moves from the back and contribute to our goal threat etc. The same goes with a deep CM. What we need is someone that'll bring physical presence to the team, but also add something with range of passing/distribution and have the tactical awareness to also protect our back 4, protect our attacking fullbacks.

Quite like the look of that Diawara lad at Napoli. Real monster of a player if he can develop a bit more. A bit one footed from what little I have seen, but physically very imposing, decent on the ball and seems to have good short and long passing range.

As for Ox, well I think we're still waiting to see what it is that he brings uniquely to the team. IMHO I don't think he's a central midfielder or Coutinho type player. I see him more as a speedy powerful tricky wide forward. Someone that bring similar qualities to Mane in terms of raw pace/acceleration and perhaps an eye for goal. To me, I haven't seen the range of passing, understanding of the nuances of game management and control of tempo, in order to play CM. He's also nowhere near good enough defensively to play as anything but the most advanced CM in any case. If he added being a set piece threat and perhaps penalty expert to his talents then he'd find a place in the side, but until then he's probably going to be a bit of a versatile stand in player now and then. When Keita comes, in he'll find it even harder to secure a place because Keita also brings power/pace, creativity and goals but seems more consistent and seems a bit better in terms of pressing and winning the ball.

He's personally my first choice, but because of potential. Although He's not 100% ready I don't think. But could work well with rotating with Hendo. Spurs linked to him unfortunately. He's also Naby's international teammate. You could have those two with Chamberlain/lallana ahead.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: February 19, 2018, 01:11:50 pm »
Interestingly, I described Keita as an elite version of Dembele when we were first linked almost 2 years ago.
Just out of curiosity, could you show me where we were linked with Keita almost two years ago?

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: February 19, 2018, 01:28:40 pm »
Just out of curiosity, could you show me where we were linked with Keita almost two years ago?
Shots fired...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1069 on: February 19, 2018, 01:38:30 pm »

I shouldn't post that early in the morning, I didn't mean linked - more discussions came up about him :D

He turned us (and Arsenal) down in spring 2016, talked about it in an interview in France that was posted in the transfer forum  - which we cannot access now. We (and Arsenal, coincidentally) were linked with him by Ted Knutsen on what we both needed back then in midfield and the answer for both teams was Naby Keita. There wasn't anything in the local press back then though.

So in terms of fact checking, it wasn't quite 2 years ago and not really linked despite it transpiring later that we did approach him around that time according to Naby himself.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1070 on: February 19, 2018, 03:26:17 pm »
A lot of the attributes Jorginho brings you see in Keita though.

They're very different though
I mean the problem with buying another midfielder is you could say this sentence about every player and Keita - he can do basically everything in central midfield. The only thing you could say is he's pretty direct (Naby) he's not a possession first player
Jorginho is - he's much more of a 'controlling' / passing midfielder from what I've seen. Sits deeper than Naby generally does, doesn't take as many risks with the ball and is rarely going to dribble past anyone.
If we want a deeper lying midfielder Jorginho is a great shout however he's not the dynamic / super athletic midfielder Klopp seems to like almost exclusively.

Aside from him I don't understand people obsessively wanting an athletic 'stopper' DM type its really not what our team needs at all. I see people like Dacoure and Ndidi constantly 'fancied' by LFC fans and I have no earthly idea why they're not close to good enough on the ball.
Why do people look at our midfield - already the most athletic in the Premier League - and want to add more athletes. Especially when the most athletic midfielder on the planet (who happens to also be good on the ball) is arriving in the summer
The massive gap in our squad is passing and creativity in midfield

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: February 19, 2018, 04:03:07 pm »
I mean the problem with buying another midfielder is you could say this sentence about every player and Keita - he can do basically everything in central midfield. The only thing you could say is he's pretty direct (Naby) he's not a possession first player
Jorginho is - he's much more of a 'controlling' / passing midfielder from what I've seen. Sits deeper than Naby generally does, doesn't take as many risks with the ball and is rarely going to dribble past anyone.
If we want a deeper lying midfielder Jorginho is a great shout however he's not the dynamic / super athletic midfielder Klopp seems to like almost exclusively.

Aside from him I don't understand people obsessively wanting an athletic 'stopper' DM type its really not what our team needs at all. I see people like Dacoure and Ndidi constantly 'fancied' by LFC fans and I have no earthly idea why they're not close to good enough on the ball.
Why do people look at our midfield - already the most athletic in the Premier League - and want to add more athletes. Especially when the most athletic midfielder on the planet (who happens to also be good on the ball) is arriving in the summer

Well said Jack, people are caught up in previous teams, both here and elsewhere and how the midfield was constructed. There is not only one way to play football, there are numerous ways, and not ever way needs that type of defensive midfielder that people are obsessed with. It's also to do with our defending, because the connection is that with a proper DM, we won't be conceding goals. However we are an attacking side, we will concede more than certain other sides due how we are set up. That is not to say that we shouldn't eliminate mistakes, far from it.

But good points made there.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1072 on: February 19, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »

Have you actually watched Doucoure play, Jack? He's not a talentless stopper by any means. Really composed on the ball and a goal threat.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1073 on: February 19, 2018, 04:18:28 pm »

Agreed. It looks like we'll be looking at a more ball playing sitting midfielder (DLP) as in Jorginho and Weigl than a pure DM. Our system also suits such a player more than a Destroyer. The most we can go in that direction is Fabinho, who even though is physical has a decent pass in him.

On a side note, Chelsea got the wrong midfielder from Monaco.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1074 on: February 19, 2018, 04:20:53 pm »
Agreed. It looks like we'll be looking at a more ball playing sitting midfielder (DLP) as in Jorginho and Weigl than a pure DM.

Says who? We've been linked - albeit rather tenuously - with Ndidi and Wanyama recently. I genuinely cannot see Klopp going for a player like Jorginho. Clever player but if he had doubts about Salah's physicality, then that's going to apply to a holding midfielder with questionable strength tenfold.

The gap in our squad is going to be Emre Can, so I think it's safe to assume we'll be looking to replace him with height and strength. If they're a great passer, too, than all the better, but players with remarkable physical and technical skills don't grow on trees.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1075 on: February 19, 2018, 04:25:10 pm »
Have you actually watched Doucoure play, Jack? He's not a talentless stopper by any means. Really composed on the ball and a goal threat.

But nowhere close to the likes of Jorginho or Weigl who can switch play for fun. And for such a crucial position as No. 6, we may have to think beyond Doucoure and Ndidi for a side of our ambitions, however good they may be. They'd need a lot more positional discipline and tactical nous in a side much more open (us) than they've shown so far. Jorginho's already in a pressing side under Sarri and build up play with him dictating is outstanding which is what we might need against Bus parkers. We need players who can switch sides and show a passing range from the middle to pick out such sides and we don't have anyone else apart from Henderson who can do that (Now VVD?). And such players don't need to be too physical off the ball (maybe except aerially), if they're intelligent tactically, that should be enough.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1076 on: February 19, 2018, 04:27:46 pm »
Says who? We've been linked - albeit rather tenuously - with Ndidi and Wanyama recently. I genuinely cannot see Klopp going for a player like Jorginho. Clever player but if he had doubts about Salah's physicality, then that's going to apply to a holding midfielder with questionable strength tenfold.

The gap in our squad is going to be Emre Can, so I think it's safe to assume we'll be looking to replace him with height and strength. If they're a great passer, too, than all the better, but players with remarkable physical and technical skills don't grow on trees.

The argument's busted right away when you mention Salah isn't it? He is making a fool out of much bigger and stronger players isn't he?

How strong are the links to Wanyama and Ndidi compared to the earlier Goretzka links for example? If the gap in our squad is Can, what he lacks is game intelligence. If we're getting someone for a 6, we should get what he lacked - a No. 6 player with intelligence. Not a battering ram.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:30:42 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: February 19, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »

Yeah Ndidi is pretty weak on the ball at the minute but he's got all the tools to be a monster. But you're absolutely right, he's pretty much a defensive midfielder who is alright going forward and has a hammer shot on him. And the manager has shown absolutely no idea so far that he's the sort of player we'd use in midfield. And considering he'd cost the thick end of £40/50 million, I'm not sure we'd go for someone who needs a lot of honing to function in this team.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: February 19, 2018, 06:20:25 pm »

No I wouldn't say he's a talentless stopper but I don't think he's elite at much either. I think best CM in the 14th placed team is about right for him - the sort of player that tops out at a Leicester or an Everton

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »

I genuinely don't know who we'll sign in midfield this summer its interesting... or if we'll sign another player after Keita
We went for Goretzka but I'm not sure that's totally indicative as he was an opportunity to get a good player without a fee.
You say the gap is Emre Can but Can has never been out and out first choice for Klopp (he's never been first choice above Henderson - we've signed Keita to play in one of the other slots) so I really don't know.