Poll

Well - scroungers or the bestest peoplers EVER! You decide!

Keep them (I Live in the North of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or Cornwall)
64 (13.3%)
Keep them (I live elsewhere in the UK - probably the South or Midlands)
39 (8.1%)
Bin them  (I Live in the North of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or Cornwall)
151 (31.5%)
Bin them  (I live elsewhere in the UK - probably the South or Midlands)
83 (17.3%)
Keep them (I'm not from the UK)
26 (5.4%)
Bin them (I'm not from the UK)
76 (15.8%)
More cheese, Gromit?
41 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 480

Author Topic: Should the UK keep the Royal Family?  (Read 55396 times)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Should the UK keep the Royal Family?
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2018, 06:56:55 pm »
yup mostly bitter losers in life who seem to really hate the royals/lords etc, personally when it comes to prioritising things in this country that need to change they barely register as there are far more important things to sort out before you even consider them
Yep, I know it's unfashionable to say nice things about people but she seems a really nice girl but that matters little. today we rip people to shreds for no reason. we attack them a care little about what their family may feel. then we start moaning when people don't give a toss about each other.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2018, 07:01:46 pm »
Yep, I know it's unfashionable to say nice things about people but she seems a really nice girl but that matters little. today we rip people to shreds for no reason. we attack them a care little about what their family may feel. then we start moaning when people don't give a toss about each other.
for me it’s just why there’s some who love slagging them off constantly as if they’re one of the main reasons why things are fucked for many people here when you could get rid of them and it’ll do fuck all for those suffering, I mean use your time and energy on things that can actually change otherwise you look like, a sad virtue signaller who does ok and doesn’t really want change just want people to think you do want change

Offline Marcel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2018, 07:05:17 pm »
yup mostly bitter losers in life who seem to really hate the royals/lords etc, personally when it comes to prioritising things in this country that need to change they barely register as there are far more important things to sort out before you even consider them

Wow, what an incredibly flimsy defence of the idea that we should keep the royal family. Especially since most of your other posts seem well reasoned. What I hate is the treatment of a specific family as 'better than' the rest of the country (for literally no good reason), with all the perks that go with it. Not the family itself.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2018, 07:11:45 pm »

It doesn't matter at all when you're talking about whether to keep the institution of monarchy or not.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2018, 07:14:27 pm »

That's a bit of a straw man. Most people want to abolish the institution. The individuals I'm sure are like everyone else.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2018, 07:15:18 pm »
Just keep them.

We’ve had a Royal family for 100s of years, why change now?
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
Just keep them.

Because it's ridiculous to have people born into power, and the sky wouldn't fall down if we did get rid of them.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2018, 07:30:08 pm »
Because it's ridiculous to have people born into power, and the sky wouldn't fall down if we did get rid of them.
People are born into or inherit millions of pounds - shall we abolish that as well?

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »
Wow, what an incredibly flimsy defence of the idea that we should keep the royal family. Especially since most of your other posts seem well reasoned. What I hate is the treatment of a specific family as 'better than' the rest of the country (for literally no good reason), with all the perks that go with it. Not the family itself.
their ‘reason’ is that they are born into a certain family, is it fair, not really but it’s not as if they actually rule the country is it, even if the queen is the head of state.

It’s not really a defence of why we should keep them, more of a ‘theres other things that can be done that will have a far greater impact’ that I’d rather focus on

wouldnt say the sky would fall in but the queen is the head of state and the PM/cabinet run the country, so the queen could overrule them if needs be (think that’s right) so it’s an extra check and balance to help prevent a PM going totally batshit mad like has happened in other countries without one, we haven’t need it and I hope we never would but I’d rather have that there than not, ditto the lords (and that they’re unelected is actually a benefit, albeit bin off the hereditary peers)

People are born into or inherit millions of pounds - shall we abolish that as well?
Abi Wilkinson wrote an article in the guardian arguing for a 100% inheritance tax a while ago, totally idiotic and unworkable but there are some who think that’d work when it would likely hurt those who’s parents die suddenly (and those who actually need the money) whereas those who die old can plan transferring assets over to their kids and they will pay bugger all
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:34:43 pm by Laughter is the best medicine... »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »

Possibly. Being rich doesn't automatically give someone direct power over others though, as being born into/marrying into the royal family does.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2018, 07:44:57 pm »
Possibly. Being rich doesn't automatically give someone direct power over others though, as being born into/marrying into the royal family does.
rich kids who run the family business?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »
their ‘reason’ is that they are born into a certain family, is it fair, not really but it’s not as if they actually rule the country is it, even if the queen is the head of state.

It’s not really a defence of why we should keep them, more of a ‘theres other things that can be done that will have a far greater impact’ that I’d rather focus on
wouldnt say the sky would fall in but the queen is the head of state and the PM/cabinet run the country, so the queen could overrule them if needs be (think that’s right) so it’s an extra check and balance to help prevent a PM going totally batshit mad like has happened in other countries without one, we haven’t need it and I hope we never would but I’d rather have that there than not, ditto the lords (and that they’re unelected is actually a benefit, albeit bin off the hereditary peers)
Abi Wilkinson wrote an article in the guardian arguing for a 100% inheritance tax a while ago, totally idiotic and unworkable but there are some who think that’d work when it would likely hurt those who’s parents die suddenly (and those who actually need the money) whereas those who die old can plan transferring assets over to their kids and they will pay bugger all

Couldn't the courts be that check and balance? If not, there's always the president option which isn't perfect, but I don't see a flaw in it that's worse than the flaw of a king/queen being unelected.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
rich kids who run the family business?

I mean political/constitutional power over others. Sure, the rich kids could try to lobby/bribe the PM of the day, but that's not the same as being able to overrule the PM and the implications that potentially has for the entire country.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2018, 07:59:47 pm »
Couldn't the courts be that check and balance? If not, there's always the president option which isn't perfect, but I don't see a flaw in it that's worse than the flaw of a king/queen being unelected.
problem with the courts is that the leaders tend to strongarm out those perceived enemies and do other stuff to invalidate the existing institutions (maduro lost parliamentary control so basically created his own one who’s power is greater than the old one) so they fail to act like that.

As for the flaw in a president, the states is a good reference to the bad side, not just trump but you had Obama with a republican senate and house who openly didn’t want to work with him and went out of their way to make things difficult, at least here the PM comes from the party with the most seats so they can get things done

I mean political/constitutional power over others. Sure, the rich kids could try to lobby/bribe the PM of the day, but that's not the same as being able to overrule the PM and the implications that potentially has for the entire country.
true, but they do get born into power/influence, then again from my own experiences in the corporate world I’d say a bigger issue is more with the non family nepotism that happens where people promote their favourites over people who are actually good and get away with stuff that many would get fired, but they’re big pals with the bosses so it gets wiped under the carpet

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2018, 08:30:01 pm »
That's a bit of a straw man. Most people want to abolish the institution. The individuals I'm sure are like everyone else.
I haven't got a problem with people wanting to get rid of the Royal family but why all the hatred and anger. If they are trying to justify this opinion because they think it will create a better world then I disagree. it's the country we live in today. if we want a decent world were people actually care then start with ourselves.
My point is everyone's screaming for massive change and it's all down to people talking with anger and hate. everyone wants to get rid of something and they justify that opinion by bringing up the homeless and poverty.
I don't think homelessness and poverty is all down to someones political opinion or the Royal family or whatever, it's about people not giving a s.. about each other, being nasty to decent people is acceptable today.
Don't get me wrong this is not about wanting everybody to be nice to each other but theres no reason to be nasty to everyone for no reason, I will tear apart the people who deserve to be tore apart. most of these Tories and a selfish press.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 20, 2018, 08:58:40 pm »
Just keep them.

What a ridiculous argument. We had smallpox for tens of thousands of years - should we have kept that too?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 20, 2018, 09:23:39 pm »
What a ridiculous argument. We had smallpox for tens of thousands of years - should we have kept that too?

What's the length of time we have to have something before we say we have to keep it now we've had it that long?

We've had the Tories in charge for 8 years, may as well keep them forever now.  ::)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »
Voted to bin them, but on reflection they don't actually bother me that much, and none of them seem too dickish (except maybe the Queen, and I think she's been conditioned to be that way). I'd be happy to keep them, as long as they have to have normal jobs, live in normal houses, and all their land gets split up, with every British citizen getting an equal share. All their stately homes and palaces could be converted into homeless shelters, a nice little bit of payback for all those who got shifted on so as they wouldn't be an eyesore for the royal wedding attendees or whatever the sick rationale behind that was.

If we can sort all this out then I'm all for the monarchy. I'd even buy one of those funny little union flag hats and wear it with pride. If we can't sort all this out then they can fuck off, quite frankly.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:32 pm »
What's the length of time we have to have something before we say we have to keep it now we've had it that long?

We've had the Tories in charge for 8 years, may as well keep them forever now.  ::)
And Brexit. We had a vote in favour of it - no point in reconsidering this action, no matter what new facts, changes of heart or circumstances, or realisations subsequently turn up. I put on clean underwear today - no need to revisit and update that decision tomorrow or ever again.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2018, 11:41:18 pm »
Hmmm.....just like your ridiculous counter statement! Be honest, does having a Royal Family really impact on your life? The reality is it probably doesn’t and never will!

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2018, 11:43:12 pm »

The point is....it won’t change! You might as well grin and bear it hey?!

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2018, 11:44:33 pm »
And Brexit. We had a vote in favour of it - no point in reconsidering this action, no matter what new facts, changes of heart or circumstances, or realisations subsequently turn up. I put on clean underwear today - no need to revisit and update that decision tomorrow or ever again.
Silly boy

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2018, 11:47:35 pm »
Voted to bin them, but on reflection they don't actually bother me that much, and none of them seem too dickish (except maybe the Queen, and I think she's been conditioned to be that way). I'd be happy to keep them, as long as they have to have normal jobs, live in normal houses, and all their land gets split up, with every British citizen getting an equal share. All their stately homes and palaces could be converted into homeless shelters, a nice little bit of payback for all those who got shifted on so as they wouldn't be an eyesore for the royal wedding attendees or whatever the sick rationale behind that was.

If we can sort all this out then I'm all for the monarchy. I'd even buy one of those funny little union flag hats and wear it with pride. If we can't sort all this out then they can fuck off, quite frankly.

Excellent summary.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:51 am »
I don't mind them personally. I don't know them nor speak to them so I can't/won't judge them as such.

However, it's the constant flouting and in your face coverage of Lady this and Earl of that at a time when people were burned alive in their little battery chicken tower flats, many survivors of whom have yet to be housed more than a year on.

Of course the royals did not cause this nor other disasters, and they have no political say as such I get this, but times are hard, you look around you and everyone is checking and double checking their wallets, people looking over their shoulders panicking if they will get the sack and so maybe a more low key profile in these times would be appropriate, send out a media memo say we want this to be low key and a little private, save the pomp and circumstance to better times perhaps.

Newspapers headline Prince William saying having a 3rd child is "Thrice the headache".... really? honestly? what does that single parent picking up their child from nursery on the way home from work have to say?

Again, not saying William is responsible for the woes of others, but times are hard, a little low key from the royals wouldn't hurt.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:27 am »
Hmmm.....just like your ridiculous counter statement! Be honest, does having a Royal Family really impact on your life? The reality is it probably doesn’t and never will!
Good grief. Of course it is a ridiculous argument. That's the point! I used the same argument you to demonstrate its weakness. The length of time something has already existed is not an argument for keeping it. Do try to keep up.
Silly boy
Yes, I was being 'silly' - deliberately so. I used the exact same silly argument as you. The difference being that you were not meaning to be silly. Your achievement was effortless:
Just keep them.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 21, 2018, 08:27:55 am »
Good grief. Of course it is a ridiculous argument. That's the point! I used the same argument you to demonstrate its weakness. The length of time something has already existed is not an argument for keeping it. Do try to keep up.Silly boy

Yes, I was being 'silly' - deliberately so. I used the exact same silly argument as you. The difference being that you were not meaning to be silly. Your achievement was effortless:
Calm down dear. It's just my opinion and a throw away one at that. I'm not going to get out of my tree over something that has zero chance of changing! As I asked previously - how does it impact anyone's lives? It really doesn't apart from taxation to help fund their lifestyle but let's be honest, you dispose the royal family and our money will go into decorating the presidents new offices and then you can fucking moan about that hey?! Rather than make it your sole purpose in trying to pick apart my opinion, why don't you put your antagonistic efforts into changing your underwear!

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2018, 08:39:17 am »
I hope they christen the new sprog Andrew

Already too many bloody 'Royals' sullying my name .. :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #267 on: May 21, 2018, 08:40:20 am »

"Mostly bitter losers in life" [aren't Royalists]

You got any evidence whatsoever to back this up?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2018, 09:00:50 am »
"Mostly bitter losers in life" [aren't Royalists]

You got any evidence whatsoever to back this up?
go look on their twitter feeds :P

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2018, 09:45:18 am »
go look on their twitter feeds :P

Most Socialists I know from Liverpool. Well. Actually all of them aren't Royalists. Do you know a group of Socialist Liverpudlians that are bucking the trend and gettig behind the Royal Family?

Fair play if so, but it sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2018, 10:12:19 am »
Most Socialists I know from Liverpool. Well. Actually all of them aren't Royalists. Do you know a group of Socialist Liverpudlians that are bucking the trend and gettig behind the Royal Family?

Fair play if so, but it sounds a bit far-fetched to me.
what has socialists from Liverpool got to do with my point?

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2018, 10:21:07 am »
A snide comment.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: May 21, 2018, 10:41:59 am »
A snide comment.
nah based on experience and those I know who passionately hate the royals are people who have done fuck all in life, can’t take any responsibility for themselves but still think they’re the smartest guy in the room possibly because they’re the only ones that have their batshit opinions on many things

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #273 on: May 21, 2018, 10:49:03 am »
nah based on experience and those I know who passionately hate the royals are people who have done fuck all in life, can’t take any responsibility for themselves but still think they’re the smartest guy in the room possibly because they’re the only ones that have their batshit opinions on many things
Based on your experiences though, you should've left it at that. Look up and see the voting, you claiming all of them are 'mostly bitter losers in life'?
Besides even if you have done fuck all in life you still have the right to disagree/hate the royals. Its not as if the royals themselves (bar the odd one) have done that much. Even the stuff they actually do (join the army) there helped all the way.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #274 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:04 am »
what has socialists from Liverpool got to do with my point?

You appear to have called every Socialist in Liverpool who isn't a Royalist a 'Bitter loser'

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #275 on: May 21, 2018, 11:06:41 am »

You come across as one of those people who think the Tories are the ones who have given them an opportunity in life, instead of seeing that people mostly do things for themselves. What`s your definition of having "done fuck all in life"? Some people might have modest achievements by your lofty standards, but raising a family, going to work every day and trying to be a decent person, is not "fuck all". Many of us do these little things, we don`t care about money, or chasing the shiniest possessions etc, but get angry at greed and unfairness in our society, especially when it`s designed to keeping people in their place and is a waste of resources.

£30m for a wedding or people who can afford it themselves if they want. That money, or whatever amount of money was wasted on it could have been put to good use.

The monarchy is still there because it`s the figurehead for the establishment that runs this country, no matter which shade of party currently sits in Downing Street. That`s all.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Marcel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #276 on: May 21, 2018, 11:13:27 am »
I mean I think the main point is, priority for government or not, regardless of how bitter your friends may be, there should not be a family with a right to a higher status than the rest us from birth. At least with the rich kid inheriting the business example, in theory anyone could put themselves or their family in the same position. Not true for the royal family. They're just 'royal' because they are. It makes literally zero sense anymore.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:44 am »
Based on your experiences though, you should've left it at that. Look up and see the voting, you claiming all of them are 'mostly bitter losers in life'?
Besides even if you have done fuck all in life you still have the right to disagree/hate the royals. Its not as if the royals themselves (bar the odd one) have done that much. Even the stuff they actually do (join the army) there helped all the way.
its people who blame everyone but themselves for their failings in life instead of looking in the mirror

And I’m not talking about people who dislike them, it’s the ones who have a passionate hate of them who I’ve always find have this attitude to them and people who’ve perceived to have done well in life

You appear to have called every Socialist in Liverpool who isn't a Royalist a 'Bitter loser'
have i? Didn’t know you polled them all

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:33 am »
A snide comment.
Done fuck all in life... can't take responsibility... think they're the smartest people in the room... Irrespective of what views are being talked about, the arrogance and contempt drips off these comments, sounds like the sort of attitude you'd expect from opinion piece from the Daily Mail, feckless, workshy paupers, give them a damn good trashing and they still don't know their place.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2018, 11:51:58 am »

:lmao jumping the shark here...ridiculous assumptions.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.